[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Windows 98 can run like a top with 256mb of RAM >Modern

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

>Windows 98 can run like a top with 256mb of RAM
>Modern operating systems use upwards of 4GB of RAM while idle

why? what are new OSes doing that is so much more complicated than old ones?
>>
File: Tux.png (12KB, 265x314px) Image search: [Google]
Tux.png
12KB, 265x314px
>>61323635
Telemetry, graphics, background processes, etc.

>Linux bud
>>
A combination of additional services, keeping frequently used application assets in memory and visual rice.

Oh and botnet. /g/ wouldn't let me get away without mentioning telemetry.
>>
>Modern operating systems use upwards of 4GB of RAM while idle
no they don't, Windows 10 uses 4GB of ram - Windows isn't the sole OS in the world
>>
>>61323635

You can get Vista and XP64 to like 300-400mb used with some Xlite shenanigans.
>>
>>61323635
My Win 10 installation uses 2GB while idle. Also I'm pretty sure Windows will reserve more memory based on how much you have available, so it's not exactly an accurate measure of used memory.
>>
>>61323635
>256mb
>not 16mb
>>
>muh telemetry
>muh bluetooth
>muh wireless adaptors
>muh cores
>muh power management
>muh listening devices
>muh backdoor
Computing was more fun in 1997
>>
>>61323635
4gb at idle? Not likely.
>>
>>61323635
>>Modern operating systems use upwards of 4GB of RAM while idle
My installation of Win10 pro uses 2.7 GB on startup, with 8 GB of total memory.
>>
>>61323704
>My Win 10 installation uses 2GB while idle. Also I'm pretty sure Windows will reserve more memory based on how much you have available, so it's not exactly an accurate measure of used memory.

This. If you have the memory, Windows will use it for performance. RAM is faster than your hard drive. I'll eventually rig up a Windows 10 machine that can run 98 somehow and try some performance tests.
>>
>>61323635
bitch whaat, i ran 98se for 2 years on 64mb of ram before upgrading to 192mb
>>
>>61323741
Well that's a lot
>>
>>61323664
ubuntu and win10 both use about 2,6GB RAM during regular use on my machines.
>>
>>61323867
ubuntu a shit
>>
File: IMG_0254.jpg (19KB, 238x192px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0254.jpg
19KB, 238x192px
>>61323660
Came here to read a Telemetry comment and I found one. Bravo.
>>
install chrome
>>
>>61323635
A lot of things can be done faster when you use more memory.
An OS does so many things now it is hard to pinpoint why it uses so much memory and since it is proprietary it doesn't matter as you can't fix it even if you had the time and the skills.
With Linux, you can diff the source, you can make changes and you can even use the old version if you want.
Every line of code can be traced back to the person who wrote it
>>
File: 1345757117835.gif (35KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
1345757117835.gif
35KB, 750x750px
>>61323635
MS-DOS works on even less, but it's so bare bones, that programmers needed to get to the hardware directly to make anything work.

Same with 98. Writing software for 98 was painful. Now it's as easy as anal masturbation (which I highly recommend by the way), because of all the frameworks.
>>
ChromeOS runs great with 4GB.
>>
File: IMG_2294.jpg (88KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2294.jpg
88KB, 1366x768px
>what is caching
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.