[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the point with helium hard drives? What benefits

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: 1469052121480.jpg (212KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1469052121480.jpg
212KB, 1920x1080px
What's the point with helium hard drives? What benefits does it give you? Better reliability and less mechanical crashes?
>>
basically more velocodensity
>>
floats better if you use it in the bath
>>
Less air resistance, the read write head can be closer to the platter meaning you can fill more platters in a standard enclosure.
>>
>>61296431
that's it? i see drives at a high storage capacity with and without helium, why would anyone choose helium when it costs more
>>
You can use it in oil.
>>
>>61296457
It's also sealed, whereas non-helium drives need to be able to breathe. A sealed drive is safer from dust contamination.
>>
Your voice gets all squeaky when you use it, making you ashamed and sheepish.
>>
since its pressurised it allows u to use it in an airplane
>>
>>61297689
proofs?
>>
>>61296346
Helium has the highest heat capacity of all the gases. It can conduct heat away from the moving parts much better.
IBM had a multi-chip CPU assembly that had a helium-filled piston resting on each chip in the top model of the IBM9370 mid-range mainframe.
>>
File: PwfDB8Oomt.jpg (77KB, 650x300px) Image search: [Google]
PwfDB8Oomt.jpg
77KB, 650x300px
>>61296346
less resistance, less friction, less heat, less wear, greater longevity.

>>61297788
see the holes that say "do not cover this hole"? that's where the air comes in. the atmospheric pressure has to be just right for the heads to float at the right height above the platter. in the old days (90s), if you went up a mountain or were in a plane where the air pressure was too low, the heads would sometimes crash into the platter. I'm not sure how the engineers remedied this, but it seems fixed now.

https://www.howtogeek.com/127433/what-is-the-purpose-of-the-do-not-cover-this-hole-hole-on-hard-drives/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_height
>>
>>61297788
>>>61297689
>proofs?

No proofs, pure BS. All hard drives a sealed, a single smoke molecule is enough clog the area between the read/write head and the disk.
>>
>>61296431
yes, because the extra few microns is totally gonna let you pack more platters in
>>
File: Hard-drive-air-filter1-1024x768.jpg (84KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Hard-drive-air-filter1-1024x768.jpg
84KB, 1024x768px
>>61297901
they're not completely sealed. air has to come in to build up pressure. see >>61297872
under the holes there's a super-dense filter that filters out all the particles (they're not as clean as in the picture after a few years of use though!)
>>
>>61296457

because the helium is how you get the higher storage capacity without going to shingled recording.

stuff more platters into the existing form factor with existing heads, with existing recording techniques, spin the thing at 7200 rpm and the drive will overheat from all the viscous losses. Fill it with helium, and you are good.

I am not looking forward to shingled recording. Helium pushes existing tech just a little bit further without using it.
>>
File: PCmag071993.png (352KB, 450x607px) Image search: [Google]
PCmag071993.png
352KB, 450x607px
helium's not the first time they've experimented with different media. I wonder about what happens when the helium leaks out after several years (which it inevitably will- look up gas permeation through solid metals)
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.