[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ThinkPad - Testing before Buying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: images(2).jpg (30KB, 500x444px) Image search: [Google]
images(2).jpg
30KB, 500x444px
Time to get serious /g/.
We need a comprehensive guide, listing all the things to look for before buying a ThinkPad.
>Physical Inspection - parts which commonly break
>Hardware - ???
>Encrypted shit - BIOS, etc
>Software - most come with Windows so we need quick ways to check things while buying.
Let's compile a checklist that we can quickly tick off while buying a used MemeMachineā„¢
>Better if we can get a model specific list. Example: The palmrest near the card slot on the x230 known to break, supposedly.

inb4: read the buyers guide faggot.
That's not enough.
>>
>>61374871
missing screws
cum stains
locked bios
computrace
bedbugs*

* only in america
>>
>>61374980
Yes but how exactly to check? Like how you know if computrace is enabled?
>>
>>61374980
Yes OP, cum stains is a very important one. You must always check that there's enough of it under the keys for proper tactile crunchiness when typing.
>>
>>61374980
>bedbugs
Dafaq?
>>
>>61375074
How the fuck are you supposed to check cum stains? Won't it wipe off plastic? If at all it's there it'll be beneth the keys, where you can't look anyway. Also remember you got to do all this in the 20 or so mins you spend with the piece before buying
>>
>>61375058
bios -> security -> anti-theft or something like that -> computrace

then make sure it's disabled or disable it, if you can't then the bios is locked
>>
>>61375119
Wha about HDD? Will they generally last another few years or should one immediately get an SDD? How long should one expect the SDD to last? Considering light everyday light usage and not running the thinkpad as a personal futa server.
>>
>>61375246
Dunno, personally i don't mind having second hand used drives as long as they store non-crucial data, for a main OS drive i'm always going to use an SSD because i've been spoiled by SSDs already.

>How long should one expect the SDD to last?
certainly more than your average hdd
>>
>>61375327
Dust and the heat sink being clogged?
>>
>>61375119
I made the mistake and bought and HP with an locked bios, how do I unlock it?
>>
>>61374980
>>61375077
Americans sleep with their computers so their dark skinned neighbors don't steal them. They also inherit bed bugs from their dark skinned neighbors and in case you don't know, they'll infest anything near the bed.
>>
>>61375372
what

just clean it
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.