[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>you can make minimum wage by just running a bitcoin miner

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

File: 1456417036_81zkoghf0al._sx466_.jpg (26KB, 466x310px) Image search: [Google]
1456417036_81zkoghf0al._sx466_.jpg
26KB, 466x310px
>you can make minimum wage by just running a bitcoin miner

Why doesn't everyone do this holy shit
>>
1 you need space

2 depending on where u live it's hardly worth it because of electricity prices

3 it's fucking loud!!!
>>
Because not everyone meets the conditions for "can." You need cheap (for actual BTC, free) electricity, cheap/free hardware and luck. These all apply to other cryptocurrencies too.

To learn more, the board for this subject is >>>/biz/.
>>
1. Large upfront investment
2. Low return after mining pool fees and electricity
3. You could probably get a better return investing the money somewhere else
4. Bitcoin isn't real money, it's far less stable than a real currency and your guaranteed minimum wage could one day be worth much less
>>
I spent 1100 on GPUs in the last month, they've made me about $600 so far. Electricity costs has been about $130. Price has gone down but they'll probably pay themselves off by October or something.

I can always sell them for a few bucks then. I have a 1080 ti now though, so that's kinda cool.

If I was crazy and had space or electricity available at scale, I probably would have bought about 50 or 100 GPUs and run a farm. Shame I don't have a garage or something. ROI probably wouldn't be until January at that point (being conservative) but still, you'd be looking at several thousand bucks even then mining altcoins per month with really no effort.

I don't overclock or push the cards (just undervolt). I just run nicehash and walk away. If I went crazy overclocking and had the time to micromanage I'm sure it would make more. Could be something fun for someone that has that kind of time available.
>>
>>61294569
Because I make more money investing in stocks with 0 effort.
>>
>>61294739
Go back to /biz/ retard.
>>
If your goal is to make minimum wage then you probably won't be able to pay for the capital required for it
And even if you did, it's an extremely volatile market and you'll amass a fat pile of sunk costs since you'll burn up your GPUs in the process
>>
>>61294797
>burn up your GPUs
Most retarded thing I've heard all day.
>>
>>61294644
>implying monopoly paper is real money
regardless of what (((they))) told you, cryptocurrency is as good as fiat if not better.
>>
>>61294833
Paper money has worth as long as the government printing it has worth.
Cryptocurrencies have worth as long as people are willing to buy it.

Cryptocurrencies have literally no worth without paper money.
>>
>>61294833
>crypto
>real currency

Meanwhile in reality
https://qz.com/1014559/vitalik-buterin-dead-a-hoax-on-4chan-crashed-ethereums-price/
>>
>>61294884
>Believing that 4chink is relevant in any way , shape, or form
I thought /g/ was for smart people
>>
>competing against chink mining monopolies
Literally pushing a rock uphill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ovdm2yX4MA
>>
>>61294884
That kid is ugly as fuck.
>>
>>61294952
He's Russian.
>>
>>61294884
lel the fucker must've sold everything before posting that fake shit, then bought back it all back when the price had already plummeted
>>
>>61294827

I started mining with my 480 about 3 weeks ago. I've made $80 so far in ETH and DCR. I pay about $0.12KW/h and measured power consumption at the wall to be around 270W, so I think it's worth it.

GPU temp stays around 65C with fans at 1400RPM. I not worried about "burning up my GPU".
>>
>>61294833
>one in every thread
>>
>>61294833
>not investing in gold and silver
>>
>>61295038
$2,000 soon amirite? XDXDXDXD
>>
File: 1499027467053.jpg (54KB, 751x720px) Image search: [Google]
1499027467053.jpg
54KB, 751x720px
>>61295038
>gold
>a good investment
nice try Yehuda
>>
>>61294569
Up front investment is hard to justify unless you already earn enough for minimum wage to be a pittance.
>>
>>61295012
Not him but from what I've understood the real problem is from electromigration on a chip running full tilt 24 hours a day for extended periods of time. This could easily lead to the chip dying early.
>>
LMFAO @ 0.12Kw/h when you could just as easily be mining with high frequency low power on a system on chip @ 0.12w/h

You suck!
>>
>>61295127

Not concerned about it at all. The card will be long obsolete before it becomes an issue. Thermal cycling leading to cracked solder joints with "normal" use is even more of a risk.
>>
>>61295012
how much did you buy the 480 for?
>>
>>61295162

Why would I invest money in a SoC? The point is I'm making $60-70 profit a month with something I already own. I don't even care about the money, but why wouldn't I mine? It really is "free" money. Mining has no impact on my day to day PC use. I only game like 4-6 hours a week.
>>
>>61294827
Been running my GTX 960 24/7 for like two years while I use it as my actual primary desktop GPU. (I'll throttle load if I'm playing some intense 3D game or whatever)

It's been absolutely fine so far.
>>
>>61295201

Thankfully I bought it back in February, so I only paid $207 for it. Didn't learn about mining until recently though (unfortunately).
>>
>>61295393
that's good, you've probably already made ROI
i'd get into this shit and make a mining cluster if i didn't have to build a whole pc for every card in the cluster but it's little nice extra money if you already got the card on your main pc
>>
>>61294569
Because you need to earn actual money, the kind of money you can use to buy a gallon of milk and food; not some worthless numbers on someone else's computer.
>>
if everyone did it your 'minimum wage' would quickly not hold up anymore.
>>
>>61294569
1 china gets the latest miners months before others
2 once you can get your hand on the latest miner, the difficulty already increased
3 if you take your investment, electricity bill, hashes per second, difficulty increase, unreliable currency value, unlikely sudden increase of currency value, you realize you can make a small amount profit out of it after a year or a year and a half IF YOU'RE LUCKY (difficulty usually increases so much, after a year and a half electricity will cost more than the bitcoins mined, based on today's value of the currency).

If you want to make a profit that matters, you have to buy in bulk, at least 10, and pray to the crypto gods that it's value will at least hold.
>>
>>61294964
>he's not as cute as the crazy hacker
Tragic.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.