[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/pmp/ Portable Media Players

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 16

File: pmp ipod op pic 2.jpg (222KB, 917x773px) Image search: [Google]
pmp ipod op pic 2.jpg
222KB, 917x773px
Personal/portable music player thread /pmp/

What up /pmp/'s, so we've been having these threads for a while now and I noticed some of you prefer it to be called /dap/ since it's more of a catch-all. Is a vote on this needed or are you guys okay with the name as is?

Useful Guide(s)
• The General /pmp/ Guide has been updated again, thanks to your efforts >>61354899 https://spit.mixtape.moe/view/fefcb363
• Converting an iPod video 5G/5.5G to a rockboxed player with an msata SSD and a 3000 mAh battery http://nullvoid.station.moe/Freedom-Hardware/Video5G-Rockbox/
• Third party battery guide
https://www.iflash.xyz/3rd-party-extended-battery-guide/Guide for iPod 6G/7G needs adding/making
• Rockbox 3.14 released, significant battery increase compared to 3.13. The battery increase was from the cpu scaling patches, which has been available on dev builds for a (long) while.
• Reminder to use Rockbox DEV builds when available.
• Use the SonyNWDestTool to remove the volume limiter/warnings on most of the Walkman series
https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool
• Please keep taking nice pics of your /pmp/'s so that they can be used as OP pics, I'm going through them in order of posting so yours will come up eventually.

News
• Anon manages to open his old iPod >>61290829
• Anon reps for Xduoo X3 >>61291063
• Some /csg/ finds about the Walnut v3 and new Zishan >>61291095 as well as a Walnut V2 + Zishan Z1 review >>61258120
• Anon got a PLENUE D but isn't too happy about the colour >>61293570
• Hi >>61293998
• Anon in search of Rockbox Theme recs >>61295356
• Anon has the Benji T6 >>61296321 posts thoughts >>61307739
• Another anon posts his thoughts about the same Rocker >>61330523
• Anon Canyin N5 broke, downgraded to the N3 >>61311507
• Anon finds his old Zune brick >>61331416
• Nice pictures lads >>61332851 >>61332985 >>61333026 >>61333201
• We're responsible for anon's pmp addiction >>61335920

Previous thread >>61290794
>>
good earphones for under 50$ ?
>>
>>61362413
Really?
>>>/g/hpg/
>>
is this a sick new subreddit?
>>
>>61355013
xduoo x3

>>61362413
I have had the monoprice meme iems and they're ok

I have also had fonge s500 and they're underrated, rec to use with foam tips

otherwise browse https://www.audiobudget.com

also >>>/g/hpg/ this isn't really the tread for these Qs and those two links should be in OP
>>
>>61362443
woa is this total fresh newfag from dare say /reddit/?

neato! my newfriend
>>
File: bby.jpg (161KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
bby.jpg
161KB, 900x900px
You guys seen Baby Driver yet? The main character has an iPod on him the whole movie.
Pretty good movie, too. The story is a little generic, but the way that everything is synced with the soundtrack is rad as hell, and the car chases are superb.
>>
File: biggie.gif (121KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
biggie.gif
121KB, 500x500px
Help me decide on something, fellas
I wanted to buy a Fiio X1 ii, but after nearly a year it still has software bugs and gapless playback still doesn't work 100% of the time? Wtf?
Don't want to get an X1 i cause of the scroll wheel issues. Don't want to spend the money on an X3.
So basically I'm stuck between 2 options I'd like:
>U2 iPod 5.5, likely the guts of a regular 5.5 with chink parts swapped out. Comes with accessories. 60gb. About $100.
>U2 iPod 6, definitely the guts of a regular 6 with chink parts swapped out. 80gb. About $150 when taxes and shipping factored in.
Both look the way I'd like, but the 6th gen's face would be less scratch-prone, but then again the 5.5 has the big dick DAC everyone likes and will be easier to open when I need to replace the battery or something, but then again the 6th gen will be a little nicer software-wise and be overall slimmer...
>Wat do
>>
>>61363852
if you cut out the fight from the last ten min and had buddy die in the diner when baby shot him, would have been a way better movie
>>
>>61363959

5.5 with new battery
if you gotta open them up anyhow, do the sd card conversion. rockbox it, and get a clear vinyl skin for it, after buffing out the finish.
>>
>>61364423
Does anyone still sell skins for the iPod 5? Any of them any good?
And I was thinking of holding off on the new battery and SD card stuff cause the seller says he gutted a battery from an iPod 7 and a new hard drive from someplace, I assume another iPod 5. The same guy has listings for like $400 for an iPod 7 with the SSD mod and $350 for the iPod 5.5 with the SSD mod and some Sony battery.
Anyway, if you could tell me where I could get some good clear skins, that would be great. I wouldn't mind swapping one out every year or so until I stop caring and buy some DAP that sucks my dick.
Also, doesn't Rockbox have problems with the SD mod?
>>
What's the new budget king now that Clip+ is no more? Anything Rockboxable or with a parametric EQ?
>>
>>61364516
for the skins, if there arent any decent to good ones on ebay, look for a sign and vinyl graphics shop in your area. some of the ones where i used to live had the outline maps for the vinyl cutters for all the PMP's and did custom stuff for laptops too for shit and giggles. I had my T60 done with a pimp as fuck gumball 3000 style lamborghini chrome gold wrap. cost me $20.

pic is related. this isnt a paintjob, its a wrap. much cheaper to get done and easier to do as well. I turned a bunch of the nerdniks on to the guy and they all had their shit done up in some cringey as fuck reddit memery.
>>
>>61364566
Probably something like the Agptek A26 or G05S. The former is like a bootleg Clip+, the latter like a Clip Sport. Not sure if either are getting Rockbox.
The Agptek Rocker is a little under $70 and devs have confirmed to be working on a Rockbox port, although who knows if it'll come.
>>
>>61364980
Thanks pal
If the seller accepts my offer than I'll pick up a few packs of screen protectors off ebay and get red and black vinyl skins to keep the same color scheme w/o the scratches. Makes me wonder why I don't get a cheaper iPod and pretend I have the U2 one, lol. At least I'm getting new parts.
>>
>>61365381
I just ordered a 2G iPod mini and the sd to cf converter myself, all in, I'm out $30 for it so far
>>
>tfw i want to get an U2 edition frontplate so i can have a weird black and grey ipod
>>
>have 2nd gen ipod nano or whatever
>no rockbox support
ah man
>>
File: fddd.png (54KB, 665x843px) Image search: [Google]
fddd.png
54KB, 665x843px
>>61365489
>>
>>61365507
when did this happen
>>
>>61365517
May
>>
>>61365435
$30 just for the converter? I think once I have all the accessories I want, I'm gonna end up being out ~$200. Not bad for something I've wanted since 2005, I think.
I actually have the latest iPod Nano sitting in my desk drawer. My old man bought it and gave it to me when he realized he could use his phone to listen to music on YouTube. I used it for about 2 months, but he did some shit to it that caused the LCD to always have red vertical lines a pixel wide show up every now and again. I haven't turned it on in months; I'm afraid that if I do the screen's gonna be broken.
I also have a Clip+ sitting on my desk, but my humanity compels me to keep buying shit I don't need, I guess.
>>
Anyone here own an LG V20 and use that as their PMP??
>>
>>61365587
Does that have any special LG-only software? If not, yeah, there are probably plenty of people here using their Android phones as PMPs. True PMPs, really, since people are likely to use that to watch YouTube, Netflix, etc alongside music. Not sure why we're using the phrase "Portable Media Player" when most of us are only concerned with music. /dap/ makes more sense, really.
>>
>>61365700
>Plenty of people use their Android phones as PMPs
Thanks dipshit. I'm asking because the V20 has a Quad-DAC in it, and wanted to see if anyone here could compare it to other devices they've used.
>>
File: ((why))).jpg (16KB, 500x558px) Image search: [Google]
((why))).jpg
16KB, 500x558px
>install rockbox on clip+
>can only browse by filename
>mfw
is there seriously not a way to browse by the title tag?
>>
>>61365570
no, for both the ipod mini and the converter.

>>61365453
i dated a girl who had that and the RED ones, when the ipod photo version of that came out. her brother is capt nuggies the autism avenger and he still has like 5 harry potter special editions sealed in box.
>>
>>61365752
I just want to have a weird ipod that wears the skin of other ipods. I was considering getting a HP back too because this one is engraved.
>capt nuggies
No idea what that is a reference to.
>>
>>61365746
Does it have a directory feature? I can browse by that in there on my ipod
>>
>>61365823
chicken tendies/nuggets.

I sort of would like to bring the ipod mini to where my brother works where they have a laser that can do fine engraving and squiggle it up after polishing it to a mirror and anodizing it.
>>
>>61365857
I don't remember. I'll reinstall and see if it works
>>
>>61365869
Sounds cool but the battery it's going to die regardless.

You need to mod it.
>>
I took my Zune HD for a bike ride today for the first time in years. It's so much smaller and lighter than taking my phone with me. The only downside is that there aren't any hardware volume controls, but I can live with that
>>
>>61365752
Really? The converter alone is $30 on iflash, so how did you end up scoring both for that little?
Great find! Hope your modding goes well.
>>
>>61365902
im the guy that bought the cf converter. im going to get a battery for it too and if i got it broken down enough to do that, im going to polish it anyhow. I just need to build a micro anodizing rig. I would like to do it up in a gaudy as fuck finish like a 90's paintball gun.
>>
>>61365923
If it doesnt glow in the dark, you arent trying hard enough.
>>
>>61365914
its a CF to SD converter. generic red one like the last thread recommended. it was like $10. supposed to plug n play.

link for those interested
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-SD-SDHC-to-Compact-Flash-CF-1-Type-I-Card-Adapter-Converter-16GB-32GB-64GB-/332142795849

>>61365946
WHO SAYS IT WONT NIGGA? ALL MY HOES GLOW.
thats actually a neat idea. im going to have to get some of that glowinc stuff.
>>
>>61365907
thanks for the blog entry, bro.
>>
>>61365992
Oh, gotcha. But doesn't that mean that you still have to buy the Zip to CF converter on top of that?
And how did you find an iPod for $20? Hard drive failure?
>>
>>61363852
He has a great colllection. I'd love to build mine up that well. Only have 3 so far:(
>>
>>61363959
I love the dac in my 7th gen even more than the one in my iPod Color, so I'd go with the 6th.

Actually, I'd by both right now, and mod the 6th.
>>
>>61366033
nope. mini's HDD are the same form factor and plug as CF cards. its a direct fit.. theres a guy that shows that on youtube.

It was a buy it now at 2AM so i jumped on it.
>>
>>61365992
>supposed to plug n play.
It was never really confirmed with source, but i hope it works too because im the one who first posted it and i bought it before that anon posted.
>>61366033
Old ipods are cheap as fuck. I got the 4th gen in the OP for $20 because its engraved, quite scratched, and had a dead battery.
>>
>>61366087
Good shit mate. Best of luck in your /pmp/ journey.
>>61366094
Yeah, I guess so. My perception is skewed by my refusal to buy anything with too many scratches. I also tend to only look at Gen 5 and up on ebay.
>>
File: ipodtrashed.png (334KB, 923x539px) Image search: [Google]
ipodtrashed.png
334KB, 923x539px
>>61366139
That makes sense. I tend to not give a shit about looks as long as it is fully functional. I was going to get a 5th gen, but they were over $100 at the time.
Also fuck sellers that list any old apple product as ***RARE***
>>
>>61366139
thanks man. I miss my clip, but it was a buggy piece of shit in the end, and shorted out bad.

its neat to get a old ipod that when it was new, i couldnt afford at all, because of how shit was then.

>My perception is skewed by my refusal to buy anything with too many scratches.
perfect excuse to polish and refinish it. the picture of mine looks great, but even if it was really nappy, I can refinish metal like a motherfucker, and polish aluminum like a mirror.
>>
>>61366162
>IMMACULATE
>hdd failure screen
lol
The dude I'm trying to buy from is the worst with that shit. Every one of his listings starts with **RARE** and a few have **MINT** in the title, even though they're iPod 7th gens that he did the SD card mod with.
At least the dude's including earbuds and a charging cable ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Also, I wouldn't mind paying a $20 premium for some reseller to put in a new battery and do the SD card mod, but ebay sellers think that means people are willing to pay up to $600 when an unmodded near-scratch-free iPod hovers around $150. Madness.
>>
>>61366204
https://www.ebay.com/sch/theappleipodbay/m.html
>>
>>61366253
>***SUPER SPECIAL*** APPLE iMAC IN WHITE ALL IN ONE DESKTOP SWEET..!!!!
>$899 for an early-2000's iMac
>SWEET..!!
You gotta wonder who exactly these people are fooling.
With profit margins like that, though, you really only have to fool a couple of people before you're rolling in dough.
>>
>>61366253
>>61366298
someone went through a lot of effort for these memes. the seller is also autistic as fuck.
>>
>>61366328
You mean you DONT want to spend $3,000 on an iPod Nano 6g with the box signed by "SNOOPE DOG"?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/anus/152616578773
>>
>>61366377
I saw it and appreciated it for being a dank meme.

this guy is fucking insane or its a front for money laundering, like the $100,000.00 toothpick
>>
>>61363959
>$100 for 5th gen
No
>>
>>61363142
>xduoo x3
I've broken 2 of these already (not particularly well made) but i can't find something better with dual SD card slots. It's a real pain.
>>
>>61365744
That quad dac is a meme marketing name they madr up. It still doesn't have a proper amp anyway.
>>
File: (()).jpg (71KB, 464x523px) Image search: [Google]
(()).jpg
71KB, 464x523px
>>61365857
yeah it does, its called 'database'
thanks
>>
>>61366702
It's $100 ($120 actually, I was looking at a different one with free shipping) but it has a new screen, case, battery, and hard drive. I don't think it's too bad. I definitely don't mind paying the premium just for some other dude to install all the U2 case bits for me. No way I was gonna pay $300 for an original, and replacing the whole case would've been the biggest pain in the ass on planet earth.
>>
>>61366887
If you're gonna replace the case anyway then opening it isn't as much of a pain, since you can go rough with it. It's also much easier if you have a sharp metal spudger.
By the way, the case will 99% certainly be Chinese. Meaning the back is painted on, not lasered on like the originals.
I saw a guy selling a 160GB classic for $55 the other day. Before that there's also a guy selling a 30GB 5th gen for $10 (looks old but works perfectly), it got snatched up real quick though.
>>
>>61366947
Don't give a shit about that, I'm gonna put a skin on there anyway. Actually, I don't even like U2, so if the back ends up being plain silver that's cool with me. I literally just wanted assurance that the front panel in front of the screen was scratch-free without paying $600 for some schmuck's "lightly used" iPod. I'm gonna put a screen protector there, put an either clear or same-colored skin everywhere else, and call it a day.
My total music collection is something like 20GB, so the 80gb I'm buying is fine. Probably not gonna do the SD card mod until I fill that up or it shits the bed. I also have a Clip+ for exercising, so overall I'm pretty damn set.
...Until I feel like buying another DAP, of course. The Fiio X1 ii Red looks so sexy... if only the software and the wheel didn't get shit on so often...
>>
>>61367022
Thing is the lines won't be as nice and clean. They also almost always get the font size for the capacity wrong.
And why even bother with U2 model anyway if you don't like it?
Also Shanling M1 as a red color option and it's better than the X1 II.
>>
>>61366718
Used AK100
>>
File: 1460140889965.png (2KB, 207x219px) Image search: [Google]
1460140889965.png
2KB, 207x219px
>Buying clickwheel cover
>Buy black cover
>2 days later seller says no black only white
>Have to buy entire wheel instead, costs 4 times as much
Fucking chinks can't sort their inventory properly.
>>
>>61366718
on that note, xduoo x3s are cheaper on ebay, guys.

also, buying from Gearbest usually means you're buying from the source so consider that when buying chinese pmps
>>
>>61365992
I think the Mini uses Type II (microdrive), so that Type I adapter will leave some free space that you should pad out.
>>
>>61367202
OK we're on different pages here
>Be me
>Want new DAP
>Want Fiio X1 ii Red cause it's sexy as fuck
>Has firmware that's still lacking in features after 9 months
>Has a scroll wheel that people frequently cite their thumb gripping onto
>Scrap it
>U2 iPod looks sexy as fuck with the red wheel
>Not paying the premium that all the ***RARE*** fucks charge
>Don't want any scratches on the screen
2 choices:
>Buy a cheaper used iPod, replace the front housing and click wheel to look the way I like / replace the front housing so there's no scratches + apply skins
>Buy a slightly more expensive refurbished iPod and pay a $50 premium
The 2nd choice saves me the pain in the ass of replacing the housing, I get the color scheme I want immediately, and part of the refurb process was installing a new battery and HDD. 80GB is fine for now because I don't keep a lot of lossless music (Most of my library is aac or mp3), so for now I save money on the SD mod.
If the 2nd choice includes a chinkshit print job on the back of the housing, no biggie, I don't even like U2, so if the signatures fade away it's cool. If everything else fades away, no problem there, I don't care because I'm going to get a matte black skin to put on it.
Really, if I wanted, I could get a matte red skin for the click wheel too and not have to buy the refurb, but then I have to replace the front panel because any scratch-free iPods on ebay are always marked up as ***RARE*** ***MINT CONDITION***
Thanks for the M1 recommendation, but I'm not looking for a small form factor. Part of the reason I'm going for an iPod is because I've always thought the U2 iPod looked sick.
It would've been nice to just buy the Fiio with good firmware and a low-friction wheel, though.
Sorry for blogpost.
>>
>>61367417
cool, thats good to know, and I'm going to do a how i did it for you guys, once it comes in the mail. it doesnt look hard at all.
>>
>>61367536
Good Lord, if I had to type that much out to justify that, then I actually need to rethink this.
I'm gonna cancel my offer and sleep on this.
>>
File: IMG_20170119_013051822~01~01.jpg (1MB, 1828x1989px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170119_013051822~01~01.jpg
1MB, 1828x1989px
Bump
>>
I'm using my clip+ as an SD card reader
>>
>>61366718
for that price I don't know others but FiiOX5 got x2 slots also Pioneer XDP too but they are bretty expensive in comparation, its true that is another level of sound but I am sure that exits more, check the chink market.

Also the durability is other case..
>>
>>61364980
Post T60
>>
Started a project about a year ago and never finished since I got stuck.

>Bought iPod classic 5G + ZIF>CF>SD adapter + 256gb sd card
>Managed to disassemble iPod, pull HDD and insert SD adapter assembly
>Read that the next step was to connect to iTunes and format, upon powering the iPod it got stuck in a bootloop.

Any ideas?
>>
File: IMG_20170714_200532~01.jpg (210KB, 901x1494px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170714_200532~01.jpg
210KB, 901x1494px
Brushed my iPod case.
>>
>keep dropping my ipod classic
>still hasn't died

I can't believe it's still going this thing won't break
>>
>>61362240
Best pmp that can play ogg/opus
>>
File: 6677990.jpg (118KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
6677990.jpg
118KB, 600x800px
Any of you fags remember this?
>>
S7 Active + 200GB MicroSD card.
The time of dedicated PMPs is fucking over guys.
>>
Why do you need a seperate media player device when you've got a phone.
I only would understand why if you were riding bikes, skating or doing anything active. Very low chance much of /g/ is doing that.
>>
File: thereisnoneedtobeupset.gif (1MB, 499x281px) Image search: [Google]
thereisnoneedtobeupset.gif
1MB, 499x281px
>>61371792
>>61371800
epic
>>
File: Arl2iby[1].png (739KB, 706x706px) Image search: [Google]
Arl2iby[1].png
739KB, 706x706px
how many others still use the clip+? had mine for around 7 years and its still going amazingly with easily 24+ hours of battery life
>>
>>61371792
>>61371800
Maybe I don't own a money-leeching kikephone and I want a player with more flexibility and options in regards to audio.
>>61355013
>>61354367
If you're still around I bought an Ibasso dx50 recently and I've been VERY impressed with it, it's got a small but solid form factor with everything you asked for (physical buttons, SD support). Stock firmware is a bit buggy but it has a stable rockbox release. I'll take a picture for the thread soon
>>
>>61362413
Eiaosi X6. They're only $3 but they destroy all headphones in the $100 and under range.
>>
File: Eiaosi_X6_in_Nostril.jpg (183KB, 1894x1136px) Image search: [Google]
Eiaosi_X6_in_Nostril.jpg
183KB, 1894x1136px
>>61372448
wew lad
>>
File: B1147879783.jpg (18KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
B1147879783.jpg
18KB, 360x360px
>>61364566
Give me a month or so for my Ruizu X26 to arrive and I'll let you know because this thing is so obviously meant to get the Clip+ market.
>>
>>61372448
i've had the eiaosis for several months, they're decent quality and worth what you pay for them but I wouldn't say they're at the same level as $100 headphones (although i'd say that about all cheap earphones)
>>
>>61372494
It's a meme m8
>>
>>61372377
Still using it. Latest Rockbox version literally doubles battery life, if you weren't aware.
>>
>>61367536
Did a bit of reading, apparently the red clickwheel is just the normal ones painted on. Which means the paint will chip.
>>
Can you easily rockbox 6/7th gen ipod classic?
Rockbox page mentions it as being complex, but pmp giude said otherwise
>>
>>61373542
Did it back in they day. (160gb)
So yeah, you can.
>>
>>61362413
HJE-120
You won't find a more comfortable IEM at any price.
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/6-panasonic-rp-hje120-surprisingly-usable.594945/page-3 contains instructions on how to EQ them to a balanced sound signature.
>>
>>61373704
Using this guide?
https://www.iflash.xyz/howto-install-rockbox-on-the-ipod-classics/

Now I'm interested. Planning to get ipods or shanling m1 in the future
>>
>>61372712
Yeah, I used the dev builds since they started coming out but moved onto 3.14 the day it released.
>>
>>61373809
I guess it was. Probably some edited .exe or just the rock box one from the website.

It wasn't really impressive and the UI was just a pain with the click wheel tho
>>
>>61373953
Still better than fiio x1 I guess.
The choices are either shanling or used ipods, I still have time to think about that
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.