[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 34

File: 1491360771937.jpg (359KB, 1130x1194px) Image search: [Google]
1491360771937.jpg
359KB, 1130x1194px
Previous thread: >>61276231

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
http://www.commandlinefu.com/
http://bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: >>>/t/769497
/t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: >>>/t/713097

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
http://fglt.nl && https://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy
>>
First for:
musl c
Busybox
LLVM
Clang
>>
File: screenFetch-2017-07-09_23-44-22.png (228KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2017-07-09_23-44-22.png
228KB, 1366x768px
Just installed Solus yesterday and think it's pretty nice to be desu
>>
>>61295416
$ awk 'BEGIN { printf "%d\n", 10240000000000/1024 }'
$ busybox awk 'BEGIN { printf "%d\n", 10240000000000/1024 }'
$
>>
Best easiest and secure linux distro for a cryptocurrency offline wallet?
>>
>>61295539
puppy
>>
File: 1480874534574.png (8KB, 233x251px) Image search: [Google]
1480874534574.png
8KB, 233x251px
>>61295539
Linux is just a kernel, mostly used in the GNU system. Please call the complete system GNU/Linux, unless you're referring to the kernel alone.
>>
>>61295607
No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.
>>
>>61295607
Next, even if we limit the GNU/Linux title to the GNU-based Linux distributions, we run into another obvious problem. XFree86 may well be more important to a particular Linux installation than the sum of all the GNU contributions. More properly, shouldn't the distribution be called XFree86/Linux? Or, at a minimum, XFree86/GNU/Linux? Of course, it would be rather arbitrary to draw the line there when many other fine contributions go unlisted. Yes, I know you've heard this one before. Get used to it. You'll keep hearing it until you can cleanly counter it.

You seem to like the lines-of-code metric. There are many lines of GNU code in a typical Linux distribution. You seem to suggest that (more LOC) == (more important). However, I submit to you that raw LOC numbers do not directly correlate with importance. I would suggest that clock cycles spent on code is a better metric. For example, if my system spends 90% of its time executing XFree86 code, XFree86 is probably the single most important collection of code on my system. Even if I loaded ten times as many lines of useless bloatware on my system and I never excuted that bloatware, it certainly isn't more important code than XFree86. Obviously, this metric isn't perfect either, but LOC really, really sucks. Please refrain from using it ever again in supporting any argument.

Last, I'd like to point out that we Linux and GNU users shouldn't be fighting among ourselves over naming other people's software. But what the heck, I'm in a bad mood now. I think I'm feeling sufficiently obnoxious to make the point that GCC is so very famous and, yes, so very useful only because Linux was developed. In a show of proper respect and gratitude, shouldn't you and everyone refer to GCC as 'the Linux compiler'? Or at least, 'Linux GCC'? Seriously, where would your masterpiece be without Linux? Languishing with the HURD?
>>
>>61295623
Linux will always be Linux, GNU will always be GNU, GNU/Linux is the combination of both.
>>
>>61295607
If there is a moral buried in this rant, maybe it is this: be grateful for your abilities and your incredible success and your considerable fame. Continue to use that success and fame for good, not evil. Also, be especially grateful for Linux' huge contribution to that success. You, RMS, the Free Software Foundation, and GNU software have reached their current high profiles largely on the back of Linux. You have changed the world. Now, go forth and don't be a nag.
>>
installed ubuntu on my laptop and the fans are going crazy and the whole thing seems to be close to overheating.

I have followed tutorials to disable the nvidia chip inside but I dont think it has worked desu. anyone fixed this problem ?
>>
>>61295607
On average gnu represents less then 3% of the tools in a modern Linux distro.So no i will not call it by that shit name
>>
>>61295665
Nice meme.
>>
>start computer science course and am doing programming homework with other people on course
>everything is fine
>guy with dell and ubuntu asks why i dont just use linux
>say I like macs
>"yeah but you can install ubuntu on a mac or use it in a virtual machine"
>say yeah but i like the mac desktop and it works fine for me
>"yeah but linux and windows are better for programming so it will probably help if you are on computer science"
>can't comprehend that i have to go through way less effort for the same outcome as him
why are you guys like this
>>
>>61295689
Check your own system faggot
>>
>>61295665
It doesn't matter how many operating system is installed on your operating system. The name keeps the same. You're blinded by companies who want to get rid of thoughts about "freedom", e.g. GNU. Don't fall for that.
>>
File: 1481473117910.png (683B, 210x147px) Image search: [Google]
1481473117910.png
683B, 210x147px
>>61295704
Check your own system, faggot.
>>
>>61295701
He just wants you to be free of Apple's draconian policies but hasn't memorized any of Stallman's rants yet.
>>
>>61295710
>freedom
I have the freedom to call my system what ever the fuck i want and gnu is not part of it.Check for your own fucking self,its abysmal compared to all the other systems in place on a linux distro.Why do they not get the same credit?
We would all be lost with oux XF86.So why is it not XF86/Linux?
What about further down the line
We cant access the www without a web browser,that takes up more time then most other apps.
XF86/Linux/FIrefox
Were do we stop?
>>
>>61295665
But that's wrong and it doesn't matter also.
>>
>>61295389
>Stallmans_shaved_chest.jpg
>>
>>61295737
but if you look at big companies like google everybody is programming on macs though
>>
>>61295746
Its not wrong.Check it against how many packages you have installed,and the size of the gnu packages.
Even on FRESH BARE NETINSTALL,its negligable
You have more non gnushit tools then you have gnu
>>
File: 1498135513146.jpg (54KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1498135513146.jpg
54KB, 480x640px
>>61295740
What we say is that you ought to give the system's principal developer a share of the credit. The principal developer is the GNU Project, and the system is basically GNU.

If you feel even more strongly about giving credit where it is due, you might feel that some secondary contributors also deserve credit in the system's name. If so, far be it from us to argue against it. If you feel that X11 deserves credit in the system's name, and you want to call the system GNU/X11/Linux, please do. If you feel that Perl simply cries out for mention, and you want to write GNU/Linux/Perl, go ahead.

Since a long name such as GNU/X11/Apache/Linux/TeX/Perl/Python/FreeCiv becomes absurd, at some point you will have to set a threshold and omit the names of the many other secondary contributions. There is no one obvious right place to set the threshold, so wherever you set it, we won't argue against it.

Different threshold levels would lead to different choices of name for the system. But one name that cannot result from concerns of fairness and giving credit, not for any possible threshold level, is “Linux”. It can't be fair to give all the credit to one secondary contribution (Linux) while omitting the principal contribution (GNU).
>>
>>61295781
>gnushit
Why are you even in this thread?
>>
>>61295767
Just because everyone is doing it doesn't mean it is the morally right thing to do. People, in general, are dumb herd animals. This is especially true when it comes to things that are pushed upon us by marketing strategists looking to make a profit, throwing around phrases like "think different" in order to gaud those who fancy themselves free thinkers into buying their things and giving them their data for free as icing on the cake.
>>
>>61295689
pedrocr.pt/text/how-much-gnu-in-gnu-linux/
>>
>>61295785
gnushit has ridden on the backs of Linux and Linux for over 30 years. Stallman personally hasent contributed anything to the tech industry since '86.He is a leech and deserves nothing.He wants free source code cause he is unorginal and cannot CREATE anything new.He is a detriment to the Linux ecosystem.He deservers nothing and ask for the world.If Linus didnt create Linux,he would have been a no good useless neckbeard,oh wait he still is

>>61295798
I use Linux,this is a gnu or Linux thread.Learn proper grammar
>>
File: fPWX5u6.jpg (290KB, 1200x796px) Image search: [Google]
fPWX5u6.jpg
290KB, 1200x796px
How secure is Mint?

>>61295701
Is this bait?
>>
>>61295830
>People, in general, are dumb herd animals.
ah yes, everybody must be doing everything because they are forced to, and not out of free will because they want to.
you ever think that maybe the computer you use actually has very little impact on your life if you aren't using it 24/7?
>>
File: 1468944278228.png (78KB, 793x1684px) Image search: [Google]
1468944278228.png
78KB, 793x1684px
>>61295866
I knew you will post this. Pic related.
Also: It doesn't fucking matter; even without any "GNU tools" (GNU is an OS), a kernel doesn't magicaly turn into a complete system.
>>
>>61295868
>Learn proper grammar
learn the space bar
>>
>>61295868
dumb phone poster
>>
>>61295873
no really, like its fine if you want to use linux but there are so many people on my course who have a go at me for using a mac and have to force their opinion on me. we both produce the same outcome except its probably less problems and less stress for me. I don't go around telling people to buy a mac, just do your research and pick what you want no need to be autistic about it, even my university professor uses a mac
>>
>>61295903
>implying linux isn't an os
>>
>>61295907
>>61295916
cognitive dissonance much?
>>
File: large_1685_zab2_3.jpg (380KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
large_1685_zab2_3.jpg
380KB, 1200x800px
I want to buy this keyboard, but apparently it has an ARM chip inside.
It most likely operates on nonfree firmware.
Wat do.
>>
File: 1476686471770.jpg (59KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1476686471770.jpg
59KB, 640x480px
>>61295933
Mail me at "[email protected]" if you have any questions.

Sadly, a kernel by itself gets you nowhere. To get a working system you
need a shell, compilers, a library etc. These are separate parts and may
be under a stricter (or even looser) copyright. Most of the tools used
with linux are GNU software and are under the GNU copyleft. These tools
aren't in the distribution - ask me (or GNU) for more info.

<http://ftp.funet.fi/pub/linux/historical/kernel/old-versions/RELNOTES-0.01>
>>
>>61295868
It's actually the other way around, anon.
>>
>>61295961
Learn assembly faggot
>>
>>61295985
musl c
busybox
clang

Sup
>>
>>61296019
Done.
What now?
>>
>>61295903
What a shit argument. We should call a system gnu/Linux even if it doesn't have gnu because Linux is only a kernel?

In my operating systems course we sure covered mainly kernel features. Same as on the osdev wiki, stop trying to shill your own definition of OS.
>>
>>61296021
Are you stupid? Why do you keep posting these programs? They're nice to have, but how's that related to the GNU/Linux naming controverse?
>>
>>61295898
That's just it, they're not being forced to use proprietary software, they're _persuaded_ to do so by deception and lies. The herd mentality comes into play when they are presented with the facts and decide to ignore them "because everyone else is doing it".
>>
>>61295903
GNU isn't even software. It's a fucking license. Linux is at least a piece of software.
>>
>>61296070
>What a shit argument. We should call a system gnu/Linux even if it doesn't have gnu because Linux is only a kernel?
Nobody said that. You should call the combination of the GNU os with Linux call GNU/Linux, because that's what it is. That's all. You can the combination of musl c. busybox, clang and Linux call whatever you want ("Linux" would still be wrong, but who cares).
>>
>>61296081
musl is a replacement C lib
Busybox is a replacement userland
clang is a replacement compiler
I dont need gnu

Give it a year and all those precious gcc extensions(read cancer) will be ported and clang can build the kernel.

I dont see how you freetards are all for ONE SOURCE of kernel compilation but everything else is "FORK IT NUB LOL"
>>
File: 1476578625236.jpg (607KB, 1880x1634px) Image search: [Google]
1476578625236.jpg
607KB, 1880x1634px
>>61296105
*GPL* is a License. *GNU* is an operating system, developed by *The GNU Project*.
>>
>>61295539
Some koolaid drinker asks simple question, only gets one meme any before the "friendly" thread is derailed by irrelevant sperging.
Thanks gnu.

Pretty much any distro. If you aren't going to be using the system for much else I would suggest a more lightweight distro for less attack surface.
>>
>>61296030
Make your own firmware duh
>>
>>61296117
The tools you posted may not have been developed by the GNU project, but they are still very heavily based on those that were. Therefore, the GNU project is indirectly a major contributor even to a system that does not contain any actual GNU tools and should be credited at least partially. Personally, I suggest the name "GNU-inspired system with Linux", or "GNU-like system".
>>
>>61296149
>buhuu GNU is so annoying
Guess why you even have a system including free software to shitpost about ITT.
>>
>>61296109
This in response to a post pointing out how cherry picking one component just because it is your favorite is doing a disservice to all the others. There is no reason for a prefix at all!
>>
>>61296173
But you're wrong retard.
So Linux should be called "A MacOS inspired system with Windows NT"
>>
>>61296149
>Teaching truth is derailing
All I see are posts explaining GNU/Linux and some fag who spergs about "gnushit".
>>
>>61296191
You don't *prefix* here. You combine two systems.
>>
>>61296176
Because of America's weird monopoly rules. Learn some history. The gnu project was a product of the times, not some innovative counter culture movement.
>>
>>61296200
Linux should be called "a kernel that is often used in conjunction with the GNU system".
GNU/Linux should be called "a UNIX-inspired system comprised of the GNU system plus Linux, the kernel".
>>
>>61296096
maybe they just don't care retard
>>
File: 1491861140050.png (19KB, 802x403px) Image search: [Google]
1491861140050.png
19KB, 802x403px
What are some cool terminal commands?
>>
>>61296173
You idiot, they are all based on Unix.
>>
>>61296173
>even though i dont use any products from the gnu team,since its relatively loosly based on them,you should give them credit,despite not having any actual code from the gnu project
Do you know how retarded you sound? So since program A does Thing B,program B does thing B a differfent way,but its the same/
Damn son what koolaid are you on
>>
>>61296233
What about embedded systems that use the linux kernel? Did you forget those?
Why do we not name all the ones that can be used with linux instead/
So we have 50 programs that use the linux kernel so we list all 50?
Do you know how retard dly gnu radical you sound?
How much does rms pay you to eat your toe fungus?
>>
>>61295903
>LOC
>important
There would be no GNU without Linux, while the opposite is not quite the same.
>>
>>61296021
$ echo axxx bxx cx | sed 's/\b[a-z]/<&>/g'
<a>xxx <b>xx <c>x
$ echo axxx bxx cx | busybox sed 's/\b[a-z]/<&>/g'
<a><x><x><x> <b><x><x> <c><x>
$
>>
File: 2017-07-09-195044_677x416_scrot.png (16KB, 677x416px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-09-195044_677x416_scrot.png
16KB, 677x416px
>>61296306
Look at me i can cherry pick situations which never happen in actual use.
>>
im pretty sure no one actually cares about gnu
>>
>>61296302
You sure? I thought gnu project already existed when Linus got his kernel booting hence why he grabbed it as a userspace. And if he used it because it was free others probably would have to.
>>
>>61296329
$ uname -o
GNU/Linux
$ busybox uname -o
GNU/Linux
$
>>
>>61296306
it's more likely gnu is breaking posix standards than busybox
>>
>>61296380
Guess who gave POSIX the name POSIX.
>>
>>61296380
do you even regex m8
>>
>>61296384
IEEE?
>>
>>61296384
Richard! They are still correct though.
>>
>>61296419
https://stallman.org/articles/posix.html
>>
>>61296283
Those are unnamed systems, or "linux-based embedded systems" but not "Linux", since Linux is just the kernel.
>>
File: 1485403244310.jpg (62KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
1485403244310.jpg
62KB, 800x533px
Thoughts on systemd?
>>
discard flag or periodic fstrim?
>>
>>61296450
>unnamed systems
Wew. You are not very in touch with reality are you?
>>
>>61296465
Systemd/GNU/Linux* or as I've recently taken to calling it, SGL.
>>
>>61296238
They should, if they value their freedom.
>>
>>61296486
Why wouldn't you use discard?

>>61296465
Scary.
>>
>>61296486
fstrim
>>
>>61296497
Only the useless are truly free.
>>
>>61296497
I use a mac and my freedom is fine but thanks for the useless advice
>>
>>61296502
I leave my system running for months on end.I dont remount it ever...Having that much shit backed up isnt healthy for the ssd.Having a weekly scron job to fstrim is way more useable
>>
>>61296519
enjoy ur botnet
>>
>>61296524
What? Discard immediately trims after file deletion.
>>
>>61296243
: > file

Like touch. Also nice:

> file

Overwrites file with nothing.
>>
>>61296519
Do you have the freedom to run, study, modify, share and redistribute the software that you use?
>>
>>61296545
> file also creates a file.
>>
>>61296561
Who are you quoting
>>
>>61296243
Not a command but I learned that if you press Ctrl+X+E in a terminal it opens your $EDITOR, that's nothing special but if you write something in the prompt and then press Ctrl+X+E it it will open the editor and insert what you had typed in your prompt, pretty neat.
>>
>>61296592
This is nice, thanks for sharing.
>>
>>61296592
And if you save it and quit the shell executes it, important point!
>>
>>61296525
i dont even have one

>>61296555
i have the freedom to spend my time doing what i enjoy instead of compiling terminal pictures of animes
>>
>>61296626
What if I enjoy compiling terminal pictures of animes?
>>
>>61296610
I forgot to mention when you close the editor it will execute the command you edited, it's cool for long commands or when you want to save the command to a file and execute it.
>>
>>61296243
on bash
# Alt+s: run previous cmd as super user.
bind '"\es":"sudo !!\C-m"
# Alt+l: suffix "| less" and run.
bind '"\el":"\C-e | less\C-m"'
>>
>>61296635
then you are useless and will probably never have a meaningful life to be desu
>>
>>61296658
first bind lost a '
>>
File: forgotten.jpg (51KB, 620x455px) Image search: [Google]
forgotten.jpg
51KB, 620x455px
>Running mate desktop
>Last week ran gksudo pluma (text editor)
>Wrote file
>Saved it

I want to remember what it was and/or where I saved it? Are there records I can look up?
>>
>>61296702
Probably / or /root
>>
>>61296243
>implying

trap 'printf "\033[38;5;29m>implying %s\033[m\n" "${BASH_COMMAND}"' ERR

Prints the faulty command as:
>implying mc file_a file_b
>implying sl

Actually informative version, which prints the exit code:
trap 'printf "\033[38;5;29m>implying %d\033[m\n" "${?}"' ERR
>>
>>61296720
>exit code
I had that too in the beginning, but it's just too much spam. I just use echo $?
>>
>>61296715
It wasn't in the root directory. I do remember that much.
>>
>>61296465
better than windows/10
>>
File: remote.jpg (64KB, 1300x971px) Image search: [Google]
remote.jpg
64KB, 1300x971px
>>61286877

Got no answer in the last thread so reposting in a different time zone.

Also the hardware is not a problem its the software I'm looking for.
>>
>>61296465
Why does he just LOOK like the spawn of satan? Surely it can't just be a coincidence.
How can someone be both the creator of systemd and also make me feel like part of my soul is being devoured every time I see a photo of him?

There has to be a connection.
>>
>>61296384
I did.
Fred Posix.
>>
>>61296384
Posix Torvalds.
>>
now that grsec is dead, how do do secure your system?
>>
>>61297177
>now that grsec is dead, how do do secure your system?

Unplug it from the internet and go outside.
>>
https://diafygi.github.io/gnu-pricing/website/
>>
>>61297231
>outside
It's shite.
>>
>>61297266
Another solution is to stop being entitled to computer security.
>>
>>61297278
Nice try, NSA.
>>
>>61297177
apparmour
>>
>>61297280
>Nice try, NSA.
Nope, I frequent the deepweb and I can tell you that security is only good until you're targeted. Drug marketplaces get hacked all the time, also Tumblers I guess.
>>
>>61297306
>hacked
cracked*
>>
>>61297314
Same thing.
>>
>>61297314
>cracked
Scripted*
>>
>>61297327
You're talking about breaking security, so it's cracking.
>>
>>61297349
Oh, whatever.
>>
>>61297306
>I frequent the deepweb
cool, do you use arch too?
>>
>>61297248
>I really respect Richard for his cutthroat business strategy.
>-Larry Ellison, Oracle
teeheehee
>>
>>61297362
>do you use arch too?

Yes! How did you know?
>>
>>61297362
Not him, but I use Arch.
>>
File: 1483467365044.png (78KB, 368x196px) Image search: [Google]
1483467365044.png
78KB, 368x196px
Install Devuan GNU+Linux
https://devuan.org/
>>
>>61297409
Is there a list anywhere of what they have changed with respect to debian?
>>
>>61297409
packages are too old
>>
>>61297481
https://devuan.org/os/source-code
>Each package that is changed from Debian has its own repository on the Gitlab, in the devuan-packages group.
https://git.devuan.org/devuan-packages
>>
>>61297481
no systemd
>>
>>61297507
When will this stupid meme die? ;_;
>>
>>61297527
It dies a little each time you post a refutation, and gains strength when you express incredulity.
>>
>>61297512
>https://git.devuan.org/devuan-packages
Thanks!
>>
>when you accidently stdout a binary
Damn, I wished there would be a warning...
>>
What are some recommended browsers with vim-like keybindings? I was using Chrome on Windows with cVim, currently using FF with vimperator. It's not bad, but i'm interested in knowing if there are other nice lightweight options out here
>>
>>61297911
vimfx just gives you vimkeys, i like it
>>
You guys are arguing like gigantic fucking faggots, holy shit.
>>
>>61295903
KDE/Linux
>>
>>61298137
stop mentioning the kernel already
look at android, they do it right
>>
>>61295389
Help friends. I'm trying to get this wifi adapter to work on Ubuntu

can anyone help me find a driver for this?

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/USBAC53/
>>
https://www.jwz.org/hacks/why-cooperation-with-rms-is-impossible.mp3
>>
>>61298164
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=179044
>>
>>61298237
Sounds like he is heavily influenced by the manson family.
>>
>>61297409
I get the feeling you made that logo to be insulting somehow, but I gotta say I'm actually linking it.
>>
>>61298237
Best song I've ever heard in my life
>>
File: 1490853992374.png (55KB, 601x526px) Image search: [Google]
1490853992374.png
55KB, 601x526px
>>61298237
>this guy again
https://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/download.html
>>
File: 1468897505253.jpg (51KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
1468897505253.jpg
51KB, 360x360px
DPKG IS FUCKED.

Whenever i try to run apt the piece of shit fails mid-work and tells me that DPKG exited unexpectedly.

I cant do fucking jackshit, it tells me that samba fucked up DPKG and when i try to purge it apt wont do shit.

Please help me
>>
File: timebomb.png (6KB, 352x143px) Image search: [Google]
timebomb.png
6KB, 352x143px
>>61298384
I remember this meme. The first timebomb on Debian.
>>
>>61298392
samba always breaks fucking everything
>>
>>61298392
>another pic with that white line at the bottom
this shit is scary
>>
>>61298237
Idk why but this made me kek so hard
>>
>>61298392
If you want help you are going to have to post the actual error message. maybe run
sudo apt -f  install 2>&1 | tee | nc termbin.com 9999
and then post the output here, if you can't figure out how to copy paste.
>>
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to corect the problem.
>>
give me one reason not to switch to programming on my PC completely
>>61298533
>>
>>61298600
Mmhmm, and what error does that command give?
>>
>>61298632
As opposed to what? I hope you aren't implying that PC=Windows
>>
>>61298658
https://pastebin.com/gYfc9cpA
>>
>>61297409
>muh systemd boogeyman
>>
>>61298712
http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
>>
>>61298692
Lol, one day difference in the deps, thats weird. What does:
apt-cache policy samba-libs:amd64 samba-dsdb-modules

Also, aptitude might have more useful resolution options if you can handle the interface.
>>
>>61298766
samba-libs:
Installed: 2:4.5.8+dfsg-0ubuntu0.17.04.2
Candidate: 2:4.5.8+dfsg-0ubuntu0.17.04.3
Version table:
2:4.5.8+dfsg-0ubuntu0.17.04.3 500
500 http://mx.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu zesty-updates/main amd64 Packages
500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu zesty-security/main amd64 Packages
*** 2:4.5.8+dfsg-0ubuntu0.17.04.2 100
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
2:4.5.4+dfsg-1ubuntu2 500
500 http://mx.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu zesty/main amd64 Packages
samba-dsdb-modules:
Installed: 2:4.5.8+dfsg-0ubuntu0.17.04.3
Candidate: 2:4.5.8+dfsg-0ubuntu0.17.04.3
Version table:
*** 2:4.5.8+dfsg-0ubuntu0.17.04.3 500
500 http://mx.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu zesty-updates/main amd64 Packages
500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu zesty-security/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
2:4.5.4+dfsg-1ubuntu2 500
500 http://mx.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu zesty/main amd64 Packages
>>
How do I install these new icecat versions on Ubuntu?
>>
>>61297507
then upgrade to the testing branch
>>
>>61298793
>Installed: 2:4.5.8+dfsg-0ubuntu0.17.04.2
>Candidate: 2:4.5.8+dfsg-0ubuntu0.17.04.3
>.<
It says a new version is available, why doesn't it just upgrade that first?
Try
sudo apt install {samba-common,samba-libs,libwbclient0}=2:4.5.8+dfsg-0ubuntu0.17.04.3

If that gives the same "configure stuff first" error try going to a new directory and running it again but using apt-get download instead of apt install and then
sudo dpkg -i .*deb
to install the downloaded pacakges. Then the the dpkg configure thing and apt -f thing.
>>
File: 1496853622446.png (602KB, 963x720px) Image search: [Google]
1496853622446.png
602KB, 963x720px
How likely is it that keyboards like this >>61295961 are spying on people?
>>
>>61298754
>"Systemd? More like Shit-stemd"
Aaand dropped. Top tier comedy though top fuckig kek.
>>
>>61298894
95%
>>
>>61298880
>.*deb
./*deb
Whoops.
>>
>>61298904
really?
>>
>>61298894
0.01%
How would they be exfiltrating the data?
>>
>>61298919
no
>>
>>61298671
Yeah that's what I implied
>>
>>61295389
how do I revert all the configs for a file to default?
my apache web server is being retarded and I assume it's from a config file getting mangled after an update
>>
>>61298303
thank you. i will work on setting it up now.

goodbye friend.
>>
>>61298975
Well don't you feel silly
>>
File: 1482663910451.jpg (239KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1482663910451.jpg
239KB, 1280x960px
>>61298712
>create a user called "0pointer" on a system with systemd
>tfw root
>tfw not a bug
>>
>>61299109
Read carefully why you're stupid: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/6237
>>
>>61298923
is it not possible?
>>
Hello /g/ents,
First hats off to the guys developing mpv, second Red Hat made Linux commercially a success so great consideration for them on _that_, third fuck Red Hat as a company and business.

So I am *stuck* with a Fedora workstation and I needed to watch a movie in a non wholly free format (mp4) I did the rpmfusion thingy and installed _all_ the packages others users were recomending. The GNOME video player (Totem I Think) were complaining about missing a mp4 aac h264 codec. I insalled mpv and it worked, anyone cares how to make Totem work or why it was happening ?
>>
File: 1497151919538.jpg (75KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1497151919538.jpg
75KB, 500x500px
What is the best distro ever? I'd like to install it and go on with my life.
>>
>>61299183
Gentoo
>>
>>61299211
> calls itself "gentoo linux"
> recommends nonfree software
no
>>
>>61299128
You are stupid for parroting denials instead of looking at actual potential fuckups due to that totally non-intuitive behaviour. Since a lot of other tools and libraries don't enforce the "no digits as first char" behaviour it is entirely possible that some random sysadmin won't know about this.
* sysadmin creates service file to run service handling user input, uses the User= directive to reduce possible fallout from that service being exploited
* sysadmin automatically creates service files for new users for whatever reason.
It's all well and good to say "well they should have tested it more, they are stupid" but you should be expecting stupid people to use your software.
If someone goes to the effort of adding the User= directive it should be blatantly clear that they want to change the user the service runs at to something other than root, running as root here is the wrong behaviour. Printing an error message informing the user of the malformed input is the correct behaviour.
Lennart may be correct in saying that it isn't a zero day but it is certainly a bug.
>>
>>61295389
Is this GNU/Tattoo on her GNU/Boobs real
>>
>>61299183
ubuntu christian edition
>>
whats all the fuzz about systemd?
its free software so change it or dont use it???
>>
>>61298976
Grab the skeleton copy
>>
>>61299183
Just do what everyone does an go on a multi-year search for the best distro, rotating through ubuntu, debian, arch, gentoo, slack, void, solus, mint, and then finally realizing you dont have time to dick around with stupid OS shit and you reinstall Ubuntu and get on with your life
>>
>>61299268
Why bother trying to suggest a "solution" without trying to understand the topic?
>>
>>61299227
Lennart,admitting he was wrong?
BAHAHAHHAHA
>>
>>61299292
>ubuntu
lel
>>
>>61299183
source mage
>>
>>61299183
source mage
>>
>>61299183
Source Mage GNU/Linux
>>
>>61295389
Is it possible for a hardware driver to be malicious. I installed a printer driver off brothers website and I think the CIA is trying to take over my computer using a rouge driver because they hijacked my HTTP while downloading it or they redirected me to a fake website that looked exactly like brother website.
>>
>>61299385
>not using https
>>
>>61299385
Yes it is.

>I think the CIA is trying to take over my computer
Why would they do that?
>>
inb4 ebin terry memes
>>
>>61299397
>>61299412
The support page where you download the drivers is HTTP only.
>>
>>61299183
Not joking in the slightest anon, the answer you're looking for is definitely going to be a "nix-like distro". Current options include NixOS and GuixSD.

They might not be ready yet for casual useage, but keep them in mind.
If you don't know what these distros are, basically what you do with them is configure it once and you're set for life. These distros guarantee reproducible systems, meaning as long as you move the config file(s) to a new machine it'll set up all the system software and configure it for you identically to your old machine.
They also never pick up any "cruft" over time from installing/uninstalling software and will be as fresh as a brand new install always.

I would seriously bet that this sort of package management is going to be the future of GNU/Linux distros and we'll start seeing a lot more nix-like distros pop up in the next decade.
>>
>>61299412
>>61299431
The CIA has been fucking with my head, they're out to get me. Terry neither this is a joke.
>>
>>61299470
Spam them with pictures of you butthole. That'll scare them off.
Also, are you american? Isn't the cia supposed to not operate domestically?
>>
>>61299528
>not operate domestically
On paper
>>
>>61299528
>>61299540
The CIA is powerful and will get you if given the chance.
>>
>>61296702
>>61296715
>>61296758

>Found the file and removed it
>Fixed

Never found a history function though which I guess is ok.
>Note to self
>Make notes
>>
File: 1496328995365.jpg (166KB, 738x729px) Image search: [Google]
1496328995365.jpg
166KB, 738x729px
>>61295623
I've been using Microsoft NT with Windows or as I've been calling it Windows/NT or Windows+NT

See how stupid that sounds? Call it by its real name.

GNU
>>
How do you get Devuan unstable?
>>
>>61300690
Assuming it is the same as debian (which it should be) you install it normally you can then in /etc/apt/sources.list (and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*) change the field after the url in each line starting with deb to unstable. It will probably be either stable, ceres or ascii ootb. Then do apt update and apt dist-upgrade.
>>
Is there a way to roll back updates on (l)ubuntu? It is pretty shit if updates are a one way street way and you have to play russian roulette everytime

I've just installed lubuntu 16.04, on a reboot everything worked fine (except for sound, but I don't expect alsa to work ootb). It presented the updates dialog and I clicked just fmsu sempay, then proceeded to fine tune the rest of a system. A reboot later my wifi is gone.

I suspect update because I first installed Debian 9 and I did not have wifi at all, guessed a firmware update was the culprit. On a related note, how to force loonix to use older firmware?
>>
>>61297757
^C
$ clear
>>
>>61298823
Go to the GNU FTP mirror, download the binary, drop it in the $PATH directory of your choice.
>>
How do you pronounce "Gentoo"?
>"djen too" (like in "Java") or "ghen too" (like in ".gif")?
>stress first or second syllable?
>>
>>61300911
It doesn't help. That's the point.
>>
>>61300905
https://askubuntu.com/questions/499871/is-there-ubuntus-analogue-of-snapshot-debian-org
Apparantly not. Although I will say that having a kneejerk reaction of wanting to rollback when something stups working instead of looking onto why something stops working makes you look stupid.
>>
>>61300940
So get used to hexdumping literally everything from now on, instead.
>>
>>61300940
Doesn't help with what?

>>61300934
>"ghen too" (like in ".gif")?
some people actually pronounce gif with a soft G.
>>
>>61300934
djen too
>>
>>61300950
>gif with a soft G.
That is madness. Do they also call the GNU Image Manipulation Program "Djimp"?
>>
>>61300969
Yes, they also say jraphics as well.
>>
>>61300981
>>61300969
top jej
>>
>>61300986
nah son that's >top geg
>>
>>61300943
I've been doing this dance for days now, all evidence points to ralink3290 wifi is broken on newish linux. How am I supposed to troubleshoot my problem if not for observing every little change I made? Why is this kneejerk?
>>
what is this connection error bullshit latly?
how am I suppost to post code on a tech board when everything triggers some gay ass spam filter REEEE
>>
File: 4838438551_17e90c8a0c_z.jpg (163KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
4838438551_17e90c8a0c_z.jpg
163KB, 640x427px
>>61300981
Is this a giraffic?
>>
Hello, /g/. I like creating tiny extensions and themes for desktop environments. Problem is, I need to have all of the DEs installed. Should I keep my main setup clean and bloat a VM with the DEs or just install everything on my main install and switch through login manager.
>>
>>61301035
1 vm with 1 de
don't mix that shit, it will most likly break
>>
>>61300969
Couldn't because GNU is pronounced like gnu the antelope.
>>
>>61301022
Are you honestly surprised that this shit plagues this site after Hiromouto or whatever his name is took over?
This slant eyed nigger has a rep for doing precisely that so you get a pass™.
Remember few weeks ago when only pass users could post? This wasn't accidental.
>>
>>61301063
I think thats cloudflare or something. You can't post stupid things like ls -l, or /etc/something on many chans without triggering errors (I used code tags to post these).
>>
>>61301046
Thanks, where do I even begin? I've never used a VM. Virtualbox and some easy to install distributions for each DE?
>>
>>61301112
qemu is 1337, virtualbox is good enough and piss easy. You literally "insert" a distro.iso and press play.
>>
File: 8510599356628226.jpg (5KB, 279x237px) Image search: [Google]
8510599356628226.jpg
5KB, 279x237px
>plug usb into virtualbox
>install linux on it
>restart host system and boot from that usb
perfect plan but now that i think about it, the hardware will be different, will this work?
>>
>>61301121
Better get a complete GNU/Linux distro and wipe Windows completly.
>>
>>61300993
>all evidence points
Have you even looked at the logs?
Also use udevadm to find out about firmware requests and where they are served from. Grab an old version of the package from the previous distro virsion, pull the firmware out and replace.
>>
>>61301046
Why not just use containers and different vtys? Using vms seems like a bit much.
>>
>>61301048
"Graphics" is also not pronounced with a soft g.
>>
I'm thinking about making a white noise machine using the cheapest possible raspberry/orange pi board, usb to 3.5mm jack adapter and some low powered speakers. I need it because my tinnitus is killing me. What I wanna do is make a script in Linux that will automatically play an audio file when I boot the machine up. Is this as simple as I think or is my plan shit?
>>
>>61301168

Making it do something (play a file after boot) is simple.
>>
>>61301121
GNU/Linux deals fine with being thrown on different hardware.
There is no Microsoft® Genuine Windows® Licence™ shit tying to it to your motherboard, and most distros come will all of the drivers you would likely need pre-installed.
>>
>>61301181
Okay, does anyone know if the audio/video port on these boards is the regular 3.5mm jack or something like else? I can't find the information online.
>>
sudo apt-get install oneko
>>
Can i use linux via usb on virtual machine?
>>
File: 1473641086406.jpg (155KB, 709x708px) Image search: [Google]
1473641086406.jpg
155KB, 709x708px
>>61301412
For what purpose?
>>
>>61301412
Yes.

E.g. https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/37779/how-do-i-boot-from-a-liveusb-using-qemu-kvm
>>
>>61301431
>Newfag here learning to use gnu/linux
>have ubuntu and kali iso's dloaded on windows
>>
>>61301482
who are you quoting?
>>
>>61301482
Maybe install Virtualbox and try em iso's with that.
>>
>>61301305
apart from fstab in the base system and fstab and the old cached udev rules before syd.
>>
File: plastic_nee_san_008.jpg (172KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
plastic_nee_san_008.jpg
172KB, 720x720px
If I install a new desktop environment, do the programs from the old one get deinstalled? Are any programs that I installed after the desktop environment kept (e.g. does syncthing stay installed, if it's not part of GNOME and I switch from GNOME to something else that doesn't have it)?

Are any settings kept? For example, do I have to type in my WLAN settings again?
If the new DE already has a program by default that I installed (like aforementioned syncthing), will it overwrite my settings and I have to set everything up again?

Can you have tiling windows in window managers not specifically made for tiling (.e.g, in KDE, instead of using i3)?
>>
>>61302089
Installing a new DE should not fuck up any other ones installed via de-installation or otherwise.
Some settings, like wifi, will carry over (because your DE just sets the settings for wpa_supplicant) but others that have to do with graphics or the desktop will not.
You can use different window managers than the default with DEs. It might be troublesome though ibk.
>>
>>61299183
Ubuntu.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170710_123453.jpg (309KB, 3840x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170710_123453.jpg
309KB, 3840x1080px
>>61301121
looks like everything works fine, posting from that usb

1. what driver should i use? selected one? what about that amd firmware?
2. why desktop on different monitors is treated like two different folders? if i drag icon from one monitor and drag to other it asks me if it should be copied or moved, even if it is the same folder
>>
File: images.png (4KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
4KB, 225x225px
Kind of mildly infuriated at my set-up now, for a weird reason. I'm just gonna rant a bit.

On my previous laptop, an H Pavilion something something, I used to mess around with GNU/Linux just to learn, changing whatever and fucking shit up. I knew at the time that it was not going to be used much longer. The last thing I did was to install Debian and try to make Gnome look not-shitty, so that it could be used with my TV to watch series. I was kinda succesful, and had it standing around, but years of use and carrying in backpacks along with Free Software made it run hot as an oven and blow its fan really loud.

Then I got a mbpr, which I didn't want to potentially "ruin" with my limited LiGNUx skills. New workhorse. I also got an x200 which I did want to potentially ruin, and I have had lots of fun with that one. Neither blew its fan like crazy.

>fast forward to now
I've installed Fedora on my x200, and am dual booting Fedora and macOS on the mbpr. I just really liked Fedora Scientific, but maybe I should change. Anyway, the x200 unsurprisingly plays nicest with this distro, and will shutdown and boot without a fuss, while my macbook takes a while to do both. Bla bla, I'll get to the point
NEITHER ONE HIBERNATES
If the mbpr goes into hibernation, it just reboots instead, causing me to lose my session. This is super infuriating whenever I run out of battery. The x200 does the same thing, you can audibly hear it shut down "for real" when it is sleeping but finally runs out of battery.

In short, I have had a real issue with both these laptops and running out of battery, because evidently hibernation is not set up in Fedora.

Cont'd
>>
is it considered safe to run pip update with sudo
sudo pip install --update pip

?
>>
File: computer_arch_01-300x225.jpg (17KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
computer_arch_01-300x225.jpg
17KB, 300x225px
>>61302658
Meanwhile, my HP has been sitting in a damp basement for a couple of years, not made a peep since I packed it away. I probably just closed the lid and said goodbye.
I decided to have a look at the HP again yesterday, and was stunned. The battery was dead, no surprise, so I had to put in the charger to fire it up. But then, guess what happened!
IT BOOTED STRAIGHT INTO MY PREVIOUS SESSION.
A years-old browsing session, terminal prompt where I must have been trying to fix some audio issue, youtube guides for learning Git. It all just showed up when I booted.

What the hell, Fedora? Is my choice of distro the problem?
>>
>>61299716
Use Emacs.
>>
I am having so many issues installing linux on my thinkpad 11e. I have tried ubuntu, mint, crunchbang, and manjaro. Does anyone know if its possible?
Manufacturer LENOVO
Model 20ED001HUS (Socket FT3b)
Version SDK0J40697 WIN
Chipset Vendor AMD
Chipset Model K16 IMC
Chipset Revision 00
Southbridge Vendor AMD
Southbridge Model Kabini FCH
Southbridge Revision 8.2
BIOS
Brand LENOVO
Version JIET22WW (1.07 )
Date 7/24/2015
>>
>>61302089
>do the programs from the old one get deinstalled?

no, no current programs are uninstalled, this can come off as a benefit for obvious reasons but if you install a de that has a lot of the generic system settings programs you can end up with almost exact duplicates of the same things in your startup menu, or in other cases, have multiple programs named the same but function differently (i.e., the "system settings" program from lxqt is going to be very different from the "system settings" program provided by gnome)

>Are any settings kept? For example, do I have to type in my WLAN settings again?

individual settings for programs are kept (which usually includes network managers) but some de settings are going to be too exclusive to be carried over, in general it should just werk

>will it overwrite my settings and I have to set everything up again?

shouldn't ever do this

>Can you have tiling windows in window managers not specifically made for tiling (.e.g, in KDE, instead of using i3)?

as the other guy mentions you can use tiling window managers in other des but it's not usually supported or documented anywhere, in general if the de you want has a window manager that doesn't do tiling well you're usually shit out of luck

though for the bigger des (kde, gnome, etc) you *might* be able to find a tiling wm addon somewhere
>>
>>61302724
>ut if you install a de that has a lot of the generic system settings programs you can end up with almost exact duplicates of the same things in your startup menu, or in other cases, have multiple programs named the same but function differently
That sounds horrifying. Is there a quick way to clean those up, i.e. remove all programs of a desktop environment? Or is reinstalling the whole distribution the only way to do this quickly?
>>
>>61302669
Did you run the original pip install with sudo? Because there was no reason to.
>>
>>61302674
LOL, too many words.
>>
>>61302658
>>61302674
>>61302781
TL;DR:
>old HP laptop with debian has been in basement for years
>hibernation worked through all that time, and the session restarted flawlessly yesterday
>meanwhile, mbpr and x200 running Fedora are incapable of hibernating

Why?? Is Fedora the problem?
>>
>>61302710
Anyone please, ive been trying for ages
>>
>>61302750

if you decide to stick to one de you can uninstall the other which would uninstall all the other generic system programs for the de you're uninstalling

otherwise you can look up at how the menu(s) work for your chosen de, usually the menu entries are just symlinks somewhere on the system - a point about menus is some menus will handle it better, kde's menu for instance offers all its programs in an accessible place while also offering all the others if you start digging around while something like lxqt's menu is going to be more win9k and just list everything installed

if you really don't want, say, lxqt's (for example) sparse system settings (and in general they all modify the same settings, you only need one 'system settings' program) you can just remove the individual packages that provide those programs using your package manager, some care should be taken to not let the package manager auto remove the rest of lxqt through dependencies - try to find out how to remove packages without removing dependencies on your distro

in general trying to do something about it manually is a pain in the arse but it shouldn't be that big of a deal unless you want to install, say, lxde, lxqt, mate, and xfce and some other smaller des all at the same time
>>
>>61302658
>>61302674
>>61302826

batteries will generally drain even when not in use but are you sure you're using hibernate (suspend to disk) on fedora and not suspend (suspend to ram)? I can say from experience fedora supports hibernate on an x200 and you can remove the battery and it all works as you'd expect

the reason your old debian install works is because it's probably from before systemd took over power functions, on fedora you'll have to configure hibernate through systemctl (systemctl hibernate) whereas on distros before this you could use pm-utils and get pm-hibernate, both will be configured differently

you'll also need a swap partition (or file) that is as big as your ram, afaik fedora doesn't create one as big as your ram by default so if you only have a small swap partition you'll need to look at setting up a swap file or expanding the swap partiton
>>
>>61302826
No. Hibernation is dodgy on Linux because mobo devs don't code to it and their aren't enough Linux devs who care. My previous mobo hibernated fine but my current one doesn't. Try suspending?
If it goes into hibernation (and you have enough swap) but on restart just starts again, that's something to look into.
>>
>>61302710
>>61302872

can't really help if you don't explain what your problem is, google suggests you *should* be able to install linux but lenovo laptops sometimes vary depending on specific

the usual advice is to use a distro that has a fairly recent kernel (fedora is usually fairly up to date) and to disable secure boot in the bios

just googling 'thinkpad 11e linux' gives a dozen threads of people installing linux to the device
>>
>>61302940
The problem is that there are several different Thinkpad 11e's. I have tried every solution that I have found on forums but still it wont work, I can boot into a live disk no problem, but the moment I click install, it starts shitting. I don't know the exact error off hand, but maybe those would be useful.. So ill report back at a later date I suppose.
>>
>>61303051
Since you don't have a lot of information, one shot in the dark could be related to the way you prepare your installation media. What do you use for creating it?
>>
>>61302911
I have KDE set up to hibernate at a certain battery charge, but instead my macbook just reboots, every time. Sounds like the swap partition is a good place to start, but is it enough to make sure it is big enough? It seems like more configuration would be needed.
>>
Can't seem to suppress output from cmus-remote by sending it to /dev/null. Any way to get around this?
>>
>>61303182

well suspend to disk writes your memory to the swap partition so if your swap partition isn't at least the size of your memory it's probably going to fail

can't say for kde but hibernate on the x200 should *definitely* work and I'd be surprised if the mbp doesn't work, just google around for configuring hibernate on kde/systemd/fedora
>>
>>61303326
Alright, will do. Thanks for tolerating my rant!
>>
>>61295389
yeah I really wanna cum on that gnu
>>
Anyone know something about a problem with Self-destructing cookies, on FF, on Arch?
I use the addon on my OpenSUSE install with no problems at all, but on Arch I can't load the fucking icon or put the addon on a toolbar.
Notifications, also, they only show up soon as I open the browser then not anymore.

Obviously both notifications and icon are enabled on the preferences, just not working.

Usually I wouldn't mind going to about:addons if I needed to change something, but Self-destructing cookies is having conflict with some other addon I have, and I only managed to make it work (functions, not the menu and notifications) if I turn all the other ones off.

Now I want to turn them back one by one to find out which one's causing the conflict, but it's a pain in the ass without the Self-destructing cookies icon in my toolbar so I can see when it stops working.

It's the only addon with this icon problem, all other are fine.
>>
>>61301168
>tinnitus
Just wear ear plugs.
>>
Does anyone know if I can have the Firefox tabs and titlebar merged like in Windows?
Running GNOME, that is.
>>
>>61295607
He asked for a Linux distro which is an OS using the Linux kernel. This can also include OSes that use BSD, busybox... Userland.
I support the userland/kernel notation though.
>>
File: 1498614765215.webm (3MB, 720x900px) Image search: [Google]
1498614765215.webm
3MB, 720x900px
How should i learn containerization (docker etc)?
>>
>>61304037
https://addons.mozilla.org/EN-us/firefox/addon/htitle/

It says discontinued but I think it still works, just test it yourself.
>>
just used a rpl tool for replacing 48 occurences of subfigure with subfloat in my tex document instead of doing it manually

am i a linux wizard now?
>>
>>61304403
Why did you not just use sed?
>>
>>61304488
rpl's more specific to what i wanted to do anyways. i'm thinking about learning perl so maybe i'll use that next time
>>
Ar there any music players that hav good visualizers I can play in full screen other than ncmpcpp?
>>
What are the best programs to track all outgoing packets and connections?
>>
File: 1490936456921.jpg (37KB, 564x564px) Image search: [Google]
1490936456921.jpg
37KB, 564x564px
>>61305507
Wireshark.
>>
>>61296243
pstree -p
>>
>>61305529
What's cool about wireshark is that unlike other packet capturing programs, I can just add myself to the wireshark group without having to risk giving a program elevated privileges.
>>
>>61304203
who is is that jizm prism
>>
>>61305507
tcpdump
>>
>>61305773
How does it set the NIC in promiscuous mode then?
>>
Why doesn't sudo find programs in my personal ~/bin? How to make it find them?
>>
>>61306133
Add <your home>/bin to
Defaults secure_path
in the sudoers file
>>
>>61306133
sudo executes command as root.

your personal ~/bin directory belongs to the $PATH variable specific to your user, not to the root user.
>>
>>61306184
Thank you.

>>61306191
Just realized that, when I call sudo with env PATH="$PATH", it works.
>>
File: gentoothings.png (328KB, 900x488px) Image search: [Google]
gentoothings.png
328KB, 900x488px
please tell me why I continue to use gentoo
>>
>>61306207
Try calling `sudo -e`. That should pass throught the environment variables.
>>
>>61306264
-e is sudoedit
-E is for env
>>
>>61306286
Oh shit, yeah. It's been a while since I've needed -E, since most of the time i used it was for editing anyway.
>>
Why should I install Linux when I can just run it in a virtual machine (without lag) whenever I need it?
>>
>>61306336
install gentoo
>>
>>61306336
install gentoo
>>
File: 1474121552123.jpg (120KB, 900x601px) Image search: [Google]
1474121552123.jpg
120KB, 900x601px
>>61306336
Freedom
>>
Green is my thread: >>61306471
>>
>>61306336
To try out new distros in a VM on your GNU/Linux host.
>>
>>61306336
Why should I install Windows when I can just run it in a virtual machine (without lag) whenever I need it?
>>
>>61306509
kek
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.