[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is C really that hard to learn? If I spend 5 hours tomorrow reading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

File: 1500087208835.png (70KB, 645x729px) Image search: [Google]
1500087208835.png
70KB, 645x729px
Is C really that hard to learn? If I spend 5 hours tomorrow reading a book on C (don't even know which one), will I make progress?

Pic semi related
>>
>>61382274
Yes... What? What are you responding affirmative to.
>>
>>61382265
depends on how severe your autism is
>>
Reading is not enough though
>>
>>61382265
no

what's hard is dealing with legacy shitware paradigms and also realizing the language is a pita due to shitty abstractions.
>>
look up cs50x it's not hard i promise
>>
>>61382303
Yeah I know that. I would do the practice problems and exercises at the end of each chapter.
>>
File: 13843432847.jpg (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
13843432847.jpg
5KB, 225x225px
>>61382265
>Is skydiving really that hard to learn? If I spend 5 hours tomorrow reading a book on skydiving (don't even know which one), will I make progress?
No, dumbass. You learn by doing the same thing over and over. It's called practicing. A book isn't going to teach you shit. Open your fucking text editor and watch Pajeet's video on C. Do as Pajeet does and you'll learn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CpG3oATGIs
>>
>>61382598
There are programming exercises and challenges in programming books, retard. No one here is suggesting to simply read a book.
>>
>>61382611
What year is this? 1985? Listen to Pajeet.
>>
>>61382265
>will I make progress

You sure will. Just make sure you put the other 9995 hours in, to really master it.
>>
No, C-fags just spread false propaganda to inflate their self-worth. C and low-level programming in general are hardly the most difficult and complex programming tasks there are.
>>
>>61382648
>t. can't manage his own memory
>>
>>61382658
Yeah, manual memory management in particular is something that C-fags think makes them geniuses.
>>
>>61382622
No, I am not watching yotube series that is supposed to "teach" programming. Reading and doing practice exercises is better.
>>
>>61382265
>5 hours
If you already know a real language like Java then that's more than enough.
>>
File: download.jpg (19KB, 480x488px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
19KB, 480x488px
>>61382598
>learning C from a youtube video
kek
>>
>>61382829
>a real language like java
>>
>>61382914
Gr8 b8 m8
>>
>>61382265
i would suggest you to learn the basics and then start doing diferent projects and looking at other people's source code.When you don't understand or know how to code something you can use google.stack overflow has a lot of common questions answeared and you can ask there too. But i could be wrong, this could be a bad way of learning a language idk. i like it because it is more interesting than reading a book in my opinion.
>>
>>61382265
5 hours to learn the syntax is plenty of time.

Anything you try to write will be bugridden shit full of security flaws, though.
>>
Not OP but I was talking with an older developer

>Hey I know some Java and we are being taught MATLAB
>Learn C too if you can

Why do they always talk about C? Whats so special?

>Java is like fighting with silicone dildos, C is like fighting with swords
>>
>>61382265
You won't get far enough to do anything useful, just like with everything else in your life.
>>
>>61382265
>Is C really that hard to learn?
It is not.
The entire point of C is that it is a very Compact low level language.
If you understand how a computer works C will be somewhat intuitive because it was designed for exactly that purpose.
Compared to C++, C is very easy to learn.

BUT you do not learn programming by reading. You learn it by using the language.
>>
>>61383170
>Why do they always talk about C?
Because it is still a very important language.

You may never actually program in C, but everything you learn will be applicable to other things, just consider that C++ is nearly a superset of C.

It is tought in the 1. semester of my university for exactly that reason. It is the one programming language where everything you will learn is important and will be applicable to everything else you will do.

Also it was actually designed by people with a brain, unlike Matlab which is probably the worst language I have ever used.
>>
>>61382265
Depends on which libraries you load to have fun with it.

SDL will make you happy, windows will make you sad.
>>
>>61384011
And D3D5 will make you insane.
>>
C is easy to learn. Writing good code is difficult.
>>
>>61382914
he's right tho
>here's everything from Java that isn't in C
>here's pointers, how and why to use them and arithmetics
>here are arrays
>here are mem functions
>here are string functions
>here are IO functions
>here are macros
>how includes work
And you're basically done. C is a great language because of it's simplicity.
>>
File: .jpg (895KB, 1280x2108px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
895KB, 1280x2108px
>>61382265
C is unironically the easiest language to get your head around; you only have to remember like 4 things. variables, functions, pointers/arrays, and structs. thats it thats the entire shitty language

spend a few days on it and then move on to something more powerful like python

you can learn the entire C language in 2 housr just by reading and doing problems from K&R
>>
>>61384342
>>61384771
it's like chess. You can learn the pieces and how they move quickly and easily. Then you spend years and years learning how to not suck at using them.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.