[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cloning for Backup

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: serveimage.png (25KB, 280x308px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.png
25KB, 280x308px
I want to clone my Windows10 partition as a backup. I have everything setup as I want it and don't want to go through the few days it would take to reinstall programs and updates.
I have a 3TB external drive that I can put it on so storage really isn't an issue.
The issues I'm thinking that might make this more than a simple run is that A) I'm dual-booting Win10 and Ubuntu on the host machine. B) The external drive is also used for general backup of files. I'm sure I will need to repartition the external to keep these things separate.
One solution I read about was to dd Windows partitions to identically sized partitions on the storage drive. Then of course there's Clonezilla but from what I've read, trying to do it that way could lead to issues. Unfortunately, there's really not much out there that details how to do this. Most guides out there deal with whole disks, not multiple partitions and making a bootable clone (don't need it).
Any ideas or tips?
>>
>>61244971
>I have everything setup as I want it and don't want to go through the few days it would take to reinstall programs and updates.
sounds like you want to make a backup which is used like a replacement for an installation disc
it's actually not that hard to make a custom install disc based on your current setup
all it takes is;
1. run "sysprep /generalize" on your system
2. boot into a PE environment (the environment you get when booting off of a windows install disc
3. run imagex to capture your installation into a .wim image file
4. substitute the "install.wim" file in the original windows install disc with your new .wim file (re/named to "install.wim")
now you will have an install disc which installs windows as you currently have it, programs, users, documents and all
this is the same process OEMs and businesses use to customize windows for use on multiple machines, without having to do a fresh install and setup on each individual machine
>>
>A) I'm dual-booting Win10 and Ubuntu on the host machine.
>B) The external drive is also used for general backup of files. I'm sure I will need to repartition the external to keep these things separate.

The "Partition -> Image" option will resolve both of your concerns. Just use the simplified mode and use the defaults.

Partition -> Image simply copies the target filesystem, without the unused space. Optionally compressing and encrypting it. It will generate a directory on the output filesystem (your 3TB drive) containing the image, split into sections, with checksum files.

Have you even booted clonezilla before? It's not that scary.
>>
>>61245467
I hadn't even considered this. I will keep this in mind. Thank you.
>>61245551
I haven't really gotten around to it yet to check the options more thoroughly. I know that it can grab just the used space and make an image, but one of my concerns was if there will be an issue during recovery to a larger partition. I probably misunderstood, but I thought I read that the image will have a partition just that size and I would have to merge the freespace to the image partition. Say, image=100GB. Partition I want to put it on is 300GB. Image takes up 100GB, but 200GB is now a second partition that needs to be merged with the image's 100GB. Again, I probably have it all wrong.
Another concern is the fact that WIndows is two partitions, System and Installed. I have to copy the System partition as well, correct?
>>
>>61244971
Just use Clonezilla, it's easy.
>>
>>61246810
That would be my intention,but I figured I'd get some opinions from those that might have already done the same. Best to get as much info as I can before possibly screwing it all up and having to do the tedious and lengthy task of reinstalling Windows and all that's on there again.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.