[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>IDE sucks, real programmers use terminal-based text editors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: practicaldev-1-229x300.jpg (19KB, 229x300px) Image search: [Google]
practicaldev-1-229x300.jpg
19KB, 229x300px
>IDE sucks, real programmers use terminal-based text editors like Vim or Emacs
>Proceeds to make the text editor behave like an IDE
>mfw
>>
>"I'm far more productive in Vim/Emacs than any IDE"
>"(if you don't count the 10,000 hours I spent reading editor documentation and debugging my hand-rolled plugins)"
>>
>>61354811
precisely why I just use gedit
>>
>>61354823
That one sucks, though, it can't open long lined files.
>>
nano4lyfe
>>
>>61354811
this is a real problem, but if you're aware of it, and let other autists do the hard work, you can copy-and-paste together a working vimrc in less time than it takes to learn a bigass IDE. just don't get stuck in the tarpit of choosing themes or other bullshit. make it work for the languages you need and get to work.
>>
be a man.

use Atom.
>>
>>61354811
Even the first part is mostly pretending that macros help you a big time, whereas in reality they only help for tasks you do once a year and better with a script.
>>
>>61354846
well I don't write long lined files. Is that the only reason you're saying that it sucks?
>>
>>61354911
My computer isn't manly enough to handle the 2GB ram usage and CPU cache destroying rendering of html elements.
>>
>>61354938
>well I don't write long lined files. Is that the only reason you're saying that it sucks?
It's generally rather unresponsive to content it doesn't like and I have been noticing some weird scroll bugs.
But since I depend on Plebian repos it might be an outdated issue.
>>
>>61354811
you only do that once. then you can just copy that vimrc to any computer
>>
>>61354911
can you use atom via a remonte vnc connection to a terminal emulator made via https? I don't think so
>>
>>61354775
is :wq that hard? I'm dyslexic and half retarded and I have no problem with this.
>>
>>61354775
The problem with an IDE is they put several windows into a single window which is an idiotic idea which stems from microsoft windows users since they didn't have multitasking before windows 10.
If you have multiple screens or multiple desktops, or just a decent window manager, it is better to have several windows.
If the IDE allows for "multiple windows" mode, there is nothing wrong with the IDE, but I haven't seen any good implementations of this
>>
File: cinnamon-20170713-2.webm (1MB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
cinnamon-20170713-2.webm
1MB, 1680x1050px
:qa!
>>
>>61355439
>:wq
you spelled :x wrong
>>
>>61354811
This is why I use Kate and Kdevelop
>>
>>61354775
I use Sublime which I think is the optimal compromise. A GUI means all features are discoverable, and there are plugins available to provide the most essential IDE features (autocompletion etc) without the bloat.

It's given me far, far more than $70 in productivity and it's still actively developed. I don't know why it gets so much hate.
>>
>>61354775
>start vim for the first time
>>wtf is this? how do I exit?
>press ctrl-c like with any other unix CLI program
>>Type :quit<Enter> to exit Vim
>:quit
>it actually works
It's like this for at least 10 years already, so what's your excuse OP?
>>
>I need several moving parts to do the same function
>>
>>61354811
More like did Vimtutor once in 20 minutes, which makes you copy over a functional vimrc, and then you're good to go.
>>
>>61357361
Fascinating. Now if it would output a list with proper IDEs after you exist the program, it would be literally perfect.
>>
>>61357512
Little known feature - it actually does output a list of proper IDEs when you exit
>>
wingide is so much nicer than vim
>>
>>61357428
>Why do I need a car when I can push 4 wheels and a chair down a hill with 0 effort?
>>
File: opisafag.webm (2MB, 654x410px) Image search: [Google]
opisafag.webm
2MB, 654x410px
Works nicely for me OP.
>>
>>61354811
My .vimrc is one line. Get on my level bitch
>>
>>61354943
poorfag detected
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.