[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here a successful self taught programmer? I am a 23 year

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

File: 1310190179002.jpg (45KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1310190179002.jpg
45KB, 600x600px
Anyone here a successful self taught programmer?

I am a 23 year old loser who works in a call center, I been taking some classes on the side that would help me work my way deeper into an IT support role; but seeing people who are able to program seems so much more impressive to me. I think it would be fantastic to have that skill not just to get a job as a programmer (although that seems like a nice benchmark) but also to create my own shit.

I have been fucking with Java lately to get an understanding of OOP but this is not the first time I tried. I always get overwhelmed and feel like I started to late. If you are a programmer happy with their abilities who taught themselves how did you do it? Not just what did you use but how did you approach it? How long were you at it before you started feeling any sort of satisfaction in your abilities?

Any help would be huge right now, thanks /g/.
>>
>>61369026
1. Programming is a shit job
2. Be lucky you don't have to do that shit job.
3. Everything under CS is just monkeyshit.
4. Kys
>>
>>61369706
This. If you want to move ahead, look into getting an electrical engineering degree.
>>
>>61369026
I'm interviewing for a position this tuesday.
I'm almost completly self-taught.
I feel like I'm underqualified and unlikely to get the job though.
>>61369706
Why is it a shit job?
>>
>>61369026
>I always get overwhelmed
then stop quitting faggot
>>
>>61369760
It's a shit job here in pajeet land. Especially java/C/C++ programmers. Wagecucks finish up/code the stuff you outsource.
I got an electronics degree but I barely understood shit. Also, electronics jobs are scarce here up north. I'm studying web dev so I can get a masters in computer science from a first world country.
@OP: Look up the stuff that's in demand in your town/city. Read up on what skillset they require, and go for something simple like web dev/design instead of Java codemonkey or "game dev". Those are soul crushing profiles, but that depends entirely on where you work I presume.
>>
>>61369026
hey bro, no need for java, back in the day i started on a shitty spectrum+ coding basic. it was cool, but simple, a lot simpler than java. later on I just did some javascript and making websites and shit because browsers are on every computer and you can just hack stuff together and it'll do something. just keep plugging away, before you know it you will think javascript is shit and that you should only use arrows in haskell and will make fun of anyone who doesn't know category theory, and everyone who can't write their own generational garbage collector is a faggot. Point is, that its more persistence than being smart. the best programmer I know is dumb as fuck.
>>
>>61369760
Just stick with IT lad. Programming is quickly becoming meme tier and doesn't pay nearly as well as it used too.
>>
>>61369948
IT sounds boring as fuck.
I don't want to fix Windows all day
>>
>>61369760
1. There are companies that wont let you leave till youve finished solving a bug.
2. You're behind a computer all day for the rest of your life
3. No one will understand what u do
4. All your coworkers have autism
>>
>>61369026
I'm 24 atm, never had a univershitty degree, learned programming by myself. I don't know what to recommend to you. I've been interested in it since I was a kid and it always came naturally to me and I always enjoyed it. If you are "overwhelmed", don't do this shit, it is not for you and even if you manage to acquire enough programming skills you will absolutely hate your fucking job.
>>
>>61369977
>1. There are companies that wont let you leave till youve finished solving a bug.
I know a guy who works there and it's not like that
>2. You're behind a computer all day for the rest of your life
This is kind of shit. Most jobs are like that now though.
>3. No one will understand what u do
I'm studying maths so no one understands what I do anyway.
>4. All your coworkers have autism
I'm studying maths so I'm used to dealing with autism
>>
>>61369966
Programming is worse pays significantly less and will be outsourced more easily.
>>
>>61370077
you are a fucking moron, enjoy losing your shitty infrastructure job to cloud computing.
Don't listen to this faggot, all the IT jobs are going to india or cloud automation.
>>
>>61370077
As opposed to IT, which is already outsourced?
>>
>>61370077
Not where I live
>>
>>61369026
im almost completely self taught because ive been programming since i was a kid.
only went to uni for the degree because i barely learned anything valuable there and am currently working as a webdev.
>b-but thats not real programming
although i know every major prpgramming language i just think webdev is cooler since you see your finished product faster and a single person can be in charge of a whole website from scratch instead of being a pajeet making a minor classes in java.
>>
>>61370033
>youre behind a computer all day for the rest of your life
>this is kind of shit
but anon youre already on 4chan all day when youre home
>>
>Don't do IT, it's getting outsourced and you can do stuff on the cloud
>Don't do programming, it's getting outsourced, it's a hard and shitty job

WHAT DO I DO? I'm in the same position as OP or maybe even worse, i'm fucking 27 years and i woke up too late. I have literally nothing in my CV because i've worked in a shitty restaurant all my life.

Please help.
>>
>>61370310
If you didn't start burning your eyes with code when you were 11, don't bother. Switchers are horrible programmers and very unhappy people.
>>
>>61370310
just learn some language do something with that language and put it on cv
>>
>>61369026
Personally I think it is better to learn programming in a class. That way you definitely learn the fundamentals and standards. You should also learn on your own but learning on your own shouldn't supplement quality education.
>>
>>61370032
>If you are "overwhelmed", don't do this shit, it is not for you and even if you manage to acquire enough programming skills you will absolutely hate your fucking job.
he's learning professional java though

everybody gets overwhelmed with that shit, even good uni students
>>
>>61369026
I have a bachelors in chemistry (EU) and started programming C# last year. It's actually much easier than chemistry and I got a job after the 3rd interview. However, I don't make much for now. Still the job is easy, enjoyable and most of the time everyone seems to be scratching their balls. Especially the Seniors.
>>
>>61370310
Get into a cheap college program, make connections and do internships. If you can't make friends because no one wants you because you're an old fart, sell your soul to a boot camp and recruiting agency who'll market you.

t. wizard who started coding at 28 and employed after doing nothing but odd jobs and volunteer work for years.
>>
File: 1498532971185.jpg (102KB, 1024x671px) Image search: [Google]
1498532971185.jpg
102KB, 1024x671px
op here, this is what i have been going through recently.

http://mooc.fi/courses/2013/programming-part-1/

seems cool, I'm digging it, completing the exercises, a lot of the early bits make up the entirety of what I found working through the codecademy courses so I feel like this is a better source for me. frustration doesn't come from finding the work difficult, it just feels remedial and that the gap between this and what i want to know is so massive when i look into big github projects and the like.

Say i commit to finishing these courses, (some of the later lessons actually look kind of fun), what does the path from there to someone who can identify exactly what he has to learn to make the thing he wants look like?
>>
>>61370686
you can write android apps in java, nothing is more fun than writing your own shit for yourself and possible others
>>
>>61370753

after finishing that? sounds neat if so
>>
>>61370686

>7am
>already seeing high test pics

wew youre getting my started early
>>
>>61369026
>>61370310
I taught myself programming starting at about age 27. I had taken a programming class in high school and enjoyed it, but then between age 18 and age 27 I barely did anything tech-related at all because I threw all my energy into art and humanities. At around age 26 I fell in love with mathematics and programming and started spending hours every day learning about both. I got my first software development job, entry level web dev but at least it was a foot in the door, at age 32. However, this was not at all because it had to take me that long. I just fucked around for a long time when I should have tried to get a job much sooner. At the pace I was learning, if I had seriously tried to get a job I could have gotten one probably after only 2 or 3 years of learning programming, there was really no reason I had to have waited a whole 6 years.
I first taught myself Python, then C, then Javascript.
What made it pretty easy and fun was that I already had certain things in mind that I wanted to do. If you just learn programming purely because you want money, you can do it, but it's easier if you have some sort of passion, something that you want to get a computer to do that it doesn't do yet. In my case, I was interested in writing programs that would generate music and images algorithmically. I had various ideas that I wanted to try implementing. So there was a drive behind my programming beyond simply wanting $. But if you just want $, you can do that too. However, I think that in order to be a programmer you at least need to have some basic degree of love for abstraction and pattern, otherwise it won't be any fun.
I started to feel satisfaction in my abilities almost as soon as I started trying to program. My first code sucked, but it was satisfying because I enjoyed the feeling of creating abstractions, then abstractions on top of those abstractions. I enjoyed refactoring, improving my code. Etc. So there was satisfaction right away.
>>
>>61370393
>>61370613
>>61371123
Thanks for the tips guys. I need any kind of help to get through this. I'll do my best and study every day.
>>
I am(if being a code artisian crafting fine strands of node.js scalable code is considered programming), but honestly just go get a degree, if I wasnt working in this field at this point I wouldnt even be thinking about self studying.
>>
>>61370686
Idk if you're still here anon, but stick with this course. It seems to easy but part of the course is more challenging, you have to actually implement projects yourself without them just doing it all for you
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.