[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 47

File: asda-self-service-checkout.jpg (184KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
asda-self-service-checkout.jpg
184KB, 1024x768px
UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA
>>
File: billgates.jpg (117KB, 660x446px) Image search: [Google]
billgates.jpg
117KB, 660x446px
If you are in UK , hack them they all run old windows lol
>>
Please scan your firs-
BOOP
>>
>e-excuse me... its keeps saying this...
>>
I support human cashiers
>>
>>61303232
Yuropoor here, literally never had that happen.
Are Amerilards actually retarded ? It seems like a you issue.
>>
>>61303232
Tesco's machines are way better desu.

dont have to click to start and when you put your card in it'll automatically ask for for your pin and process the order.

Only awkward thing is having to wait for 10 seconds after using contactless to make sure it went through or accidentally putting a bag charge though and having to cancel the whole thing and start again
>>
File: walmart-pickup1-4_0.jpg (47KB, 770x400px) Image search: [Google]
walmart-pickup1-4_0.jpg
47KB, 770x400px
>>61303232
>tfw save time and don't deal with that bullshit anymore
>>
>>61303232
why happens if you just walk by with you items without checking in for them?
>>
>>61303445
The unscanned items will be triggered by the scanners at the door
>>
>>61303480
No they won't.
>>
>>61303480
but you will have bagged them. They don't put RFID trackers on grocery items do they?
>>
>>61303320
>>61303241
pretty much all bus companies, supermarkets or traveling agencies all use old windows XP on their computers in Yurorich
>>
>>61303480
>will be triggered by the scanners at the door

How? What do the scanners detect that the checkouts remove? Think with your head.

Once I went outside of a store with "scanners," and when I came back in 5 minutes the scanner activated as if I had something stolen.
>>
>>61303568
>>61303480
just lift the bags above the scanners...
>>
>>61303445
The employee that hangs around the area to make sure everyone checks their items out and pays properly calls up security to stop you at the door.
>>
>embedded xp is still supported
>we're going to say it's not b/c headlines lol
>>
>>61303232
Recently found a killer trick that pretty much works on them all, and I'm talking many different models. They generally zero the scales when they start, and some can be started by scanning an item. There are at least five different models in Europe that do this, and they're all exploitable.

So here's the trick to get two anything for the price of one with very low chance of getting caught, completely unconspicuous actions, and complete plausible deniability:
>"touch/scan to start"
>just scan first item
>machine starts to "unlock"
>goes into process of zeroing the scales
>it's so fucking slow it takes maybe half a second
>quickly put down first item
>scale gets zeroed with first item on it
>now fully started
>"please put down item"
>now expecting first item that's already there
>grab second identical item, and scan it so you don't look suspect
>put it down
>it registers as the first one
>there are two items on the scale and it only registered one

>>61303480
Only stores with hi-tech security will make them ring, food, cleaning supplies and stationary never ring. The most advanced ones have RFID tags with unique identifiers on their items, and everytime one gets scanned, the bar code contains not only the item's id for checkout, but also the unique id of the RFID tag that gets disabled.

You can easily test that security by buying two identical items, but scanning the same item twice, because "wow it's the same man, what difference does it make?". You'll either get an "item already scanned" message, or the other one will ring when you leave. Sometimes, the receipt will show the unique id of each item, and show the same one scanned twice in the listing, and security is generally taught to look for that just in case.
>>
>>61303320
Amerilards actually are retarded. I go to CVS (a pharmacy/convenience store) regularly and the scanning machines work fine if you're not a complete moron, but I see people fucking up every day.

The only thing that works poorly is our chip readers.
>>
>>61303337
>not just eating the 5p for the sake of convenience
Maybe that was their plan all along... ???
>>
>>61303480
Dude. My last job was at a grocery store. Night shift, so the store was closed. There'd be like 4 of us a night, and this one kid used to steal tons of shit. He'd even go into the bathrooms and hide shit in the celing tiles, which was pretty smart, IMO. But there is no way for an "alarm" to go off on food items. DESU, they don't really give a fuck if food gets stolen compared to like, I don't know, something that would last for years.

Even then, next time you go to walmart, look at the alarms on game systems. They're cords wrapped around the box, with a circular thing in the middle. You can slide that fucking thing right off.
>>
File: 1474394559287.png (12KB, 246x200px) Image search: [Google]
1474394559287.png
12KB, 246x200px
>there is no fast lane for 5 items and below
>there are only human cashiers
>there are new cashier employees
JUST
>>
>>61303626
>DESU

what the actual fuck, I didn't type that.
>>
>>61303605
>Those long-ass CVS receipts that dwarf the size of the Dead Sea scrolls
Wasteful, but gud pharmacy tho
>>
>>61303644
stfu weeb
>>
>>61303644
how nu are u desu senpai baka
>>
>>61303644
baka desu senpai
>>
>>61303634
> You actually can't.

Actually, you actually can. I've done it before. PSPs. I had over 10 of them, hitting every walmart in my area. Got caught though, but because of cameras. Not all of them, but a lot of them aren't on good. This was like 6 years ago, though. Maybe they stepped up their game.
>>
>>61303648
Yeah I don't understand why they insist on giving giant receipts.

Paper receipts for credit card purchases at all are bizarre. Ideally, receipts would just be sent to my bank or emailed to me or something so I don't have to immediately find a trash can to throw them out.
>>
>>61303671
One more decade and that paperless dream will be the norm
>>
>>61303644
>>>/out/
>>
>>61303644
google.is/?q=desu+sempai+baka

Back to first result on Google.
>>
>>61303690
Hopefully, but I wouldn't count on it.
>>
>>61303694
Why would you even post that?
>>
Asia:
>get items
>pay with wechat
>leave

America:
>get items
>machine doesn't recognize one item
>employee has to come over and manually enter price
>insert credit card
>chip reader doesn't work
>swipe credit card
>machine tells you to use the chip reader
>eventually give up and start again on another machine
>>
>>61303737
>it actually takes longer to process card than exchange money by hand
People should be held accountable for this
>>
>>61303694
Wow. Thanks, Anon. That shit had me geek'd.

>>61303711
WHy would you just shut the fuck up?
>>
>>61303232
>ASDA
>owned by Walmart
Hey, I need you to turn off the camera now. Why are you recording and taking people's pictures?
>>
>>61303750
I obviously didn't, what kind of question is that?
>>
>>61303609
Pretty much, i remember when some stupid fucking jobsworth pulled me up because i done the opposite and put one bag through and then while i was paying decided to just to double bag as the bag looks like it might have ripped.

Tried to shame in front of a busy queue me by accusing me of "stealing items" and trying to march me down to the front desk.

Yes I'm still mad.
>>
Yeah fuck those. The anti theft security features are way to sensitive and just fuck with normal use.

I worked in a gas station for a few years, I know how to use a scanner and put stuff in bags. But each time I try and use a self check out it flips out and locks the station for some reason.

Just give me a scanner a payment interface and some bags.

The slight of hand needed to steal is nothing your machine will catch so just let me work on the honor system.
>>
>>61303232
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXNs9N4vj6Y
>>
>>61303852
Why not sue for slander?
>>
>>61303232
If I'm buying more than 4 things I go to the cashier to piss them off. Usually I have a cart full of shit to make the cashiers miserable
>>
File: scanit-kiosk.jpg (203KB, 1024x577px) Image search: [Google]
scanit-kiosk.jpg
203KB, 1024x577px
This is why one of my local grocery stores is my favorite.

You go to a kiosk at the entrance and scan your grocery discount card. A light flashes and you take a barcode scanner (pic). The carts have holders for them. You scan everything as you go. Aisles on weighed/counted it (veggies/fruits/etc.) have scales with big screens, you put them on, tap the item, and a label prints with a unique barcode for the bag.
>>
>>61303320
My problem is when I have super light items and it keeps telling me to place item in the bagging area when I already did.
I may also move it to the bag too quickly after scanning which caused it.

Has not happened in years though. Mostly because heaps of the supermarkets here disabled the bagging area scale because it is annoying and they save enough money by replacing cashiers that they can handle the loss of theft.
>>
File: express-checkout.jpg (2MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
express-checkout.jpg
2MB, 3648x2736px
>>61303935 here
Then when you get to the end you scan a barcode above a dedicated register and everything rings up at once. They have a lane dedicated for people who do this that doesn't accept cash or checks, only credit and debit, which is always empty (or one person ahead of you that takes 10-15 seconds to scan and pay).

Shit is cash.
>>
>>61303627
>Not having NFC in your debit card

Fucking shit country lmao
>>
>>61304052
We actually had the start of NFC rollout in 2004, but the US banks cheaped out and used chips that broadcast a consistent card number and shared secret (e.g. they were cloneable if you got near one once).

Media had a field day and people distrusted it, banks removed all of it because people freaked out when their card had contactless and asked when it's removed.

Now with Apple Pay, Android Pay, Samsung pay, etc. banks don't really see the need or cost effectiveness to put the NFC chips back in the cards.
>>
>>61303957
>>61303935
Sounds cool, I miss self check out. I had to move to NYC for a job and none of the stores have it I guess because they know all the nogs would steal shit non-stop.
>>
>>61303582
They don't do that here
>>
IF YOU HAVE A MORRSIONS MORE CARD PLEASE SCAN IT NOW
>>
>>61303243

You don't need to press start. You can just start scanning.
>>
File: BUinS5VCAAAmHmh.png:large.png (254KB, 472x346px) Image search: [Google]
BUinS5VCAAAmHmh.png:large.png
254KB, 472x346px
>Do you have an Air Miles card?
>No
>Do you have an Air Miles card now?
>>
>>61304174
>They don't do that here
suburban well-to-do area = they don't do it
urban area or poorer = they have someone there to watch

also at bigger stores they'll have someone there to void items, check ID for age restricted purchases, etc.
>>
>>61303263
This
>>
>>61304188
>unironically shopping at Morrisons
>>
>>61303320
yuropoor here also

ameritards are tarded, but it aint their fault. having used one at kroger and walmart, if you so much as scan the item outside the window of time it expects you to, it will signal the operators and totally lock up. those machines are fucked up over there.
>>
>>61303232
>He goes inside stores and checks things out himself

Lol do you work there pleb
>>
File: 1418235.jpg (223KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1418235.jpg
223KB, 1024x576px
>>61303232
in my country and in my local store the machine like this which is made by fujitsu actually works reasonably well, haven't had issues actually
>>
>put small very light item in bag after scanning
>...
>"PLEASE WAIT FOR ASSISTANCE"

Do Shartmartians even have self-checkouts yet? Or does doing 2 things still confuse them?
>>
I think the worst is being stuck behind grandma who needs the cashier to do the entire transaction for her and taking 10+ minutes. I don't understan why they don't use the regular checkout line if they hate those gosh-darn computins.
>>
Tfw South American and I rarely see those.
>>
>>61304554

That's because you barely have food to even put in ANY grocery store, never mind one with fucking current tech. Idiot.
>>
>>61303445
if you get a big ticket item like a pair of $50 headphones the alarm will go off as you leave, but for most stuff you can just put it in the bag and walk out the door.
>>
File: Windows10-BSOD.jpg (42KB, 933x515px) Image search: [Google]
Windows10-BSOD.jpg
42KB, 933x515px
YOUR PC RAN INTO A PROBLEM AND NEEDS TO RESTART.
>>
File: 1300044776986.jpg (17KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1300044776986.jpg
17KB, 250x250px
>>61303627
>>apple pay
>>
>>61304569
Rude, not true.
>>
>>61303232
I was always confused by the iconography on those machines.

Why the fuck is their a windshield wiper fluid low LED on the scanner?
>>
>>61304626
Are you fucking retarded ? It's because it's out of windshield wiper fluid.
>>
The Stop and Shop near me hands out barcode scanners so you can just scan as you put things in your basket and then just walk out.

I really want to do it but no one else does and I don't want to look like an autistic fuck doing it alone.
>>
>>61303909
exactly, I am paying to have someone wait on me, scan and bag that shit up because I'm not doing it
>>
>>61304663
Waitrose has Quick Check.

Every item has a barcode on the shelf label, you just scan that and throw the item in your trolley. Roll up to the checkout, scan the machine with the barcode scanner you've been carrying around and it throws your entire cart up on it. Pay and done.
>>
>>61304663
That makes you an autistic fuck, anon.
>>
>>61304597
>something happened
something happened
>>
File: 1491796616086.jpg (39KB, 600x592px) Image search: [Google]
1491796616086.jpg
39KB, 600x592px
>mfw my local store removed self checkout machines
>>
>>61303909

I'd rather not deal with the kids who seem to crush the bread on purpose, bruise the fruit, and generally fuck up my food for the lulz.
>>
>have two tasty bakery goods in one bag to save the environment
>Run one through
>Please place item in bagging area
>Run second one through
>Already in bagging area
>PLEASE PLACE ITEM IN BAGGING AREA
>Have to wait for cashier to come and log on to help me out of my pickle
>>
>>61303737
i've used wechat before, honestly it's fucking great. if we can adopt something like this here in the west then i would save tons of time and social interactions with people i don't want to converse with
>>
>>61303263
No

It's a waste of human resources. That human could be composing music, painting artwork, or adding new features to your favorite open-source software.

It is a waste of human life for them to be cashiers...
>>
>>61304663
>worried about appearing autistic for scanning your own items
that's the true autism
>>
File: 1498583393225.png (709KB, 860x851px) Image search: [Google]
1498583393225.png
709KB, 860x851px
>please wait, help is on the way
>>
File: MoEJlzmPhu0.jpg (128KB, 555x604px) Image search: [Google]
MoEJlzmPhu0.jpg
128KB, 555x604px
>>61304994
My man.
>>
>>61304994
gotta get that money somehow
>>
>>61304663
Jesus christ anxiety is strong in this one.
You need to face your fears mate.

I suggest you start by screaming "DICK shit PISS is coming from my ASS" while you walk thorugh the city blackout drunk an realise the next day that nothing you did had consequences.

Rinse and repeat
>>
>>61304088
NFC cards are dope for day to day purchases. My bank caps it at $100 per day and insures that amount in case of fraud. Sometimes I don't even take my card out of my wallet.
>>
File: 1460812355233.png (116KB, 402x398px) Image search: [Google]
1460812355233.png
116KB, 402x398px
>>61304994
>any cashier
>ever being capable of doing any of those things
>>
>>61304994
But most humans are too useless to do that
>>
>>61305258
>>61305259
you can learn to do anything.

you aren't born with the talent to do creative things.
>>
>>61305223
They're big in Canada, although the reliability of using US cards with the NFC chip or Apple/Samsung/Android pay is really not that great on international transactions.

In the US, many registers still don't support the chip or upgraded NFC still...retailers are slow to change.
>>
File: e2e.jpg (72KB, 680x671px) Image search: [Google]
e2e.jpg
72KB, 680x671px
>>61305271
>you aren't born with the talent to do creative things.

then how do you explain this?
pic related
>>
>>61303579
Of course they'll not check CCTV.
>>
>>61303232
Am I the only one to prefer self-checkout systems because I can use up all of the change in my pocket and have it automatically counted?
>>
>>61305308
implying you didn't ever do cringy shit when you were a kid.
>>
>>61303644
This is the best newfag detector you could ever ask for :^)
>>
>>61303708
Yeah, never gonna fucking happen. Old people (30+) literally cannot even fathom the idea that an email receipt can have a barcode and he used the same as paperless. I worked retail through college and every body wanted paper.
>>
>Scan your clubcard to earn clubcard points!!!
>Have you swiped your nectar card???

At the busier stores the robots they have monitoring these areas will swipe their authentication barcode thing and walk away without even looking at the screen, you ,or your bags.
>>
>>61303935
>>61303957
Swedefag here. We have this too.
The only difference is that you don't have to scan a barcode at the end, you just pop it back into a slot same as the entry ones and it registers your purchase, then you can either choose to go to one of the many credit/debit stations with a touchscreen where you can also scan your own coupons, or you can go to a cashier if you want to pay in cash and have some human interaction.

If you should forget your card you can even use your phone to scan the barcodes and register it that way, assuming you have the store app installed and your card attached.
>>
>tfw I work at circus circus in Las Vegas
>our retail stores dont have scanners
>often have shequila and her kids fuck around the store , place 14 items on the counter but only end up buying 5 items and rarely after transaction one of the kids will walk back inside with a pissed off mother asking me if I charged her for X or telling me her child dindu nuthin and puts the item back
>I hate my job
Fall classes can't come soon enough
>>
File: 1482937723407.jpg (27KB, 612x380px) Image search: [Google]
1482937723407.jpg
27KB, 612x380px
I was an insider at a place that unfortunately Did It For Free™ with a top B&M place in an electronics section. Most depressing, degrading year of shit that my brain will probably be trying to etch out for years more, it's led me on the path to depression. I never considered myself to be the type to be prone to be seriously thinking about ending it in the past, but here I am now (and the people that forced me down this path are trying to get me to do more crap at a government monopoly which I despise with a passion, all the people that get told this future shit against my will talk about the "benefits" which quite honestly are fucking ridiculous since this monopoly is effectively on the verge of bankruptcy, that and I'd rather be dead than have a golden parachute which is funded by people that literally have no other choice for what this monopoly does, needless to say I'll probably wind up being listed as missing when I probably snap as I've tried so hard not to). Gonna tripfag for these since I'm already blowing over character limits, feel free to ask questions.
>>
>>61303263
>>61304289
Are you retarded or something.
You are using a cash register.
Aren't you human?
You are just a lazy fuck.
>>
>>61305535
I meant door scanners
>>
Starting from >>61305543.

>>61303445
Depends on if the thing has what's called an EAS tag (I just call them anti-theft strips for simplicity's sake) or not & whether you get noticed or not. If it does have a strip & you don't scan it, you're getting alarmed at the door. If it doesn't, it comes down to if whoever happens to be manning the area spots you. There's usually only two people tops, and the cashiers in the other lanes are likely busy dealing with people in their lane (and they probably won't have the best view of the self checkout area anyway even if right next to it) so they won't give a shit about what's going on in the SC area. If you manage to time it when one of the machines yells at someone else & requires help, chances are you won't get spotted but you'll have to keep an eye out as any such opportunities are likely gonna be brief. If you know what you're doing, you would be sure to have a friend that acts like they're retarded & constantly messes up to keep the supervisor busy. Hell, they can even at some point rage and say "screw this shit, I'm taking my money elsewhere you guys are useless" and not buy anything at all, just to waste their time while you make off with stuff. Probably best to do it only once or twice at a location else it'll be a red flag if they go there, do self checkout, and not buy anything every time. That, & it wouldn't stop a grouchy supervisor from directing you to a regular checkout lane instead if they so choose if your cover is acting a bit too retarded. Grouchy supervisors may be a blessing in disguise though, if that friend did it repeatedly and rage quit & there was a grouchy supervisor, then it could fly under the radar seeing as they'll probably not think much of it, their mind will be preoccupied by "damn what a prick that guy/girl was, hey Jesse did you see this shit?", instead of thinking "wait, what's with this guy, is he a decoy for someone else why else would they be leaving without buying anything?".
Continued.
>>
>Use machine in posh area shop
You can do pretty much anything and it works fine
>Use machine in poverty zone shop
UNEXPECTED ITEM IN THE BAGGING AREA constantly

Do they calibrate them differently depending on the expected level of "oops i totally forgot to scan my item" ethnics and poors?
>>
Continuing from >>61305596.

>>61303445
(continued)
Greeters (and/or an outsourced security person during summer months) likely won't stop you once the deed has been done as long as you aren't super obvious about it. Some of the local stores where I am have taken to checking everyone no matter what (apparently according to HQ isn't standard policy, according to some random Google Maps review from not long ago, definitely a local thing), usually it was only if the alarm went off that they'd stop you and check. Even so their checks are cursory, if you have many items they're obviously not going to go through every last one, and they'll say "okay have a nice day/night" if most of your bags check out since not only would it be effort, but then you hold up people waiting behind.
>>61303480
>>61303498
>>61303541
It depends. Bottom anon is right, groceries are generally left unprotected. Usually, everything in electronics (exceptions being anything under lock and key, spider wrapped items since strips are redundant, TVs, DVDs, and bargain bin games) & cosmetics will have strips on them, or smaller strips/dots for cosmetics. High end toys will have them. Certain things in self care and pharmacy may. Some auto stuff might, but they also use spider wrap (and sometimes will just call electronics to get rid of one since it's usually quicker than calling for a supervisor from the front due to proximity). Otherwise, everything else will usually be left unprotected.
Obviously, exceptions apply, YMMV since some stores will modify things based on whatever gets jacked more frequently, but this is generally true at most places. For example popcorn next to featured movies may have strips on them just because they're in electronics, but if you grab some from groceries they won't (unless electronics recently rotated the food and placed stuff back there, sometimes it's popcorn, other times it's candy).
The strips are meant to be on the same side as the barcode, look for a strip around it.
>>
>>61303263
Agree, hell i'll even pay more to go to a store with friendly staff
For instance I go to a store next to work almost everyday, and I very much prefer that store since the staff is friendly and sociable
>>
File: 1482913141414.png (31KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
1482913141414.png
31KB, 128x128px
Previous: >>61305625

>>61303568
>What do the scanners detect that the checkouts remove? Think with your head.
Magnetism. Practically everything is magnetic in retail. Even the wired alarms wrapped around high value stuff comes off with a magnet if you put it in the right spot. Locking pegs too, or as I've seen lately even a stopper with "see sales associate" on it. ALL of it, magnetic.
The scanners at the checkouts have a special part dedicated to demagnetizing the strips right next to the barcode scanner. If you hear a second beep in a different tone after your item gets rung up, that's the demagnetizer in action. As far as I know it can remagnetizate too if someone changes their mind on something. The strips and demagnetizer are from Sensormatic (which dominates the industry), while the locking pegs, stoppers, and "spider" wrap are from Alpha. For the Alpha stuff, one tool with a magnet on it does it all.
A retailer's worst fear isn't someone with a gun, a knife, a bat, or fists. It's someone armed with a magnet.
As for when you come in, you've got something on you with a strip that the outgoing scanner probably missed or someone decided to play a prank on you and remagnetized a strip and stuck it to your pants without you noticing (there's a Kipkay video about it). Or there's one stuck to the bottom of your shoe. Whatever the case is inbound alarms are usually ignored if you're actually going inbound, the only thing that happens is your brief startling, then you carry on as normal.
>>61303582
>>61304174
>>61304253
See >>61305596 and >>61305625.
>>
File: 1483230070785.jpg (32KB, 408x632px) Image search: [Google]
1483230070785.jpg
32KB, 408x632px
>>61305660, last response to other posts already made.

>>61303626
You're also right about groceries not having protection of any sort as mentioned in >>61305625.
>They're cords wrapped around the box, with a circular thing in the middle. You can slide that fucking thing right off.
Not always. If whoever wrapped it did a poor job, you could. Otherwise expect it to be on there pretty good. So much so that it actually eats in to the boxes a bit from the wires.
>>61303634
>>61303667
Again, depends on the fit. Cutting the wires is the stupidest thing you can do, it's definitely going to go off. Not ear piercingly loud, but annoying and easily distinguishable. With some care you could potentially slide it, but it's designed in such a way that if you're not lazy with it, it'll be obvious and you risk a snap, in which case alarm goes off, and you're fucked.
Remember how I said a retailer's worst fear is someone with a magnet? This is why.
>>61303579
>>61305317
They won't unless whoever is working AP/LP sees something suspicious beforehand. If dodging the alarm by raising your stuff above it is the only giveaway, it might be overlooked.
>>
>>61303232
I had never seen one until I went to the Walmart in the town where my college was. I was so mad internally. Fuck Walmart. Not only is Walmart replacing humans with machines, they are replacing humans with incompetently made machines.

>>61303263
This.

I'm not a luddite, I just hate unnecessary mechanization.
>>
>get money vouchers from poorfag friend in exchange for fried meat product popular with niggers
>decide to spend at popular supermarket
>nearly exclusively self checkout, minimal staff interaction
>pay with vouchers
>machine freaks out and i scan the same voucher twice no problem without realising until after
>hm
>go back with more vouchers a couple days later
>get drink, pay with scanned voucher but then put the worthless cover of the voucher book in the voucher thingy
>works fine, voucher thingy doesnt verify in any way, all manual
>tell friend
>he comes back next day and says you dont even have to put shit in, you can just lower halfway into the voucher slot thingy and pull it out when it registers
>start paying with vouchers but scanning them multiple times and using scraps of paper to fool the sensor so I get about £2.50 of a £0.50 voucher, got £10+ out of a £2 one
>every time i get vouchers i spend them like this
>go in with two friends to buy drinks totalling £3.50ish
>find out you cant use more than £2.50 in vouchers at a time for whatever reason
>we panic, friend cancels it and it alerts the attendant
>attendant waddles over and opens the voucher door
>every voucher on the floor
>walk the dinosaur
just kidding
>theres obviously none of the vouchers that we scanned inside the compartment
>no worthless shit either, no scraps of paper, no receipts etc
>attendant is confused as hell, looks at me, looks at my friends
>we all look stoned as fuck so she just walks off
>friends use vouchers for their drinks, I just dont bother and leave with drink without paying
>friends laugh, now i am the okayest guy
>keep using vouchers for 3 times their face value only putting strips of paper in the receptacle and then going to burger king to spend the vouchers properly
>stop for a bit, dont have many vouchers and nothing i want from popular supermarket
>go back 2-3 weeks later
>try use lunch voucher
>this voucher is no longer accepted
>shoplift like the dirty nigger i am
>>
>>61305609
kind of, yes
all the machines start out about the same depending on manufacturer
the individual stores change the settings to minimise staff interaction and frustration
so if you get a lot of people in that are setting alarms off every ten seconds while trying to actually pay for all their shit the store usually turns down the security setting
if you get a horde of niggers always trying to nog shit by "accident" (they dont actually do this much, maybe young mothers but thats it) then you'd leave the settings turned way up, as you're likely to lose a lot more money
>>
literally never happened to me. thought it would break 9/10 due to you morons complaining about it all the time but it has never break on me

the only time i have issue as the machine didn't know about a buy 1 get 1 free promo and i had to get the standing dude to manually override it. would have missed it too if i werent paying attention to it
>>
>>61305609
I can't speak for the machines, but I know Walmart is a lot different in ghetto areas versus non-ghetto areas.

Funny thing, there are two walmarts within a 5 mile radius of where I live and one is in the middle of posh 300K+ house value suburbia and the other Walmart is in the middle of low-income apartment land

When you go to exit the non-ghetto Walmart, they just say "have a nice day!" and let you walk out. However, at the ghetto Walmart they stop you and check to see you aren't stealing anything anything, marking your receipt before you can go.
>>
>>61305868
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTIVt4WruQg
>>
>>61303232
I love these because it's so easy to steal from them.
>>
>>61303644
Hello newfag
>>
>>61303944
>that they can handle the loss of theft.
I REALLY fail to see how these things even helped with that. It's not like there's no other fucking place to put a stolen item.
>>
>>61305692
>never seen one until walmart put them in
what flyover state do you live in?

>Fuck Walmart. Not only is Walmart replacing humans with machines, they are replacing humans with incompetently made machines
everybody is doing this. mcdonalds is rolling out mobile phone ordering nationwide by the end of next year and putting up more kiosks. cash toll collectors are being replaced with bill by license plate (read if the vehicle doesn't have an electronic toll tag). amazon uses robots that bring the items to the person for picking rather than having them go through the warehouse to pick items. it's the future anon.
>>
>>61305868
I have sames.

Used to only be one Walmart around, so it's full of niggers and all. Last year a new one opened much closer to the nigville so now theirs rarely any in the old Walmart. Guess when the old Walmart started checking receipts/bags?
>>
If you have a child, have them constantly sit on the scales. Eventually they come turn them off
>>
>>61303241
ASDA is part of Walmart. Here in the states the self check out pos run on Windows XP POS. The normal POS uses linux that uses quite a bit of java. I use to reboot my pos in my department so I don't have to check people out because it takes some time for them to boot up. Our thin clients run a older windows server os from the time of XP from a vm. The new handhelds run android while the older ones uses windows ce. The few desktops we do have run Windows 7 Pro. I just want to rage on my walkie talkie when the csm calls the android handheld a palm pilot. Most of our shit comes from NCR or Zebra.

Had a cashier fight with me about it because i told her it wasn't a palm pilot but she said it is because its not a cell phone.

The IT infrastructure for walmart sucks. Their intranet is slapped together with all different frameworks and the design for the pages are all different. Fuck on of the devs got lazy and used bootstrap as is for a small web app. The in store network sucks. Sometime shit doesn't work and you have to reboot or close IE or chrome just to reopen it. For my job (manager level) at Walmart I have to log in 3 FUCKIN TIMES just to print out some paper. Some of the coworkers are retarded and do stupid shit like log you out while you walk to the printer to get the shit you print out so they can clock in because the dont have a name badge or too fuckin lazy.

All the network equipment that isn't hanging from the ceiling are in unsecured rooms in a few different points in the stores. The room with most of the phone wiring, electric panels, and some other equipment is unsecured. Our server room is unsecured. It's like they don't have standards for anything besides for low level workers, how some of the store is ran, departments, and other smaller shit.
>>
>>61305982
give it back jamal
>>
>>61303376
tfw shit comes in busted
>>
>not transcribing ticket receipts on Amazon Mechanical Turk
>>
>>61306107
If you ever have an issue they'll credit you for it
I've been using it weekly for six months without a single problem.
>>
>>61303232
Don't lean on the scale sir
>>
>>61303737
>>chip reader doesn't work
i've never been in a situation where the chip reader doesn't work desu
>>
File: aaay.gif (903KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
aaay.gif
903KB, 300x200px
>>61305271
>you aren't born with the talent to do creative things

good one, man!
>>
>>61306512
If you spent all of your free time painting and watching old Bob Ross painting videos to learn from, I think you could become a good painter.
>>
>>61305722
i enjoyed
>>
File: WeißeZell.png (1MB, 2250x1688px) Image search: [Google]
WeißeZell.png
1MB, 2250x1688px
>>61306512
But stop harming yourself by believing you cant learn something.
Thats just idiotic
>>
File: C661Y3uVAAE-N4z.jpg (38KB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
C661Y3uVAAE-N4z.jpg
38KB, 768x432px
>>61303263
>go to human cashier
>do you have our card anon?
>say 'no'
>wanna create one anon?
>say 'no thank you'
>scans my groceries
>it's gonna be this and this anon
>pay
>ppl waiting as I pack my shit
>before finished packing starts scanning other person groceries

Fuck this racing competition. I prefer scan shit on my own pace.
>>
>>61305644
>customers want retail/fast food staff to be friendly, polite, and sociable
>customers are frequently and repeatedly assholes to the workers, regardless of whether they realize it.
>>
>>61306936
>Not having them pick your groceries and load them into your car for free
>>
Walmart POS stuff is all literally Pajeet shit. There was a news article on the WIRE stating how Walmart had outsourced it's apps and such to India. The WalmartOne app on Android is such a buggy, slow piece of shit.
Strangely enough, there is a github for opensource stuff for Walmart.
https://github.com/walmartlabs
Yes, I'm an Associate. Kill me now, pls.
>>
>>61307021
Whatever you may think TESCO is really good place to pickup girls... so I'm gonna do it by myself.
>>
>>61307133
That's a reasonable excuse Anon. Ah to be a young unattached man.
Why not use a dating app though instead of relying on chance?
>>
>>61306095
>ASDA is part of Walmart
What other Walmart affiliates are there?
I know in Japan they bought out Seiyu and started Livin. Way to name a store with a sound not even found in Japanese phonetics.
>>
File: IMG_20170702_195933.jpg (294KB, 1350x1800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170702_195933.jpg
294KB, 1350x1800px
The self checkout at my Walmart has open circuit CCTV above every checkout, two 24'' flat panels above with open circuit and a 7' tall security guard patrolling the area AND a receipt checking lady at the door

I've tried walking past her a few times and they raise hell; it's litteraly the *blocks your path meme in real life
>>
>>61303263
This.
>>
File: oh_say_can_you_see.jpg (858KB, 1748x1816px) Image search: [Google]
oh_say_can_you_see.jpg
858KB, 1748x1816px
>be american
>work all day for minimum wage
>too tired to do anything other than shuffle into wal mart with all the other plebs and by my frozen tv dinner
>get tv dinner
>don't read nutritional info because i don't know what it means anyway
>go to checkout
>wal mart fired all their checkout employees and replaced them with machines
>wait in line to scan my own groceries and bag them myself because i am a very good goy who keeps working after work to save wal mart money
>get to machine
>machine starts freaking out, won't scan anything
>everyone in the line starts shouting at me and calling me a faggot because i'm too long and they are on-edge from also having worked alll day for minimum wage
>shaneequa comes over
>AY YO DUMBASS WHITEBOI DA FUK U DONE DID?
>i'm... i'm sorry... it's not working
>FUCKIN DUMBASS CRACKA....
>she scans her card and the machine starts working
>go home and eat my tv dinner while watching breitbart to tell me how everything in america is great and to never ever ever go to europe because it's scary and dangerous
>so glad to live in the best country in the world
>god bless the usa
>>
>>61307145
>Why not use a dating app
Why do you need dating app?
>>
>>61307202
Walmart has no issue with beefing up security. When inventory is done in around April-May, they have a line that home office sets for shrink. If a store goes over, it gets put under the microscope for a few months and more security gets put in if they think it's due to theft.
One thing I've learned, xbox players steal a hell of a lot more than playstation. No real surprise there.
>>
>>61307145
Dating apps only work for people who don't need a dating app
>>
File: 20161202_022955.jpg (247KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
20161202_022955.jpg
247KB, 1280x720px
Just another weekend night at walmart
>>
>all this people on /g/ working at walmart
>>
>>61303644
JUST FUCKING GB2REDDIT
>>
>>61307243
I don't, I'm married. Seems more efficient than going to meet somebody at the grocery store though
>>
>>61307274
This in nutshell
>>
>>61307274
They make it a lot easier to cast a wider net and find someone outside of my normal social circles so I can date without causing any drama.
>>
>>61303591

WOOOOOOO
2 CUCUMBERS TO SHOVE UP MY ASS FOR THE PRICE OF JUST 1
>>
>>61304919
>local CVS
>suddenly 3 new self checkout machines replacing half the checkout counter
>locals dont like that shit, instead form massive lines behind the 2 cashiers still at the counter because "we want to support human cashiers"
.CVS fixes that by leaving the counter but making sure there's never a store clerk actually assigned to them so you are forced to use the machines unless you get lucky and catch an employee behind the counter doing something
>>
File: dairy.jpg (18KB, 259x195px) Image search: [Google]
dairy.jpg
18KB, 259x195px
>>61307441
>tfw fuck bitches, acquire dairy when at grocery store
>>
>>61308204
It's what the closes ALDI does here. They have about 10 checkout machines, and 3 regular counters .. almost never manned.
>>
There was an old trick with these that I think got patched sometime around 2014 but its probably worth a shot now.
Put your items through as normal, hit pay with cash, put 1p in and then take your items. There was a bug that caused the receipt/next customer screen to play.
You can still half do this but its more like real theft, do the same thing as before but just walk out of the store whilst the pay by cash screen is up with 1p put in, the weight detection is turned off at this point so the only person thats going to know what you've done is the next customer. At which point they'll flag an employee down and explain, which gives you about 1-2minutes to leave.
>>
>>61304605
Imagine being that guy and being that assblasted that someone lives somewhere else.
>>
>>61303232
I went to a few supermarket in the uk... and they weight veggies at the counter. THEY WEIGHT VEGGIES AT THE COUNTER. You check out and the cashier weight the shit.

WHY? Do they fear people to cheat on the weight\type of veggies were they to weight for their own?
>>
>>61303480
>always scan single item of multiple times rather than pick up and put down multiples of the same item
>no alarm
>have been doing this without payig attention for years
how fugged am I?
>>
>>61308663
>Do they fear people to cheat on the weight\type of veggies were they to weight for their own?

Yup. Also, lots of people forget to weigh their shit, and it solves that problem as well.
>>
>>61303232
Lmao I had to buy hemmoroid ointment today... glad this piece of shit actually worked and let me leave without human interaction
>>
>>61303320
>Are Amerilards actually retarded ?
Amerilard here. I think you may be on to something. I've observed that about 70% of the stores that have this check out systems, also have a designated idiot who stands at a station to correct the inevitable issues that arise there. I've been in stores where every customer has needed assistance with checking out because of an item not being detected in the bagging area. It kind of defeats the fucking point of the whole thing,now doesn't it?
>>
>>61303445
Depends on the store, but usually they just flag you through because the whole system is an unreliable piece of shit, and they probably get a thousand false alarms a day. Home Depot is especially good for this.
>>
>>61306402
there was a time period where they had them physically installed but not activated yet when they were implementing

I haven't had a situation where I've had no problems with the chip reader. It eventually succeeds, but after a minimum of at least two attempts.
>>
File: 565423425.jpg (82KB, 542x596px) Image search: [Google]
565423425.jpg
82KB, 542x596px
>>61308051
>cast a wider net and find someone outside of my normal social circles so I can date without causing any drama
hmmmm
>wider net
>outside of my social circles
>without causing any drama

You sound like predator anon.
>>
>>61303232
>NCR
I am manufacturing a lot of parts for NCR, a couple of them goes into those self-service machines.
>you faggots ruin my mood
>my employees morale therefore drops
>we manufacture more bad parts
>NCR only measures every 50 of them from the series
>couple of bad parts get built into those machines
>you get mad because it is now more prone to errors
>you have to ask the human staff to help you
You are literally causing this for yourselves.

NCR is a fucking pain in the ass partner to work with though.
>>
>>61303694
https://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/3rboeu/why_are_people_on_4chan_calling_each_other_senpai/
>>
>>61309112
desu - desu
baka - baka
senpai - senpai
cuck - kek
>>
>>61305271
People can doesn't mean that people will. Laziness is a thing.
>>
>>61309158
desu baka senpai
>>
Maybe its where i live, but Asda seems to attract all the scrubs.

I mostly prefer Sainsburys, or M&S Food.
>>
>>61303591
I feel this should technically work with multiple items if you're fast enough. You can zero the scale to more than two cucumber dildos
>>
>>61304994
Or they could be doing any other job that can't be replaced by a machine just yet, it doesn't need to be something creative.
>>
>>61309099
Would you prefer to work with Ceaser's Legion instead?
>>
>>61303320
yuropoor here too fuckin dumb murricans lmfffao
>>
File: johnnys onion rings.jpg (76KB, 518x600px) Image search: [Google]
johnnys onion rings.jpg
76KB, 518x600px
>going to see Spiderman: Homecoming
>went to Tesco to get some snacks beforehand
>self-checkout
>machine free finally
>start scanning items
>cute girl comes up to machine next to me
>"unexpected item on the bagging area!!"
>had to have person come over to check it
>my backpack was on the bagging area
>spaghetti everywhere
>cute girl laughing
>cried when watching Spiderman, eating some Johnny's Onion Rings.
>>
File: 1497319358684.jpg (74KB, 807x802px) Image search: [Google]
1497319358684.jpg
74KB, 807x802px
>>61303644
>>
>>61307202
In Japan they don't even have a terminal showing all the items being scanned at the self checkouts for the person monitoring them. I've never had my receipt checked, just scan and bag my shit and I'm on my way.
>>
>>61303241
hacked!!!!!!
>>
>>61310728
Holy hell that's so stupid.

Remember when the Honour System worked? Neither do I.
>>
>>61306402
There's a 24 hour CVS that I use a lot and half their chip readers don't work unless you hold the card while pressing upwards the whole time.
>>
>>61305223
Damn it's like we're living in an underdeveloped nation here in the US.
>>
>do a 1am baked goods run with my lads to a king soopers
>head to the day-old discount shelves in back

>a dozen donuts for 1.99
>baguettes for pennies
>huge muffins, banana bread, pastries, etc for a buck or so

it's great. College isn't so bad sometimes
>>
>>61303232
80% of problems are from people NOT FUCKING READING THE SCREEN, or dicking about in the bagging area or other human error
>>
Stealing CDS from walmart used to be easy thing, the only thing that was scanned at the door was a little metal thingy on inside of the case itself. Remove the metal thingy or stuff the cd into a new case and your home free. The restroom stalls were the perfect place to do the switch.
>>
PLEASE PLACE THE ITEM -IN THE BAG
>>
>>61311705
80% of the problems are caused by the machines being designed for literal retards.
Them not being fast enough annoys the fuck out of me.

Scanning items should not be as slow as it is.
Then when finished, selecting X bags, then tapping enter, the fucking time delay from that to the methods of payment is literally 2 seconds.
What the actual fuckety fuck?
Then hit pay by cash, for example, ANOTHER 2 seconds.
Fuck that shit. It should be fucking instant. Not even a computer in the 90s is that fucking slow to render the screen or even play audio.

I should never need to read the fucking screen.
It should be scan place scan place scan place hit a number hit enter pay by cash enter note fucking done.
I should only ever need to look at the screen for any significant time if there is an error because some cunt fucked up the database weights.
>>
>>61304971
Contactless is the norm now for any purchase less than £30 at least here.

I work in a store and like 75% of our purchases under £30 are contactless.
>>
>>61303445

absolutely fucking nothing.
>>
File: s300_bags-960x640.jpg (18KB, 300x195px) Image search: [Google]
s300_bags-960x640.jpg
18KB, 300x195px
>Do a big shop and wastefully use loads of bags
>How many bags did you use?
>Enter 0

hehe, the perfect crime :^)
>>
>>61312046
You're killing the planet you monster!
>>
my Chinese newly citizenized ethics/human systems prof was super exited to share how exited he was to use one of those put-in-a-quarter-and-get-a-shopping-cart things at a supermarket. It blew his mind. Even better, an old lady gave him a quarter to use since he didn't have one on him.

he says the two most surprising things he has learned about the US are that
1. not everyone is super rich
2. not everyone eats at mcdonalds

he likes it here
>>
>>61311804
Some friends of mine used to go to walmart just to steal beyblades and yugioh cards, they'd just open up the boxes and pocket the stuff.
>>
>>61303232
The Asda ones are really fucking slow. Never had any issues with others in the UK.
>>
>>61303591
Grab a pack of beers or something and throw them on the scale while its zeroing. Boom it zeros to the weight of the beers, free beer

Honestly though if you degenerates have comp.sci degrees and tech jobs why the fuck are you ripping off smallmart just for an extra apple. Typical IT i guess, acting like a monkey just because you found a flaw in a system that's already leakier than your mother for money.
>>
>>61312530
A friend of mine used to steal & resell cards from a game store. He would stroll in, unzip bag and start shoveling stuff in, not kidding. Wouldn't even open up the package, just grab shit off the shelves and toss it in. He couldn't hit too often so he might've grabbed like fifty or sixty dollars worth in each load. AFAIK he was caught several times but only ever slapped on the wrists. I walked back into the store a year ago and every single booster pack and three dollar item was in a plastic security case. wild
>>
>>61312824
Beer won't work because you will have to wait for employee to verify your age so you can buy it, she/he would notice that two items aren't registered
>>
>>61310410
why are brits so awkard?
>>
>>61312917
Wait does that matter if you're stealing it anyways? Just put the pack face down and they'll assume its coke. If they bug you: "sorry man i scanned it but this dumb machine must have cleared it, coulda sworn it was there a minute ago"
>>
I was at Wal-Mart today and there was a damn line to use these self checkout machines. I watched people try to use them and they kept looking confused.

How can you be so fucking retarded that you wouldn't be able to cut it as a Wal-Mart cashier?
>>
>>61303376
Fuck that. I use to get my shit via amazon prime fresh. I abused the shit out of their coupon and free trail on multiple accounts and basically got shit for like 40-60% off. And they don't even want the tote bags back. I ended up using those for a big move.

I miss that service. I live just a few miles outside their service where I moved to.
>>
>>61303232
I once saw a girl trying to purchase a helium balloon and it instructed her to put it on the scale. She became visably distressed.
>>
>>61307241
>break foot
>no insurance
fuk
>>
>>61303232
>UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA
Actually scan it, Jamal
>>
Who else here steal unhusked loose corn? Machine asks me how many are in the plastic bag, which is on the scale- so ofcourse I'm gonna lie by a small margin. No one is going to jump my shit over literal 25cents when I just bought $20 worth of goods.
>>
>>61314029
It's your duty to sabotage the capitalist class at every opportunity; no matter how small
>>
>>61314029
but anon, due to people doing that the goods are 25 cents more expensive. you don't save anything

t. got a c in economics
>>
File: a0320892916_5.jpg (115KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
a0320892916_5.jpg
115KB, 700x700px
>>61303232
almost sounds like the title of a vaporwave album
>>
>nfc creditcard

some fella walks by you with his face in his phone and wipes it by your pocket as you walk the other way, he now owns your card. they got replaced fast in america for this reason, a phone at least requires some sort of secure metric.
>>
>>61303320
It's fucking stupid. If I have 5 of an item, I want to scan it five times. I don't want to scan, place in bad, scan, place in bag, scan, place in bad, scan, place, in bag, scan, place in bag. I just want to get it done quick.
>>
>>61308675
Not at all, it's all the same barcode (and sometimes you'll see regular cashiers do the same). That other anon that mentioned those strips having unique IDs is plausible but I would think those would be only at ultra-high-end shops, otherwise there's no way to distinguish them.
>>
>>61309291
>>61312824
But then it kills the purpose of being deniable entirely.

You can just put stuff on the scales and it zeroes with everything on it, and everybody knows that. And then someone spots you, and it's not deniable in any way, and you're in plain trouble. Congratulations. The real purpose of that zeroing is you can put all your grocery bags on the scales so they're excluded from the measurement, and then pack your stuff as you scan it. That was the original "feature" that started it all, then removed because people were retards and didn't understand how it worked, and picked up the bags, but the automatic zeroing survived when it's totally not needed because those are fine fucking scales that don't need no zeroing that often.

With the trick posted above, you DO appear to scan all items and put them down in order, simply only one of them registers. You didn't do anything wrong, you've just been a bit too fast and the machine got confused. If someone looks at you, they won't see shit unless they're looking for it, and once you've scanned multiple items, and some cover each other, they won't see anything weird either, as that extra article IS present in the list of scanned items, and it's unlikely they realize you have two and only one is scanned.

It's a smalltime trick, but it's infinitely repeatable, impossible to spot by the lazy ass guys keeping a loose eye on it, and there's no way you're getting into trouble for it, it's just the machine fucking up.
>>
>>61314029
Every single time with avocados. I get so many avocados you have no fucking idea.

They're expensive as fuck in Europe too, and then there's an extra "numale tax" applied to it because they're so hip now.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1498957156751.jpg (24KB, 564x564px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1498957156751.jpg
24KB, 564x564px
>>61316410
This fuckin guy
>>
>not just putting rfid on all the products
>not just rolling your cart through a sensor array
>not paying with a single button on your phone
why we don't live in a sci-fi utopia?
>>
File: IMG_7418.jpg (54KB, 480x643px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7418.jpg
54KB, 480x643px
>>61311260
Crime rate is low in Japan. Also, they're not culturally enriched that much so no need for checking your stuff.
>>
>>61316899
*dystopia
>>
>>61303232
You must do it slowly, one item at a time.
Otherwise it WILL freak out on you.
>>
>>61311260
It works every day in Japan. The most obvious example is train fare, where nothing stops you from just walking through the gate and boarding the train, but everyone pays anyway.
>>
>>61316980
I guess I am too used to shitty Britain where you could take your backpack off for 2 seconds, leave on ground, turn around, turn back around and some worthless cunt could be legging it with your backpack.
Or worse, as you turn around some cunt stabs you in the face then steals your backpack.
Or you get raped by 20 tikka masalas then they steal your backpack 20 times.
We used to be a world empire you know.
>>
>>61303626
Smh senpai desu
>>
File: Supermarket vending machine.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Supermarket vending machine.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>61304994
They should also replace most of the stock replenishment workers.
I don't know why they haven't somehow automated the supermarket shelves to refill automatically, seems like some kind of vending machine system could work but not even Amazon Go seems to fix this problem.

https://youtu.be/NrmMk1Myrxc
>>
>>61303232
Top tip /g/entlemen. If you're using any of the old-generation of self scan machines (M&S, Tesco, Morrisons and Sainsburys without contactless) then when the machine says "Unexpected item in bagging area" you just take your stuff out the bagging area and will let you continue without help.
>>
File: p_vending_machine_013_l.jpg (103KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
p_vending_machine_013_l.jpg
103KB, 640x480px
>>61317122
>they call this a supermarket in mexico
niqqa pls
>>
>>61311260
The honor system works well, actually, faggot.
>>
>>61305609
>UNEXPECTED ITEM IN THE BAGGING AREA constantly
it seems like this in my sainsburys in a posh part of semi rural surrey near london
>>
>>61313200
I wonder if it would work if you tied it to the bag rack and it relieved some of the gravitas of the actual groceries.
>>
>>61307241
>watching breitbart
>watching a website
>>
File: 1499692969974.webm (2MB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1499692969974.webm
2MB, 640x640px
IBM WHEN?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eob532iEpqk
>>
>>61317279
>Excuse me sir, seems like your robot waifu is glitched.
>>
I know it's killing jobs but I welcome this shit.

I love going shopping in the middle of the night and talking to no one. Most of the time I don't even see another person, it's great.
>>
>>61308919
If only one unqualified assistant is more than enough for multiple terminals it is still better than human cashiers.
>>
>>61303232
self scan is great, pricey avocado? nope, its a potato. fresh pineapple? nope, potato. Passion fruit? potato, limes? potato, sirloin steak? turns out its actually a potato. Honestly, ive gone from spending around £120 a week to under £70 and im eating better than ever. My reciepts look weird af though, like i have some weird obsession with potatos.
>>
>>61303320
what kind of youropoor are you
The ones in asda(uk) drive me mad
>>
these things actually make it so easy to steal shit that I can't stop even though I don't need the money
>>
>>61303376
do supermarkets in america deliver to your house like they can do in bongistan
>>
>>61303935
Can't you just leave half of your shit unscanned and take it home without paying?
>>
>>61317279
is she doing that because she would be taller than him otherwise?
>>
>>61318476
only if you dont put it in the bagging area but they usually have a shop assistant mooching around the selfscan area and theyll body slam you if you try to walk out without scanning anything. best way is just class everything as loose veg as i mentioned with the potatos above.
>>
>>61316751
you know, there's a leave item in cart feature on those things most of the time.
your cart doesn't have a scale at all, it considers all your items tare
>>
File: george smoking a cigarette.jpg (45KB, 488x442px) Image search: [Google]
george smoking     a cigarette.jpg
45KB, 488x442px
Don't you still need staff to approve things like alcohol and tobacco purchases?
>>
>>61318513
tobacco is usually not reachable by the customer.

alcohol it depends on the place, alot of self check watchers will just push the button immediately to shut the machine up

probably depends on how often the liquor board worked that particular street.
>>
>>61317122
>I don't know why they haven't somehow automated the supermarket shelves to refill automatically

I think about this quite a lot as I stacked shelves throughout high school and uni.

I don't think it's viable currently as there's so many challenges to solve that haven't been achieved yet by even the most advanced robotics R&D. Unless you standardize your shop layout then things will move around constantly based on promotions, popularity etc. Throw this in with the inverse kinematics required to move thousands of different sized products into thousands of different spots, and the object recognition to identify products and where they belong, and the vision to assess whether partially stocked shelves need to be reorganized, if things are in the wrong spot etc.

And then this all has to be integrated into a workflow that allows new products to be added easily, old ones to be removed and for things to be moved around and so on.

Developing a solution for current supermarket environments seems ridiculous at this point.
>>
>>61318585
you're the last line of defense against defective/damaged goods.

if you stock shelves you should know it's your job to determine what is stock-worthy and what is going straight back to the manufacturer to not be paid for.
>>
>>61318513
soon you'll just touch a dongle with your nfc ID and confirm with thumb scan
>>
>>61318608
The main priority was speed. Everything got put on the shelf unless it was a serious issue, like broken glass, busted perishables or dead rodents that stowed away in the cartons. Also that shit got thrown out, nothing went back to the manufacturer. That would happen at distribution (who also did most of the damage to stock).
>>
>>61303376
I use normally do my shopping online for most things but there are certain things i still go in store to pick myself like meat, fruit, vegetables, etc.
Basically anything that might have a short expiration date and other stuff i don't trust the store pickers with.
>>
>>61318648
yeah, but if i was shopping and found a dead rat underneath a big box of ramen i just picked up i would be fucking livid.

you're a part of the puzzle when it comes to separating people from the realities of our food, rodents are part of large amounts of food, but we don't wanna see that shit.
it's easily worth the 10-20 bucks an hour, because it helps defend the store's reputation.

if you went straight from the truck to the vending machine im sure all kinds of shit would make it in, it's not like they're going to use a precision scale and measure each unit, the units change size or shape far too often.(each item individually doesn't very often, but there's probably a single item changing in size, appearance or shape each stock period.
that was true for me when i worked a gas station graveyard anyway.
>>
>>61317279
Spotting conspiratards in the comments is always fun, particularly those that think they're Satan. Counterpoint: paper cash already falls under the definition of the "mark" seeing as you can't buy or sell without it, yet the conspiratards ignore that since it would utterly destroy their argument.
>>
>>61318777
You'd obviously still need someone behind a conveyor belt controlling everything that goes into the store, but the process would be significantly faster and wouldn't require as many people.
>>
>>61318822
you still need to mark the stuff that's going to expire soon manager discount, and toss the stuff that didnt sell, face the shelves, not to mention the other benefits of having an extra body or 2 around in the store.
(I.E. pointing someone out to an item if it's a 24/7 store, watching over things, even just a physical presence is often enough to deter a would be thief.)
if you pulled 5 people from stocking you would probably need to add at least 1 person to asset protection, then you have the maintenance on the conveyor belts and whatever system was in place for quality control.
not to mention the little things, closing the freezer door, keeping people out of the back, calling the police on loitering wogs.

hypothetically if you replaced all stockers, it'd probably be worth while to hire someone to do dick-all and hang out in the store. just for an employee's presence(in my experience the heavy day to day cleaning is usually outsourced)

automation is inevitable, but at current prices, i don't think it gets much more obvious than having someone take items off the pallets and make them look pretty on the shelves.
>>
>>61318502
Most I've seen in Europe don't have those features, they only authorize 10 to 20 items on those, carts are therefore forbidden, and EVERYTHING must be on the scales.

Obviously if some have a much more lose security, no need for any advanced trick.
>>
File: walmart2.png (610KB, 513x908px) Image search: [Google]
walmart2.png
610KB, 513x908px
The handheld systems on Walmart are based off some ancient ARM chip, but they were too lazy to port their inventory management software from x86 so it emulates it. It is slow as fuck.
>>
>>61318975
No, its running a telnet client to a blade server running x64 in the back room. Any info you pull is from that server.

I know this because I'm IT form Kroger and a LOT of companies have the exact same setup with Symbol MC9060/MC9090 handhelds.
>>
>>61303232
PLEASE WAIT FOR ASSISTANCE.
SCALES NOT WORKING PROPERLY.

Our ASDA also puts most of them down for maintenance around lunch time. They all run Windows XP lol
>>
>>61318476
A) they have cameras
B) the scanners are aware of where they are in the store and for how long. if you're spending a lot of time idling for items that you don't end up buying, the heuristics detect that and you get flagged for an audit (person comes over and randomly scans 7-10 items from your purchase). fail the audit and you get banned from the self scanners

>>61318513
it'll call for a staff member they swipe their card and approve the age on the purchase
>>
>>61303232
> "Press start"
> takes 3 secodnds to register
> "Would you like scan our loyalty card ? "
> 5 seconds to register
> Scan n items
> each one them takes at least 3 - 8 seconds
> it rejects randomly 5 -15% of them
> "Choose payment method: CC or Cash"
> select cash
> put notes
> one of them is rejected (usually the one with largest value)
> put it 4 different ways
> it's still rejected
> ask to exchange it for one in better shape
> takes at least 45s
> ok, here we go
> Balance : -2.35
> try to use leftover coins
> fucking coin slot is broken
> "assistant" tells me that i need to push coins coins at select angle with select force, and that I'm holding it wrong™.
> what_the_fuck.png
> she does it for me while having expression of an shitting cat.
> pack my bags and leave

self-checkout is fine when it works properly, but people jew out on maintenance
>>
>>61305400
>all your clubcard points add up
Yeah safe there was silly me thinking they got divided by the sine of the angle of the sun with the horizon.
>>
>big line behind me
>OH FUCK OH FUCK WHERE ARE THESE PRETZELS I HAVE TO CLICK THEM MANUALLY SINCE THEY HAVE NO BAR CODE OH GOD THERE ARE SO MANY PRODUCTS I CAN'T FIND THEM
>oh god everyone is looking at me oh god oh god
>HERE IT IS
>*click*
>"place the thing on the scale thing"
>o-ok
>"BEEP please wait for a shop assistant to arrive"
>FUUUUUUUUUCK
and that was the last time i ever used that stupid cyborg cashier
>>
>>61312046
Alternatively:
>gf insists on spending >£30 on girly shit like shampoo and vegetables
>nah anon we'll just carry all this shit to the car, I'm not paying 10p for 2 bags
>>
>>61303376
>order 10 pounds of potatoes
>half of them are rotten because the person bagging them just doesn't give a shit
no thanks
>>
>>61319069
Fucking technology. I am so fucking tired of the big brother bullshit. It used to be so easy to steal, no camera existed and not beeping frames either.
It's pretty racist if you ask me, they assume just because i'm black i intend to steal.
>>
>tfw buddy works as security in the local supermarket
>tfw he always tells me when nobody is in the booth watching the cameras and uses the joystick to point them away
>tfw steal small bottles with booze all the time and then give him some
have been doing this for months, it's the perfect crime
>>
>>61305271
dumb nigger
>>
>>61303858
Your 'tarded is why. I use them every week and literally never have an issue. Butt, I always get stuck behind some old hag who cant figure out that you scan them item and put it on the belt so it can be weighed and moved down to the bagging area. It's incredibly frustrating. If youre over 35 you should just use the registers with actual store workers :|
>>
I fucking hate these things when they get all passive aggressive when you take too long to pack your shit

"Please remove your items from the bagging area"

Yeah OK I just need to open this piece of shit plastic ba-

"Please remove your items from the bagging area"

Meanwhile it's not saying a goddam word to the subhuman Russian family who bring a fucking trolley into the self-checkout area.
>>
>>61303445
They usually have an employee right there watching you trying to steal it. If it's a grocery store that has teenage employees they might even try to tackle you, which is how they do it at the one I go to. That store has like a quarter of the high school football team on payroll to deal with hobos that are always stealing beer and shit.
>>
>>61303631
>Only 1 out of 20 cashier working at a time
>>
>>61303263
I manage human cashiers and cash office clerks. I can't wait to replace 90% of them with machines...
>>
>>61303263
Self checks are good for small loads for single men.

When you're shopping for an entire family, a human cashier is much more convenient.
>>
>>61311878
>has to look at screen

Over here (Norway) you only need to look at screen when you're weighing something/bought bakery. Other than that it is just scan -> place -> scan -> place
>>
>>61303232
>scan alcoholic beverage
>"beep beep please wait for assistance"
>>
>there are 50 people lined up for self checkout
>theres an empty human cashier 2 meter away

every time.
>>
File: images(2).jpg (13KB, 523x450px) Image search: [Google]
images(2).jpg
13KB, 523x450px
Tips on how to steal shit in Walmart. Especially how to remove these fucking things off boxes.
>>
>>61321577
Scissors
>>
>>61321153
Lucky you. Pretty much every supermarket here in the UK follows the same shitty design where errors happen frequently for no apparent reason at all.

I've been to stores where they usually have 2 fucking people watching over the machines when there is only usually about 8-10 of them simply because they fail so often.
And usually it is because people go at normal human pace whereas the machine is a fucking snails pace.
Whoever designed them deserves to get punched in all 50 billion of their dicks. Twice.

It's gotten so awful that half the time I just skip the fucking machines completely because even with a queue at the human checkouts you can still usually beat how long it takes on those god-awful machines.
>>
>>61308675
you should scan them all individually “to prevent any electrical interference”
>>
>>61318059
centaur
>>
>>61304604
Anon is probably an
>>Apple Shill
>>
>>61320455
I maintain a set of those pieces of shit and let me assure you; after a few months of them breaking down over trivial shit, retards who don't know how to use them, niggers using them to steal shit, old ladies who "accidentally" ring up cherries as bananas at 1/10 the cost or $0.75 donuts as $0.39 rolls, employees bitching at you because the H1B1s who maintain the java codebase are incompetent, your superiors getting mad because they give you a FUCKING QUOTA of people who need to use the machines every day, and everyone else crying to you because they're fucking stupid or the machine decided to eat another $20 bill you will hate those machines enough to quit the job by dowsing them in kerosene and having a self-checkout bonfire.
>>
File: 1467770152273.png (134KB, 702x397px) Image search: [Google]
1467770152273.png
134KB, 702x397px
Am I the only one who never has any problems with these things or something?
>>
I'm not paid to operate a till and the machines are always pieces of shit that make purchasing awkward, so I never use them.
>>
>lurch from my slumber at 11pm
>drive over to Fry's to buy red bull, beer, beef jerky and microwave pizza
>fill my cart and reach checkout
>literally no lanes open at all, all you can do is use the self-checkout
>scan a few items
>bag them
>put the bag in my cart
>REEEEEEEEEEE RETURN THE ITEM TO THE BAGGING AREA
>there's not enough room in the fucking bagging area for everything I'm trying to buy
>touch screen to try to bypass it
>REEEEEEEEE CUSTOMER REQUIRES ASSISTANCE
>employee comes over and punches a few buttons to bypass the screen
>continue
>bought a big load of water because this is arizona and it's hot and the tap water tastes like sand
>i'm not trying to scan and bag a 32 pack of water bottles
>hit the large item button
>REEEEEEEEEEE CUSTOMER REQUIRES ASSISTANCE
>employee wanders over to scan the bottles
>finish scanning and bagging
>go to pay
>select cash
>REEEEEEEEEEE CUSTOMER REQUIRES ASSISTANCE
>have to go over to a fucking register and pay
>4 self-checkouts watched by one employee except that they all take 10 fucking times longer than just running a proper checkout

what is the fucking point
>>
>>61303232
>>61303245
>>61304537
>>61305400
>>61305609
>BEEP
>AGE RESTRICTED ITEM PLACED IN PACKING AREA
>BEEP
>BEEP
>BEEP
>PLEASE WAIT FOR ASSISTANCE
>'assistance' arrives
h-h-hello, just t-these... p-p-p-please
Do you have ID?
O-o-oh, s-sure. 'ere it is
Sorry sir, you can't accept a Costa Coffee club card for your proof of age. Leave the condoms and bottles of vodka aside and I'll return those to where they belong. You can pay for the duct tape separately however.
>>
File: 1470105155976.jpg (65KB, 500x464px) Image search: [Google]
1470105155976.jpg
65KB, 500x464px
>>61303626
It's ok senpai. It was summer for all of us at one point.

Self checkouts are great for my autism. No more human interaction to buy groceries.
>>
>>61327184
I'm pretty sure most states don't allow hard alcohol to be sold at super markets or at least have then behind a counter or separate area from the self check out. It's pretty annoying that they age restrict canned air though.
>>
>>61327833
Arizona just has an aisle for booze, it's great
>>
>>61327184
>minimum age for buying condoms
You are just joking, right? Please tell me you are joking. Surely no countries are stupid enough to encourage unsafe sex between minors on purpose.
>>
Wait, you people need to scan all your items at a checkout? What a phenomenal waste of time.

At my supermarket, I can pick up a handheld scanner as I enter, scan everything as I put it in my bags, and just pay the total amount in the handheld scanner at the checkout. No queues ever, no handling each purchase twice.
>>
>>61327184
>Age restricted condoms
Nobody would be stupid enough to do that
>>
>>61328025
Where is this?
>>
>>61328065
The Netherlands. It's the only form of self scan I have seen here.
>>
>>61303605
That probably depends on the wear and tear of the machine. I'm sure that they malfunction from time to time. I've never had issue with them personally. I just can't imagine how someone would fuck up on one.
>>
>>61306095
Real talk tho the MC40 is a blessing compared to the Telxon.
>>
I love the self checkout area it helps with buying things discretely

>going through automatic checkout
>putting latex gloves, condoms, sponges, vaseline and packs of pringles into bag quickly
>sudden error
>machine starts playing a siren
>ALERT: MANAGER TO SELF CHECKOUT MACHINE 3. ALERT CODE ZERO THREE ZERO NINE FIVE ALERT

>this siren is blasting on all the loud speakers inside the supermarket

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy_oX6SURRE

>manager gets there
>shes going through my stuff
>"SO WHATCHA GOT IN ERE EYYY"
>"Hah U gettin UR GF to clean the house before SEX ?! HE HE HE HE "
>>
>>61304994
>that human could be composing music and other bullshit
No. If they could do that, they wouldn't be a fucking cashier. You never see Madonna working in Tesco. It's great for single mum of 3 that can't even spell college.
Also
>reddit spacing
>>
>>61328025
We have some stores with this option in Pennsyltucky
>>
>>61327926
I haven't heard of an age restriction on condoms, most high schools hand them out for free.
>>
>grab the most expensive cultivar of apples
>punch it in as the cheapest cultivar
who /devilish/ here
>>
>>61318416
FINALLY SOMEONE GETS IT

RING HEAVY ITEMS UP AS A CHEAP VEGETABLE/FRUIT

BRING YOUR OWN BARCODES FOR ANYTHING ELSE

ATTENDANT APPROACHES YOU?

"oh shit i wasn't even paying attention my bad. thanks for fixing this thing."

self checkout is a shoplifter's dream come true
>>
>anywhere in the world
>pay with bitcoin
>just read a fucking QR code
>done
>>
File: 1493064073152.jpg (38KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1493064073152.jpg
38KB, 640x480px
>>61303957
>Shit is cash.
>>61303957
>doesn't accept cash or checks
>>
>>61329021
target busted a VP at the company I work for on the barcode swapping
http://www.mercurynews.com/2012/05/22/da-motive-in-silicon-valley-lego-barcode-scheme-may-be-compulsion-or-beating-the-system/
>>
>>61329148
>checks
What is this forgotten piece of history you speak of?
>>
File: 1489256958506.jpg (104KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1489256958506.jpg
104KB, 720x960px
>>61329148
>>>61303957
>>Shit is cash.
>>>61303957
>>doesn't accept cash
>>
File: Gas2.png (44KB, 760x797px) Image search: [Google]
Gas2.png
44KB, 760x797px
>>61305543
Shit trip, kid.
>>
I used to hate these machines when I was a cashier at the Home Depot. People would come up to the registers with bags of cement, carts with 20 feet long PVC pipes, flowers that needed to be scanned by myself since otherwise there would be dirt everywhere if taken out of the cart, nails & screws with no barcode (they needed an item code), and worse of all it was a bitch when people bought shit from plumbing that didn't have a tag. You needed to look that up (don't know if the method is the same) with specific keywords such as "3/4 FIP x 1 1/2 FIP Brass adapter " or some shit.
>>
>>61329192
>pre-plants the barcodes
>returns later to purchase the plants

next level approach. thanks for a new strategy.

his downfall was that he was purchasing big (read: no bags), colorful (read: noticeable) boxes that are obviously worth money (read: household name brand). he was also obviously a repeat offender. innovative tho. rip in pepperonis
>>
File: Doc-Brown.jpg (127KB, 1131x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Doc-Brown.jpg
127KB, 1131x1600px
>>61317274
You clearly haven't been to the future.
>>
the humans in that picture are all so ugly
>>
HAVE YOU SCANNED YOUR CLUB CARD?

*BEEP* three.... ninety-nine
*BEEP* four..... ninety-nine

eighteen... cents.... savings...
>>
File: grumpycatlikes.jpg (24KB, 556x350px) Image search: [Google]
grumpycatlikes.jpg
24KB, 556x350px
These machines are the best things ever! I'm so happy they're going in places! I get through checkout so much more quickly! Human checkout is so slow, and they wanna smack their gums and lips making vocal noises with people in front of me!
>>
>>61329465
Some faggot tried this on me at work (office supply drone), he purchased two $10 basic Logitech mice, then copied the UPC, made his own labels, then came back and tried to stick them on two $100 Logitech wireless keyboards for Mac and purchase them.

I caught his stupid ass because they rung up as Logitech M100 mice and they were very much not.

At first I thought he'd removed the labels of the M100s that were in the store, but the UPC for those is behind plastic and printed on the backing card. The stickers on the keyboard boxes appeared to be Brother P-tape.
>>
>>61319565
You sound like you have social anxiety anon
>>
>be self check-out operator for 5 years
>quit job to protect me from suicide

i'm poor as fuck now but at least i don't have to interact with the retards anymore
>>
>>61317269
You could tie it to things that are weighed by the pound.
>>
>>61305258
Fuck off, frogposter.
>>
>>61303644
Tch.
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.