[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Public source of power

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

Im thinking about placing one of these near a free wifi and using it as a vpn tunnel. Do you guys have any ideas where I can get a source of free power downtown somewhere?

I guess I can put it in some kind of power strip, but they might get removed. I have a solar cell and a pretty good battery but that becomes even harder to conceal.
>>
>find free wifi
>tape to bottom of table it something
>leave it there
>someone finds
>thinks its bomb
>calls police

Wow what a terrible fucking idea.
>>
Maybe you could kindly ask someone working at these places if you could set the device up. You could attach your name and phone number to the device so in case they have a change of mind.
>>
File: opi.jpg (41KB, 564x275px) Image search: [Google]
opi.jpg
41KB, 564x275px
>>61357450
I have that one and aside from the wi-fi being slow and unstable as shit it's a beautiful smol machine.
>>
>>61357450
or you could just pay $25/yr for an actual vpn
>>
>>61358561
good goy, yes, protect your "freedums"
>>
>>61358611
>routing your traffic over an untrusted network

you do realize the only encrypted part of your network will be between you and the device, right? That anyone could capture traffic between your pi and the wan?

I'd rather pay a respected company to keep my data private since they are the ones with their business on the line if they fuckup
>>
>>61357802
Dont think McDonalds would agree..

>>61357815
G3?? Please tell me more! Where, why and how?

>>61358561
I have a VPN, this is more of an experiment.
>>
>>61358671
>I'd rather pay a respected company to keep my data private since they are the ones with their business on the line if they fuckup
You mean like HideMyAss went out of business… oh wait, they didn't!
>>
>>61358736
this is more of a social engineering problem

you need to put it somewhere with no or extremely low traffic

you need to disguise it or hide it in plain sight

One possibility is hiding it in a desktop PC case or a point of sale machine, since it would be disguised and 5V power readily available

there are some Rpi cases available that look like air freshener boxes too
>>
>>61358836
>respected
>hidemyass
>>
>>61358849
I see you know how to greentext, good, too bad you've completely missed the point
>>
>>61358889
there's nothing secure about running your own vpn since you cannot pool IPs like a third-party provider can

if you actually did something illegal using OPs idea the police would just track the VPN IP, locate the device and then use forensics to bust your ass

A real VPN gives you plausible deniability
>>
>>61358914
I'm not really defending OPs approach, but no VPN provider can be considered trustworthy either

First, even if some VPN providers fuck up, news don't spread and they don't go out of business. Especially if you go to jail because you did something illegal through it.

Second, even VPN provider has multiple IPs, each IP has an owner, and it won't be much longer to trace back someone's illegal deeds through VPN provider logs vs. tracing back via Orange Pi purchase (in b4 "but muh no log policy")
>>
>>61357450
Put inside a case that could pass for some sort of utility/telephone thing and slap a solar panel on it.

Nobody will bother it.

Search for "telecom enclosure".
>>
>>61358994
s/even/even if/
But you get the idea

Also, OP, even if you succeed planting your device without cops beating your ass up next day as a bomb suspect, wifi devices aren't invisible. Every client is registered by the access point and it's not hard to spot one that has been connected for too long. Hell, some free wifi spots might as well be checking for clients that use the wifi too much automatically to catch moochers.
>>
>>61358838
Thinking more about putting it in a metal box outside and putting some alarm company sticker on it, make it look semi governmental-ish. However, the antenna needs to stick out, and I need a source of power.

The Airfreshner idea was pretty good, put it in a power outlet under a sofa in a restaurant..

>>61359028
Good Idea, just need some workwear and a lame safety vest and I can do it during daylight.

>>61359066
Yeah, I need to randomly change MAC every now and then. Perhaps let the machine sleep for a couple of hours. But I guess smaller places don't know the first about netsec.
>>
>>61357450
Is anyone here interested in making an opensource Mali Driver?
>>
>>61359575
>make open-source GPU driver just by trial and error since no documentation is available

nope
>>
>>61359575
i will make the logo
>>
>>61358736
>G3?? Please tell me more! Where, why and how?
Because screenfetch had a seizure, the OPi uses the quad core ARM Allwinner H2+.

Feel free to ask things about the device though, i use the OPi Zero all the time.
>>
>>61357450
How would you actually connect to the device? Reverse tunnel? I assume the public wifi you'll be using is NATted.

>>61358838
Neat idea hiding it inside a PC case. Brb making some IDE and SATA power cables.
>>
OP use a small Lithium battery and just change it out with a new one every few days. Just buy 2, use 1 and then charge the other. It should last a couple of days.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.