[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why VS? Is there really no other IDE of comparable capability

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: visual_studio_2015.jpg (38KB, 1200x674px) Image search: [Google]
visual_studio_2015.jpg
38KB, 1200x674px
Why VS?
Is there really no other IDE of comparable capability for Winshit?
>>
>>61242836
Jetbrain
>>
vim with the right plugins
>>
>>61242836
vs code? its fine as long as you arent using winforms and if you are dont
>>
>hi guys I'm OP the massive faggot
>look at the popular VM that many businesses and professionals use
>let's shit on it for this thread because I'm a contrarian
>look at me guys
>look at me

>hi guys I'm the reply anon
>here's a shitty freetard VM that does half of the features with no real customer support, swiss-cheese foundation that relies on a bunch of weird third-party pajeet plugins that never interact properly with each other, and spotty experimental support for YOUR current project!
>it's good though because it's free as in free beer

This what the thread was supposed to be.

Just masturbate and go to sleep already.
>>
>>61243184
k
>>
It's not that good, it just helps to have a lot of tools that all work in one program.
>>
>>61242836
It's not Microsoft's fault that every other IDE is shit and terrible.
>>
If you work on a project that runs .NET (not .NET core) it's the only thing that will compile your code.
Anything else there's no reason to not use VSCode/Atom/Sublime
>>
>>61243369
you never heard of mono or something? they even have a cross platform .net ide
still.. no reason to use it now netstandard is out
>>
>>61243387
>Sponsored by Microsoft, Mono is an open source implementation of Microsoft's .NET Framework based on the ECMA standards for C# and the Common Language Runtime.
Projects I've worked on weren't built on a variation of .NET framework, they were built on .NET only using Windows machines designed to be deployed onto Azure.

Visual studio for Mac is shit and doesn't compile .NET projects either but I work on React stuff now anyway so VSCode is adequate.
>>
vim is love vim is life
>>
>>61243433
mono isn't a variation of .net, it's an implementation.
you can write a .net application in VS on windows and copy the project over to linux and compile it with mono
there are an annoying number of problems with it but sometimes it works well
microsoft only started sponsoring mono recently, there were fears that they would get a cease and desist so no one wanted to use mono in production but hey, now microsoft want cross platform and who has the crossplatform libs? mono.. so they just handed over a few wads of cash for their tech and now we have netstandard
>>
>>61243184
>hello sir i am ranjeet
>>
>>61243513
It sounds like something that needed to be implemented at the start of the project, we got subsidised by MS to use everything, they like locking startups into workflow which costs a lot to maintain later down the road, go figure.

MS have been trying to cross platform with VS Mac but right now it only works with Core which is useless for the .NET project we work on.
>>
>>61242836
because some people are retarded and fall for the .net meme. but that's mostly beginners
>>
>>61243184
hello Sir i have deposited the 0.02 Rupees in your account please kindly do the needful

-Sanjeev
>>
>>61244245
Kekd irl
>>
Codeblocks
>>
>>61242836
>Why VS?
I used it once during an internship. We were basically dumped with a massive project that involved Arduinos and test-driven development. However, the company had a really outdated IT contract and employees did not have admin rights to install software. We had to call IT and get them to come over and enter a password (and IT is always busy).
We were allowed to use whatever tools we wanted, so we chose VS because the built-in package manager and extensions could be installed without admin rights once we had VS. We were actually trying to get things up and running with a few other IDEs but VS is the one that we got going the quickest so we just stuck with it.
The company was rather new to software development (They mostly did mechanical design), hence the use of windows and the terrible IT policy. My superior actually had his gaming PC set up at work because your personal devices were not covered by the IT policy, thus he could install whatever he wanted without a 4 hour wait for a password.
When we started developing the python end of our project we switched to pycharm though. VS was nice enough for Arduino development. Never going back to the default Arduino IDE.
>>
>>61243184
/thread my good man.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.