[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: unix.gif (6KB, 642x212px) Image search: [Google]
unix.gif
6KB, 642x212px
What went wrong?
>>
>>61304318
It's not free as in freedom.
>>
>>61304325
Neither is Windows, but you and a billion other normalfags are playing games on it right now. Doesn't really address the faggot OP's question.
>>
>>61304318
Too many standards, too much reliance on "good enough" ideas. The shortcomings became a part of the standard.
>>
>>61304318
It's main problem was it was proprietary so took about a decade or so of lawsuits and legal threats in order to do anything with it outside of paying a shit ton of money to AT&T.

It's only present day problem is it's outdated, monolith kernel designs are 30yrs too old and various projects exist to improve this.
>>
>>61305009
People who like the things that Unix provides want free software. People that don't care about Unix-like programs will use whatever shitty OS that lets them browse facebook without issues.

Linux is successful because it's free software with the good things that unix offers.
>>
>>61304318
A couple of simpletons created a hackjob of a multi user OS with an ad hoc programming language and people created a standard from it.
Basically >>61305029
>>
Unix as in System V?
Terrible business choices, and less relevance caused by FSF.
Unix as in BSD?
Still relevant commercially.
>>
>>61306931
>BSD
>relevant
bwahahahahaha
>>
Unis Torvalds simply lost interest in it.
>>
>>61305331
Simpletons? They made a hackjob but a sensible one. Windows NT was a hackjob of a hackjob and 3 others and it wasn't sensible at all.

Plan 9 redid the overall UNIX design from scratch with the compromises cut out. It left only the good parts of the UNIX design and undid the limitations people whined about and yet nobody wanted Plan9.
>>
>>61305331
I wouldn't say they were simpletons. Unix has some really wonderful work in it, it just didn't have networking from the onset, because it didn't exist at the time. The file metaphors work well, as plan9 showed, and they could have been carried to greater lengths.
>>
This is what went wrong:

Bell Laboratories

Murray Hill, NJ (dec!ucb)wav!research!rob

It seems that UNIX has become the victim of cancerous growth at the hands of
organizations such as UCB. 4.2BSD is an order of magnitude larger than Version
5, but, Pike claims, not ten times better.

The talk reviews reasons for UNIX's popularity and shows, using UCB cat as a
primary example, how UNIX has grown fat. cat isn't for printing files with line
numbers, it isn't for compressing multiple blank lines, it's not for looking at
non-printing ASCII characters, it's for concatenating files.

We are reminded that ls isn't the place for code to break a single column into
multiple ones, and that mailnews shouldn't have its own more processing or joke
encryption code.

Rob carried the standard well for the "spirit of UNIX," and you can look
forward to a deeper look at the philosophy of UNIX in his forthcoming book.
>>
>>61307513
(((BSD)))
>>
>>61307385
>>61307467
OK, 9shill, then lets say they didn't complete it.
They still don't have the nice form of non-blocking IO what makes PyParallel work on Windows that was backported to homOSeX.
>>
>>61307746
I have no idea if Plan9 supports non-blocking IO, however, it's got some very good ideas, and there's no reason global namespaces and pseudo-files for everything would prevent some non-blocking IO. Please don't mistake my interest in an almost 20-year-old research operating system for advocacy, I don't think Plan9 is the silver bullet of OS design.
>>
>>61307022
>t. REEEEEEEEEEEEE WHY DOES EVERYONE HAVE A MACBOOK AND NOT MUH MANLY CHINKPAD
>>
>>61307815
>I have no idea if Plan9 supports non-blocking IO, however, it's got some very good ideas, and there's no reason global namespaces and pseudo-files for everything would prevent some non-blocking IO.
Probably not. There were even implementation proposals/Linux for the mentioned techniques for Linux and various BSDs, but I think so far MeggOS are the only ones that picked that up.
>Please don't mistake my interest in an almost 20-year-old research operating system for advocacy, I don't think Plan9 is the silver bullet of OS design.
Point taken. Expecting reason on /g/ simply doesn't pay.
>>
File: the macfag.png (885KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
the macfag.png
885KB, 1280x1024px
>>61304318
Basically >>61305029 and >>61305331

>>61307822
>t. macfag

Mac OS is not BSD.
>>
Businesses realized that Linux and basic x86-64 hardware was good enough for most server applications.

Nobody wants to spend millions of dollars on dumb licenses and proprietary hardware if they don't have to.
>>
>>61304318
linux and gnu decimated it
free software running on affordable and ubiquitous intel-compatible hardware

how could the big dogs compete? Solaris and IRIX died awful deaths. I'm amazed AIX is still alive.

OS X implemented prettiness and useability for previous macOSes and did OK for its niche.

tl;dr
everybody wants freebies. everyone wants something for nothing
>>
>>61304318
What the fuck are you all faggots talking about.
Nothing went wrong.
>>
Too many cooks in the kitchen.
>>
>>61304318
It's always legal's fault.

>>61307513
Still waiting for that multitasking OS written entirely in Golang.
>>
>>61304318
X11
>>
>>61307385
>Windows NT was a hackjob of a hackjob and 3 others and it wasn't sensible at all.
Windows NT is actually an incredibly nice design under the covers. Early versions of Windows NT were rock solid when it was mainly used for workstations and servers.

The problem is that Microsoft prioritized easy upgrading and backwards compatibility over clean API design, so most of the early user-facing stuff like the Win32 API is chock full of ridiculous crap, and when the nicer stuff like .NET came around very few people wanted to rewrite all their software for very little gain.
>>
>>61304318
Linus
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.