[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/g/ users younger than ~20, what tech is popular with kids these days?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 38

File: computers.jpg (134KB, 1280x846px) Image search: [Google]
computers.jpg
134KB, 1280x846px
/g/ users younger than ~20, what tech is popular with kids these days?
>>
>>61348418
fidget spinners and vapes
>>
File: 1499915178766.jpg (7KB, 250x214px) Image search: [Google]
1499915178766.jpg
7KB, 250x214px
>>61348418
19 here
>iPhones rule the school
>Edgey niggers use Android
>No one has heard of Linux
>Candy crush on everything
>>
>>61348418
I wish I knew
>>
>>61348418
Probably the new Applel 2018 Emoji Keyboard.
>also why is Hiro cucking my be switching me back from Legacy Captcha
>>
>>61348418
Mobile. I hope you like swift.
>>
I'm 30 but I work at a toy store.

Tablets are out, fidget spinners are in. Bicycles are out, video games are also not as popular as they used to be probably due to even 5 year olds having cell phones
>>
>>61348418
mumble rap
weed
designer clothes
>>
>>61348441
>candy crush on everything
there's no way you're younger than 25, parents are the only ones left playing candy crush
>>
>>61348418
I'm >20 here but snapchat seems really popular around my peers
>>
>>61348496
Sorry I mean clash of clans.
>>
>>61348479
btw there are fidget spinner apps and they are pretty popular
>>
File: facdee908r32094890238409238094.png (138KB, 522x590px) Image search: [Google]
facdee908r32094890238409238094.png
138KB, 522x590px
>>61348418
>tfw your 15 year old cousin literally doesn't know how to operate a desktop computer but can run split screen on her android phone and uses all sorts of weird indie apps to do all manner of strange mobile normie shit

Where did everything go so wrong?
>>
>>61348513
I'm 20 and everyone stopped playing Clash of Clans like 2 years ago

But yeah
>iPhones
>Macbooks
>outcast nerd cunts use androids

Basically the same as it's been for years
>>
>>61348527
The moment parents started spoiling their kids at birth and never reminded them how grateful they should be, and how fast it can be taken away.
t. millenial who hates millenials
I was born in the wrong fucking decade
>>
>>61348527
>but can run split screen on her android phone
It's literally easy and intuitive as fuck to do this you just long press the app switch button or press the dedidated button in the switching screen
>>
>>61348479
> video games are also not as popular as they used to be probably due to even 5 year olds having cell phones

Or because you only sell physical copies of shit and steam is wrecking that market. I can't comment on XBone or PS, but I have heard that you can buy games from their respective market and use them without a physical copy.
>>
>>61348558
Children don't have credit cards, they only have cash.
>>
>>61348527
Makes me sad that kids now growing up won't be exposed to more of the inner workings of tech and be able to explore and develop. That's how I learned a lot about technology and got started in my career. Everything is so fenced off now with app stores and walled gardens.
>>
>>61348519
>fidget spinner apps
wut, just get the damn thing
>>
>>61348418
Snapchat is almost ubiquitious among high school kids.
>>
File: 1498762550533.jpg (54KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
1498762550533.jpg
54KB, 550x550px
>>61348519
>fidget spinner apps

if I wasn't a brainlet I would probably be cranking out fidget spinner adware apps between now and christmas when literally every conceivable form of fidget spinner covered with every possible super hero, cartoon and breakfast cereal mascot will be in every kid's stocking and hopefully it will then take its place alongside the yo-yo, hoola hoop, magic 8-ball and pokemon go
>>
>>61348527
This, I had to show my 12 year old bro how to use file explorer to find his flash drive. I tried to prank him by teaching him to only use powershell to open it up, but instead he just gave up. Still though, they use computers every other day in school and he didn't know how to find a freaking flash drive without clicking the prompt when you plug it in.
>>
barely 21 Yuropoor here
most of my friends use Instagram and snapchat, literally everyone has a facebook account and obviously use messenger (or on extreme cases viber) for everything
Except of my girlfriend I havent had a conversation with someone my age over the phone for maybe a year
Literally every person I know uses windows 10, I switched from 7 to Arch and they all started trying to make me feel guilty for not having win10
Also there's increasingly more vaping and fidget spinners started popping up
It really seems like it's just US trends that just rub off here a year or two later than should be
I can't wait till facebook stops being a thing, I can't communicate with nearly anyone as things are
>>
>>61348775
Just curious but how popular are macs with your friends?
>>
>>61348782
Not much, but surprisingly most people here use iPhones
It's almost as if they only need access to the internet for social media
Most of the people I know don't have a desktop, just some laptop they got when they were 17 or something of the like
>>
File: hams.jpg (106KB, 700x469px) Image search: [Google]
hams.jpg
106KB, 700x469px
HAM radio is making a big comeback among young females
>>
for kids aged 5-12 they all have an ipad mini.
>>
>>61348418
iPhone
>>
File: ESpKobt.jpg (118KB, 1024x842px) Image search: [Google]
ESpKobt.jpg
118KB, 1024x842px
>>61348775
facebook has worked very hard to entrench themselves and become the "entire internet" as far as normies know it.

most consumer-facing brands have been promoting their facebook page instead of their actual website for years

in 10 years the entire world will probably need a biometric facebook authentication to even use their own device at all and the web will literally just be facebook as far as 99% of people know
>>
What's apps do the kids use besides WhatsApp, Snap, etc
>>
>>61348940
I've been noticing this trend too. It's always a mini as well, never a bigger ipad. Not sure what the deal is.
>>
>>61348963
Instagram, Discord, Kik

At least males
>>
>>61348958
facebook OS when?
But yeah i happened to notice this on the last few months before I deleted it, they made it so that even when accessimg outside links you were still in a facebook-y environment, know what I mean?
>>
>>61348418
nvidea video cards
computers with lights in them
mice and keyboards with lights in them
green themed mouse pads

>>61348573
cash is easily exchanged for steam credit at any supermarket
even in third world australia
>>
>>61348995
What's Kik? And what's the fucking point of Snapchat?
>>
>>61348558
>Or because you only sell physical copies of shit and steam is wrecking that market
Funny, that's exactly the reason I bought a PS4. Every game I've wanted to play on PC either doesn't have a physical copy or if it does then it just had a card with a Steam code in it. I refuse to pay for a digital "copy" of a game I'm paying for. I bought a physical copy of The Witcher 3, even though I didn't like it, and of GTA 5 just because neither of them require Steam/GOG/Origin AND they have the entire game on the disks.
>>
>>61349109
you probably mean diskS
those are a lot of gigs
>>
>>61349057
Chatting app, and I don't know.
>>
>>61349057
Kik is a instant messaging mobile app, like whatsapp, etc.

Snapchat is for sending pics to your friends so they can see how exciting your life is. It's better than Facebook since your parents aren't on it.
>>
>>61349057
the point of snapchat is that stupid bullshit gets deleted after the convo is old and doesn't matter

It's just an IM version of what this site does, old shit falls off the bottom unless someone cares to preserve it
>>
>>61348969
its not that hard to figure out; smaller kid = smaller ipad. cheaper too.
>>
>>61348418
mobile apps are what the kids crave. there has never been a more perfect time to be so conceded and modern day cell phone tech allows this. In fact, it might just be built for this purpose exactly, we have shit like:

>facebook
>snapchat
>twitter
>tumblr
>instagram

all social medias which has a likes system. We measure our popularity by how many likes we have not by how many irl friends we have. it's almost like a high and provides synthetic validation which only lasts temporary.

we are advancing technology in a way that it connects us all together but at the same time alienates us, which is interesting because the same tech can drive us apart and causes anti-social behavior. look at japan and how technology has gotten so part of everyday life, that people would rather stay home and play video games, fuck robots, watch anime. Social technology is anything but social.
>>
>>61349140
console games come in bluray disks that can hold up to 128 gbs
>>
>>61348575
What's even more saddening is that there has been practically no attempt to make sure high school teachers are familiar with computers. When I was in HS only a handful of teachers were capable of troubleshooting small issues, and neither were most people in my classes. This was like 3 or 4 years ago.
>>
>>61348527
and then there's people like me who find mobile user interfaces un-intuitive
>tfw took me 20 mins last night to figure out where the options for network connections were on solid explorer
>>
>>61349360
I can configure Arch with i3 gaps to every single detail I might have, but I have literally 0 clue on how to navigate a win8 computer
>>
>>61348527
Still don't understand what kids need smartphones for
>>
File: 04.jpg (3MB, 2540x1693px) Image search: [Google]
04.jpg
3MB, 2540x1693px
22 here
Whatever becomes flavor of the month as far as apps, company branding, and what their social circles use. iPhones, wearables, snapchat instead of calling, facebook messenger instead of IM, discord instead of skype (or VOIP-like software)
Its a new generation with new things, go figure
my only concern is the instant communication between corporate giants and young, fresh minds, persuading them into the next big false promise.
>>
>>61349385
They're good for making sure your kids are safe (say if they get lost walking home) and for research but holy shit they seriously don't need them at a young age.

If I ever have kids I just hope dumbphones are still a thing because that's the only thing they're getting with my money.
>>
>>61348995
20/m from Norway here
I have never ever seen someone use kik.
People i know uses snap, insta and messenger for most things.

>>61348418
Actual tech, is basically the phone.
There are only a few who uses other tech, but nothing is really popular. Many I know of are like me who don't even own a computer
>phoneposting btw
>>
>>61349385
to buy drugs, why else would you need a cell phone?
>>
social media is out
/pol/ is big with the kids
>>
>>61348546
> I was born in the wrong fucking decade
at least we know he is indeed a teenager
>>
File: 107.jpg (134KB, 680x709px) Image search: [Google]
107.jpg
134KB, 680x709px
A better question is why do you give a shit? This generation is fucked and will canabilize itself with shitty leaders and grade school educated fuckturds following said leaders. We'll be vaporized by the nuclear blast while celebrities kick each other in the balls and the president does a line of cocaine while telling jokes in his oval office covered in gold.
>>
>>61349385
a pacifier mainly. how else are you going to stop true boredom? go out and play?
>>
>>61349531
>generation is fucked
literally every ageing generation says that about the new generation
>>
>>61349410
those graphics are good
>>
>>61349563
Are you me? I was just about to say the same thing.
>>
>>61349563
theyre always right in some regard, usually freedoms. im really pissed with my prime minister blocking free speech now (you cant protest certain things now)
>>
>>61348575
you think so but any millennial who grew up around computers will take over the it duties relegated to the old timers who built the computer world
>>
>>61348895
That would be cool if true. More people should do this, it can teach you a lot about how and why we ended up here with the internet.
>>
>>61349589
and by any i mean the ones that want to learn how to do it
>>
>>61349566
Can't wait for future images like >>61349410
to make use of photogrammetry so you can walk and look around in them.
>>
>>61349410
your generation is fully cucked beyond belief
>>
>>61349589
>>61348575
you guys always fail to see one thing: the masses were never good with computers. Its always been a select few who actually know how it works. I agree that the amount of layers is making computing a little different now but theres still courses that actually focus on learning inner parts of computers. if that wasnt the case cs degrees would be useless and wouldnt teach anything.
>>
>>61349612
guess that explains recent culture shifts here
just walk into /gif/ and see the carnage
>>
>>61349615
theres plenty of us that grew up around computers taken an interest into them but never got any further than knowing how to put em together and what not those are the ones that can if they learn how to go into that field. theres also a lot of millennials that fried their brains with drugs or got fucked with a ex-wife and kids
>>
>>61349629
yes, whats your point? ignore millenials for a second because this thread isnt about them, but more than just millenials and gen whatever use/ used drugs, and not the entire generation.
>>
>>61349650
a lot of millennials abused it more than they shouldve
>>
>>61349660
i dont think you actually have any facts
http://drugabuse.com/featured/drug-and-alcohol-abuse-across-generations/
what your seeing is more media reporting on it
>>
>>61349690
meh designer drugs change that imo those arent included in graphs
>>
>>61349576
>Are you me?
yes
>>
>>61349706
http://lighthouserecoveryinstitute.com/bath-salt-addiction-facts/
ignoring steroids for a second, the more prominent designer drugs are clearly on the decline if we base this on er statistics. Even if you take that to mean a more refined process instead, that means less are "brain frying".

Of course im speaking from a US perspective. If i look at where i am meth is still at rather high levels among millenials and whatever gen (however this is made up almost exclusively of one type of person, not society as a whole, so it must be thought of seperately for now).

Taking into account steroids now, the usage has been high since quite some time ago, and arent "abused" as such since theyre used for physical effects, not mental. And most steroid using atheletes use them in cycles infrequently.
>>
I wouldn't know since I'm autistic and own a T470 and built a gaming PC myself. If I had to guess, my girlfriend loves her surface pro 4 and apple laptops will always be in for hipsters. Before I graduated highschool there were a ton of kids who had 2 in 1's from Asus acer etc. though, so what ever looks the most elitist.
>>
>>61348418
fidget spinners
iphones
kendamas
clash royale
>>
>>61348418
19 here. Macbooks are in. iPhones... eh. People don't care about the make of phone like they used to. Children fucking love tablets, mainly iPads but whatever's going.
Also, when people in universities aren't using Macbooks of varying age, they're struggling to take notes on their iPad Pro and pretending they don't regret the purchase.
>>
>>61349590
i would totally be into HAM if the internet didn't exist. whats the point with the internet though?
>>
>>61348539
In Europe only faggots use iphones
>>
>>61349109
Why would you hoard games? Even in my shithole country and 10mb internet connection I would rather download a game than have a shelve of them like some 12yo kid.
>>
>>61348527
We created a dependency on easy to use, intuitive software so that the public wouldn't become technologically literate and compete for our jobs.
>>
>>61349948
>shelve
also 10mbps takes a day to dowload most modern games.
>>
>>61349948
Because if I'm going to give my money to a bunch of faggots that sit in an office all day for a game, then I want as much as I can get for that game which includes me actually owning an actual physical copy that doesn't require Steam/GOG/Origin and has the entire game on the discs, and so I actually have something to show for the money I spent since I value my money unlike some 12yo kid.
>>
>>61348487
only actual dude under 20 here
>>
>>61349788
he is talking about Adderall
>>
>>61349109
You know GOG is drm-free right? You can just download the game once, save the installer on a disk or flash drive and be done with it.
>>
>>61350170
he should have specified adderall then. Its at 3.1% have used it, with college people being at 6%. Theres no strong usage statistics though.

>>61350137
these three things have been a thing since ages, and right now the rap trend is moving towards scat vocals and away from mumble (which was big in 2014 -16)
>>
>>61350214
>Btw most don't know iOS or Android exists.
Not true. I see cringy memes like this all the time.
>>
>>61350221
DRM has nothing to do with it, I'm not going to give my money to someone and get absolutely nothing in return.
If you buy a digital "copy" then you should pirate instead.
>>
>>61350346
i think what he meant was "one girl didnt know it exsists so im projecting and inflating my story"
>>
>>61350376
Yeah, only a fucking retard wouldn't know what Android is.

Even ditzy iPhone girls know what it is due to their irrational hatred of green bubbles.
>>
Everyone still communicates with IMs more or less?
>>
>>61350372
Okay, what differenciates a digital copy from a physical cd with a digital copy on it?
>>
>>61350513
probably storage space and the subjective collectiveness
>>
>>61350500
and I'm asking the underage faggots on here
>>
>>61350500
Yeah, through the guise of modern services like Facebook Messenger.
>>
>>61349385
They don't
>>
>>61349385
My sister's give their phone\tablets to their children (the youngest is 9 months old, oldest 3 yeras old) so they shut the fuck up and stare at the gay ass "children" videos on jewtube.
You don't have to pay any attention to your child if it's already a zombie
>>
>>61350089
Ever heard of downloading games while playing other games, watching shit or browsing web? Also overnight downloading is a thing.
>>61350127
>Oh look I spent my hard earned adult money to buy a physical copy of computer game that I'll play once or not at all.
I could only justify getting console sporting games to be able to play with your buddies at every given moment. Nothing other that that.
>>
>>61348638
>>61348519
I made a speed/time measure app for spinners that uses microphone/sensors but it's not taking off. Too complicated for kids I guess.
>>
>>61348479
>>61348519
are fidget spinners purely mechanical toys?
>>
>>61348418
fidget spinners
>>
>>61351757
>The toy has been advertised as helping people who have trouble with focusing or fidgeting by relieving nervous energy or psychological stress. As of May 2017, there is no scientific evidence that they are effective as a treatment for autism or ADHD.[1][2]

kek literally placebo autism cure generation
>>
>>61348418

Snapchat is incredibly popular among the <21 crowd.
>>
>>61348441
What do you mean nobody's heard of Linux? It's on the £40.00 computer board you can buy from maplins and is promoted as being used to teach computers in school. Clearly not in your school.
>>
File: 1469672395921.jpg (19KB, 222x293px) Image search: [Google]
1469672395921.jpg
19KB, 222x293px
>>61350500
sadly all my friends use discord, kik, skype, and facebook messenger even though id really prefer if they'd all use mumble because i really fucking hate giving all my info out to every single company just because the people i like are stubborn and retarded. my girlfriend still doesn't understand why i support linux gaming (protip: companies listen with their bank accounts, they dont hear the daily forum posts asking for a linux port). apparently "ease" of use is more important than privacy, performance and looks these days. i know im associated with this generation full of fidget spinners and children's minecraft videos on facebook, and it annoys me, but theres nothing i can do about it so why bother trying to sound less autistic than the rest. ill always end up looking like an edgy faggot anyway lmao. i have told my friends and family about linux, and theyre genuinely open to using it in case some shit goes down on their laptop and they need a clean start. good thing you dont need gpu performance to browse facebook :^)
>>
>>61348575
are you kiddinng me, new generation is a great threat to us fags in tech industry.

Kids these days use pc since they're 2 or 3 years old.

when we'll get 30-40 years, new graduates will take our jobs bcuz we won't be able to adapt to newer technologies the same way we did when we were younger.
>>
>>61349626
>carnage
What do you mean?
>>
>>61352473
>implying we won't be the fat cats in management that the younglings on 4chan complain about for doing things 'how we always did them here'
>>
File: pic_meme_anqueer.jpg (49KB, 597x652px) Image search: [Google]
pic_meme_anqueer.jpg
49KB, 597x652px
>>61349531
This generation is better than the previous generation at least.
>>
>>61348418
fidgetspinners
>>
>>61350225
It's definitely going up right now, addy and xannies are the big ones. I know friends who take adderall/amphetamine and use the xanax to fall asleep later.
Source: am 20 and in uni
>>
>>61349918
So everyone?
>>
I'm 18 and I just bought a tada68 with pbt cherry profile caps and gateron blues, I'm about to buy a noppoo choc mini with pom caps and gat browns as well as possibly an eastertimes tech i-500 with outemu blues just for the heck of it, I've been hunting for a good model M deal on ebay to try out buckling springs and if I like it I'm probably going to get one of those brand new F77s later on.

Not in my immediate plans but still on the back of my mind are a WASD with MOD-Ms for the memes, an ergodox with clicky alps and something based on the atreus but with extra thumb buttons with silent alps.

I don't know if I'm representative of today's average youth though
>>
>>61354956
Today's average "gamer" would buy the cheapest mechanical keyboard with the worst possible abs keycaps that they can find on amazon.
Probably something for $39.99 that has some edgy red LED's on certain parts.
>>
>>61355134
You got everything right except the price, they'd probably pay about $169.99 for it
>>
>>61355198
There are a lot of people that can afford these, but there are also a lot of idiots that just want to be "in on the meme". The clicking of blues is the only difference to them.
>>
Wait, kids grow up unable to use a desktop?

What the fuck, I've had "my pc" from the age of 9...

Didn't learn to program until I was 19 and didn't get paid for it until I was 24 :^)
>>
fpv quadcopter flying
streaming+gaming
rgb led's
>>
>>61348775
>I can't wait till facebook stops being a thing

I got some bad news for you...
>>
think about it. For what purpose would a kid these days need a desktop/laptop for that their phone can't already do? pretty much all I can think of is typing out papers for school is "more comfortable" on a pc, and that barely justifies spending hundreds just so the kid can have a laptop/desktop

When keyboard/mouse accessories for tablets become more commonplace the desktop form factor will be dead to everybody except gamers
>>
>>61348513
All the clash of clans people either left it or moved to clash royale
>>
>>61348418
Phones?
Kinds today are technologically inept, I realized this when the teacher was more capable of understanding expanded displays than the students.
>>
chromebooks
>>
File: 1454610602416.jpg (9KB, 364x366px) Image search: [Google]
1454610602416.jpg
9KB, 364x366px
>>61355523
Suppose I should expand on this.
They couldn't grasp the idea of extended screens during a time where everyone was supposed to hold presentations, even seeing someone else figure it out (only to forget days later) didn't help them understand how it worked.
Why are people so incompetent?
>>
>>61355474
^ this anon is the only one who knows

>>61348513
>>61348496
>>61348441
>>61348539
>>
>>61349431
22 year old norwegian here
Use kik everyday for a group chat with friends, but not really sure why. We've been using it for atleast five years now
>>
>>61349918
easter yuro here, iphones are the big thing, everyone wants one, even the outdated ones
>>
>>61348418
iphones are dominant for the tech stupid and females.
ps4 is the game console of choice, only virgins PC game.
poor black people and spics use android.
fidget spinners are popular for kids with attention disorders.
>>
>>61348418
Most has been said in this thread, im 22 and iphones pretty much rule the market, most dont know jack shit about a computer, how it's built, which component does what etc.

But the one thing that pisses me off the most are when 13-18 year olds sell components or prebuilt pcs they tend to overprice the shit out of them. They dont know how fast the market moves, so they price it prolly 80% off of retail purchase. They dont know that 5-6 year old components often wont be worth jack shit. Saw some people sell their 970 for 300-344$, and even some computers with old as fuck i7's, 500W psu and 980 for 1700 bucks. But since it has fancy LED and water-cooling other gaymen kids fall for it.
>>
>>61348418
Social media.
>>
>>61348418
your mom
>>
vibrator. everyone is using it and if you can hack into one, you can find out how many time your crush cums and how long it took her to cum and what direction or position she likes to do it or the position when she cums

ps. if i can hack into my crush's vibrator and up the intensity randomly and make her cum it will feel as if i was the one that made her really cum

also, you get to mess with those faggots that wears vibrators to public places and make them cum in the middle of the road like lana rain
>>
>>61348479
>video games are also not as popular as they used to be

this is because of those business fuckers ruining everything and those faggots indie dev that saw how popular angry bird became and wanted in on the bandwagon and cause shit like no man sky

i've given up on video games now, if it's not from a popular franchise, I don't play em anymore, it's literally the same shit, start game, do a quest that is half way across the map, finish it, walk all the way back to the origin and get your shitty reward and rinse and repeat until you're lvl 100 at the end game.

fuck indie games, terrible story and terrible graphics and shitty devs
>>
>>61348418

Phones

Blacked.com
>>
>>61348418
"Under 20" is a pretty large age range. Any specifics?
>>
>>61356054
thankfully there's enough older games you haven't played yet that are a far better choice than most modern stuff
and if you find yourself complaining about the graphics, you're doing it wrong
>>
>>61355737
people who have smartphones: tech stupid, females, black people and spics?
>>
>>61356011
> her
implying I care about anything but boypuccis.
>>
>>61349385
my dad got me a dumbphone when i was 12 (i didnt even want one) and i only got my first smartphone right before going to college

kids under 13 definitely don't need a smartphone
>>
>>61356150
Not equal or greater than 20.
>>
>>61356150
it's not a large range unless you're accessing this site against the rules
>>
>>61348418
19yo asshole here

Kids really like minecraft and smartphones. PC gaming is mainstream enough so that some kids will desire them. Not many have heard of Linux but the ones who do are in computer classes.

>>61348441

Where I live, most people use Android and a small amount use iPhones. Even fewer use Windows Phones.

IF YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW WHAT KIDS THESE DAYS LIKE, THIS IS FAIRLY ACCURATE: https://storage.googleapis.com/think/docs/its-lit.pdf
>>
>>61348418
19 here everyone I know is using ROS and python for their games
>>
fidget spinners, vaping, and vynil. also anything that makes them seem marginally tech-savvy without actually requiring any knowledge, ilke ubuntu. i see a surprising amount of people using ubuntu solely for the hipster factor without knowing jack shit about anything
>>
>>61348496
My grandma played candy crush ffs.
>>
>>61348418
18 here, i went to a fairly wealthy high school. normies either have iphones or samsung phones. outside of that, everyone uses windows 10 except for one kid who was unironically this board irl and a few of the future compsci guys (i have ubuntu on an old shitty laptop but i don't mess with it)
some people have smart watches, most have shitbits, those who have laptops have macbook pros with memebars
>>
>>61348479
Why would a 5 year-old need a smartphone? And don't say "for games".
>>
>>61356901
>>61348479
Some parents are fucking terrible and think the cheapest way to buy toys is to buy a smartphone and tell them how to install free games on the appstore/google play.
>>
>>61348487
America must be hell on Earth, I can't imagine what's like seeing white kids in this state of decay everyday.
>>
Only the surface of tech is popular with kids. All they know is the basics, but because of how most under-the-hood operations are completely controlled by the cloud now, or just by the device, they are given the illusion that they're in control.

All kids know how to use Windows 10, but if you ask them how to create a partition, reformat your drive for a fresh install, or powershell to help get rid of shitty metro apps, they'll be completely clueless.

It's all about the illusion. Most of these kids know jack shit, but they think they're "tech-savy" because they're subbed to people like LinusShillTips and own an iPhone.
>>
>>61348546
I'm gonna put this on /r/wronggeneration thanks for the coming upvotes my man
>>
>>61357062
We like to act differently, but this has always been the case. Replace "mumble rap" with "whatever music black people are making" and its pretty much any decade.
>>
Most kids have gfs nowadays, back in my days everyone was a proud lonely incel.
>>
>>61356301
Wow thank you for this "it's lit" anon, it made me remember why I fucking hate normies.
>>
apple is the only company left that makes usable computers. let that sink in for a moment.
>>
>>61357927
except that's false
>>
>>61348496
Two 19 year olds in my college class who sit next to me play candy crush any chance they get.
>>
>>61357474
>gets upset at people using some popular phrase
>uses popular phrase while complaining
>>
>>61357474
if you type normie instead of noob you're the normie. normies is what newfags called newerfags. noobs is what n00bs called newfags. n00bs is what 31337 h4x0r5 (13yr old script kiddies, now mostly trannies) from the 00s called noobs.

let me guess, you think typing nigger is cool right?
>>
>>61350513
At least I can resell a physical copy and get some of my money back. I don't think you can sell digital copies, at least not unless online stores start allowing it which I doubt they ever would.
>>
>>61357245
Weren't alternative bands like Green Day and Blink-182 popular with young people at some point?
>>
>>61352175
probably all of like 5 schools are doing that
>>
>>61356301
>Unlike millennials, this group is ambitious, engaged, and feel like they can change the world.

T-thanks Google.
>>
>>61348418
I don't know, I don't talk or pay attention to other people. My cousins only use iPhones and all they use them for is social media cancer and listening to degenerate jungle music.
>>
>>61358277
i remember when they were popular
>>
>>61352175
Winblows 8 or 10 on ours... they use it because they can't monitor us without it. With Mac or Linux you have to have terminal access or there is no point and with terminal access you can find ways out of their spyware
>>
>>61348418
I'm 19. Everyone who doesn't have a Mac laptop is a gaymer. The only laptops are also apple and windows. They don't get that windows is a fucking OS not a type of hardware. Same with phones. Everyone has an iPhone or your are either black, poor, both, or an idiot. Also the only phones are apparently iPhones and Samsung's. Nothing else is popular tech wise. Everyone uses chrome because they think it is fastest. There are of course some autists who actually know what tech is so I'm not including them. But in general everyone is just dumb about it.
>>
File: 1493802947771.jpg (24KB, 299x299px) Image search: [Google]
1493802947771.jpg
24KB, 299x299px
This thread fills me with dread and despair. I'm sure most of these kids don't read and play AAA video games like Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty.
>>
I just turned 24 and I feel like an old man reading this thread.
I'm just not "with it" I guess.
>>
>>61348527
>but can run split screen on her android phone and uses all sorts of weird indie apps to do all manner of strange mobile normie shit
Oh, so the future Is already here.
I kind of expected this to be the standard around 2020. Guess I was wrong
>>
>>61359009
23 and same feeling. I wonder when the disconnect happened. I think after I left highschool.
>>
I work in educational IT.
For elementary students there's a huge emphasis on Chromebooks and Google apps for education. Computer labs are being replaced by cheap Chromebooks and iPads. My board has really bought into the whole "every elementary kid should know how to code" meme.
Also compared to when I was in high school teachers are a lot less strict about using phones in class, BYOD is actually encouraged.
>>
>>61359084
The future is going to be filled with idiots
>>
>>61349385
earn money from pedophiles... and watch youtube crap
>>
>>61348418
Phones
>>
Kids love the fidget spinner and the Gentoos
>>
>>61359084
>every elementary kid should know how to code" meme.
Where are you from if you don't mind me asking?
>>
>>61359381
Ontario Canada
>>
>>61358185
nigger
>>
>>61348418
18 here, Poland
>Android is the mainstream
>Only attention whores use iPhones
>Some of my friends used Linux in the past or are still using it dual booting with Windows
>People are usually well informed since prices of electronics are higher here so everyone does research before buying
>>
>>61359749
No desktops/laptops/tablets anymore?
>>
>>61348775
Why would anyone use FB Messenger? Handing your entire texting history to FB? I actually don't get this at all.
>>
>>61348895
My uncle is in his 60s and still spends a lot of time on there. Seems like it was basically IRC before IRC was IRC.
>>
File: 1441167288561.jpg (18KB, 273x184px) Image search: [Google]
1441167288561.jpg
18KB, 273x184px
>>61348519
Fidget.
Spinner.
Apps.
>>
>>61351651
App name/link? I'll check it out.
>don't worry, I won't be the overly critical asshole that shits all over your design & implementation
>>
>>61348895
lol I remember watching that episode. I went to a HAM radio forum afterwards and all the elderly men were so happy that HAM was getting attention and becoming relevant again. I felt so bad for them.
>>
I have a 15 year old brother who spends most of his day on his phone. He uses instagram and Kik. He said Snapchat is stupid.

Also he couldn't open a word document on a computer when I asked him.
>>
Mirrors.
>>
I'm probably not current due to being a huge shutin, but last I remember with phones they consider themselves some sort of tech connoisseur while everything else is considered weird
>>
File: 1494809844833.png (103KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1494809844833.png
103KB, 320x240px
If you stop and think for a second, you'll see that Unix-based OS are in a all-time high, many kids don't even want a laptop or a desktop, they only care about iphones and androids. In the long run, Apple and GNU/Linux are killing Microsoft.
>>
>>61361073
Linux*
>>
>>61348546
this anon is CIA
>>
>>61352473
>new graduates will take our jobs bcuz we won't be able to adapt to newer technologies the same way we did when we were younger
Tech hasn't massively changed in like 30 years m8
>>
>>61358303
Why don't schools teach something that can actually be useful to students?
>>
File: 1481793701948.jpg (8KB, 250x243px) Image search: [Google]
1481793701948.jpg
8KB, 250x243px
>>61359117
The present already is
>>
>>61361266
>why doesn't the government pursue the good of the state?
>>
File: emmawaifuforlaifu.jpg (166KB, 1018x788px) Image search: [Google]
emmawaifuforlaifu.jpg
166KB, 1018x788px
>>61348487
>mumble rap
shieeeeet didnt know this was a thing but here...

https://youtu.be/IiNNBc557OQ
>>
>>61348573
>what are additional cardholders
>>
>>61361500
wat
>>
>>61352175
>maplins
It's fucking Maplin you cuck, also who the fuck shops there? So expensive.
>>
>>61348441
adding, in trashy midwest hs

android has market share but iphone close second

>what's linux

"programming" is all js, there's 3 kids who program in other languages in the whole school that I'm aware of

so much snapchat, discord is used by nerds like me

sms/mms (texting, etc.) is almost dead
>>
File: 500full.gif (344KB, 500x298px) Image search: [Google]
500full.gif
344KB, 500x298px
>>61361500
>hopsin
>ever

theres more than that gramps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srFrSCC1ZtI
>>
Scottish Annon here,
Over here iPhones dominate secondary schools, I left mine fairly recently and my mum works at one as well. Snapchat is extremely popular, I was probably one of the only students there that didn't use it.
I found >>61361617 interesting since iPhones dominate that age group over here, though Android phones are starting to become a little more popular.
Windows is pretty much what everyone uses as a desktop OS, but MacOS is probably more popular in wealthier areas. I was most likely the only student that used Linux as a desktop OS, but the school only had about 350 pupils.
I don't use a smartphone myself and I don't use Facebook either, SMS is still used but scarcely among teens, they seem to prefer snapchat for some reason, the way I see it it just eats more battery and uses more data, but whatever.
Email is almost dead, if I were to give a kid or teen my email address they'd laugh at me, though it is my preferred method of communication for anything that doesn't have to be urgent.
>>
>>61349913
No need to get cucked by a service provider for the infrastructure.
>>
File: my life.png (1MB, 951x1003px) Image search: [Google]
my life.png
1MB, 951x1003px
>>61348418
I teach in a Japanese high school.
I'm not even sure if most children know how to really use computers. They just use phones and passively consume ad-driven content all day like good goyim.
We were doing a research project in the computer lab once, and they all logged in (or started making!) Google accounts because the front page of Google encouraged them to. They thought you needed to be signed in to search the web.

I don't know where all these "we need to teach everyone to code" initiatives come from when it's pretty clear that the next generation is the most passive/least driven to hack one yet.
>>
>>61348527
>weird indie apps to do all manner of strange mobile normie shit
like what ?

>>61359553
2nd year CS polfag here
>"how does CPU even actually work lol?"
>e"sports"-fags everywhere
>ukrainians doing jackshit
>girls cramming shit because they have nothing else to do
>rampant cheating
>"why do i have to do X?"
>"math is boring and retarded"
>muh CSGO
>muh dota
>muh wow
>imma buy i9-7980XE and OC it to 6Ghz for muh games
>several "you don't need to worry if you have nothing to hide" retards
literally /v/irgins in real life

>>61360357
>Also he couldn't open a word document on a computer when I asked him.
holy fuck, why does he even have IT in school?
>>
All I know is that kids are still obsessed with FNAF/Minecraft/let's play videos.
>>
>>61351136
>gay ass children videos
Parents Explain Masturbation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0vPqxSVaG4

What is youtube anymore
>>
>>61362184
its bec they are too dumb to enjoy the game themselves, they need to be constantly connected to know what others think but god forbid if they think alone its like opening a beer with your eye socket.
>>
>>61349109
>>61349140
when referring to optical media it's disc not disk :^)
>>
File: ted-copy-667x468.jpg (49KB, 667x468px) Image search: [Google]
ted-copy-667x468.jpg
49KB, 667x468px
>>61349274
>if only people had listened to him
>>
>>61349412
if your children cannot find their way home then they deserve their fate
>>
>>61349555
http://naplay.it/945/25-59
verification of the social media-as-drug thesis
>>
>>61355292
there's no point in getting a desktop if you aren't a hardcore video game player

you have to realize the worst smartphones today blow whatever Windows 95 machine you had out of the water
>>
>>61349948
10 Mb isn't enough when games are 25+GB. It takes forever even on my 100/100 Mb connection. It's also really easy for them to remove things you paid for since you're only buying a license instead of a real copy. Digital assets are a scam.
>>
File: FlICmGnj.jpg (144KB, 1395x1395px) Image search: [Google]
FlICmGnj.jpg
144KB, 1395x1395px
>>61359084
>born just in time to make a shit ton of money from programming machines
feels good man
>>
File: 1496809283860.png (5KB, 185x192px) Image search: [Google]
1496809283860.png
5KB, 185x192px
>>61361129
>only available kernel compiler is GCC
>>
>>61348441
Don't forget the stupid phone suction cups
>>
>>61362146
dude they're kids they're supposed to be stupid and unambitious

they have tiny little unorganized brains still
>>
>>61348418
Vapes
>>
>>61356362
>vynil
>>
>>61348418
I am not the only person I know who uses GNU/linux. The 2 others however calls it opensource instead of free software and linux instead of GNU/linux. Everyone is on snapchat and instagram and other propietary social media and thats basically all they do with there computers. Eveyone except the poor people uses an Iphone3 but most use a windows laptop. I feel out of place sometimes because I don't use any social media, don't have any sort of phone and do all my computing on a librebooted x200.
>>
>>61357474
I went blind reading that
>>
>>61350513
>differenciates
>>
>>61358820
>Samsung's
>>
>>61363270
I dunno, when I was 15 in scotland I knew how to wire a basic circuit, basic web scripting and the fundamentals in programming like VB and java, also there was a clique in my class that were obsessed with cars and motorbikes, from chavs to future engineering students. We weren't geniuses by any means but new generation is definitely passive. Internet used to be the wild west
>>
>>61363357
>Eveyone except the poor people uses an Iphone3
HOLY FUCK
You literaly went full stallman
>>
>>61356054
I'm in things same boat. I've pretty much dropped vidya and switched to tabletops. Shit like warhammer, dropzone, D&D, and painting miniatures. Tabletops are in much better shape than vidya at the moment.
>>
File: 1497025152288.jpg (17KB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
1497025152288.jpg
17KB, 540x304px
>>61358329
This kind of shit gets on my nerves. Generational tags are bullshit. I've seen the Gen Z normie and they're worse.
>>
>>61359084
Educational IT is what turned me into a NEET. Every time I look for a job I get flashbacks. I haven't acquired any significant skills in the last four years. It sucked the joy out of computing for me.
>>
>>61363443
I think the only acceptable vidya now is europa universalis and other grand strategies in general. Where are you from? When I was in Czech Republic and Germany I saw people playing board games in so many cafes and even a mcdonald's in a train station. It made me confused but very happy, maybe youth are based after all.
>>
18/6 months here
me:
>lurking here since 14 and installed Ubuntu on my poor fag laptop
>arch on laptop
>Slackware on desktop
>FreeBSD on NAS
>pfsense router
>rooted Android w/bloat removed

most people around me who aren't thrift shop computer shitposters like me are along the lines of
>Dell and HP laptops
>custom nVintel shill stations
>windows 10 gamer mode
>not many iPhones but when they have one they make sure you know
>... and then they're shamed for it
>most people have samshits
>"whoa your iMac G3 is so fucking retro"

it's not all iPhones and mindlessness like most people think. my gfs dad works on Debian exclusively and he asked me something similar earlier this week. the only people in my area who are /g/s perfect normies are black and poor but act rich because they pay an extra $13 a month on their phone bill to own "expensive" phones.
>>
>>61360127
People don't really care about privacy so:
"Why the fuck would I want to use anything else? Facebook already covered that need (instant msg) for me."
>>
>>61350372
Yea, that 30 cent disc that gets scratched and lost is a big asset. Much better than the convenience of playing games wherever , whenever , you log on.
>>
>>61363639
newfag btfo
>>
>this group is ambitious, engaged, and feel like they can change the world.
basically any young person ever is like this, until they realize the world a shit
>>
File: 1499027514257.jpg (30KB, 604x476px) Image search: [Google]
1499027514257.jpg
30KB, 604x476px
>>61348418
The amount of replies to this thread claiming what is popular is actually kind of depressing.
>>
>>61348555
It's not working for me, Moto x pure
>>
File: elsagate.jpg (2MB, 1600x6352px) Image search: [Google]
elsagate.jpg
2MB, 1600x6352px
>>61351136
>My sister's give their phone\tablets to their children (the youngest is 9 months old, oldest 3 yeras old) so they shut the fuck up and stare at the gay ass "children" videos on jewtube.
Terrible idea.
>>
File: 1359246271363.png (244KB, 594x720px) Image search: [Google]
1359246271363.png
244KB, 594x720px
I'm 32 but a week ago, I got a call from my 12 year old nephew who was beta orbiting some slut by fixing her pc and was begging me for help
>ask him if he at least ran a virus scan
>anon there's no app store its an old windows
>tell him to go download one from the internet
>get call back 5 minutes later
>anon it downloaded an exe but we're too afraid to run it, teacher told us those are usually viruses
>mfw I ended up coming over to fix it myself and got a big hug from the slutty lookin loli
>>
>>61349274
Japan is not a high tech country, folding paper is still the main way to pay for stuff, fax machines everywhere, booklets and paper archives for every city council, you should visit the place, it's quite jarring
>>
>>61365229
Nice
>>
>>61365229
lucky bastard
>>
File: 74220149.jpg (19KB, 393x349px) Image search: [Google]
74220149.jpg
19KB, 393x349px
>>61362146

>They thought you needed to be signed in to search the web.
>>
File: fucked.jpg (175KB, 1513x851px) Image search: [Google]
fucked.jpg
175KB, 1513x851px
>>61348418
Just graduated 18yo here.
iphones are 95% of hs, freshmeat sperged out when forced to use non-touchscreen laptop, 99% believe they are
 1337 H4x0r 
after using Psiphon to get around the school's filter.
In other words, society is fucked.
Pic very related.
>>
>>61365229
laughed
>>
18, studying engineering. school's full of normies who couldn't even into linux before they came here. pretty sad the hacker culture died before i was even born. how were engineering schools like in 1970s-1980s? i get fascinated reading about that shit on Richard Stallman's biography.
>>
My school is filled with people who have "gaming" laptops, chinkpads and then a few mac books sprinkled in.
The only linux that is used is ubuntu and Kali (script kiddies).
Phones is roughly a 50/50 spilt between iphones and android, with oneplus being one of the more popular.
>>
File: kek.jpg (34KB, 407x521px) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
34KB, 407x521px
kids here love tablets, they say a computer is outdated
>>
>>61358185
>13yr old script kiddies, now mostly trannies) from the 00s called noobs.

This is strangely on point
>>
>>61359009
>>61359053
>tfw nearly 30 reading this thread
>tfw been on this site for 13 fucking years

Cant relate to my peers, cant related to younger kids, cant relate to older people

Life is a fuck
>>
File: 1499951589129.jpg (36KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1499951589129.jpg
36KB, 400x400px
>>61348418
18 year old here, just finished high school. Everyone is obsessed with iPhones and Galaxy phones. Most of them never use desktop or laptop computers outside of school. I was in the computer club there and I was the only one who was using a Libreboot laptop. All the other guys used Ubuntu or Windows and one had a MacBook. I was the one teaching them how to program, and I taught all 9 of them the basics of the C programming language. I also had to set up them up in Codeblocks because using a single command is just too hard, and it's easier to click a million buttons. I have no idea what those nerds are going to do without me. They'll probably just play Steam games and jerk each other off like the stupid faggots they are.

I really hate people my age.
>>
>>61366901
>single command to compile

I left out some context. Those fat shitheads can't use the CLI version of GCC and have to be spoon fed.
>>
>>61366901
>>61366921
>>>/r/lewronggeneration
>>
>>61352473
don't worry too much, the proportion of kids that understand what they are doing is the same as before
>>
>>61348418
Retarded stuff like an Apple watch.
>>
>>61349615
>you guys always fail to see one thing: the masses were never good with computers
This. People see that era through lenses of just privileged few.
First, you had to even have parents that would buy you a computer. Second, knowledge was scarce and had to be fought over.
Without an access to a proper environment, a scene of people from who you could learn from, get tips and directions where to look for what, you'd be just another kid with a black box that plays video games. One Basic manual wasn't enough. Sure, there were magazines, but you can't really educate yourself on those. Books just weren't there yet.
Nowadays, you can learn just about everything concerning computers without investing anything in it but your free time.
Not to mention the impressive hobby electronic scene in the last 10 years or so. I think about it as a sort of a second coming - people who tinkered with all of those 8-bit microcontrollers will have a better "low-level" understanding in the future than now have the people who started from 8-bit computers back in the era.
>>
>>61348418 I'm going to give you a short description of highschool instead

No one cares about MacBook vs (Windows Laptop) since MacBooks require more adapters for school presentations which make the whole process look embarassing.

iPhones are everywhere, the Group chat is iMessaged so everyone with Android is fucked

Computer Science class is just basic HTML and CODE.ORG shit. Only /g/ approved thing here is the formal introduction of the GPL and MIT licenses for software.

Most school projectors still use VGA so old laptops aren't usually bullied. and thats pretty much it.
>>
>>61349412
>because that's the only thing they're getting with my money
Sure, why not - if you're ready for the fallout of your kid growing up alienated from his peer group.
Hope you don't mind that extra little space in your basement. Or food disappearing from your fridge. Or electricity bills and prostitutes passing you by in the corridor.
Hey, at least you'll have someone to mow the grass from time to time for you.
>>
File: 1476744239283.jpg (39KB, 508x524px) Image search: [Google]
1476744239283.jpg
39KB, 508x524px
>>61367002
>reddit
You have to go back.
>>
>>61348527
Maybe you meant where did everything go so right?

>1990
>tfw your 15 year old cousin literally doesn't know how to operate a unix terminal but can split layers on her Mac and uses all sorts of weird indie apps to do all manner of strange GUI normie shit
>>
>>61362148
>girls cramming shit because they have nothing else to do
wut?
>>
>>61351651
Have it report measures to website, have website offer rankings to attract the boys, have website link to socmed for the girls, have app link to self and other local rankings at that site. Add advertising at site, profit
>>
>>61368222
>have website link to socmed for the girls
figure it out how to shoot noods with your app and you're golden
>>
>>61368222
>tfw you literally can't tell if those are genuine tips or memes
>>
>>61361500
True af, I can't tell you how many tracks I have just for the beat, no surprise nobody wants to release their instrumentals when they're good but you can find a million terrible ones.
>>
>>61362284
https://a.pomf.cat/dumevo.mp4
https://a.pomf.cat/iqtdnh.mp4
cuts
>>
i'm glad my childhood isn't available on public video sharing websites
>>
>>61348418
>iphones
>Fidget Spinners
>Overpriced shiity earbuds from beats/apple/or other wallmart brands if you are a poorfag
>Social Media Apps
That is the extent of their use of technology. Our generation keeps on saying that Gen Z is the most redpilled and so on. I don't see anything red pilled from a vast majority of Gen Zs who do not like conservatism, watch degenerate tv shows, are openly homosexual, and are even more lazy and less intelligent then our generation. We are all doomed.

t. High School Physics teacher.
>>
iPhones/androids

Laptops

Tablets

Tv boxes
>>
>>61368959
It always saddens me when I see some one, whether it's a kid or an adult, constantly using technology yet having no idea how it works but still pretending they're tech savvy because they're a consumer.
Like I drive a car every day but I know shit about it outside of some general maintenance stuff. Just because I drive everyday doesn't make me a car guy.
Being on your phone all day doesn't make you a techie.
>>
>>61353182
Im 21 in college also and the only drug use i see in mary jane and adderall. The only time i hear about adderall is when it is near finals
>>
>>61348418
Graduated from school last year and doesn't quit my house till now
last time I communicate with other people irl there were 1 out of 100 who used loonix with me (archfaggot who I hope switched to gentoo nowdays ) and care about SOMETHING happen in the internet exclude socialnetworks
>>
>>61361757

same guy from trashy hs here. i feel compelled to add that school provided chromeOS laptops are what most kids use, i don't think many have a desktop anymore. i mentioned already that nerds are an exception, i think most of us have at least one laptop/desktop (2/1 for me). email isn't forgotten as it's the best way to communicate with professors, kids don't use it. though

like you said snapchat has replaced sms

sorry for phonepost
>>
>>61369874
>chromeOS
that style is for macOS you faggot. lurk moar.
>>
>>61369874
Yeah, you're right about not many kids having desktops, and the ones that do either use them purely for playing games or just don't use them at all. I haven't actually encountered a ChromeOS machine yet, maybe that's yet to come over here
>>
>>61348418
makes me angery but
> iPhone & Mac everything
> Anon, that computer is like 100 years old! Get a mac!
> 4 People use android
> "whats linux"
> gaymin laptps
>>
common lisp
(a man can dream)
>>
>>61369962
>being born in the 21st century
>>
Okay, who is samefagging here? and why do you threads this way?
>>
>>61370191
You seem amazingly literate and self-aware for a 14 year old. Maybe I just don't remember what it was like to be that age, but I expect Xbox live kiddies from that age demographic.
>>
>>61370191
Anon turn back.
I did that shit when I was fourteen and it ruined my life.
>>
File: 1235843372311.jpg (23KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
1235843372311.jpg
23KB, 500x332px
>>61370191
>urxvt
>x230
>i3
>qutebrowser

you should selfhost your email tho
>>
>>61370191
eh just be careful on the koolaid, i'm an emacs guy so i m no stranger to power tools, but sometimes you end up doing it jsut for the image, especially younger people.
>>
>>61355458
Phones can't do anything right

I've so far had 3 different mobile devices - an iPod touch 4th gen, an android tablet (don't know what version of lagdroid, pretty old), and now an android smartphone. None of them can compare to the usabilty of the PC. Even watching youtube is a shittier experience on the phone. The youtube app sometimes simply won't play videos and the browser is always shittier than a proper desktop browser. Even typing an address to go to an another page is much slower and clumsier on a mobile device.

Office tools like wordprocessors on mobile platforms are semi functional shit heaps filled with ads. I really tried using some of these devices as a replacement because I was convinced I wouldn't need to buy a laptop with this new era of mobile computing, since all I needed on the go was accessing documents and some browsing and email, but I had to give up. Between being locked down in terms of software and general issues, it just does not work.

If the personal computers introduced a few decades ago were as shit as today's mobile tech, MS would never become a juggernaut and half of businesses would still use typewriters. Mobile is not going to replace PCs because it took all the potential it had for doing that and swiftly thrown it out in the gutter. Mobile devices are nothing but short lived cheap consumer and advertising distraction platforms.
>>
>>61370436
I was all about being a cool Linux android kid when I was in highschool, and early university. Nowadays I'm 100% apple products because I can't be fucked to deal with all the "power user" bullshit.

Just remember: social skills with tech literacy will get you farther in tech than pure tech skills will.
>>
>>61355523
I had to teach students hanging indentions in Word and simple shortcuts like ctrl-c, ctrl-v and the like.
Also taught one how to remove all slide transitions in Powerpoint just the other week.
>>
>>61370307
thanks man, i appreciate that. of course back then when you were a kid, tech wasnt as widespread and available, i assume. my generation is surrounded by tech, in fact we kind of rely on it

>>61370308
elaborate?

>>61370324
i was thinking about the same thing actually. i made a digitalocean server vpn and i wanna host my mail too

>>61370436
yeah i gotta admit to normies i look like some anonymous guy but i gotta admit my setup just werks

i feel like i just misinterpreted what you have just sent desu
>>
>>61368066
Get bored easily so they cram things up their vagina.
>>
>>61355523
To be fair, setting up multiple screens in windows is horribly unintuitive.
Arandr is so much better and straight forward.
>>
>>61370553
I'm not that old kek I mean, I remember a pre-iphone world, but I'm not even 30 yet. Has Tim Cook's vision of iPad pro's replacing computers taken off amongst your demographic? I have stock that I'm hoping to see rise.
>>
>>61349410
>facebook messenger instead of IM
it is IM
>>
File: 1475851290042.jpg (20KB, 480x451px) Image search: [Google]
1475851290042.jpg
20KB, 480x451px
>>61348519
>fidget spinner apps
>>
>>61370191
reported
>>
>>61371336
Announcing reports is a bannable offense.
>>
>>61371336
Fagot.

That kid is the coolest person in this thread.
>>
>>61371406
Shitposts like this should be too
>>
19 yo pajeet here.
I like Thinkpad(t430 with devuan) and raspberry pi. Also, Xbox 360(for old gaymes) and PS VITA(for weeb games), although I'm abstaining from gayming for a while now. I want to buy a cheap Kindle for the E-ink display.That's all.
Well this is just me, and I'm a /g/ tier autist.
The rest of the kids of my age group are generally retarded and like ps4/xbone. Applel products are seen as a waste of money by even them, though. Girls are tech illiterate in general here
>>
>>61348479
>figet spinners

Back in my days we just jerked off and called it a day
>>
>>61371418
>Thinks he is actually 14.

You're an idiot.
>>
>>61354956
Who plans out 5 keyboard purchases in advance? Nothing to do with age, you're just autistic.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170714-110733.png (282KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170714-110733.png
282KB, 1440x2560px
>>61364661
Unless you have a rom the Moto X Pure doesn't have split screen.
>>
>>61370191
Impressive for a 14 y/o
>>
File: 4VoWpBS.png (588KB, 866x399px) Image search: [Google]
4VoWpBS.png
588KB, 866x399px
>>61348519
there are five fidget spinner books on the play market.
>>
>>61348418
My younger brother's friends asked me to help them build a computer they're like 10 so that cool. Besides that snapchat I guess where I live only poorfags and "muh I'm smarter than everyone else crowd" use android unless you have a galaxy. People have never heard of jailbreaking iPhones so there's that. No one has games on their phones as far as I can tell. People are dumb as fuck can't figure how to install new browsers or update flashplayer or whatever. Some don't even know how to use Google docs/sheets/presentation/etc.
>>
Razer Kraken. I see it as often as Beats. And guess what! I used to have one, and it's a piece of donkey shit.
>>
>>61349057
Snap chat is image twitter and face book statuses without the history.
>>
>>61370191
>14
>over 2 hours ago
>user still hasn't been banned for this post

and people said having a chinklord wouldn't make this place even shittier
>>
>>61348438
And Snapchat senpai
>>
>>61348441
Do the nigs use flagship phones, or shitty budget devices?
>>
>>61348575
It's why we have shit apps like SnapChat now that take screenshots of the screen I stead of using the camera API.

It's also why those who are really passionate will be able to stand out, since the majority of devs won't know how to do shit other than javascript
>>
>>61372185
Nah, they use old iphones like the iphone 4.
I see people using old old iPhone 4s all the time because they're too cheap to buy a newer model phone and they don't know what Android is.
>>
>>61348441
19 here too
Although i haven't interacted with any people in my age group or generation since i graduated high school
>>
>>61360211
>>61368222
Yeah definitely have to add social features. It's very basic now.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.baldarn.spinnermeter
>>
>>61348418
American in college here, iPhones are generally more popular than Androids, but Android still has a decent market share.

Snapchat is the cool app these days, and it seems like most of the normies I know are obsessed with streaks. Facebook is still used a lot among my peers, but my younger siblings almost exclusively use Instagram. I suspect this is due to kids signing up when they're younger, due to parents explicitly barring them from using Facebook, but the parents not really knowing about about Instagram.

I use Facebook Messenger, even more than I do SMS. Most people my age use that, or iMessage if it's through iPhones. I guess there's some Kik and WhatsApp, but not as many. Also, most people are migrating from Skype over to Discord, for voip in general and for messaging for gaming.

Generally, Spotify is the most popular for music streaming, although I have very little idea what people my age listen to.

Overall, gen z isn't very tech savvy, but they're better than previous generations because they'll usually actually Google something before seeking out tech support from family.

>>61356301
>https://storage.googleapis.com/think/docs/its-lit.pdf
>Social media breakdown by gender
>Snapchat: 46.6% Male, 66.7% Female

I get that some of them add up to less than 100% because not everyone specifies gender, but how is it over 100%? Are people 'identifying' as both?

Also, are Oreos really that cool? I'm 19, so I'm not even sure where I fall between millennials vs gen z, but I've never seen Oreo as much more than a brand of cookie.
>>
>>61359084
>I work in educational IT.
>For elementary students there's a huge emphasis on Chromebooks and Google apps for education. Computer labs are being replaced by cheap Chromebooks and iPads.
>Also compared to when I was in high school teachers are a lot less strict about using phones in class
18 here, just about spot on. My local high school is basically trying to switch you from binders and folders to an iPad since "It's all there." Snapchat, Instagram, Messenger and Discord are the new media/communication shit. Kik's only used for nudes and pedos/horny indians apparently now. My little sister (15yo) is bewildered why I'd rather listen to "scratching CD's and noises" (Drum&Bass, downtempo, ambient and a bit of classical/Jazz) rather than 'good music' (rap like xxxtenacion, lil uzi, lil yachty, etc.). Everyone's about Clash Royale and any audio equipment/headphones besides Beats, Sol Republic, Skullcandy, Sony and Bose is some chink shit and ugly. Corsair, Razer and Logitech mechanical keyboards only exist and never heard of other switches besides Cherry and Khail. It's all shit.
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.