[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Xfce4: dual screen and startup

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: Screenshot_2017-07-07_14-03-57.png (992KB, 1919x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-07-07_14-03-57.png
992KB, 1919x1080px
I've tried /sqt/ but nobody gave an answer. I really need these two fixed and I've done a lot of research already.

I installed Xfce4 and it works for the most part but these two things still bother me:
1. popups and dialogs appear on the left screen even though the right one is the primary one
2. Xfce doesn't start automatically after I've logged in using the console, even though I have 'exec startxfce4' at the end of my .xinitrc

I'm using arch and systemd
>>
>>61257123
Hi fytch, you're a newfag and you should learn hiding your shit on an anonymous imageboard.
>arch
>systemd
I see you also quite accustomed to big black penises - and here I was hoping for the OP not to be a faggot; oh well...

BTW, popups/notifications and shit appear where your window manager tells them to, so look in XFWM settings. My i3wm spawns them on the screen where my pointer is, which is something I find quite comfy.
For the second part - you may want to try and install a display manager. SLiM, LightDM and LXDM are all good options for XFCE.
>>
>>61257228
Thanks for the reply.
I see the issue with systemd but it's too comfortable and easy so I stick with it for the moment. However, what's wrong with Arch?
I've already looked through all the Xfwm settings in the xfconf settings editor but haven't found anything. From my internet research I've also learned that this is a common problem with Xfce so I thought I'd ask on /g/ because someone may have a solution.
I'll have a look into display managers, thanks.
>>
>>61257374
>what's wrong with Arch
memes mostly. Also, overly authoritarian devs - the "Users must only do shit the way we say" kind
>>
>>61257123
launch
xfce4-notifyd-config
in your shell
>>
Do you have something calling Xinitrc in your profile? If not, you need to look up running start at login.
>>
>>61257582
That only works for notifications. Dialogs and popups (e.g. the save dialog) still appear on the left, non-primary screen.

>>61257583
You mean startx? I have added that (conditionally) to .bash_profile, will test shortly
>>
>>61257583
Yes, I forgot startx and adding it fixed this issue. Thank you a lot!
>>
>>61257123
Yes, Xfceces doesn't like primary screens on the right. It's because a lot of screens open at coordinates instead of a monitor. I've always had this problem, and basically gave up, I ended up switching my primary screen to the right, even though it's placed on the left side. Annoying, but less so than having to drag windows over every fucking time.
>>
There's no fix but to physically switch your monitors.
Or set your left monitor as 'below' your right one so it works properly.
>>
>>61257926
>physically
You don't have to physically switch them. Only in the xfce settings. Is physically the new literally?
>>
>>61257871
>>61257926
That's really depressing honestly; Reason enough for me to switch to another DE. Oh well...
>>
>>61257992
If you find a DE that doesn't suffer from this exact problem, let me know. I haven't found one yet.
>>
>>61257123
>I'm using arch
You did this to yourself. You obviously know all about GNU and Linux, seeing how you decided to use Arch and went through the trouble of installing it. Since you're a professional hacker/programmer you should be able to fix this yourself. Good luck!
>>
>>61257977
No, you have to physically switch them. xfce starts at the top left of whatever arrangement you have.
>>
>>61258303
Not sure if trolling or just very dumb.
>>
i had the dual monitor problem, the only work around that worked was using lightdm to disable the secondary monitor on the login screen.
>>
Just switch to windows 10 pro. Doesnt have any of these problems and it has games.
>>
>>61258365
>muh gaymes
KYS
>>
>>61258338
How do you do that?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.