[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do I need a switch?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: switch.jpg (26KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
switch.jpg
26KB, 640x480px
Here's my current setup:

The equipment i have is the Hitron CGNM-2250.

It has 4 ports for connections, which are 3 PCs mainly used for gaming, and an unused PS3. I'll be getting a Steam Link in the mail any day, and this will replace the PS3 wired connection.

I also have an external HD connected via USB to the Hitron that stores all our media so it's accessible by the PCs on the network.

There is no special setup. Everything is just plugged in and working.

The "tech guy" at my work seems adamant that i should add a switch to this setup. Other than "it will just work better" he can't seem to tell me why.

Is this true? Can i add a switch? Should i add a switch? If i should, how do i add it to the setup i have?
>>
You need 3 switches, one per pc
>>
>>61346115
You don't need a switch unless you need to add more ports.

Only having 4 is quite low, but that's personal opinion.
>>
Depends on how saturated your network will be. Most home setups are fine with hubs.
>>
>>61346149
This
"Tech guy" is retarded or just thinks you need more than 4 ports
>>
>>61346115
>The "tech guy" at my work seems adamant that i should add a switch to this setup. Other than "it will just work better" he can't seem to tell me why.
i see no reason for a switch
you could need a hub instead of a switch IF you need more ports
nice "tech" guy
>>
>hubs
What is this 90s outdated shit?
>>
>>61346545
its like you are saying a bicycle is outdatet
>>
File: e-bike.jpg (221KB, 2000x1414px) Image search: [Google]
e-bike.jpg
221KB, 2000x1414px
>>61346712
Yours probably is, luddite
>>
>>61346115
>Is this true?
No.

>Can i add a switch?
Sure. It will give you the ability to add more devices. If you currently have multiple long cables going from the room with the Hitron to the room with multiple devices, you will be able to replace that with one cable with a switch at the end.

>Should i add a switch?
Only if you want to do one of the above things. If not, there is no point at all.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.