[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any IT skills I could pick as a language/culture graduate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: TysonSI1.png (559KB, 1000x510px) Image search: [Google]
TysonSI1.png
559KB, 1000x510px
Are there any IT skills I could pick as a language/culture graduate student?

Mostly, I'd like it to be a practical skill.
I was considering Python, because it was shilled in some of classes, but on the other hand I doubt if it's useful outside of academic applications. Lastly, I'll probably never work in IT, so it can't be something requiring too much dedication.

>picture to get your attention.
>>
>>61260100
sucking dick
>>
>>61260100
If you are talking about IT skills, you should look into PC Hardware and Networking. These are undoubtedly the most useful computer skills outside of the programming sphere.
>>
>>61260263
Is it something useful for someone who will never have more than a laptop and a desktop at hand at the same time?
>>
If I were you I would learn some programming language. And for someone who doesn't plan to delve too deep into Computer Science, I think Python would be best.

You can do an incredible amount of stuff with it, and most of your limitations will be due to either your skills or creativity.

You'll be able to create websites, games, automatize computer procedures, transfer data between spreadsheets and much more

These are skills that almost everyone can make a good use of, except maybe the game making part.

That and networking. Learning networking would be a plus, too.
>>
>>61260298
Yes, so you may know what to buy to best suit your needs, when you need it.

For networking, it may allow you to have further understanding of data transfer and how to set shit up so you don't need to me a subject to your internet provider
>>
get an on campus IT job
>>
SQL and relational databases seems like universally useful skill.
>>
Are you in linguistics? Does anyone actually use Prolog in that field anymore? I did a course on it for my CS degree and it was pretty cool, but I don't know a thing about linguistics and the course wasn't focused on that, so we never did much on that side of things other than generating simple sentences.
>>
File: 1492639955682.jpg (387KB, 1215x349px) Image search: [Google]
1492639955682.jpg
387KB, 1215x349px
EPICK SCIENCE MAN
>>
>>61260100
If you're just looking for a simple language to help automate your job or w/e, python is probably your best choice.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.