[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GNU/Linix

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_3267.png (21KB, 200x236px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3267.png
21KB, 200x236px
Which distro "just works"? I've been using opensuse with gnome and it works pretty well, but yast is sort of annoying. I'm using arch at home, but on my work laptop I want something ideally as reliable as fagOS.
>>
>>>/g/cosg
>>
>>61296887
Xubuntu works perfectly fine for me
>>
>>61296887
Linux Mint Mate. If slower PC with 2GB RAM or less, Linux Mint XFCE. People will shill and bitch about me recommending it, but at least give it a try. If you hate it, go with Ubuntu instead.
>>
>>61296887
>GNU/Linix
It's just linux you fucking autist. GNU is less than 6% of any modern lInux distro. GNU cultists and Stallman nuthuggers are the dumbest idiots ever.
>>
Whatever flavor of Ubuntu you find the most appealing functionality wise or Korora if you prefer Fedora spins
>>
>>61296887
so far, Xubuntu just works for me
>>
>>61296887
i use arch on my laptop
but i used to run a linuxbbq distro, cant remember which but it was comfy til gtk3 came and knocked over all my sandcastles
>>
>>61296887
No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?
>>
>>61296887
Debian has the benefit of being stable, and having up to date packages, but not to the extreme of being bleeding edge. I stopped distro hopping after I installed debian over a year ago. I recommend netinstall, for a no nonsense clean intstall.
>>
Almost all of them nowadays if you can spend a few minutes reading an install guide.

Fuck, even Slackware can be installed on laptops with esoteric hardware and Just Werk(TM) nowadays.

I just reinstalled it on an HP laptop that has a notoriously bad Beats-branded sound system last night.

I've had to wrestle with for a few hours getting PulseAudio to work correctly with it even just a year ago on various distros and as of last night, I just installed Slackware current and it worked flawlessly.

The only 2 things not set up for me during the install were Wicd for wireless compatibility and the multilib compilers and libraries.

A distro that was always for lazy powerusers is now compatible with even notoriously hard to get working hardware.

I don't know what the fuck to think about the current state of the Linux Desktop...it's actually a viable option even for normies now.

I feel dirty...

Help.
>>
>>61298345
Yes I'm sure you do feel "dirty" as a slackware turd that normies have easy access to linux now. Why don't you migrate to BSD, and also take some 9MM aspirin.
>>
>>61298377
>BSD
Why would I "migrate to BSD" when I'm already using a UNIX-hierarchy OS with a superior Linux kernel? Slackware is more than enough of a unique snowflake for me. BSD's aren't try-hard enough.
>9mm aspirin
I think I'd rather slowly kill myself with all of this cocaine, adderall and hydrocodone.
>>
>>61298234
Is this copypasta?
>>
Ubuntu
>>
>>61298719
>confirmed archfag
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.