[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

web asemmly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: 1498586015210.jpg (151KB, 484x465px) Image search: [Google]
1498586015210.jpg
151KB, 484x465px
>WebAssembly or wasm is a low-level bytecode format for in-browser client-side scripting that is more efficient than JavaScript, from which it evolved. Its initial aim is to support compilation from C and C++

has "web browsing" gone too far? Are we giving up on all pretense of our www usage being "worldwide documents" and not totally proprietary manufactured "user experiences" delivered to us as computer programs and sent in increasingly obtuse and ridiculous ways? Isn't wasm just redoing what java applets took care of ten epochs ago? Why do we need this? Please help educate me if i am idiot
>>
>>61294442
Your skepticism is justified. Wasm will be the end of the web
>>
File: 1498734375021.gif (1MB, 620x467px) Image search: [Google]
1498734375021.gif
1MB, 620x467px
>>61294442
fuck webdevs
>>
>>61294442
It will fail because most web devs would be to incompetent to learn something on the level of assembly, and the few that do will be expensive.

It would be great if this took off, but it won't.
>>
>hurr durr java and flash suck
>get rid of java and flash
>if only there were some way to run arbitrary binaries over the internet!
>>
>>61294514
I'll bet it will be possible to compile react native, node.js and fucking electron to webassembly.
>>
File: face aoba disgust34541.png (99KB, 262x274px) Image search: [Google]
face aoba disgust34541.png
99KB, 262x274px
>>61294442
Browsers are the future. On one hand it's a good thing since GUI toolkits are all fucking awful compared to HTML/CSS. On the other it is totally fucking horrifying because it will mean more proprietary back end garbage and obfuscated source code.
>>
>>61294516
Apple and the rest of the big four are currently trying to replace old languages/systems that they do not own with new ones that they do. It's pretty disgusting honestly. It was never about efficiency or even security. Stallman was right.
>>
You guys have no idea what wasm is. It has literally none of the problems you mentioned. Binaries and byte code are not the same thing. Wasm is byte code that's treats the browser as a vm.
>>
>>61294555
Well Java was owned by Oracle and Flash was owned by Adobe, it's just a continuation of the same shit.
>>
File: linux desktop3534.jpg (50KB, 250x397px) Image search: [Google]
linux desktop3534.jpg
50KB, 250x397px
>>61294442
The fetish for "openness" that a lot of people here have is fucking stupid. The internet is now a business. We need less ways for people to fuck with apps so that innovation doesn't get bogged down. The more control programmers have on the back end the better everything will get for everyone else.
>>
The web browser is becoming an app browser and it is glorious.
>>
>>61294529
React Native would be fine if the logic wasn't restricted to a single thread.
>>
>>61294694
Yes but why is wasm necessary. What is wrong with installing or running software or using java applets or even javascript or flash, things we already had in the 90s. Is it just security? I guarantee you your wasm vm or whatever will have its fair share of security flaws. It just takes time to find them
>>
wasm is fucking tite tbqh
>>
>>61294858
Wasm is sandboxed and secured by design. It's can't be compared to flash nor Java applets on that point. And performances seem great for cpu intensive tasks compared to Js
>>
>>61295311
has it been launched in any browsers yet?
>>
>>61294442
>has "web browsing" gone too far?
yes, but that's not a bad thing.

WASM is a great thing. It will allow for true universal high performance code, fast and secure running on sandboxes.

Unlike java and javabytecode, wasm is not made tailored to any language, so you could use anything that compiles to wasm with it. Wasm is also a really expressive assembly and it will allow for a lot more programming paradigms.

For example, Adobe could compile photoshop to wasm and suddenly you can run the same photoshop in any OS on any architecture, the same goes for games and shitty windows only business software.
>>
>>61297120
Great. More DRM.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.