[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

do any of you actually work in tech-related jobs or are you just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 15

File: reddit_pro.png (194KB, 1253x516px) Image search: [Google]
reddit_pro.png
194KB, 1253x516px
do any of you actually work in tech-related jobs or are you just pretenting to be experts?
myself, I'm a reddit pro
>>
im a brogrammer
>>
haha wtf is wrong with poojeets
>>
Yes.
>>
File: Ingrid.jpg (288KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Ingrid.jpg
288KB, 1080x1080px
healthcare IT support

moving internally to infosec when I graduate next year
>>
>>61320159
Linux sys admin.
>>
File: aliases.png (185KB, 806x1008px) Image search: [Google]
aliases.png
185KB, 806x1008px
I work for one of the biggest tech company's in the world as a Snr Support Engineer for there Data Systems (Dealing with admin's is my client base)

Not a lot of coding, but a deep enough Linux knowledge is required, really love the job.

Could move into writing scripts potentially in the future, but I like it this way to be honest.
>>
>>61320159
I'm a wagecuck java developer who does finance compliance stuff. I don't build everything from scratch, I just build bits and pieces of new features on an existing product.
No, I'm not a pajeet
>>
>>61322346
what company?
>>
I am a security analyst for a big steel company
>>
Software Architect for a AV communication corporation
>>
>>61320159
still a student but i am prepping myself or a position in Data Science™
>>
i'm a practicing architect

i literally just use autocad and Revit all day
>>
>>61323761
lolDELLemc

I actually like it though, will definately be here for the time being, salaries good, treated well, even though it's corporate.
>>
i am the hr dude that deny you jobs and give them to pajeets
>>
I'm the bull for Brian Krzanich's wife. He keeps me on payroll as a consultant, but the only consulting I do is fucking his wife raw while he watches.

Sometimes I like to make him assemble AMD computers while I drill his wife's ass and she screams like a banshee.
>>
>>61324291
Opinions on archicad?
>>
I'm a Jr. Data Engineer.
>>
>>61327673
here

>>61322346
What does your data systems do? Ours mostly works with improving the quality of the data pipeline, looking for incorrect/missing info, etc, mostly with Kafka primarily at the moment. I'm not familiar with there roles too much to be honest. Kinda curious how it is elsewhere.
>>
i majored in english, i'm only shitposting here.
>>
Data Scientist
>>
Lead developer on a set of cryptographic tools standing by.
>>
linux administrator at a payment provider
>>
>>61320159
The "all around" IT support guy.
Will probably fix your company's broken firewall.
(will probably sell you another one and program it)
>>
>>61327914
>program a firewall
>>
I'm have been a software developer for a large company in the automotive industry for almost 5 years now, I get average pay but amazing benefits. My job is 20% development, 80% fixing shit the pajeets and fresh-out-of-college diversity hires broke.
>>
I used to pretend at work too...
>>
Usb device stuff, its chill i love my boss
>>
help desk monkey and I hate it; trying to move into sysadmin but honestly lately I've been applying to everything
>>
File: brian-krzanich_2-cropped.jpg (101KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
brian-krzanich_2-cropped.jpg
101KB, 1200x800px
>>61326338
and then you woke up
>>
I'm a system admin.
>>
File: 1483502795447.jpg (52KB, 540x403px) Image search: [Google]
1483502795447.jpg
52KB, 540x403px
>>61320159
Studying CS while being part time employed as a tech for a smaller ISP and also just got hired part time to do internal IT support for one of the biggest jewelry companies in my country.
When the summer ends i think i'm gonna resign from the ISP because i won't be able to work 30+ hours next to my studies.
>>
Desktop Support

Wanting to move into consulting, BA, or even a data analysis role. I just want fucking healthcare.
>>
Just got employed to a pajeet tier dev job

My start date is the 17th and I'm already considering blowing my brains out

At least I get to live at the beach
>>
SAP consultant
>>
>>61329269
Mind explaining how you ended up doing what you are doing?

About to graduate and we cover a good deal of SAP and by that I mean we just go through some modules like BO and BI. Not sure what I'll end up doing honestly.
>>
>>61320333
How easy is it?
Could someone who is familiar with the command line and troubleshooting a linux OS land a job at a school or normie office building as a system admin?

What is the most common thing you do on a daily basis?
>>
>>61328737
>ISP
Do you guys do deep-packet-inspection
>>
I use a computer at work all day, does that count?
>>
File: 1491989748158.jpg (132KB, 391x311px) Image search: [Google]
1491989748158.jpg
132KB, 391x311px
>>61320159
I'm hospital helpdesk phone jockey who gets to repair computers in between calls. I'm pretty much pretending to be an expert and just good with Google. I was 0651 in the Marines but I remember jack shit about anything to do with Cisco. I didn't even last a semester in my University when I went. Now I watch Linus tech tips and get yelled at by doctors when I can't instantly figure out why their shit doesn't work. It's pretty comfy though. I got my own cubicle.
>>
25N- Network Systems Operator in the Army. Like a network engineer and admin in one. I enjoy it myself. It's the army so that part sucks but my job is pretty good.
>>
>>61329401
Most of those kinds of places you're talking about are in a Window's environment.
>>
File: 1498516662397.jpg (44KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
1498516662397.jpg
44KB, 1200x675px
embedded developer intern at nokia/bell labs
>>
>>61329593
You mean most places in general, right? Could a geek make it as an admin because he is familiar with most popular OS and knows how to trouble shoot online?

If so I am going to fucking slam into a position and get the fuck off these foodstamps ASAP.
>>
I neither work in tech nor pretend to be an expert. In fact I regularly talk about how much of a casual scrub I am. A Facebook machine is overkill to me. It seems to infuriate some Anons.
>>
>>61329428
No we don't monitor the traffic at all except we keep track of the total amount of data each month because of our fair-use agreement.
Our abuse inbox is littered with DMCA filings against our torrenting users, but the CEO litterally doesn't give a fuck about them.
Every once and a while we receive subpoenas from the Police when they want the information of an user behind an IP that has downloaded CP or engaged in illegal behavior.
>>
>>61329697
I'm in Desktop Support (internship though) and my boss knows quite a bit more than me but with enough googling I can figure most things out. He google's plenty as well. IT is just one of those thing you can know a lot but you never stop learning.

From what I've gathered most help desk and desktop support positions want someone who has good customer service skills and is willing to learn. 9/10 they'll take the guy who can handle customers and is willing to learn versus the autistic wiz who no one wants to be around.
>>
>>61329697
As far as admin though, yea eventually but honestly that is a slowly dying field with the rise of things such as VMware. Not to say it's all doom and gloom but I'd shoot higher than admin, you won't start out there either.
>>
Network Engineer @ Google. I work on edge network and our CDN. ask me anything
>>
>>61329679
are you here still? What kind of stuff do you work on. I'm really interested in embedded systems, I'm doing a CS undergrad degree right now and this summer I am interning as a web developer for a financial company but I don't like it that much. I really want to go to grad school for embedded systems and get a job in the aerospace industry because it sounds cool as fuck. Do you have any tips, whats it like, etc...

pls
>>
professional full time software engineer here, but I was a NEET for like 8 years before this
>>
>>61330127
What degree did you do in undergrad? do you do any programming in your job? what does your day consist of typically?
>>
Backend dev for high traffic website.
>>
I'm a TA. It's not a "real" job but I get to yell at CS undergrads because they struggle with discrete mathematics.
>>
It's funny how you retarded butthurt beta ugly permavirgins lied. It's obvious that you'll never have a job because you're trapped in your parents' basement. Your lies are unbelievable and you don't have any proof to support them. Those are facts. Get over it.

t. Intelligent beautiful woman.

>>61328628
You can say the same thing to everyone else who lied.
>>
>>61330752
thanks for the bump
>>
File: dennis.jpg (24KB, 418x556px) Image search: [Google]
dennis.jpg
24KB, 418x556px
>>61330165

I'm a masters student in CS but have an unrelated engineering undergrad degree.

I work on software tools for hardware radios - I don't do anything super groundbreaking as an intern but I get to write programs that directly interface with the hardware using C/C++.

The workplace itself is pretty great with a ton of history and smart engineers. I visited the unix lab today; got to see Dennis Ritchie's former office and also Aho's/Kernighan's office. Talked to a bunch of older engineers who told me about the days when they were creating C and Unix.

Pic related, Ritchie's old office.
>>
>>61329679
ATTENTION BAJORAN WORKERS
>>
>>61325808

MA office? I've looked into Dell EMC and it seems cool

I'd like to try interviewing there after I finish my degree
>>
General aws/ azure sysop administrator.
The work is pretty cool but i want to move on to secops.
>>
minimum wage research assistant implementing cellular automata in cuda for network optimization
>>
Game developer for ~3 years and just recently founded a hardware startup
>>
Second line helpdesk support for a mid sized MSP but I'm moving into more of a network administration role as each day passes and I take more and more complex tickets for myself
>>
>>61329269
My condolences
>>
I am a self employed Tech Support guy.
>>
>>61322346
mirin that swap file one liner
>>
>>61327673
>>61327849
this is just Silicon Valley says statistician, right?
>>
>>61330165
get straight A's (if you can't do this just skip grad school)
make friends with a good professor and help them do research

embedded is like any other kind of programming except you actually have to care about performance constraints
>>
File: CIA nigger.jpg (111KB, 1280x702px) Image search: [Google]
CIA nigger.jpg
111KB, 1280x702px
>>61322346
>ba
>ck
>what is pushd
>what is popd
>what is cd -
>>
>>61332220
In a worst case, it just means you type data out on spread sheets
>>
>>61330752
>you all lie about your personal life
>I'm an intelligent, beautiful woman
We all project
>>
File: 1471350397152.png (128KB, 383x294px) Image search: [Google]
1471350397152.png
128KB, 383x294px
>>61320159
Holy shit OP. I kek'd for like 5 minutes.
>>
CS/CE Major from one of the best schools in the US but I'm in the army and do nothing with tech

College really is figuring out what you don't want to do in life
>>
File: 1473715016474.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
1473715016474.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>61322346
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>61322346
Please quote your variables.
>>
I am a developer and co-owner of a small company making internet of shit technologies.
>>
"QA Engineer". I think my job title includes "senior" somewhere, too. I do some boring shit that I question the point of, as because of our product (OS), we don't really test much of in-house software, we do not integrate tests into the tested software, we only test installation and core functionality of thousands of packages.
>>
I'm a neet, and if you're ready to be pissed off [spoiler] I get £1200 a month in bennies and 60% of the rent on my two bedroom house paid for even though I live on my own [/spoiler]
>>
>>61332155
Cool, what kind of hardware startup is it?
>>
>>61332748
No
>>
>>61332708
>College really is figuring out what you don't want to do in life
Pretty much my experience with IT, except that I don't have a loan, and instead get paid for doing it.
>>
File: IMG-20170620-WA0002.jpg (19KB, 406x362px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170620-WA0002.jpg
19KB, 406x362px
I'm a Test Analyst for a domain, hosting and solutions company
>>
I just landed a job as a Java Software Engineer for about 45k € / month before taxes.

I'm fresh out of university (got my diploma last month) and have no work experience whatsoever in this field. This is my first IT job.

Did I do good?
>>
>>61334340
>45k € / month
I think you misunderstood the offer.
Where do you live?
>>
>>61334393
Whoops. I meant 45k € / year of course, sorry.
>>
>>61334426
Well then, 3750 EUR is, depending on location, mediocre to good.
Look at the second map:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_countries_by_average_wage
>>
>>61334480
Ok thanks. I'm in Germany so it seems to be pretty average. I'm ok with that for my first job.
>>
starting monday as embedded Linux tech support - firewall hw
>>
>>61332901
Building premium smart mirrors. a niche market
>>
>>61334519
that's pretty okay for germany with no experience in the field. Eurofins pays around that much for DEVs and then they say "lol its scrum experience doesnt matter" and pays them all like that.
>>
I am a truck driver with 11 years experience. I have a degree in education but after 2 years of constantly having conflicting desires to either fuck or kill the students, decided it wasn't for me. Now I make double the salary, and get to be alone all day.
>>
>>61320159
Software Engineer in the Azure SRE org at Microsoft.
>>
>>61336176
Good on you, however, driving or sitting n a vehicle all day everyday sounds like torture to me.
>>
>>61320159
Yes.
Web Dev., Radio Programmer, and I have my hands in some of the Financial stuff where I work.
>>
File: 1497811062622.png (431KB, 1080x750px) Image search: [Google]
1497811062622.png
431KB, 1080x750px
>>61320159
Is 7 months of job searching normal? I have gotten within an inch of landing a gig two times now, bunch of phone interviews and in persons. Really fucking with my head though.

How did you get the sweet programming gig?
>>
Dropped out of engineering school after two semesters at a very large texas public uni, now working as a C# programmer/webdev making ~70k.

Not too bad for failing out of school haha.
>>
Developer at small yet quite profitable startup.

Golang mainly :)
>>
>>61322346
>certain web sites
>>
>>61320159
I work at a government building fixing notebooks, mostly.
The notebooks are used by judges and justice procurators and any misstep can cost my job, so its pretty stressing. Also, I'm not paid very well.
>>
Im an embedded enginer writing firmware for drives. Pretty great considering my workspace with the avg age of 40yo is nothing like these hipster, kode places that 'modern' companies try to do.

And its a pretty solid knowledge you get from a guys that are in the industry for years (Im 26 btw). The shittiest part of working with people your age is that as long as you are not retarded, there's pretty big chance you know more than them, so you learn nothing.
>>
>>61338116
Missed it at first, preddy good
>>
>>61331449
oh shit, Aho taught my CS theory class. He's a cool guy.
Thread posts: 102
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.