[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

VMware vs Hyper-V

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: windows2012-vs-vSphere5.jpg (10KB, 272x236px) Image search: [Google]
windows2012-vs-vSphere5.jpg
10KB, 272x236px
I ordered a ThinkPad P51 that's being delivered in the morning
>2.9 Core i7-7820HQ
>16GB DDR4
>512GB PCIe M2 SSD
>Quadro M2200M
>4K

I have been getting by with a Windows 7 VM on a Late 2011 MacBook Pro after my last ThinkPad died. I've been reading reviews online about the benefits/cons of VMware and Hyper-V; some say I should expect better performance and stability with Hyper-V, and others don't see a difference.

I also don't need 3D accelerated graphics within the VM, just the basic 2D adapter.

Any current insight into VMware Workstation vs Client Hyper-V in Windows 10 LTSB?
Is it worth spending a few hours configuring a new VM for Hyper-V, or will I be fine just moving over my existing VM for VMware?
>>
Install Gentoo
>>
File: 37492.jpg (65KB, 854x640px) Image search: [Google]
37492.jpg
65KB, 854x640px
>>61368605
>>
>>61367888
I am curious as to how well VM's run in Hyper-B as opposed to VMware. Please respond!
>>
KVM on Linux is the only sane option.
>>
>>61367888
Workstation 12 just werks for me. There's a product key posted somewhere in the archives.
>>
Why the f would you choose hyper-v over VMware kek
>>
>>61368905
more stable device drivers and less overhead as a bare-metal hypervisor
>>
>>61367888
Hyper-V works really well out of the box and is free
>>
Hyper-V runs Windows VMs very well, any other OS you're gonna use a gooey for VMware will do better
>>
>>61367888
Why do you want to run it in a VM, out of curiosity?
>>
>>61369083
>>61369190
Thanks for the replies!
Is the version of Hyper-V in Creators Update different at all compared to LTSB? Debating whether to format the drive with LTSB or try to remove the bloat from Pro.

>>61369723
I'm a partner of a company with national locations; my other partner is very paranoid about conducting any upgrades past Windows 7 to the computers on our systems. The software we use for administration was contracted out and has some compatibility issues with Windows 8 and above, but we'll have a transition plan as we approach the extended support end date. Rather than have a dedicated PC for it, it's easier to just VM it.
>>
>>61369902
Yeah that sounds exactly what you'd wanna use a VM for, probably just use VMWare Workstation, virtualbox or any other one for use on a desktop. Though some of the other anons are right, Hyper-V Does a good job with Windows VMs, so I'd try that first.

I'm very aware of silly requirements for software to run, paranoid users, and other stuff that forces you to use vms for business. Good luck anon!
>>
>>61367888
My 2c.

Hyper-V is fantastic, so long as you're willing to put up with its quirks. Some things are a little weird when it comes to creating virtual networks.

VMware is great, but I've had some weird problems with Workstation 12. Crashes, instability, weird problems with NAT... 10 and before was great, but the latest one is kinda fucky.

Another thing is that Hyper-V has much better dynamic memory allocation and processor scheduling. For example, some VMs of mine eat up 8gb on boot but give most of it up once they're running... Vmware will often hold onto most of it as inactive and choke out other machines.
>>
>>61369952
I think they have a skeleton crew maintaining Workstation 12 now as they fired the development team.
>>
>>61369952
Thanks for the info!
I do recall the network stack via VMware is not a very advanced one. Seems like I had heard about someone using a program in a VM that was supposed to block any connection to the Internet should their office VPN connection break, but VMware ignored it and was still allowing access.
>>61369984
Oh man, I completely forgot about that.
Seems like the general consensus here is that Hyper-V is a good replacement.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.