[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's a good vehicle camera that works well and is not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 617lYhsy+JL._SL1200_.jpg (98KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
617lYhsy+JL._SL1200_.jpg
98KB, 1200x1200px
What's a good vehicle camera that works well and is not buggy?

I bought a Vantrue one and the battery on it sucks and you have to run a wire to the electric socket to keep it running.
>>
A119 or A119S, on Amazon the Spytec one or Viofo

A119 has wider FOV and higher res, but no Sony chip.

A119S has Sony chip and supposedly better night detail, but limited to 1080p and narrower FOV.

Dont forget to get the len filter too
>>
>>61298961
The Latest GoPro is great, if you have the money.
>>
>vehicle camera
>battery
Unless the vehicle is something like a motorcycle, battery is not the route you want to go. In fact I intentionally removed the battery from my dashcam. This is because batteries degrade over time, especially in heat, and I didn't want to make that a failure point of my camera. Instead I replaced it with a large capacitor which holds just enough charge to let the shutdown process finish smoothly when I turn off the car.

It is perfectly normal for the camera to be powered from a wire, even if you want it to operate in "parking mode" while the vehicle is unattended. The camera will not run down your vehicle battery in this low power state. Being plugged in while driving ensures that the camera is always able to function and that you're not at the whim of a dead battery, forgetting to start recording, etc.

All of that having been said: look up Techmoan on YouTube. He's got a whole playlist of dashcam reviews. Start with the newest ones and watch for his very fair and complete assessments. I use a pretty old and feature-poor one myself so that might not suit your purposes.
>>
Been rocking a GW1-C for a year now and it's great.

Don't cheap out on the microsd/whatever card or it will die. Check it every couple of months. Don't mount the camera on your actual dash or on the windshield or else it will die.

>>61299026
Also listen to this anon, the GW1-C doesn't have a battery on purpose. All of the above things I mentioned along with this are for the same reason, it's heat. All of the "omg my $300 dashcam died after 2 months!!!!" shits are people who mount it where it will be directly in the sun every day.
>>
>>61298981
This should be plenty fine right here. I have an old G1WC (capacitor) that's similar to the one in OP's pic. It's a spytec version and was around 40 dollars at the time. Pretty good for the price. No lens filter on mine and works well enough. That will depend on the car and placement.
>>
>>61299026
The A119 line has capacitor. One thing about the newest A119S is video artifact and complete corruption. Mine got it, had to return - might be early issues with the chipset.

Anything less than $100 is not gonna look good. Details arent gonna be clear if at all.
>>
>>61299062
Yea I have a GW1C as stated here >>61299079. I'm in South Florida (Everglades/Keys just about) so the heat and humidity will kill you. Places like Arizona are pretty bad with that high dry heat too.
>>
>>61299026
I have this one:
http://www.vantrue.net/Goods/detail/gid/2.html

The quality is fairly good, it's just buggy for some reason. I guess I will run a power wire in my car. It just turns off when you turn it on. They said it has a small battery only for remembering settings since it can overheat in car.
>>
>>61299121
I picked up a cig lighter adapter with a switch and LED on it. Plug the power wire into that and run that switch to the front console so I can toggle it on or off. My two main cars are new models so the lighter sockets actually stay powered on even if you shut the vehicle off.
>>
>>61299158
Adding to this I like having the option to keep the camera running even while the car is off at times like at a gas station or if I'm in a higher risk area/parking lot.
>>
Reviews showed that Vantrue is pretty shit for its price point.
>>
>>61299158
My newer car shuts off the cig lighter socket (which is under my armrest). My older car had it always on. I guess shutting it off is a good thing.

But it's such a pain in the ass to run the micro USB cable to the armrest. I will try this weekend.
>>
>>61299204
I have one near the front USB ports (Buick Enclave) and another one in the armrest. Both remain powered on. YMMV depending on model I suppose.
>>
>>61299267
Yeah mine is a BMW 135i from 2012, you know how retarded Germans are sometimes. There's literally only 1 socket under the armrest on a $50,000 car lel

I've seen people sneak in power from the fusebox but I'm a pussy. I'd like to have the dashcam always running (on it's auto features) because I live in an area where there's a lot of shitty drivers.
>>
>>61299678
Could've sworn it was BMW, Audi, Volvo, or Mercedes that had a cig adapters on the bottom of the dash passenger side where your feet and lower vent might be. Recall seeing one looking at cars for the kiddos in the 2010-2013 range. Caught my eye.
>>
>>61299800
Yeah not this model. Maybe in the 3series or 5series. This is more of a "sporty" release that wasn't as popular when it was released, but picked up a lot of steam after it was discontinued.

There's no cig lighter in the glovebox either, nor in the dash area, so if I don't run a wire, the cable will just dangle in the middle and be really annoying.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.