[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Im turning my old PC into a gaming machine for the old games.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

Im turning my old PC into a gaming machine for the old games. There are a couple 95 era games like Driver, NFS most wanted and NHL 2004 but most are dos era like kings quest, police quest, treasure mountain, operation Neptune and the like. My old PC has a gigabyte 7600 era GPU but im pretty sure it has 512 MB graphics memory.
My question is am I better off using windows 7 or xp for this or using Linux and wine? I am not inexperienced in Linux but this will be for my sister and I want it to be click and play.
>>
You're better of using Windows.
For such old hardware there's a slim chance the proprietary drivers for whatever GPU are going to work properly on Linux because both Nvidia and AMD have a silly habit of abandoning drivers after 2-3 years.
>>
>>61313220
Oslo try using XP, you're going to get much better compatibility because most of these games were made when XP was still "in charge", even if most of them could potentially work on 7.

Just don't connect it to a network.
>>
>>61313173
Use xp, it'll be fun!
>>
Thanks. That was my original plan, using xp and dosbox. I shouldn't have any real problems with the old games, and I can set everything to be one-click.
>>
>>61313173
I still have that card laying around somewhere!
>>
>>61313300
I assume you were much younger back then. Did you play any similar games?

My first PC was my dads Tandy 1000? with DOS plus windows 3.1.
The memories.
>>
>>61313342
>>61313300
I was 15 when I bought that card. My uncle told me that cards with fans get too hot so avoid them. Good luck with that now. My current is a 380x and while it stays pretty decent in temp, im sure its no match in that regard for one of those fanless 1050s
>>
>>61313173

You are so fucking retarded I don't even know where to start
>>
From what I remember XP is not good for DOS games.
You're better off using DOSBOX on a modern computer, or using Windows 98 on that old machine.

To be honest, a 2003 era gaming PC is not very useful at all today. Most games from that era work fine on modern machines, and they can't play DOS games either. It's just a waste of electricity.
>>
>>61313342
>>61313398
I'm 32 so I was ~21 when I bought that for my Core 2 / E6300 build. Was mainly playing BF1942 + Desert Combat mod and HL2 DM and wanted a dead silent box.

Our first system was a TI-99 but the first one I really remember was an AST 386 with DOS + 3.1. Good times!
>>
>>61313457
Im 26 and I had a Celeron D I bought at walmart and wanted an upgrade for Metal of Honor and Brothers in Arms
>>
>>61313173
Try XP POS Ready 2009. No activation required, completely clean (official ISO available from MS), SP3 patched up and ready to roll. Broad support for older software up through somewhat recent software.
>>
hehe, 3DFX Voodoo 3 FTW! A real classic card for 1996 - 2000 era games. Most games at this period were pretty much geared for 3DFX hardware (Glide) so combined with a P3/Athlon/Celeron 1.4Ghz & 512mb/1GB of ram you should be set. Don't use your classic voodoo 2/3's in modern pcs cause the higher clocked cpu's send so much data to the voodoo's that the cards will overheat and die!
>>
>>61313688
3DFX Voodoo 3 3000 AGP...so nice

The castle intro to Unreal was jaw dropping back in the day.
>>
File: 1468679527909.jpg (26KB, 488x472px) Image search: [Google]
1468679527909.jpg
26KB, 488x472px
>>61313173
>putting Fabio on a GPU box
>>
>>61313173
If you do you XP or windows & stay off the internet with it. You don't want a wannacry virus on the PC or other viruses.
>>
>>61313445
Or windows 98? Is 98 still native dos?
>>
>>61313457
Beep beep
Starting msdos

Wah waaaaah
>>
File: 1497390739899.jpg (52KB, 581x593px) Image search: [Google]
1497390739899.jpg
52KB, 581x593px
>>61313173
legit what makes you think a woman is going to spend anytime playing a game women dont like them
>>
>>61315176
I played all the games with her as a kid. All of them. All. Of. Them.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.