[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why didn't they just put a USB c port on both the top and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: nexus-6p-usb-type-c1.jpg (42KB, 1000x541px) Image search: [Google]
nexus-6p-usb-type-c1.jpg
42KB, 1000x541px
Why didn't they just put a USB c port on both the top and bottom?
And why aren't there USB c earbuds?
>>
why don't you shut the fuck up?
>>
>>61304802
go away fag.
>>
>>61304802
Multiple USB ports is a good idea but
>USB C earbuds
Fucking no.
>>
>>61304802
>USB C headphones

Wanting garbage tier DAC instead of superior onboad DAC.

KYS
>>
>>61305395
Well supposedly USB-C allows analog passthrough as well, but it's still an inferior port for audio compared to 3.5mm. 3.5mm is 360 degree pluggable. USB-C has 2 hard stops in terms of how it can plug in.
>>
>>61305433
>pay more for inferior product
>>
>>61305491
I'm not arguing for USB-C you dumbfuck.
>>
>>61304802
I dunno but the USB-A to USB C adapter that came with my Pixel is awesome. It lets me plug in my mouse/keyboard and headphones
>>
>>61304802
are u retarded
>>
>>61305862
>plugging in all that crap into a phone
christ
>>
>>61305707
>posting on /gee/
>not being a dumbfuck
Woah
>>
>>61305955
>not remotely playing your games while you poop.
Sorry that you aren't as enlightened as others
>>
this thread is uncharacteristically shitty even for /g/

don't let it get to you OP this is an anomalous concentration of angry retards
>>
>>61306044
>plugging in
>remotely
ESL pls stop
>>
>>61305395
I don't understand this, why do idiots think the DAC will go away just because the plug changes?

Seriously, as long as a phone retains the actual phone bit, they can't get rid of it. You didn't honestly think that the speaker you use during calls was powered by digital signals and pixie dust, did you?
>>
>>61304811
fpbp
>>
>>61306171
they traditionally move the DAC to the attached device instead of having it in the phone. then either the external adapter or headphones with the built in DAC is more expensive or they use a shitty one.
>>
>>61304802
there isn't enough room on a smartphone mobo for lanes for 2 USB-C ports. They do make USB-C headphones. But audio signals to USB aren't routed through an internal DAC/AMP and require those boards built into the headphones. And the market for USB-C headphones with a decent DAC/AMP is non existent right now.
>>
>>61306219
What do you mean traditionally? When has that ever happened?

Also, I'll repeat myself more clearly, as long as the device has a SPEAKER, which it will if it is ever going to function as a PHONE, it will need a DAC. There is no way around this.
>>
I have a Nexus 6p, and I have never needed a second usb-c port. I agree with the other anons here though about the headphones.
>>
>>61304802
Jokes on you fuckwit when Apple adopts wireless charging at some point soon phones won't have any ports at all

Wireless chargers are already low enough on price that they can include one in the box I've seen them on Amazon for $10

So pretty soon phones won't have a port at all
>>
>>61306265
iPhone 7
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/no-stereo-jack-no-problem-iphone-7-sounds-great/
>By taking out the 3.5mm jack, Apple is removing the need for these two components. The lightning port and lightning input are both digital, so the phone does not need a DAC any more. The iPhone 7 can thus be more battery efficient, and have room for other components (like a bigger battery) in its slim case.
>The DAC and amp will now sit in the headphones. Yes, the headphones still require analog output, since they use physical moving parts. There are already headphone amps for audiophiles, but most don’t come with a DAC.

DAC was moved to the headphone adapter cable in iPhone 7, and it sounds worse than the iphone 6
http://bgr.com/2016/09/20/iphone-7-headphones-jack-sound-test/

>Also, I'll repeat myself more clearly, as long as the device has a SPEAKER, which it will if it is ever going to function as a PHONE, it will need a DAC. There is no way around this.
they use a much cheaper DAC since the speakers on the phone itself are crappy/need voice fidelity, not high audio fidelity. the lightning port on the iPhone 7 provides a digital signal which is then interpreted by an external DAC, whether it's the shit one in apple's 3.5mm headphone adapter or one built into the headphone itself by the headphone manufacturer
>>
>>61306313
So Apple has done it once and that makes it tradition?

As for the quality of the DAC in the phone dropping, I can't find a single source for this claim. You speculate that it's due to lower fidelity required for voice calls but that is of course ignoring modern call sound improvement and the fact that people will actually use the speaker on the device.
>>
>>61306469
Apple started it, other (mainly Chinese manufacturers) already axed the headphone jack in certain models. Removing the good DAC from the phone saves money and leaves more room for other components or to make the phone thinner/smaller. USB Type C supports digital audio to go to an external DAC in the same fashion, although it also supports analog audio over certain pins.

There's already word that the Pixel 2 will most likely lack a headphone jack. With a little under a year out from Apple doing it on the iPhone 7, it's too hard to tell the long term impact on competing manufacturers.

http://www.droid-life.com/2017/06/26/possible-2nd-gen-pixel-specs/
>>
>>61306312
wireless charging is many years away from being comparable to wired, especially considering how quickly recent androids charge wired

dont get me wrong, Id like to not have to deal with cords but its going to be a while
>>
>COURAGE
>>
>>61306654
Wireless charging is already there.

>I sell the charging pads for Mophie and Samsung at work

Yes, it does do fast charging (2.1A - 2.4A)

The samsung one even comes with a AFC Samsung piece
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.