[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 1489166891070.png (104KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1489166891070.png
104KB, 512x512px
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Kernel
>Choose an appropriate kernel source and install it using emerge:
emerge --ask sys-kernel/gentoo-sources

This isn't installing the linux kernel sources into /usr/src/ for some reason.
Does anyone know what I can do? I've been up all night reading the handbook and applying everything carefully.
It would be a kick in the balls if something wrong has occurred.
>>
I'm kind of rusty when it comes to Gentoo but when posting something like this it's usually a good idea to post your make.conf and also any errors that displayed.

Did you change the ACCEPT_LICENSE from the default in your make.conf? IIRC it requires the freedist license which isn't available if you changed it to *FREE.

If you don't have any luck here you could also try posting on the Gentoo forum and searching there for similar problems.
>>
>>61323701
>This isn't installing the linux kernel sources into /usr/src/ for some reason.
Post the build log

But there's literally nothing that can go wrong with this, unless you're running emerge on one computer, and checking /usr/src on another (or outside of chroot)
>>
Does anybody actually use Gentoo? I've never met a single person in real life who has ever used it. Even in screenfetch threads I only see one or two.

I've been trying to get it to work but something always goes wrong and I just revert back to an it-just-werks distro.
>>
It should install it into something like /usr/src/linux-{version}. You can then use eselect kernel list and eselect kernel set to make a symlink from that version to /usr/src/linux, or just do that yourself
>>
Build it from the source directory in /usr/sources
>>
>>61323701
install gentoo
>>
>>61326529
tried it for a server once but didn't like it that much. if you want to install something like OpenSSL 1.1.0 system-wide it will break 9001 packages that refuse to compile. gentoo stable is a-ok though.
>>
>>61323701
You need to select it using eselect.
sudo eselect kernel list
sudo eselect kernel set number_here
>>61326529
I do use gentoo on a desktop PC and two laptops.
>>
>>61326529
I do. It was a pain in the ass to get everything working though
>>
>>61326529
I use gentoo on three desktops, laptop and a vps
It's more deveoper-friendly than Ubuntu, plus you still need to get into the guts of the os because none of them really "just werk"
>>
File: screenshot.png (340KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.png
340KB, 1920x1080px
>>61326529
i have two laptops, one workstation and one server running gentoo.
>>
>>61325666
I think you are correct about him not being chrooted
>>
>>61326529
I used it once. My computer hard drive was slow as fuck. So building everything from source was too slow. Uninstalled gentoo and installed Arch.
>>
File: my soul.jpg (79KB, 874x684px) Image search: [Google]
my soul.jpg
79KB, 874x684px
>>61326841
>>61327222
>>61329025
How long/how many tries did it take for you to successfully get gentoo working as a normal OS? Did you use any resource aside from the wiki?

>tfw too much of a brainlet for gentoo
>>
>>61329341
https://github.com/chiru-no/cloveros/releases/download/20170709/CloverOS-x86_64-20170709.iso
>>
>>61326529
>Does anybody actually use Gentoo?
I have it on my laptop right now. I have Arch on my other two computers.

I didn't find it that bad except for trying to get lvm on luks working and a couple of packages that failed to build (upgrading them to the testing branch fixed it).

Overall, it can be a huge pain in the ass to use, but portage is pretty great.
>>
>>61326529
Use it on my desktop, laptop, and home server.
>>
>>61326529
Gentoo on 2 boxes, CloverOS on 2 laptops
>>
>>61329290
>shit was too slow
>so bathed in piss
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.