[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm starting Computer Science this fall, what kind of computer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

I'm starting Computer Science this fall, what kind of computer should I get? Should I get a Mac or PC? I'm mostly used to Mac but maybe PC is more ubiquitous in CS?
>>
>>61380724
Get a thinkpad and dualboot Ubuntu and Windows
>>
File: stallman543.jpg (159KB, 639x827px) Image search: [Google]
stallman543.jpg
159KB, 639x827px
>>61380724
>maybe PC is more ubiquitous in CS?

No.
>>
File: 1492416348364.jpg (2MB, 5120x2880px) Image search: [Google]
1492416348364.jpg
2MB, 5120x2880px
>>61380724
mac os
>>
>>61380724
macOS on a T420
>>
>>61380733
Note on ubuntu,
get a distro with a different DE, such as Kubuntu.
>>
>>61380733
+1

Get a older thinkpad so your not tempted to play games and will actually learn stuff.
>>
>>61380760
Op of Ubuntu comment. Agreed. Kubuntu is pretty comfortable
>>
>I'm starting Computer Science this fall, what kind of computer should I get?
Whatever you like.

>maybe PC is more ubiquitous in CS?
Probably. But it matters not, for you can use whatever computer you like.
>>
>>61380724
Mac. Trust me, if you're actually doing work on it, it will be easier to do coding and *nix stuff than windows, and it will be easier to deal with then either windows or Linux.

Don't get me wrong, I love Linux, and if you don't have the money to spend definitely grab something cheap USB and toss Linux in there, but if you can afford it, get a mbp. It's got great productivity apps, like Fantastical and Airmail, and shit like that that makes it worth it. Linux is getting closer, but it still has gaps in available software, and usability.
>>
>>61380760
Not OP of Ubuntu comment. Disagreed. Kubuntu is sheit. Try Xubuntu.
>>
>>61380724
Whatever you want. The principles of computer science apply equally to each platform. My advice is not to get a laptop. All laptops are shit.
>>
>>61380795
'ello Tim C(r)ook
>>
>>61380733
This would be your best bet.
>>
>>61380724
i'm not a fan of apple, and i'm a thinkpad fanboy too but my honest answer is get a mac if you can afford
you can install other (better) operating systems, but if in any case it becomes more convenient to use a macOS, you can easily use macOS, instead of having to jump through hoops
>>
>>61380819
I'm not even memeing to be honest. I use Linux in my home machines, but when you're dealing with retarded shit, be it schoolwork or just regular work, the last thing you want to deal with is some unexpected breakage or gap in feature set. Windows sucks massive dick in terms of stability and reliability, and Linux has a lot of gaps in usability.
>>
>>61380724
No one cares about you or what product you buy. If you have to ask this question you're probably a fucking idiot to begin with.
>>
File: 1470662656387.png (1MB, 800x4480px) Image search: [Google]
1470662656387.png
1MB, 800x4480px
>>61380724
>>
>>61380724
It is very likely your schools course does in fact have a recommendation for this
>>
>>61380724
Do what I did, buy cheapest Chromebook possible, then use Crouton to use linux in a chroot.

>in b4 botnet

It's light as fuck, cheap as fuck, solid state drive, so you can take it everywhere without even thinking about it and bang it around without worrying about breaking it. It can do 99% of everything you need to do for CS, anything else just ssh into your school's servers.
>>
>>61380724
It's all different flavors of the same shit. Use whatever you like.

I like Thinkpads though.
>>
Why would you get a new mac?
That's a really stupid question.
You can't even install Linux on a new mac.
All mac command line tools are non-standard.
The OS X terminal doesn't even have bash completions.
System Integrity Protection wrecks everything under /usr/
You can't even get updates for software without creating an App store account

Mac is horrible. Below shit tier. Walled garden morons use Macs. Are you a walled garden moron? No? Then get a decent machine.

Razer Blade Stealth
Dell XPS 13
>>
If you're going to learn C++ or C# and will be using MS Visual Studio don't bother with mac or linux unless you want to use a VM
>>
>>61381727
I have never in my entire life heard of a non-elective CS course that uses C# as a requirement.
>>
>>61381752
I did Data Structures and Algorithms 2 this semester and we worked with C++.

Next semester I have a course that focuses on design patterns, clean code, etc. in which we use C# and Entity framework.
>>
>>61380724
Figure out what classes you're taking first and see what they require. Don't be afraid of talking to your professors either.
>>
>>61381771
C++ is normal
C# is an extreme outlier, and you should not base your college laptop purchase around it
>>
>>61381771
>>61381787
Also that sounds like an elective
>>
>>61381787
Sure, but if anon has a course like that and he goes for a mac or wants to use exclusively linux he's going to run into trouble.

>>61381791
It's not.
>>
>>61381752
Maybe he's from outside 'murka.
Poland here and one of my programming classes had mandatory C#.
>>
>>61380795
>>61380940
This guy's right desu, all your shitposting can be done from macOS almost as efficiently as linux. Tinkering your distro is the worst way to spend a day tbqh
>>
>>61380724
Find out from the school if you'll be doing work at the computer labs in class or have to bring your own laptop.
In either case, I'd recommend either a thinkpad or else a dell lattitude.
Thinkpad T series is ideal. But most of them should be fine.

I'd strongly advise looking into ones with good battery life and get something that's roughly as heavy, place it in your backpack along with anything else you'll carry and see how it feels walking around for a while. That tends to be the biggest problem for people is they don't like the weight.

If you want something very slim/small, you can go with the X series.
>>
it doesnt matter lol, CS is not about computer or operating systems
>>
>>61380724
>should I get a mac or pc?
reconsider your major, try something like web design
>>
>>61381989
Same anon adding to this.

What:

>>61381384

posted is very accurate. Outside of really advanced stuff, you won't need more tha 8GB of RAM or beyond an i3 (5th gen onwards)u processor.

But I would recommend the thinkpad T or X series with long battery life. Solely because you will be able to practice outside in different enivronments for more than 4 hours.
>>
>>61380724
You shouldn't be doing computer science if you can't tell an OS and the name of a computer apart
>>
>>61380724
>having so much of a victim complex that choosing to use something that isnt mainstream is in your head being brutally assaulted by everyone else
What can we do about the macfag problem?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (78KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
78KB, 1280x720px
It could be worth getting USED Macbook and using a virtual machine with Windows and Linux. That way you get experience with all three which is be beneficial.

I was principally opposed to using Mac anything. It ended up setting me back a bit when I got into an IT position. I can hold my own with the best on Windows, but I looked like a real noobie on Mac.
>>
>>61380795
Wtf is
>*nix stuff
exactly? I see mactoddlers use this buzzword all the time.
>>
File: 2017-07-15-025839_1366x768_scrot.png (953KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-15-025839_1366x768_scrot.png
953KB, 1366x768px
>>61380801
seconding this, xubuntu is very nice
>>
>>61380724
>Should I get a Mac or PC? I'm mostly used to Mac but maybe PC is more ubiquitous in CS?

You can start by fucking off from any computer-related trade/university and don't even walk near them until you fixed your fucking retarded "le mac vs. le pc" mentality.

Protip nigger: modern macs are PCs both as in personal computer and IBM PC compatible.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.