[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The torrent protocol is a joke and was born dead

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 4

File: girlfriend.jpg (55KB, 481x446px) Image search: [Google]
girlfriend.jpg
55KB, 481x446px
Public trackers: easy and accessible, but zero incentive to seed. All non-Hollywood-prolefeed torrents go dead after two years at most.

Private trackers: pure autism controlled by power-hungry teenagers. Incentive to seed, but torrents go completely dead forever after a police raid.
>>
>>61288205
niggus noggus
>>
>>61288205
does the police raid private trackers??
I thought private trackers were all about being secure
>>
file sharing sites have similar problems. even usenet has DMCA shit. It's almost like it's illegal and people try to stop it from happening
>>
>>61288205
What does that have to do with the protocol?
>>
>>61288205
Good, stick to your paid streaming, goy. Torrenting is sooo hard, why bother? Just release the shekels!
>>
>>61288223
It has happened a couple of times, but no user has been affected and a replacement backup site has always popped up right away, if it didn't already exist.
>>
>>61288271
paid streaming doesn't look so bad if :
>you have 10$ to waste per month
>you are lazy as fuck
>you are extremely impatient and can't even wait a torrent to download

but I'm a poorfag and can sit back doing other stuff while my torrent downloads, so I just torrent
>>
>>61288314
Indeed, same here.
>>
> current yeah
> using trackers
Hope you enjoying the past.
>>
>>61288363
t. numale with a netflix subscription
>>
>>61288398
I use kodi :^)
>>
File: 1487014390311.jpg (32KB, 580x435px) Image search: [Google]
1487014390311.jpg
32KB, 580x435px
>>61288205
you're a full on retard huh?

facebook uses chihaya to distribute their update packages
quay.io supports pulling images via bittorrent
amazon s3 has bittorrent integration built in

there is zero things dead about this protocol, it's just moving a way from massive faggot NEETS to the industry it belongs in that can make actual good use of it and not just sharing pilfered hentai.
>>
>>61288205
>No incentive to seed
Other than not wanting to be a fucking leach
>>
>>61288223
It's not about security, it's about quality control and rules.
>>
>>61288205
>hurr-durr I don't know from where to pirate stuff
kek
>>
>>61288205
>Public trackers: easy and accessible, but zero incentive to seed. All non-Hollywood-prolefeed torrents go dead after two years at most.
>Private trackers: pure autism controlled by power-hungry teenagers. Incentive to seed, but torrents go completely dead forever after a police raid.

Those say nothing about the efficiency of the protocol itself. A collaborative file transfer network with different users as data correction and fail safe is the future. If the internet is going to continue without corporate or governent control, it will be by means of protocols like bittorrent.
You're a luddite and you don't even know.
>>
>>61288205
Note that while there is null incentive for seeders on public trackers, there is negative incentive for seeders for files that actually need seeding on private trackers (since virtually nobody wants those files by definition). On top of that, you have to be special in the head to think it's a good idea to have centralized accounts linking to all your illegal online activities controlled by a 3rd party.
>>
>>61291288
The protocol has inherent flaws which stem from its centralized (but distributed) nature and lack of automatic routing. It also has bad pareto optimums in the frameworks of hedonic games.
>>
>>61288205
Torrents are simple and they actually work. You can build anything on top of torrents if you choose.
>>
>>61288298

What.cd replacement is still shit and will probably take years to get the same sort of content what.cd had.

Private trackers are a real disaster for archival stuff. Like if pass the popcorn went down that would be a fuck ton of rare and hard to find stuff gone.

Reason public trackers are shit for archival is because the folks who like to seed for the good of everyone go to private trackers and throw their bandwidth there.

Private trackers are cancer.
>>
>>61293014
If public tracker kiddies didn't hit and run so much people wouldn't mind seeding
>>
>>61288223
uh, yea. private trackers get taken down all the time. the most recent big one to go was what.cd
>>
>>61293014
An easy fix is that people don't stream the file they request, but rather random, encrypted chunks of files on the network.
>>
>>61288205
> All non-Hollywood-prolefeed torrents go dead after two years at most.
That's because you're either gayropean or burger.
>>
Use DC, they never get any attention from copyniggers.
>>
>>61293073

Thing is that's not kids only, kids are dumb and don't turn off their torrents. I bet the majority of hit and run people use a private tracker and don't want to waste bandwidth on other places.
>>
>>61293014
RED is good, they already hit 1M torrents uploaded.
>>61293073
Couldn't be more right. One time I accidentally left a game ISO seeding and uploaded 400gb overnight.
>>
>>61293014
I think there would be a huge market for people looking for genuinely rare shit that has fallen into the category of psuedo-abandoned. That's where the archival needs to start, collections of old albums and movies that have no profitable investment incentive for corporations to pursue. People could work their way up with a standardized procedure towards newer things.
>>
>>61293133
Nope it's kids. I know because I invited a 15 year old to iptorrents and he didn't understand how to seed and moved the files and thought disabling seeding will make them not get caught.
>>
just buy the CDs and DVDs
>>
>>61293176
nice anecdote
>>
>>61293186
>CDs
but muh 24-bit 192khz snake oil files

DVD's do suck though.
>>
>>61293165

YouTube is actually the best for this. Like the show 'spicy city' is there , no where to be found on torrents sites. Old rare music (I love italo disco and that shit is unpopular for good reason and full of rare remixes) is all over YouTube. No one takes it down because it's so obscure and most are just happy someone cares enough to upload it.

>>61293176

Some kids maybe, but I know plenty of folks (including myself) who set their clients to disable seeding on public trackers. The only exception is rare stuff - most of the time because it's rare it uses no bandwidth since no one downloads it - but I don't give a fuck about tonights episode of fear the walking dead, someone else can seed that.

Other problem is bandwidth caps mean folks are far more concerned about not wasting bandwidth. Like if you get 300gb a month with a 100m connection a popular torrent can eat through that pretty fast.

Private trackers really need to solve the issue, perhaps releasing public torrents with a special client to prioritize private tracker users or some sort of bt protocol extension to do something like this. If the tracker dies all the torrents can move to a public tracker or dht, another private tracker can pop up and folks can flock there with no issue.
>>
>>61293133
>Thing is that's not kids only, kids are dumb and don't turn off their torrents.
Yeah, i'm in my mid 30s and have my torrents setup to stop after they finish. Because I actually prefer to have all my movies well organized, and dont want to have to bother with setting up symlinks. Also because I end up changing the MKVs to add metadata which would break the torrent anyways.
>>
The ideal system would be everyone going back to the Kazaa P2P era, but with some MD5 hash databases for reference to avoid downloading malware when you have the option.

Or freetards could just program something like Netflix based on torrent, with default settings on seeding like hell so stupid leechers don't ruin the playground.
>>
>>61293802

Yeah this is huge fucking pain with torrents. Like my what.cd directory was unusable. I ended up making a copy and organizing it.

>>61293919

P2P is slow. That's the entire reason BitTorrent was smart. You could download from multiple people (some with slow connections or only part of the file) at once
>>
>>61294334
>I ended up making a copy and organizing it.
And that isnt even practicable with video files. Pic related.
>>
>>61293660
>Private trackers really need to solve the issue, perhaps releasing public torrents with a special client to prioritize private tracker users or some sort of bt protocol extension to do something like this.

entitled much. we prefer if you stay in the kiddie pool with the other retards who hit and run. do you even have a good reason not to seed?
>>
>>61288205
>2017
>thinking bittorrent is only good for piracy
kek
>>
>>61288314
I love torrenting movies/TV shows/anime with no regrets.
I like having liberty to put a movie on USB and watch it on TV, independent of internet.
>>
>>61293147
>RED
I seeded 12 torrents for a month, and uploaded 176KB. I even started picking torrents that I didn't like simply because other albums from the artist had downloads, and still nothing. It's basically unusable since you'll run out of ratio too fast unless you happen to listen to the perfect kind of music. They didn't even have the EPs I was looking for when I joined, just to kick me in the dick the extra bit.
>>
>>61288260
bencoding is shit
>>
>>61294365

Yeah nothing you can do, I let Kodi manage the meta data for stuff I'm seeding but yeah it's not a excellent solution. Music was only 2 tb so that was easy.
>>
>All non-Hollywood-prolefeed torrents go dead after two years at most.
This kind of issue has been known from the very start.

What makes torrents great is that they do a terrific job of anything that is popular, or you know , the things that would have otherwise put great strain on your resources to efficiently distribute to thousands of people every minute.

So yes, torrents did their jobs, its not a perfect system but it was better than what was previously.
>>
>>61294744
I've been on it for 3 days and have 300mb uploaded seeding only 8 torrents. 250 of that is from a single Autechre album which I did actually want to listen to. Once I get up to a couple hundred, I should get enough upload to sustain myself. I am using a seedbox though because my home connection has disgustingly bad upload speeds and cumcast fucks with my peering.
>>
>>61295019
>needing a seedbox
>to upload 100mb/day
>>
>>61295060
Seeding only 8 torrents, most of which are obscure things with almost no snatches. Back when WCD was alive, I was seeding 300+ and getting several gb a day.
>>
Thanks to Torrents I have saved a ton of money grabbing older tv shows that would cost me a fucking lot if I bought them on disc. That is even if the whole series was even dubbed to disc to start with. Some series, they do the first season or two then just give up. Course there's the other side to it, namely all existing torrent of said show all suck quality wise or have burned in subs. So at that point your faced with having to pay for it if you want it good quality. But now with sites falling left and right you need to hoard your shit and make plenty of backups of it. Nothing sucks worse than a hdd kicking and then trying to find some torrent of it again only to find either it don't exist anymore or the torrent is dead.
>>
File: Backup Disks.jpg (2MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Backup Disks.jpg
2MB, 2448x2448px
>>61295254
>make plenty of backups of it.
>>
>>61288205
Russia is the savior of the torrent with its rutracker.org
>>
>>61293660
>He doesn't know where the 10gb rip of spicy city is. Watches the old divx rip that's uploaded to YouTube.
Look harder.
>>
>>61295447

Or you could not be a douche and post a link or the tracker with it is. Last time I looked was a few years ago.
>>
>>61288205
>dead after two years
Idk man. Russians keep their torrents up for a long time. I just torrented Jazz Jackrabbit 1/2 which is an old and not very popular game.

>>61288223
Most of them are retards who don't have failsafe backups to torrents. Hence why GNUnet would be nice overall and it even uses a torrent-like protocol. So if the creator of a site gets rekt all other users can still "seed" it so everyone has access to it.
>>
>>61296292

I was pretty amazed they didn't have a db dump of what.cd - like not users just the meta data and torrents. They could have pretty much relaunched over night with open signups and told people to replace the tracker url in their hosts file...

Jazz jackrabbit is dope. I bet it's on archive.org though
>>
>>61288205
Congratulation you found the problem with the green part of political compass
>>
>>61288205
Pirating is illegal.
>>
>>61289815
Don't forget Steam!
>>
>>61297262
Steam doesnt use bit torrent.
>>
>>61297245
Yes murder, stealing, and kidnapping is usually illegal.
What's your point?
>>
>>61295552
Myspleen
>>
>>61294758
>bencoding is shit

what do you suggest then, mr computer science?
>>
>>61294674
get a load of this pleb
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.