[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: 489741.jpg (222KB, 1058x786px) Image search: [Google]
489741.jpg
222KB, 1058x786px
>2017
>Most Android phone manufacturers can't keep their phones updated to the latest security patches let alone to the last android version

Do they not give a fuck?
Why can't we have any android phone updated without having to rely on the manufacturer like a computer on Windows or Linux?
>>
That's why you only buy samsungs
>>
I think realistically they know people replace their phone hardware more than they update the Pc hardware.

I don't have stats on that but I'm feeling tells me that's true. Lots of people lose their shit and have to buy new ones and at the same time OBVIOUSLY buying a new model instead of an old one. MUCH more people use phones all the time than PCs and I know a lot of people saying "I need to buy a new pc" when all they needed to do was re-install the os or debloat it. Imagine how many people are saying that about their phones?.

That being said I can see why a company might just say fuck it and quit wasting money on updating phones that not many people are using anymore anyways.

Windows is going the same route.
>>
>>61354647
Samsung is slow at updating though

>>61354697
What I don't understand is what's preventing Android to have a centralized updating platform like WIndows that works across all devices.
>>
>>61354731

They're only slow at updating because there's lot of customizations.

You really don't want barely tested software.
>>
>>61354731

Well, You mean how they all connect to a Microsoft site and get the downloads from there?. Probably because It's Microsoft's business to maintain and support the OS. Android isn't like that. Android is free (as far as I know) and comes more of a like "as is" for any hardware people that want to use it. It's up to each hardware developer to maintain their own updates. Google just makes the OS and they all on their own update it if they want. There is no central location for an android update data. I'm guessing all this but sounds right to me.
>>
>>61354634
>get pure, perfectly working Android
>proceed making it worse
>proceed making it worse for so long that the amount of code that needs to be ported to the next version(to make it worse than it was) becomes prohibitively huge, so you either give up or push an update like a year later or worse
Every OEM ever. Why waste time and money to come up with something that's objectively and subjectively worse than if they didn't try at all?
>>
The selling point of Android to manufacturers is customisation so they can stand out in some way from the sea of other Android phones. They like dicking around with the UI, adding branding and extra features etc. That takes time, and each update means they have to re-apply and re-test all their modifications.

Notice how Motorola and OnePlus, who do very minimal customisations, tend to be a fair bit faster at releasing updates.
>>
>>61354773
This is correct. Android need to change, though, to have a centralized updating platform. General users are left insecure because of it. Especially considering they're going to be too stupid to install a new OS.
>>
File: 1484270531536.jpg (248KB, 1191x953px) Image search: [Google]
1484270531536.jpg
248KB, 1191x953px
>>61354908
The only thing is that OEM are probably never going to give up their shitty modifications to attract normalfags
>>
>>61355002
Then I suppose Android need to become more modular. These changes should be done quite easily by manufacturers and ported between OS versions quite easily.
>>
>>61354773
there is a central location for new versions of android, but very few phones run aosp
>>
If you're still using Android and you're not using stock on a supported phone you're a fuckin moron

buy a fucking pixel
>>
File: 1468459861972.jpg (242KB, 1715x2047px) Image search: [Google]
1468459861972.jpg
242KB, 1715x2047px
>>61354647
>That's why you only buy samsungs
LOLNO

If you want support, updates and security, you buy iPhone.
If you're poor or don't give a fuck about anything, buy Android devices.
>>
>>61355046
Android is modular as fuck, shitty OEMs just want to embed their changes into the system as deeply as possible to give their users the runaround
>>
BTW aren't the new Nokias supposed to get fast updates?
>>
No, they don't give a fuck.

Wait until people start buying en masse "smart devices" and other stupid shit that connects to the internet. You think those idiots give a fuck? It will never be updated and will get hacked.
>>
>>61354634
Why the fuck do you want to update, though? My Asus Zenfone 5 still is Lollipop 5.0 and I see no reason to complain about it not getting Marshmallow or even Nougat.
>>
>>61355250
nokia is doa
>>
Buy a fucking Pixel. /Thread
>>
>>61355136
Looks like you need to be reminded of:
-planned obsolescence, forced by upgrades which slow down your devices
-the 24 month special financing that allows even the lowest burger flippers to afford an iDevice.
>>
File: 1499642037381.png (94KB, 441x351px) Image search: [Google]
1499642037381.png
94KB, 441x351px
>>61354634
sauce on that Tomoko
>>
>>61355386
If only there was a way to search with an image on the internet.
>>
>>61355386
Use Yandex
>>
>>61355358
>iPhones have the longest device support of anything on the market
Financing phones may be retarded, but that's the buyers decision. Apple makes their high end phones available to everybody and although it encourages dumbass decisions by poor people that doesn't affect the device quality. In fact it gives them more money which they continue to poor into marketing research to figure out what they think will sell best aka what the people are looking for.
>>
File: disgusted-harold.jpg (403KB, 1908x2000px) Image search: [Google]
disgusted-harold.jpg
403KB, 1908x2000px
>>61354634
>not compiling from AOSP
>>
>>61355358
>-planned obsolescence, forced by upgrades which slow down your devices
LOL.. none of those are true. You've obviously never owned an iphone. You're basically repeating troll bullshit that some mentally ill retard is posting on here.

>-the 24 month special financing that allows even the lowest burger flippers to afford an iDevice.
that affects you how?
lol... what a low IQ moron.
>>
>>61355421
>Exact image not found
>>
>>61354647
You mean official Google phones.
>>
>>61354634
>>2017
Yea no, it's always been like that.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.