[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i miss when search engines were actually useful nowadays they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

File: Screenshot (133).png (146KB, 1424x1037px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (133).png
146KB, 1424x1037px
i miss when search engines were actually useful

nowadays they just shower you with pages of top clickbaity articles from shitty journalism sites even if they are completely unrelated
>>
I'm glad someone else has noticed the sludge that search results have become. SEO was a mistake.
>>
>>61303000
You don't miss anything u underage fuck.
>>
>>61303000
>bloated
>shitty
>expecting anything but ibs results
>>
>>61303000
Use duckduckgo then and move on from Google.
>>
google gives me personalized results and it is very effective if you know how to search
>>
>>61303257
A decade ago, Google had a lot more accurate and pertinent results, and Wikipedia for any topic was always top result, followed by some website or webpage devoted to it. Now, it's invariably some news article followed by opeds about the thing. I can't pinpoint when this change happened, it's been too gradual to notice, especially with Google shilling themselves and their new algorithms in a positive light, but I'd say things went to utter shit about two/three years ago.
>>
You must be seriously mentally handicapped if you can't get google to reliably pull up any information you want in the top 3 results.
>>
>>61303000
gigo, fagguette
>>
>>61303530
Exactly, they just have to learn how to use Google
The results are not random or just "top clicked websites", there are algorithms which give results accurate to earlier queries
>>
>using jewgle
>>
>>61303000
YES!
I've been internally bitching about this shite for at least 2 years. Even if you change your search string it gives the same shit tier fucking results. Where the fuck did all the good search engines go?
>>
>>61303530
>>61303616
Fucking idiots. My searches aren't always related, and so previous searches shouldn't even be considered. Only a manager could've ever thought this was a good idea.
>>
>>61303548
nigger if you search for just about anything that has a wikipedia article it will not only be the top result, but the basic gist of it will be extracted from the article and displayed on the search results itself

Are there seriously people in 2017 who don't understand how to use search engines?
>>
>>61303548
wow it's almost like the internet has grown a lot since 2007 and most companies now invest a lot of time and money into SEO
>>
>>61303000
>can't form a normally worded question
>blames the search engine
Are you an Amerifat by chance?
>>
>paranoid autists disables every "botnet" feature and is now mad that the features actually were useful and now he doesn't get helpful personalised results
lmao
>>
I noticed as well, i think it has to do with the advent of social media. Its a contentshitstorm that wasn't quite as big 2 to 3 years ago and most assuredly is indexed by google.
>>
>>61303940
>personalised results
So answers to questions you ask should be different from the same question someone else asks? What kind of mental gymnastics are you doing? "Personalization" should have no place in search engines.
>>
File: 0.jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
11KB, 480x360px
>>61303849
not only previous searches. your profile information, age, location, emails and history as well. if you read or watched something about strauss before and google 'also sprach zarathustra' the first results will be about strauss' work, not nietzsche's. google is smarter than you. if you dont like it, go fuck yourself.
>>
>>61303972
>if you read or watched something about strauss before and google 'also sprach zarathustra' the first results will be about strauss' work, not nietzsche's.
That's exactly why it sucks. Just because I ordered a pizza last night doesn't mean I want pizza recipes on my next search. Neck yourself for even thinking about defending it.
>>
>>61304019
open a new incognito tab if it is not working for you the dumbass.
>>
>>61304065
>Use placebo
Faggot, I don't even use the botnet. All my searches go through startpage or searx, fact is, google results have been getting shittier and shittier over the years. Maybe you're too young to realize, or maybe you're a shill, either way, you're wrong and the world would be a better place without you.
>>
Wow, lots of Googlers in this thread, how much do they pay you GIDF guys anyway?

>>61303548
This so much, been using Jewgle since like 2002 and used to be able to find shit easy, back before "personalized results" were a thing.

Now if you ever try looking for something niche expect to be bombarded with unrelated news articles and word salad sites for the first 10 pages.

PageRank was so much better than this shit.
>>
>>61304100
>im not using google
>guys google doesnt work ;_;
what an idiot
>>
>>61303000
I miss when /g/ wasn't full of retards like (You)
>>
>>61304125
startpage indexes google results you stupid fuck
>>
>>61304125
Thanks for proving you ignorance.
>>
>>61303891
I meant without dorks and advanced search, but OK.
>>
>>61303000
Honesty google has been hit with search results for the past few years.
unless its something a million people looked for good luck finding a link that will take you there or has not been taken down by the millennium act.
>>
>>61304707
>shit*
>>
>>61303912
>types out word that the search engine will just filter out anyway
>>
>>61303970
Yes.
Say most people prefer to get their information from site X, but you prefer to get it from site Y. Google has no way of knowing this at first, but over time as you use its service and you ignore results pointing to site X in favor of results pointing to site Y, it will know to serve you more results from site Y than site X. This is basic stuff, moron.
>>
allowing people easy access to useful information is dangerous

better to shove useless information in their face

else they may find out how how their getting fucked

so lets hide any relevant information in a giant ocean of bullshit
>>
has anyone else noticed a significant drop in search quality in the past few months?
>>
File: IMG_0843.jpg (198KB, 500x624px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0843.jpg
198KB, 500x624px
>>61303000
Yeah I also noticed this, google searches don't find answer anymore. I was trying to find something out about some headphones I had but literally every search I tried just led me to "Microsoft Xbox One headphones for sale" or a "M*crosoft headphone guide" on their own webpage.

I'm telling you, start amassing as much data as you can now, it's going to all be gone sooner than you realize.
>>
>>61303000
I miss when you could do advanced searches using logical operations, brackets and such.
Now it's all NATURAL SPEECH this and MACHINE LEARNING that.

No, fuck you cunt. Let me search exactly what I need and not let you assume what I meant.
That shit just creates EXTRA overhead on top of them trying to find the correct results by re-searching.
And that usually, with me, ends up happening at least 3 times per unfound search on average, more with more generic search terms. Way more.
>>
>>61305970
"stuff I want to be shown" != "stuff that Google wants to show me". Google wants your top results to be things that make Google money. Why do you think the top results are so often youtube videos or buy-shit-here sites? Its like pulling teeth to search for lots of things because Google, and most of the modern web, is so intent on selling you shit.

>>61307002
Fuck, I'm not even sure that trick of putting a word in quotes to say "I don't give a fuck about your linking algorithms, show me only results ACTUALLY CONTAINING THIS WORD" works anymore. Not that I ought to have to do that in the first place.
>>
>>61307089
Google gives me relevant results in the first 5 results 99% of the time, you're just an idiot and can't master basic search engine language (literal teenagers can do this)
>>
Why are there retards in this thread writing about personalized results?

>internet in 2010
write keywords you think the answer will contain, press enter -> first few results are exactly what you need

>internet in 2017
write anything related to your query, google will provide answers based on domain authority/page authority aka "trust" => jews buy SEO and rank for 10000 of keywords even tho all those programming blogs are exactly what you need but they got 0 SEO and article/kw density is very very low factor in ranking atm, even if you got 3k words
>>
>>61303280
Yeah, I think google should be able to parse "search results" and "shitty articles" and not think I'm searching for medical advice. OP is right. It is a lot shittier than it used to be.
>>
File: 1499479712894.jpg (119KB, 876x719px) Image search: [Google]
1499479712894.jpg
119KB, 876x719px
>>61303000
Not having Google to use responsive design on the search page is a bigger problem iyam
>>
>>61303900
This.
When being the second result can lose a sale, this is what happens.

Blame internet shopping.
>>
>>61307089
Ever think it isn't the search engines wanting to sell you shit, but in fact websites that want to sell you shit?
Welcome to the internet marketplace.
>>
>>61306797
I think they started to do something with the news sites. The "totally legitimate news, not a clickbait promise!" sites seem to flood the results now.
>>
Google COMPLETELY fucked up their image search by linking it to their neural network project. I'm not searching a picture because I want to identify what it is, I'm looking for specificity, which my brain can't do. It makes no sense at all.
>>
>>61303000
Technically the first one is a search result is an article about being bloated with shit, and all results are written by a website that hosts shitty articles. I'd say Google is doing its job just fine.
>>
>>61303000
so much this, I'm sick of all this fucking clickbait garbage everywhere, fuck you and your ads, I will block every single fucking ad just so clickbait articles that I may not notice to be on won't get a fucking dime.
>>
>>61309642
A general purpose search engine is a tool for finding information. It shouldn't be taking corporate interests in selling me shit into account. The internet was not created for commercial purposes.
>>
>>61309003
>watch this show
>this fluid druid shows up every in thread I'm in
No, stop, this isn't normal.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.