[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

you care too much about privacy to use gnu/linux. But why care

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: IMG-20170706-WA0001.jpg (22KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170706-WA0001.jpg
22KB, 320x240px
you care too much about privacy to use gnu/linux. But why care about your OS if your hardware is all backdoored? Explain it because im worried about that too
>>
>>61275349
we can never get rid of all security issues
but having less is good
>>
The NSA, CIA, FBI, Microsoft, all their partners, State and Local police all have access to Windows backdoors

Only the NSA and CIA have access to hardware backdoors

It's not good, but it's less bad
>>
>>61275600
Nsa also helped develop Ubuntu and debian
>>
>>61275703
Source?
>>
>>61275703
What about devuan?
>>
>>61275349

They can only use those hardware backdoors if they're in physical proximity to the computer.
>>
>>61275821
The woman who helped create Ubuntu worked in the NSA briefly, it's just /g/ being autistic.
>>
windows fags
>>
>>61276155
This.
When will you knuckle dragging idiots understand this?
>>
>>61276155
I thought the intel management engine also connects to the network interface? They advertise remote access functions for system administration purposes, at leasty.
>>
bump for interest
>>
>>61276280

It has remote access because of it's wifi chip I think. It can't connect to the network without going through the OS.
Explain to me how the ME can connect to the internet without a network card being present, without drivers and without having the password to my router. If this was Windblows you'd be right to assume that Microshaft works in secret with the ME to turn the computer into a botnet, but we're on glorious Linux, where nothing goes on in the OS without us knowing about it.
The only other option is for the router vendors to implement backdoors that allow the ME to connect to them, bypassing you're password, and without the ME appearing in the connected list. The only way to check for this would be to monitor the actual packets/radio waves. Or encase your PC in a thick ( T H I C C ) layer of lead.
>>
open source = backdoor
slapping an open source OS onto proprietary hardware just means you're getting fucked in both ways possible
dont even get me started on the retards who think "COMMON SENSE 2017 XD" is good enough while they're torrenting shit and generally using the web
dumbass fuckers wouldn't know privacy and security even if it hit them
>>
>>61276796
>open source = backdoor

You clearly don't know wtf you're talking about. Microshart really needs better shills if they want to subvert the Linux community.
>>
>>61275349
I'm using linux because win 10 is genuinely annoying, not "kinda" annoying but full retarded obnoxious.
>>
>>61275349
Why not shoot yourself in the head because your ass has a hole in it?
>>
>>61276796
t. clueless retard.

Thanks Dunning-Kruger.
>>
File: 1484011752588s.jpg (5KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1484011752588s.jpg
5KB, 250x250px
>>61275349
Because hardware backdoors in most x86 machines can be controlled to an extent. I don't have any experience with the AMD PSP, but I'll comment a little on the Intel ME. The Intel Management Engine is a RISC based co-processor built into the CPU die, and functions independently of the main cores. The firmware for this thing is stored on the same ROM chip as the BIOS firmware. The ME has a software frontend called AMT (Active Management Technology) which is mean for enterprise level mass management of computers. So let's say that you want to update the BIOS on 100 machines from 1000 miles away, you can use AMT to do it. AMT also provides interesting features like a virtual serial connection for remote keyboard and mouse input. Recently a flaw in AMT was discovered that could allow an attacker to pass packets around a LAN without the OS of the computers being able to ever detect it, since the AMT is at BIOS level in software, and below the CPU cores in hardware. You could turn off AMT by using a switch in your BIOS menu, but it's not always there, and if it is, how can you trust it? The next tinfoil level would be to install Coreboot. This lets you add custom payloads, including EFIs, so it's pretty useful. It also fully removes AMT. However, this does not disable the ME. The ME will still have complete access to your OS network stack, your RAM, your storage, and could still log your keystrokes. While AMT is remote, the ME is mostly local except for the fact that it can interface with your networking stack, which is still fucked up. So to fix it, you use a tool called ME Cleaner (it's on GitHub) and you can strip the ME firmware to a point where it's 100% local and contained, and it only does basic hardware initialization at boot and some power management. ME Cleaner doesn't disable the ME, it makes it harmless, which is just as good. You'll still have some non-free ME firmware and CPU microcode in your system, but I look at more from a security perspective
>>
>>61276796
Yeah, because Win10 and MacOS don't have any backdoors. Remember to subscribe to iCloud or OneDrive!
>>
>>61275349
I don't because I don't use Linux for tinfoil reasons.
>>
>>61276796
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_(surveillance_program)
>>
>>61277202
>and could still log your keystrokes

And do what with them? Store them on HDD? I should be able to find them by seeing where the disk writes. Send them over the network? How the fuck does it use the network card without driver support?
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.