[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> OpenBSD has a history of over 60 years of development by

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 300
Thread images: 51

File: Daemon.png (477KB, 1000x1032px) Image search: [Google]
Daemon.png
477KB, 1000x1032px
> OpenBSD has a history of over 60 years of development by highly knowledgable software engineers.
>Linux was developed by a student 20 years ago.
>Linux's licensing claims "freedom" but is actually very restrictive, requiring developers to release subsequent software under the same licence.
>OpenBSD's licencing is TRUELY free.
> OpenBSD is known for stability - financial institutions, webhosting, government agencies all rely on the rock hard stability Open BSD provides.
>Linux: plagued by constant bugs, kernel panicks.
> OpenBSD's userspace is built alongside the kernel. Everything works well together. Documentation and code is consistant throughout.
> Linux: The kernel was built buy one guy and the userspace was built by a bunch of autistic hippies. Poor documentation and consistency.
> Clean install contains only the bare minimum - stays true to Unix design philosophy.
> Even "minimal" Linux distros come bundled with bloatware (systemd).

Besides it being the most "popular", I cannot see one reason why I should choose Linux over BSD.
>>
File: gentoo.jpg (21KB, 370x492px) Image search: [Google]
gentoo.jpg
21KB, 370x492px
>>
>replacing your desktop os with a router os
>>
wow look at all this bait

aren't we lucky

>>61241989
this
>>
>>61241949
BSD sucks. Stop annoying everbody you fucking shill.
>>
>>61242000
This
>>
>>61241949
Unfortunately, both Free and OpenBSD's hardware compatibility still sucks. I wonder how much sony gives back to FreeBSD.
Currently Ryzen linup is barely supported and you have to disable powerd.
My polaris card is hardly supported as well. Of course, I can git compile the latest commits before installing X but I'd still wait for FreeBSD 11.X where all these are supported ootb.

In that case, if I am able to get my Wireless driver working I'd switch to freeBSD
>>
>>61241949

Can we not?
>>
File: 1400271554384.png-opt.png (991KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1400271554384.png-opt.png
991KB, 1024x768px
>>61241989
BSD has been easy to build from source forever and the ports collection which makes building third party software just as easy, originated on BSD, while Gentoo is the only GNU distribution I'll use I don't see any reason to use it over a BSD, especially something like FreeBSD where you can use ports OR packages, you're not restricted to source only or binary only.

Not trying to throw shade, just my opinion. I don't hold anything against GNU or Linux distributions, they just seem on par at best.
>>
Post my games.

No but seriously I have a wife and a newborn daughter. I don't have time for BSD like I used to. I need some software that just works.
>>
>>61241949
>Boot OpenBSD
>No networking drivers

Truly secure.
>>
File: 1467172365167.jpg (36KB, 508x524px) Image search: [Google]
1467172365167.jpg
36KB, 508x524px
>>61241949
>boot OpenBSD
>autistic partition scheme
no I don't see the poin of splitting the system in 20 partitions on a home system
>slow ass filesystem
it takes hours to install the base system, even fat16 is faster
>boot X
stuck with slow ass software mode on a 3 year old GPU

yep OpenBSD is truly amazing
>>
>Age doesn't really mean anything when you've spent most of the time jacking off doing nothing.
>Linux has had over $10bn+ put into it by billion dollar companies
>companies actually sell hardware with GPL code all you have to is insert a waiver
>you can't spell TRULY, also apple and sony stole BSD for decades without giving anything back, no matter how hard you jack off this is not a positive thing
>Linux is known for - running 99% of the internet, being sold by vendors now
>openbsd's software works well because there isn't any of it
>Linux: Is built by thousands of people making money
>Nobody gives a shit about your hippie deprecated pseudo religion unix philosophy which was made in the 70s on less than 1M of ram, being first does not qualify you to dictate how OSes should be designed forever
>systemd is picked by distro maintainers because it's the best also 2GB of ram is $10

Reason why you should go for linux is because not only is it "popular", it is "the best".

Of course you won't do this because this is all just a game that has nothing to do with technology, you're a shitty fucking loser hipster and you'll kill yourself within 5 years once the pity welfare money stops.
>>
File: 1391475989632.png (298KB, 768x1393px) Image search: [Google]
1391475989632.png
298KB, 768x1393px
>>61242573
>apple and sony stole BSD for decades without giving anything back
I wonder if people saying this do so in earnest. Apple pays the salary of BSD devs, contributes every year to the FreeBSD foundation, and has contributed a lot to Unix as a whole, not just its own platform nor FreeBSD, not to mention pushing patches back into mainline.

Sony contributes monetarily to the FreeBSD foundation and there are Sony corporate email addresses as well as Sony employee personal accounts in FreeBSD mainline commits. Sony specifically has contributed a lot to the MIPS and POWER branches and released a lot of tools early on around the time of UFS2, they've been a big player in Unix systems for a long time.

In the rare event you're being genuine and not just doing this for attention, I implore you to look into these claims next time.
>>
>>61242628
Thank you for your input, Rakesh.
20 rupees has been deposited into your account.
>>
>>61242628
Yea it used to but osx (now macOS) is dead and no new advances over adding iOS features to it.

They are also not updating a lot of the core utils because they don't want to play with updated licenses so expect a flood of malware targeting this fact in the future
>>
>>61242650
>Linux fanboy gets told
>Best he can do is call the other person an indian

>>61242000
>Linux is n-not a server OS
>LMAO OpenBSD is a router OS why use it on the Desktop? who cares if it has Firefox, Libreoffice and all the applications the average /g/entoomen uses?
>>
>>61242650
Not an argument, not original.

>>61242654
>used to
Clang is relativley new and still in active development, it's been pretty popular, this has been beneficial even for hardcore GCC users as they finally have a competitor to compete against instead of simply being stagnant.
>>
>>61242628
I'm still mad as fuck that nobody used launchd or a variant but years later systemd comes along and reinvents the wheel and nobody is happy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLwn_TbBntI
>>
>>61242628
Let's just say this were true. Point is what happens after they are paid - which is nothing. They push "patches" but it's only to help their proprietary bullshit. What did they "contribute", how are they "power players"? These are all just meaningless buzzwords. BSD is still stuck in the 90s, there's no software, no drivers - where is all this money that you're talking about supposedly going. Answer is nowhere outside where these companies profit.

(pretending to) Support any kind of BSD and you are supporting proprietary software. This is not technology, you're just a hipster because linux got too big and mainstream. Please stop posting.
>>
>>61242720
I believe you're being disingenuous with me, as such I'm not going to read the rest of your post or reply seriously to it. If you make a serious response I'll make one too.
>>
>>61242673
It might have software but no drivers

I use freenas and I'm eyeballing pfsense so I don't think I don't think bsd is neat
>>
>>61242720
this so much, for example my AMD R9 290 works perfectly in OSX but it's useless in BSD as per https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics. Apple doesn't contribute anything useless back to BSD
>>
>>61242720
>BSD
>literally one of if not the most used systems today
>milquetoast enterprise business tier OS
>hipster
wat
>>
>>61242756
Did Apple write those drivers or are they written by a third party? Isn't it the responsibility of AMD to publish drivers for their hardware? Nvidia publishes drivers for Windows, Linux, Solaris, and FreeBSD.
>>
>>61242757
you mean the same one which has less than half of one half of a percentage point marketshare right?

"muh embedded devices"

Linux also doesn't do this I guess.

You can be a music hipster, this works out fine because it's just something you pretend to do for attention. When you are a computer/tech hipster you kind of end up with some bullshit 80s "operating system" with no software or drivers.

I can't wait for this thread to get big enough to see the "you don't *need* anything past a 386" shits show up. We need to eliminate welfare to stop this.
>>
File: AMD drivers.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
AMD drivers.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>61242741
pfsense is also BSD based.

>>61242773
>>
>>61242784
>avoid my post spacing
>>
File: 1419412640892.jpg (306KB, 985x1380px) Image search: [Google]
1419412640892.jpg
306KB, 985x1380px
Why are GNU users so hostile and filled with anger, you even see them fight with each other.
>>
>>61242795
Ya i know thats why I listed it as an example

Note: freenas is a server os and pfsense is a router os
>>
File: 1289490093413.png (194KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1289490093413.png
194KB, 1600x1200px
>>61242838
I wasn't sure what you meant by this
>so I don't think I don't think bsd is neat
>>
>>61241949
I use Linux because it has more support and packages. I'm a developer and that's important for me.

BSD isn't mainstream enough
>>
>>61242795
>uses amd
>>
I never understood how to get OpenBSD to run like a desktop. It's like i've been scaled down to a factor of 128 something-or-others. But everything else about it is fantastic and the sort of people who praise arch or gentoo on this website _for_lack_of_bloat_ would do well to look into it, as the most accessible bloatless distro that doesn't pain the user by making them setup their own sane defaults during installation. (And configuration is easy because the system is tidy.)
>>
>>61241949
Here's why:
* Rust (no, seriously, this shit can't even pass its tests on any BSD, and it's now required to build Firefox)
* Steam and other binary blobs
* Somehow even worse graphics drivers
* vmm still has a fuckton of catchup to do
>>
>>61242562
Frogposter has good points. /g/entoomen shall remain /g/entoomen
>>
>>61242875
Never have and never will, all I ever hear from friends and acquaintances are complaints, the person in this thread is complaining about lack of drivers which has been a problem so large it's been a joke around here for years, it's a sad thing to see when there really is only 2 companies making GPUs and only 1 of them actually support them. I hate the phrase "you get what you pay for" but maybe it's true.

Now you won't see me promoting Intel or Nvidia but you won't see me using anything else.
>>
>>61242892
(I did not intend to call it a distro. I just go into the state of an idiot when typing. Polite sage.)
>>
File: Sakura and Puffy higher res.jpg (222KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Sakura and Puffy higher res.jpg
222KB, 1440x1080px
>>61242895
FreeBSD doesn't have these problems. Step it up OpenBros
>>
>>61242901
>Intel or Nvidia
>Needing to pay extra to get firmware to use hardware already there
>>
>>61242909
Rust has the same issue and the Linux compat layer for binary blobs is shoddy to say the least. bhyve is just a little less of a meme than vmm right now.
If you want to do virtualization, you need kvm on Linux, Hyper-V on Windows or ESXi. The BSD crap just can't cut it.
>>
>>61242784
>reddit spacing
Not OP, but please lurk more or remember what website you're on, grandpa
>>
>>61242929
I just finished compiling linuxfromscratch on an hyper-v type2 machine, I have to say I'm impressed by the performance.
>>
>>61242828
>GNU users are hostile
>says this in a thread about how SUPERIOR BSD is
If GNU users seem hostile, that's only because there are so many of them. What's your excuse?
>>
>>61242920
What's the alternative, get all the hardware and run nothing on it because there's no support?

>>61242906
The D in BSD is distribution, I see no problem in calling their flavors "distros". Also sage is inherently polite, it's certainly not inherently impolite.

>>61242929
>the BSD crap just can't cut it
I strongly disagree if we're talking about virtualization. Solaris and now Illumos are dominating the market when it comes to virtualizing at every level, from full on hypervisors down to Zones if you want to consider them in there. I honestly think virtualization is overdone anyway, people really should be isolating more and virtualization less, things like jails should be the standard to strive for. That's a whole side topic though.
>>
>>61241949
BSD is used by Apple. Linux is used by IBM, Google, and even Microsoft. How do you explain that?
>>
>>61242968
>claiming superiority is considered hostile
What universe did you come from sweetie?

>>61242962
Don't let them know that we know, just ignore.
>>
>>61242995
If you're not joking, all of those companies use both and more. Microsoft used BSD for almost everything all the way up until they released azure.
>>
>>61242998
I'll amend that. Why are BSD users condescending assholes?
>>
>>61243016
>asking questions is condescending and bad
Why?
>assholes
There it is again.
>>
>>61241949
>Linux's licensing claims "freedom" but is actually very restrictive, requiring developers to release subsequent software under the same licence.
So the only caveat in getting a free OS is you must keep it this way?
I don't see how this is a problem for anyone. All software should be free.
> OpenBSD is known for stability - financial institutions, webhosting, government agencies all rely on the rock hard stability Open BSD provides.
Cool, but doesn't matter for desktop users though.
It is the same as the super computer argument.
Is it? I have been using it for a decade and it has been stable for me.
> OpenBSD's userspace is built alongside the kernel. Everything works well together. Documentation and code is consistant throughout.
Consistent documentation, config files and coding style is nice, would definitely want that if I was developing on a ton of parts I just take for granted.
The gnu coding style is so ugly I don't want to be associated with it at all.
>>
>>61243031
>All software should be free.
Cool. That's not how business works.
If you want your code to permeate the business sector to make life better for everybody, you need liberal licensing. That's the reason why a lot of modern crypto code by djb et al. are put in the public domain.
>>
>>61243031
Not OP, and this is anecdotal, but I have 2 machines that Linux is not stable on but FreeBSD is. One of the machines won't even boot on versions higher than 2.x and the other one panics under memory load. Didn't want to invest the time in diagnosing them, installed BSD to see how it would do and it's been fine for years.
>>
http://kristaps.bsd.lv/absdcon2016/
>Secure CGI Applications in C on BSD

Why are BSD shitters such memes?
>>
>>61243074
>secure C CGI applications
>shitters
wat
would you rather people just use node and shit?
>>
File: 1453302491365.png (129KB, 314x278px) Image search: [Google]
1453302491365.png
129KB, 314x278px
Did systembsd ever become a thing? I'm using logind for something, and I really can't be fucked writing BDSM-specific code.
>>
>>61243097
>wanting the inevitable shitstorm of buffer overflows and undefined behavior with signed integer overflow
>wanting to use no libraries to simplify the boilerplate for you
>>
>>61243107
>I'm too stupid to use C
>Therefore everybody is too stupid to use C
Typical webshitter attitude.
>>
>>61243094
>>61243103
Probably, if not just write your thing and if it's worth it someone will patch the systemd specific things for you. I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
>>61243111
Name any non-trivial C program that has not been affected by at least one buffer overflow vulnerability.
>>
>>61243107
What are you even saying my man, turn the memes down.

>>61243120
Have you heard of this thing called Linux?
>>
>>61243125
CVE-2017-7477, buffer overflow.
We really don't need to import this class of vulnerabilities into the web stack.
>>
>>61243116
I was working on some wayland related shit, and (the possibility of) non-linux support is a goal.
However, trying to manage TTYs and all that shit is annoying, because basically every OS does it differently. If I can use logind, I don't have to do shit.
>>
BSD license is the cuck license.
>>
>>61243146
>I get more freedom from the BSD license than the GPL
fastnig
>>
>>61243140
I was obviously goofing, a non-serious post gets a non-serious answer.

>>61243146
Nice try Stallman but you're never going to shake the cuck brand off, no matter how much skin you peel off.
>>
>>61243150
Free to be a cuck and let anyone have their way with your code, yeah. GPL bulls don't have this problem.
>>
>>61243161
>GPL bulls don't have this problem
See also: grsecurity
>>
>>61241949
BSD also has a non-shit package manager unlike every single Linux distro out there (Gentoo tries with its Ports clone but doesn't cut it)
>>
>>61243168
See also: every videogame console, macshits, phones, etc
>>
>>61243161
>take your GPL product
>put it in my product
>don't even make any changes
>sell it
>contribute nothing back
>laugh my way to the bank while you get nothing
The only non cuck license is a proprietary one, anyone who says different is fooling themselves and anyone who squabbles over this doesn't actually care about freedom.
If you do care about freedom why go half ass, MIT or bust. If it wasn't for global law bullshit it would be public domain or bust.
>>
>>61242562
>not setting your own partition scheme
>use zfs :^
>gpu acceleration is bloat
>>
File: IMG_1033.jpg (2MB, 1900x1355px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1033.jpg
2MB, 1900x1355px
>>61243211
>mfw I sue the shit out of you and make bank
>>
>>61243192
but OS X uses gnu utils....
>>
>>61243236
Sue me for what? The GPL allows this, I could even sell YOUR product if I wanted, I don't have to do anything. Someone post that one site that does exactly this.

More importantly, lets say you did have reason to sue me, expect a major headache and tons of travel and legal fees, FSF only pays some of it and if they win they get all of it.
Most famous case (the rare times the FSF actually does anything)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BusyBox#GPL_lawsuits

>>61243248
I'm pretty sure that's their point, the GPL doesn't prevent this.
>>
>>61243255
>GPL allows this
Not GPL3.
>>
>>61243289
>GPL3
Truly the worse license on the planet
>>
>>61243293
>impossible to be cucked like it was in the past and like BSD is everyday
Pretty good if you ask me.
>>
>>61241949
because mah gaymes!!!
That's why I use Linux
>>
>>61243289
>GPL3
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me 3 times, shame on me. I ain't reading that long as fuck "freedom" license again. The summaries I've heard make it seem like something a crazy person would use for their hobby project that would never see any traction because you legitimately can't use it without fear of legal repercussions, even if in practice there's no chance of you getting sued because nobody will actually get caught violating the GPL and if they do nobody is going to do anything about it. GPL v3 may as well be renamed to "RUN AWAY".

>>61243298
You're cucked out of your rights the second you even so much as look at GPL software.
"Freedom" is defined as "look at this giant list of clauses stating what you can and cannot do".

I'll listen to but ultimately disagree with opinions on why some think this is better but I will never take people serious when they try to pass this off as freedom.
>>
>>61243289
Requesting citation of v3 change.
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#DoesTheGPLAllowMoney
>>
>>61243326
>cucked out of your rights
Outside of forcing GPL onto software that incorporates other GPL software, and neuters DRM, I'm not sure how GPL cucks you out of anything.
>>
>>61243364
>outside of these exceptions I don't know how you can claim it does these things
I'm not even trying to be patronizing but this is why people don't take the GPL seriously.
>>
> BSD is a cuck license!
> Even though all BSD variants keep improving and getting better and better each release
Can somebody explain this to me? nobody has any reasons whatsoever to contribute back into BSD yet it's a thriving community and the project keeps moving forward at a steady pace
>>
>>61243375
Didn't you read all those posts since 1999? FreeBSD is dying, for real this time, no really it's dying for sure this time. It will be dead soon. How can it be alive when there hasen't been a contribution in decades, how can they afford to pay the bills with no donations. Really a shame that this is the reality. RIP BSD.
>some people still believe this bs after multiple decades
>>
>>61243374
It's a more aggressive method of promoting free software. Are you really defending the use of proprietary licensing and DRM on this board?
BSD people say "maybe if we ignore it it will go away"
Stallman people say "you will look up and shout 'save us!' and I will whisper 'GNo'"
>>
>>61243399
> Implying everyone on this board is a stallman follower looney
Consider finding a rope strong enough to support your obese body and hanging yourself from a reinforced steel beam
>>
>>61243399
Not an excuse and not an argument.
>maybe if we ignore it it will go away
This isn't even the mentality, it's simply this
>we ignore it
How about you write software and you write software, no political nonsense, no legal nonsense, no ethical discussion, no business concerns, just software, you write it, people can use it if they want to, that's it, it's that simple. Why complicate it? Why actually fight with people verbally and legally? I'm dead serious when I say this, the people who advocate GPL look like people who don't actually care about software to me, they care about some meta layer on top of software, they'd rather argue about ethics than write useful software that's meant to be used, and they damn well don't give a hoot about freedom when they systematically try to isolate themselves from everyone else on the planet and make things as complicated as possible under some guise.

All this for what, who does this even benefit in practice, not in theory, because in practice more liberally licensed software seems just as fine as the alternative without any of the headaches for developers.

>>61243419
Rude but funny.
>>
>>61243326
>>61243016
>>61243026
>>61243074
>>61243031
The reason why this happens is because we currently have enough free resources on the planet to devote to welfare and otherwise pity money which is what you, as a hipster, survive on. Only when you have this kind of time, is when you become a hipster. Right now you have it pretty good because we happen to have enough to allow welfare to exist.

In just 30 years or so, we're not going to have enough space and resources for you unless you can give something back. General public perception of being willing to give away free money is going to start seeing a massive decline. You will have to earn it one way or the other and we all know you won't be able to. After your time is up we'll pick up eugenics and competition again as you won't seem worthy of being alive and will be liquidated. Nobody wants to pay for you spending 8 decades butt diddling on IRC pretending to be a cuntrarian, the deal is that right now you happen to be able to pretend that you can't work. This isn't going to work for much longer and you will be liquidated.

Hipsters are so, so so worthless, which is why we're here right now in this thread. When the general public becomes wary of resources becoming limited, hipsters will be the very first to go.
>>
>>61243459
I don't know why you quoted me in this and I'm not even bothering to read past the first sentence. Did you make a mistake?
>>
>>61242055
In one Lunduke Hour it was said by FreeBSD developer that Sony gives back a lot because it wants new FreeBSd versions to already have their patches so they don't have to patch it for every release.
>>
>>61243375
Just because they are not obligated to give back doesn't mean it's not convinient to prevent patching every release.
>>
My message to all GPL advocates
https://a.uguu.se/3TbcgrQhcMeI.mp4
>>
>>61243419
You don't have to be a Stallman following looney to understand why some people wouldn't want others to take free software, lock it up behind proprietary shit, and fuck consumers with it.
>>61243456
>we just ignore it
That's why BSD is the beta cuck license.
>I don't care about ethics so that means no one should
I don't have words for this.
>they'd rather argue
GPLv3 simplifies this greatly and makes arguing unnecessary. If you want to use this GPL software, great!, but you have to play fairly. It's okay if you don't want to, but you can't use this software.
>make things as complicated as possible
>isolate
What are you not understanding about GPL's ACTIVE approach to free software? Is it really that hard for you to fathom that someone might actually care if someone takes their work and uses it unethically?
>>
>>61243535
You had the opportunity to convince me why I should care, why this non-existent problem is supposedly real and something I need to worry about, but instead you just spouted funny meme words. Good contribution, I hope you licensed it under the GPL for all 0 people that want to make copies of it.

>I care about ethics in software so that means everyone should
I don't have words for this.
>>
>>61243569
If you don't care about ethics you're subhuman. Bottom line.
>>
>>61243582
Not an argument. Is shitposting all you're capable of? That's not really ethical.
>>
>>61243593
>reply to me with a shitpost
>i reply to you with a shitpost
>"is shit posting all you can do????"
EPYC posts
>>
>>61243610
I'll translate my post into something you can understand at the bottom, skip ahead if you can't understand some of these words.

Explain to me how inquiring for more information is shitposting you moron, you still never made an argument as to why someone should care about this supposed issue and specifically what aspects they should care about. You're not going to either because there is none or you're incapable of forming your opinions into a statement, you open your mouth but only KEK KEK KEK comes out, I guess it's all you're used to.

I also like how you asserted that just because I don't like to limit the rights of people while threatening everyone else, that means I'm somehow unethical.

translation: meme meme meme do do da da why aren't you just like me?
>>
>>61243651
Does cuck get filtered when it's in lowercase? That's pretty funny.
>>
Going to bed, unconvinced. Glad I wasted my time being patient with a loony who can't communicate.
>>
>>61243651
>why someone should care about this issue
Which issue? Plagiarism? Unethical anti-consumer behavior? Spying? Illegal use of other software? Security? Updates? Basically anything related to proprietary software except for revenue generation?
I didn't think I had to explain this to someone on /g/.
>>
wait a second, what are the fundamental diferences between BSD and linux? its just internally, a example like a command or something?
>>
>>61242628
Webkit is a fork of KDEs KHTML
>>
>>61243823
Different kernels
Different filesystem
Different partition layout
Different package manager and philisophy
Most applications from Linux work on BSD because POSIX and it's easy to port them
>>
>>61243823
"BSD" refers to an old, unix-derived free software OS, which is what freebsd/openbsd/others are based on, there isn't an active "BSD" anymore, but typically when someone says "BSD" without context, they're referring to freebsd and/or openbsd nowadays
linux is a free software clone of minix, sort of, it's meant to be unix-like, but isn't directly based on bsd or unix
without any specific knowledge, you might be thinking "they're both free and both unix-ey, so they must be very similar, right?", not really, they have a similar 'look and feel' on the outside, as they have unix-like shells and run most of the same free software, but as OS's they're completely different code, with a ton of smaller differences

disclaimer: i'm not an expert on this subject, especially for *BSD, so this might be (very) rough
>>
>>61243868
for a tldr;
completely different codebases, just with similar design principles ("unix-like"), so they only appear similar
>>
>>61243857
you should know by now that apple rarely actually begins/creates anything they develop
i for one am just glad they keep many of them foss
>>
GPL is the best for "normal" developer but is incoherent for Stallman that only talks about muh freedom... He should let his codes totally free or just change his pseudo-communism ideology
>>
>>61243931
this
I bet 90% of macOS kernel is just FreeBSD
>>
>>61244281
https://opensource.apple.com/source/xnu/xnu-3789.51.2/
You're welcome to check, commie.
>>
> OpenBSD has a history of over 60 years of development by highly knowledgable software engineers.

Yet Linux is way ahead. Tells something about the OpenBSD developers, huh?
>>
>>61243857
Apple funded development for it since 2002.
>>
>>61242000
Yeah that's why I stay on Windows
>>
>>61242895
>* Rust (no, seriously, this shit can't even pass its tests on any BSD, and it's now required to build Firefox)
>that's somehow a bad thing
>>
>>61243031
>Is it? I have been using it for a decade and it has been stable for me.
Don't lie anon.
>>
>>61244321
not only that, osx began as a NeXT project, which apple bought
don't get me wrong, i don't think it's a bad thing that apple buys things and works on them, it makes sense, why make something from scratch when you can just buy something you like and adjust it to suit?
microsoft did it for ms-dos, linux was heavily inspired by unix and minix (though was entirely new code), and freebsd/openbsd was based on 4.4BSD
there's precious few things that were really new and unique
>>
because linux is industry standard for everything that is not embedded. same shit with java, it's bad but it's there and people use it.

/thread
>>
>>61241949
I fail to see why should we care..
>>
>openbsd
>jails
>zfs

pick one

gg
>>
>>61244588
even linux has openzfs now

openbsd btfo
>>
> try openbsd
> cant play webms/twitter video clips
> reinstall linux
>>
>>61241949

Stopped reading there, welcome to the trash can of cuckville, population: (You)
>>
>>61243107
>undefined behavior with signed integer overflow
Not as long as you use a decent compiler
>>
>>61241949
>over 60 years of development
Let's see. UNIX first got out of Bell Labs in 1975. 2017 - 1975 = 42 years. A little bit less than 60 years, isn't it?
>>
File: autistic screeching BSD.jpg (173KB, 1747x1080px) Image search: [Google]
autistic screeching BSD.jpg
173KB, 1747x1080px
>>
>>61242628
Why do you lie here? Do you think noone can found out you have a shitty fanboi agenda? If so write a blog and disable comments.
https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/donors/
>>
>>61241949
Theo has called OpenBSD a research project for security. Why would you use it as your primary desktop, even they use Mac?
P.S. Alot of the things these geniuses have come up with has been ridiculed only to get adopted by many 5-10 years later, except for Linux, because Linus refuses to use their truly free security mitigations.
>>
>>61241949
Question about OpenBSD

Can I use

>krita
>blender
>plume editor
>thunderbird
>firefox

is there a package manager?
how is it out of the box?
>>
>>61241949
>Name any non-trivial $language program that has not been affected by at least one $vulnerabilty_type vulnerability.

This is how stupid you sound
>>
>>61245381
>krita
yes
>blender
yes
>plume editor
dunno
>thunderbird
yes
>firefox
yes
>is there a package manager?
yes
how is it out of the box?
great
>>
>>61242511
The only reason the internet "just works" is because of unix, cypherpunks, the fsf, bsd court battles. If you think it's going to just work I n decades at this rate of commercialization and militarization, you're delusional and likely out of a job. Generation of babies I swear.
>>
>>61243228
OpenBSD doesn't have ZFS
>>
File: 4L_IqVoYDPs.jpg (26KB, 544x500px) Image search: [Google]
4L_IqVoYDPs.jpg
26KB, 544x500px
>>61242573
Unironically
>>
>>61242929
Xen on netbsd ain bad. It's actually what fsf uses
>>
File: 1471551631592.jpg (105KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1471551631592.jpg
105KB, 500x500px
>>61241949
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
File: unimpressed.jpg (104KB, 851x478px) Image search: [Google]
unimpressed.jpg
104KB, 851x478px
Anyone implying that BSD based firewalls are good doesn't know what they're talking about.
Enjoy your extremely subpar qos. Nothing touches fq_codel and cake on linux, and yes, the freebsd dummynet stuff in since 11R does implement fq_codel but it's not nearly as efficient as it is on linux.

Best solution: use your distro of choice with nftables, the iptables replacement.
Preferably use one with good selinux coverage like fedora/centos (or even debian, recent work on upstream refpolicy has come a long way).
Hardened kernels are useless now that grsec is dead. A hardened libc might be useful, but not as useful as selinux.
>>
File: bsd_is_shit.png (123KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
bsd_is_shit.png
123KB, 1280x720px
>>61246089
>>
>>61246057
I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.
>>
File: What's_wrong_with_FreeBSD.png (188KB, 1267x589px) Image search: [Google]
What's_wrong_with_FreeBSD.png
188KB, 1267x589px
>>61246108
>>
>>61244676
>BSD is bad because then companies take your code without giving anything bad
oh, you mean like when GPL code is built around BSD code basically locking BSD out? At least companies give code back, when something goes GPL it stays GPL and can never be given to anyone under any other license.
>freedome
>implying
>>
File: Why-I-left-OpenBSD.png (335KB, 831x1234px) Image search: [Google]
Why-I-left-OpenBSD.png
335KB, 831x1234px
>>61246151
BSD = SHIT
>>
>60 years
Stopped right there. At least be correct you fucking troll.
>>
File: 1484899189853.png (47KB, 470x345px) Image search: [Google]
1484899189853.png
47KB, 470x345px
>>61246164
>At least companies give code back
BURN IN HELL YOU LYING BASTARD
>>
>>61244676
>companies steal code and don't give back
GPL steals OpenOffice (Apache license) but don't give anything back, and these people recieve money for it. OpenOffice comes up with side panel or something else new, LibreOffice steals it and "sells" it as their own update. Then LibreOffice add some code but do not give back.
GPL tards a poop, hypocritical slimeballs like that guy Stallman
>>
File: linus.png (580KB, 1279x837px) Image search: [Google]
linus.png
580KB, 1279x837px
The question is whether your non-restrictive license is actually damaging to the open source community.

By not legally obligating those who improve the code to contribute back, you're robbing ALL those who decide to download your code of at least some potential future improvements by others. It's less about what other people are stealing from you and more about what other people aren't giving back.

You shouldn't steal from others with no benefit to yourself. FFS at least get something for all the potential improvements you're robbing these suckers of.

Any code I write that I'll be using for monetary gain is protected and private.
All other code is GPL'd.
>>
>>61246198
They could actually use a Linux kernel, and have the rest of the system closed
>>
>>61246198
They do. Sony has employees are even contributors. They are in the lists with their @sony emails even.
>>
>>61246198
I think you're gonna burn in hell with that language of yours. Is this how you treat people IRL?
>>
>>61245374
>fund development
>push patches
Literally what more are you asking for them to "give back"? I swear you people make up things to complain about.
>>
File: bsd rationalization.png (93KB, 507x692px) Image search: [Google]
bsd rationalization.png
93KB, 507x692px
BSD developers tend to be incompetent especially with regard to security, such as not understanding how entropy works (freebsd devs) or not understanding layered security (openbsd devs), to outright denying reality up to and until they decide to copy-paste security measures 5 years late and call it new and innovative, apple style (openbsd devs again).
>>
>>61245381
Yes, you can run all that because BSD has a GNU compatibility layer.
Yes, the only way to run useful third-party software in BSD is to run GNU software. Because of this, it performs worse in several cases.
>>61246164
There is nothing in GNU 'written around' BSD code.
>>61246222
The reason LibreOffice was born is much more complicated than that and the fact that most OpenOffice developers went to LibreOffice should be enough to tell you that there is no 'stealing' going on.
>>
>>61246234
>defining factor in Linux's success
Linux not even a complete OS
OpenBSD, FreeBSD, NetBSD, DragonflyBSD are complete OS's, unlike GNU/Systemd/Linux/librarywhatever
>>
>Use BSD license
Companies steal code, closes it off and tells you to fuck yourself

>BSD User-Developer experience
Literally get hacked by own Project leader

>Placebo security
Un-audited ports, Nothing else runs in BSD without ports

>Compatibility
Some BSD cannot even have non-free codec packs. Not many proprietary software and drivers run on *BSD, specially OpenBSD. Many Realtek and Broadcom devices will never run because of its non-free only drivers.

>NO active development
Except for PC-BSD, there is no live *BSD desktop. OpenBackdoor removed Linux compatibility AND WINE. BSD market share is not rising.

>Less softwares than Linux
Cannot even perform Vt-d virtualization on windows guests. (Good for nothing). Behyve is miles behind KVM/QEMU.

>Community
Non-existent.
Few buttflustered autists that mostly comprise of mactoddlers (OSX is BSD :-DDDDDD).
FreeBSD is actually getting better though. I hope PC-BSD catches on but their primary goal is to fight own BSD counterparts' autistic community.
>>
OpenBSD is insecure because it lacks MAC and jails like FreeBSD has.
>>
File: Beastie sick dunk.jpg (46KB, 820x749px) Image search: [Google]
Beastie sick dunk.jpg
46KB, 820x749px
>BSD foundations and proprietary partners fund software development
>FSF funds FUD, shitposting, and law suits
most jej
>>
File: tyra-banks-what-face-05132015-.jpg (33KB, 306x248px) Image search: [Google]
tyra-banks-what-face-05132015-.jpg
33KB, 306x248px
>>61246319
>not understanding layered security (openbsd devs)
>>
>>61246319
That's my post, I'm not a BSD dev.
>>
What kind of fag thinks openbsd is a real OS? Its just a little hobby project created by a couple autistic guys that think they know security.
>>
File: 1489301614994.jpg (249KB, 1400x1522px) Image search: [Google]
1489301614994.jpg
249KB, 1400x1522px
The second there are no maintained GNU/Linux distributions without systemd left will be the second I switch to this cuck system.
So far so good though.
>>
>>61246410
pic saved
>>
>>61246375
IF YOU DON'T USE THE GPL THE GOVERNMENT COULD LITERALLY EAT YOUR CHILDREN
>>
>>61246410
Why wont you use systemd?
>>
File: 1430405945798.jpg (39KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
1430405945798.jpg
39KB, 600x400px
>>61246375
But your own post is FUD, Mr. BSD fanboy
>>
>>61241949

BSD license is shit. You might as well just say "do wtf you want", no one cares that you need to give some small credit hidden away somewhere.

GPL on the other hand ensures that those who edit contribute back, which is not restrictive to you at all, it's only restrictive to those that wish to take your code and make money of it.

Compare when two scummy companies make commercial products off your work:

Apple takes BSD code and makes a proprietary, locked OS and sells it. They don't contribute and BSD is left in the dust.

Google takes Linux code and makes a open source OS and adds on their proprietary services to it. They contribute a lot to the linux kernel and it is possible to make a fully functional android "distro" with no google in it.

Imagine if BSD was under GPL and apple still used it, we'd have functional FOSS versions of Mac OS and iOS.

...But it doesn't matter much. Linux dominates the phone and server industries while bsd remains something that companies rip off while the FOSS bsd remains in the dust. Bsd has so little support I couldnt switch to it if I wanted.
>>
>>61241949
>40, not 60. GNU has a little bit less than 30 years of development and Linux has 27.
>Linux is developed by a student and many contributors around the world, including corporations like IBM, Intel, etc.
>BSD was developed by professors, students and many contributors around the world.
>The GPL is like the Constitution: it puts some restrictions in place so anyone can be free, not just those with power and money.
>So is GNU. GNU is a stable OS.
>The Linux kernel, while in a perpetual beta state, is also very stable. There's a reason it's the most used kernel in the world.
>While Linux and GNU were developed separately, they're both very flexible and work very well together. Their documentation is very good.
>GNU is Not UNIX. That's the name of the OS.
If you want a UNIX clone go to BSD, Solaris or whatever. GNU is not supposed to be a UNIX clone.
>Besides it being the most "popular", I cannot see one reason why I should choose Linux over BSD.
You seem to be confused. Linux is a kernel, you can't 'choose' Linux over BSD as much as you can 'choose' between a spoon and a cinnamon roll.
GNU is the name of the operating system you're referring to.
Why choose GNU over BSD? Because GNU is a free as in freedom OS made from the ground-up to respect users, while BSD is just an open source UNIX clone.
If you don't care about ethics or software freedom, just by the code; then by all means use BSD, Solaris, Android or whatever.
GNU is, and has always been, a political tool to give users freedom, as stated by the FSF and Richard Stallman.
>>
>>61242573
>sony stole BSD for decades without giving anything back
>>61243146
>BSD license is the cuck license.
>>61243161
>cuck
It's the same logic that makes companies want to copyright everything. I made this thing/invented this concept so no-one else should be able to. ITS MY WORK
Fuck, I invented the first paintbrush and oil paint, spent lots of time to get the formula right, why should I just give it away? I'm not a cuck.

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/contributors/article.html
>>
>>61246644
You are not actually defending freedom but "the right to scam". Nice try though.
>>
>>61246410
It's funny because the Tesla uses Linux and several open source libraries to run the car's OS.
>>
>>61246644
Copyright is how you protect proprietary software.
GPL is how you protect free software from being cucked into proprietary software.
BSD is just openly stating you don't care if other people shit on you and your work. That you have no respect for yourself or anyone else contributing with you.
>>
File: 1458092977069.jpg (193KB, 631x640px) Image search: [Google]
1458092977069.jpg
193KB, 631x640px
>>61246690
>>
>>61246568
https://opensource.apple.com/

Wah wah companies don't give back
OpenBSD
Hewlett Packard Enterprise
Target
genua gmbh
Yandex
2Keys Security Solutions
Microsoft Corporation
Google Inc.
Facebook Inc.
The Core Infrastructure Initiative
DuckDuckGo
Smartisan
Microsoft Corporation

FreeBSD
Intel
NetApp
Verisign
Microsoft
WMware
Yandex
others

I swear you guys sound like resentful commies
>>
File: SCREEEEEEE.jpg (33KB, 295x320px) Image search: [Google]
SCREEEEEEE.jpg
33KB, 295x320px
>>61241949
I heard OpenBSD is better for laptops. That's what I use on my 2007 Acer netbook. So what does FreeBSD offer over OpenBSD?
>>
>>61246735
Is that counting all the BSD licensed software these companies use under the hood?

Oh, right.
>>
>>61246690
They also give away their patents. I was a better comparison where the tesla was FOSS and some VW was closed source, but I cant find it.
>>
File: 333864f4.jpg.gif (491KB, 374x281px) Image search: [Google]
333864f4.jpg.gif
491KB, 374x281px
>>61246746
They're both shit.
>>
>>61246690
LOL Linux/GNU GPL is cucks. Tesla makes money, google makes money with android. lol cucks they don't even give anything back
Companies use Linux servers for free without giving anything back. lol GPL a cuck

Seriously, you need to add something like "can only be used for non-profit" in the GPL, but you cannot ad that money must be given to the community because then they are forced to pay then it's not really freesoftware. LOL
Morons
>>
>>61246758
No, monetary contributions
Theo says companies also contribute code, I know it's a fact for FreeBSD

>SANETO Takanori <[email protected]>
>SASAKI Shunsuke <[email protected]>
and a bunch of other nips from Sony are contributors. Sony uses teir own FreeBSD fork in PS4
>>
>>61246690
It's funny because this picture is a just a joke
>>
>>61246779
Any changes they make they have to contribute back, and they do. If they then make money that's fine and dandy.

>>61246830
Difference is they only contribute as much as they feel like.
>>
>>61246551
I suggest you read the thread.
>>
>>61246862
>If they then make money that's fine and dandy.
This is actual cuck logic, not even meming. They're making money because of your work.
>>
File: realistic-analogy.jpg (885KB, 1400x1522px) Image search: [Google]
realistic-analogy.jpg
885KB, 1400x1522px
>>61246410
ftfy
>>
>>61246906
and I get their work for free as well. Which I could use to make money if I wanted to start a business.
>>
>>61246937
>anvil
maximum downforce
>>
File: cuck.jpg (144KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
cuck.jpg
144KB, 1280x720px
>>61246892
But your BSD shills are spreading FUD, like >>61246937
I suggest BSD pays more to devs and less to telemarketers.
>>
>>61246830
Geoffrey Levand was "principal software engineer" at Sony and was involved with the PS3, he is notable in his open source contributions surrounding the system and was always providing support to randoms who bugged him on source repos, irc, mailing lists, etc.

I think a lot of his mainline contributions are under his personal email address, you can find it via his name. I'm pretty sure most of the engineering team used their machine local settings when pushing contributions so it's best to check staff names.
>>
GPL is about sharing your code, but only if the other parties accept it's in the interest of collaboration.
BSD makes sense if you want to work on something like open source addons or plugins for closed software.
Both licenses have their suitable uses.
Saying one is superior to the other is idiotic.
I've tried BSD, and it had too many glitches and required workarounds.
Enjoy your clean superior code.. it doesn't fucking work.
It was some time ago. I probably improved. But at that time a lot of zealous shills were telling me how awesome it was. So excuse me for not wanting to get fooled again. Fuck BSD. GNU/Linux works.
It's cool there's enough BSD projects to make a complete Desktop OS, but I don't really feel like flaggellating myself by using it.
>>
>>61241949
> I cannot see one reason why I should choose Linux over BSD
GPL.

Contributing to BSD-licensed code equals working free for corporations, contributing to GPL-licensed code equals contributing to society.
>>
>>61246946
What work? They're using your project, not the other way around.
>Which I could use to make money if I wanted to start a business.
I really hope you don't seriously think this way because it's honestly a little depressing, not trying to be mean.
>>
The only good thing that BSDOS brought us is tons of pkgsrc packages made by NetBSD community. They are truly awesome.
>>
>>61246974
dont you fucking dare post the fish master again
>>
File: OpenBSD dance.gif (286KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
OpenBSD dance.gif
286KB, 480x360px
>>61247041
>>
>>61246983
I use Linux and think there's great GPL software, and not so great, but it pisses me off that people don't respect BSD/MIT licesensed work and the software. I feel as though BSD people are cooler people than GPL people.
>>
>>61247006
>Contributing to BSD-licensed code equals working free for corporations,

get rekd
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/five-big-names-that-use-linux-on-the-desktop/
>>
File: jane-hill-0005.jpg (732KB, 2336x3504px) Image search: [Google]
jane-hill-0005.jpg
732KB, 2336x3504px
>>61247052
you are negative in the... freedom.. dimension..
>>
File: gnu dad.jpg (297KB, 1200x1500px) Image search: [Google]
gnu dad.jpg
297KB, 1200x1500px
>>61247089
>I feel as though BSD people are cooler people than GPL people.
>>
>>61247107
As longs as they don't sell or distribute the kernel patches only in binary, I'm fine with that.
>>
Also, GPLv3 is literal cancer. Stick to GPLv2 or LGPL and you are fine.
>>
>>61246960
>anvil
It's Ganoo/Anvil, anon.
>>
>>61247213
I've seen most people just call it "systemd".
>>
File: 43song.gif.gif (288KB, 395x1720px) Image search: [Google]
43song.gif.gif
288KB, 395x1720px
>>61247168
>>61247139
https://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/songs/song43.mp3

Puffy and the mighty Cryptonauts
Trading with new lands by open C
Corporate monsters, many closing passages
Tempting harpies
13 years of treachery

Journey's over, welcome home the heroes
Offering the bounty of their trade
Useful clothing spun from the golden fleece
For the people, free and very strongly made

But something's wrong with them
They will not take our free wares
"What's the matter good people?
Why are you so scared?
Why?"

Then one brave soul spoke out
"We're not allowed to take your gifts
Hypocrites has spoken
There are many new laws"

Hypocrites appears
"Puffy!
You must obey my new rules!"

"First rule one dictates
You cannot give your code away"

(In Greek) To your health, Nick, great bouzouki player and cool dude.

"And rule two dictates
You must give it to me
So I can give it away properly for free"

"The list goes on of course
But for traders this is all you need"

"This is madness!
He has lost his mind!
This defies the first law of free trade
Rule zero came before this rule one
Freedom means you cannot dictate to anyone"

Then Hypocrites goes mad.
>>
>>61247241
The important difference between GPL lawyers and BSD developers, BSD devs know how to have fun and joke around.
>>
File: 43song(1).gif (330KB, 395x1720px) Image search: [Google]
43song(1).gif
330KB, 395x1720px
>>61247241
>>
File: 1398553229411.jpg (147KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1398553229411.jpg
147KB, 500x375px
>>
>>61247322
That's what I'm saying, I feel they are cool people, not code-sjws

https://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/songs/song52.mp3

Linux, the one and only true Unix
We are in every way Posix
We voice our yearning "Someday soon"
We won't need any other.

Then, tomorrow brings a new distro
It's better than the last you know
Another million bits that changed
All the hacks and tweaks we conjure up
They just get pushed into Posix
There's one thing that I know
The world will love it, all Linux

Then, there's other stuff we push as well
Others can work around this hell
With just a million lines of Shell
Now, as standards ape the one Linux
Everyone else just gets stuffed
There's one thing that I'm certain of
The world will love it, all Linux
We are Posix
World, you'll love my Linux
Linux, Linux

explanation
https://www.openbsd.org/lyrics.html#52
>>
>>61247322
>Linux people do what they do because they hate Microsoft [and Apple i might add]. We do what we do because we love Unix.

These people are only happy if people take their code and use it.
>>
>>61246108
>>
File: spongefuckass.jpg (101KB, 955x768px) Image search: [Google]
spongefuckass.jpg
101KB, 955x768px
>>61244363
>>
>>61247386
>>61247409
Understandable, I'd be frustrated if I spent a lot of time writing software only to have it go unused. The whole point to me seems to be to write something useful and to use it and have others use it.
>>
>>61247456
They do it voluntary, seems they do it for fun.
INot unlike hobbyist people who draw, photograph or make videos and publish it for people to enjoy for free. I do think they should be compensated for their work though, not because of any license but because it's the right thing todo. If your company uses GPL, BSD, MIT software I think they should contribute at least something back. As a gesture, a thank you. It's even in the company's own interest I'd argue.
>>
>>61247241
There is a difference between freedom and debauchery.
Freedom comes with rights, restrictions and obligations, debauchery it's just "do whatever you want."
GNU and GPL are freedom. BSD is debauchery.
>>61247353
Linux is not the OS, just the kernel. The OS itself is GNU.
GNU is Not UNIX, so the whole 'muh UNIX' is a moot point.
LMAO @ BSDfags. They fap at 'the UNIX philosophy', while also using a modern web browser on top of a GNU compatibility layer.
>>61247409
>>61247456
Then use BSD. GNU is and has always been about the four freedoms.
>>
>>61247544
Why even reply to me with such a post? I don't tell you what to do.
>>
>>61247544
>I take photograp
>I like to take photograph
>I publish and say you can add to photograph, cut out, use for free or in commercials to make money
>I don't care, as long as you add this note to the work that the original work was created by me and that all other have the same rights to the original work as you do

>debauchery
strong words my friend, it's called publishing something for free of use, not just "for free" as GPL but as in "freedom of use" and in BSD/MIT
>>
File: 1498944030484.jpg (190KB, 1024x585px) Image search: [Google]
1498944030484.jpg
190KB, 1024x585px
>>61242020
That word is starting to annoy me
>>
>>61247625
Faux-free, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU/Free.
>>
>>61247654
Not every shill is paid, most of them do it for free.
>>
>>61247684
That's not what a shill is

By definition, a shill is someone who's paid to advertise a product by pretending to like it

If all they have to gain is a product they like getting more popular, then they aren't a shill, they're just autistic
>>
>>61247625
>company takes photo
>uses it to promote a new law that forbids people from taking photos ever again
The GPL is about making sure that code can only be used in other free as in freedom programs.
Again, freedom has restrictions and duties, debauchery is just 'do whatever you want.'
If you don't care about the code, then use the BSD license; but if you don't want it to end up in a proprietary program, then use the GPL. It's as simple as that.
>>
>>61248039
If I give someone a painting and say do whatever you want with it it's not debauchary. You are using inflamatory language becaguage. It's not a sin to give away code.
>>
>no I don't see the poin of splitting the system in 20 partitions on a home system
you can do whatever you want for the partitions, i doubt you even use linux if you're that stupid

oh wait you're a frogposter
>>
>>61248145
I stand corrected. The word I was looking for was more akin to 'libertinism', but that still has sexual connotations.
I think there is no clear translation to English for the word I had in mind.
What I meant is that absolute freedom can lead to bad stuff. In this case, it means the code will end up in a proprietary program.
>>
>>61241949
OpenBSD is a joke. Its developers and community are the most intellectually dishonest people on earth, and OpenBSD is one of the least secure OSs by far. It is true that the base install (if it works at all, and good luck with that) will be more secure than most linux distro's default install, but if you do anything beyond that in OpenBSD, you lose not a bit of security, but rather the entirety of all "security" provided by it. Meanwhile for other OSs, just a few configs switched on and you're a billion times more secure than OpenBSD could ever be.

OpenBSD has a history of being decades behind in terms of security for 60 years. It has a history of being absolutely unusable for 60 years. It has a history of pure denial for 60 years.
>>
>>61248145
>>>/pol/
>>
>>61248338
says the tard that cant even reply to a post right
>>
>>61246862
>Difference is they only contribute as much as they feel like.
yes and that way we can avoid having a bloated kernel like linux

>>61250274
>giving a frogposter a (You)
>>
>>61249470
what services in ports are you running that aren't in base? and why aren't you employing someone or accepting the responsibilities of admning your phantom software?
>>
>>61242628
Chrome doesn't use WebKit anymore
>>
>>61250841
that picture's filename suggests a 3 year old timestamp, which is still a few months after the switch to blink, though the picture might be older than that (it might be a repost of an older copy)
>>
it's funny this thread has anons saying they don't have time for messing with shit but not willing to admit setting up MAC is probably the most annoying shit ever
>>
Openbsd is where it is today (close to zero mindshare) because Theo is a pompous, arrogant, self entitled part with delusions of grandeur. If they'd ditch him, more people would develop on it, but you need the skin of a rhino or absolutely zero self esteem to be around the guy for long. He's more abrasive than sandpaper asswipe, and life is too short to put with prima donnas.
>>
Prat, fucking autocorrect.
>>
>>61251121
it might be true, but isn't much of an argument. the world of technology is full of cringy people.
>>
>>61247544
Most Linux users don't really care about freetard crap. Stallman's communism might have some good points, but it literally cripples advancement and we'd be decades behind if we didn't have companies competing between themselves in order to create better products so they can earn more money.
Competition is a good thing. And there are also things that don't really work as open-source, or as "free software". Linus, and most of the Linux developers, don't really have a healthy relationship with the FSF and all the GNU crap. They're only where they are now because of their partnership years ago, but I'm sure most would vote to use something else if they have a valid alternative without shortcomings, GNU crap is usually bloated, have a horrible coding style and exists as a political thing, it's not even about technology.

Not saying that's the only reason to use the BSDs, but there are people out there who just don't to be associated with all the "free software" movement, don't really like the bloated GNU tools and would rather keep using small, clean and "correct" software.

Linux, the kernel, is amazing. But almost anything on top of it is really bad.
>>
>>61247544
>Most Linux users don't really care about freetard crap...
And this is why I think they should move to BSD, Solaris or Android. GNU is a political thing, their lack of interest in it is bad for GNU and staying on it is bad for the other projects since that means less development for them.
>Stallman's communism might have some good points...
But the GPL doesn't prevent people from selling software. If anything, companies should release their code because a. It gives them "free" developers and b. It means they don't have to reinvent the wheel and focus on whatever bullshit they want to implement. Look at WebKit, Mac OS or any Apple product. Or at the PS4. Or at Android. Hell, even Microsoft has used open source projects.
>Competition is a good thing...
I disagree. There is no logical reason to lock software besides fucking your users.
>Linus, and most of the Linux developers...
Because they don't understand/care about the FSF's mission. In fact, the only reason they used GPL instead of BSD is because then nobody could use it in proprietary products and thus they are paid to develop it.
>GNU crap is usually bloated
2 Kb of extra features in a binary is hardly noticeable.
>have a horrible coding style
In my experience they use too many commentaries, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
>exists as a political thing, it's not even about technology
It's both.
>Not saying that's the only reason to use the BSDs...
By all means, use BSD. GNU is a different thing. The fact that it became the "de-facto" open source OS is a tragedy since it was never meant to be an open source OS.
>>
>>61241949
>Linux's licensing claims "freedom"
Does it? I though that was GNU thing
>>
>>61252426
Was meant for. >>61251684
>>
>>61251684
>bloated
>>
>>61251684
>Linux, the kernel, is amazing. But almost anything on top of it is really bad
>>
File: record-2017-06-20_00.32.25.webm (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
record-2017-06-20_00.32.25.webm
1MB, 1920x1080px
>systemd is bloat meme

>the tools are quite literally the fastest available
>>
>>61251684
If that were true BSD would be far more advanced than Linux and it isn't.
>>
>>61252751
>far more advanced
what does that even mean
>>
a programmer saying "bloat" is like a psychiatrist saying "crazy". it removes credibility for anything that comes after it.
>>
>>61252858
I think you know what that means :)

Enjoy your feature crippled abandoned forks.
>>
>>61253199
nope. you're barely saying anything beyond "linux is better than bsd". im letting you choose a metric and provide proof of advancement, but apparently your so full of shit to even do that
>>
>>61247654
Quit shilling for rationality and reason, you fucking shill
>>

Which shows just how shitty the BSD devs are

Which is why Linux flew past all the BSD's

As a user the only difference is that OpenBSD developes more slowly and has shitty hardware support, as a developer it means you can take shit and not give back. WHAT A GREAT THING!

Meanwhile a thousand times more financial institutions, webhosting, government agencies all rely on the rock hard stability Linux provides

Fucking bullshit

> OpenBSD's userspace is built alongside the kernel. Everything works well together.

This is the only actual argument with some validity, on the other hand it means the OpenBSD ecosystem developes at a snails pace, and truly cathedral.

> Linux: The kernel was built buy one guy and the userspace was built by a bunch of autistic hippies. Poor documentation and consistency.

Bullshit, if you stick with GNU it's great, the BSD's would never even have gotten anywhere if they wouldn't have been able to piggyback on GCC all these years, fucking leeches, and the same goes for all FOSS desktop oriented software.

> Even "minimal" Linux distros come bundled with bloatware (systemd).

systemd is no more bloat than the userspace you get with the BSD's, and you can use a range of options on Linux, very much unlike the BSD's which are lock-in if there ever was.
>>
>>61254265
>BSD is shit because it was built with a free and open source compiler
Are you implying that no FOSS compiler would have existed until LLVM if it wasn't for GNU?
>>
>>61241949
I don't know about other people, but OpenBSD honestly just runs much slower than Linux on my x220
it all boils down to software support. If you have a "free" OS but you have to run 3 terminal commands to determine the FS, make a directory and manually mount in order to use a flash drive, you're doing something wrong
>tl;dr linux just werks, *bsd doesn't
>>
>>61254326
> i don't appreciate unix

use whatever then and stop shitposting
>>
if you're unsure about bsd or linux, please don't base anything on this thread. its filled with so much raw sewage bill gates yacht couldn't make it through
>>
>>61254333
I do appreciate Unix. My Debian config just works and I have no complaints. It's pros vs cons
>>
>>61241949
>1983 was 20 years ago
>1991 was 20 years ago
>>
>>61254375
you complained about having to mount a usb drive from the command line
>>
>>61254265
>reddit spacing
>>
>>61242573
>Reason why you should go for linux is because not only is it "popular", it is "the best".
You mispelled Windows, m8
>>
>>61254304

>Are you implying that no FOSS compiler would have existed until LLVM if it wasn't for GNU?

YES. And LLVM was actually a new backend for...wait for it... GCC (!), it would never have existed at all had it not been for GCC.
>>
>>61254387
Which is something that I don't have to do on Debian
torrenting, virtual machines etc just work too
>>
>>61242055
>>61243499
why does sony love freebsd?
>>
>>61242828
What do you expect from the followers of an autistic fat fuck
>>
>>61254436
so clickity click clack, why shit on OpenBSD?
>>
>>61254444

>why does sony love freebsd?

Because they can keep their changes proprietary, when you ask those claiming they give 'a lot back to Freebsd' to show the actual code they give back, you get nothing in reply.
>>
>>61243289
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaKIZ7gJlRU

Even Torvalds knows that GPLv3 is bullshit, Stallman is a retarded fuck
>>
>>61242828

>Why are GNU users so hostile and filled with anger, you even see them fight with each other.

LOL, how do you think you ended up with 4 different BSD's (not counting all the dead ones) despite having a shitty small userbase ?

Newsflash: Because they are all forks caused by hostility and anger, OpenBSD forked from NetBSD in anger, DragonflyBSD forked from FreeBSD in anger, they all hate eachother.
>>
>>61254572
I'm not shitting on OpenBSD, I'm just stating the facts
>>
>>61254596
i used to have one bookmarked just for your kind

but hey it's a good thing linux is GPL right, flashing custom ROMs on most android devices is SO easy! the GPL would never stop me from writing proprietary drivers either
>>
>>61254696
oh and let's not forget sony's proprietary APIs which have nothing to do with the operating system
>>
>>61254326
>what is hotplugd
>>
>>61246408
>What kind of fag thinks openbsd is a real OS? Its just a little hobby project created by a couple autistic guys that think they know security.
Linux is the same, real desktop OS are proprietary.
>>
>>61242562
>he doesn't use already use a bunch of partitions on linux
I bet you don't even configure your system and just install the defaults. Pleb.
>>
>>61246682
That's freedom, if you can't stand freedom then fuck you.
>mfw stallman calls his license the 'true license'
Fuck me, that's not free. Go back to school
>>
>>61242573
>unironically shilling for backdoorD
>memory usage doesn't matter
What a disgrace.
>>
>>61254911
multiple partitions are pointless, prove me wrong
>>
>>61247241
>autistic songs
Now BSD is at FSF shithead level
>>
>>61255018
lol at least openbsd parodies actual songs

all the FSF is "YOU'LL BE FREE HACKERS" while stallman plays tam-tams with his thinkpad
>>
>>61247544
>while also using a modern web browser on top of a GNU compatibility layer.
>a GNU compatibility layer
literally what the fuck does he mean by this
>>
>>61247544
>Freedom comes with rights
>i dunno what is freedom
Freedom comes with consequences, not rights
>>
Can we all agree that memes are on a BSD license?
>>
>>61241949
2017 is the year of the BSD desktop

lincucks are just absolutely steamed about eating dust
>>
>>61254980
Yeah, that's why Windows is superior to the other shitty "free" embedded OS
>>
>>61255025
I lold
Stallman is an asshole, I feel more empathy for BSD people, but I don't like it as a desktop OS
>>
File: 1489912044192.png (29KB, 741x568px) Image search: [Google]
1489912044192.png
29KB, 741x568px
if BSD license is so good why is it complete trash
>>
>>61242573
If I load up an apache instance on a modern Linux system, I can get about 800 connections at once without apache shitting itself. On FreeBSD on the same hardware it's around 38,000

Linux isn't "best" it has horrible locking problems. Write 90GB to USB, oops all your memory is gone and you're fucked until it's done. Try to read or write to more than 8 drives at once, oops fuck you wait for 5 minutes before you can even type again

Linux has been going downhill since 2014, they keep adding bugs they don't ever fix again, or refuse to acknowledge as bugs. "Oh no, USB Isn't supposed to be usable! Oh no, the default of using literally all the system memory for file system cache is by design! You system is supposed to lock up if you try to do more than 14 things at once! What did you expect?"

Fucking windows 10 works better than Linux if you ignore viruses and random reboots for updates
>>
>>61255251
>if you ignore viruses and random reboots for updates
Why would you ignore those?
>>
>>61255292
Being a competent user, It's not rocket science.
>>
>>61242892
>everything else about it is fantastic and the sort of people who praise arch or gentoo on this website _for_lack_of_bloat_ would do well to look into it
I agree. BSD doesn't get the praise it deserves here.
>>
File: 1499207787070.jpg (71KB, 541x599px) Image search: [Google]
1499207787070.jpg
71KB, 541x599px
>>61243161
>GPL
>implying that using a Marxist license isn't the definition of being a cuck
>>
Macs are basically using BSD so I automatically believe the claim that its more stable than Linux.
>>
>>61249470
>BSD
>unusable
>embedded in more devices than any other OS
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>61254326
>you have to run 3 terminal commands to determine the FS, make a directory and manually mount in order to use a flash drive
Write a fucking script then you retard
>>
>>61246568
>GPL on the other hand ensures that those who edit contribute back

aka are enslaved under communism aka must work for the collective and give up personal property rights.

>wish to take your code and make money of it

GPL is not a noncommercial license and never was. People are free to sell GPL code all they want.

>takes BSD code and makes a proprietary

Your not entitled to other people's work. Only trust-fund SJW communists think otherwise. If you want their work, you have to pay for it like everything in life.
>>
File: hoppe.jpg (8KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hoppe.jpg
8KB, 480x360px
>>61255952
>aka are enslaved under communism aka must work for the collective and give up personal property rights.
>Your not entitled to other people's work. Only trust-fund SJW communists think otherwise. If you want their work, you have to pay for it like everything in life.
10/10
>>
File: Screenshot_20170707_135303.png (696KB, 1327x622px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170707_135303.png
696KB, 1327x622px
>>61251684
Most GPL/GNU crowed give the impression of being SJWs (Software Justice Warriros), and resentful commies. It's like their driving force is resentment, while the driving force behind BSD is love. It's a generalization, but still it the impression I've gotten after 16 years of having an eye on Linux the community on and off. The impression was actually pretty clear after about 3 years of engagement in Linux (used to buy magazines and stuff). I got into Linux back in the modem days where you had to order DVD basically.

pic related
>>
File: Screenshot_20170706_170823.png (71KB, 696x630px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170706_170823.png
71KB, 696x630px
>>61255251
>>
linus did say he wouldn't have created the linux kernel if he knew FreeBSD existed. Enjoy your redundant OS niggers.
>>
>>61255251
Oops, looks like you inverted your numbers. How unfortunate.
>>
>>61255036
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/172038/what-allows-bsd-to-run-linux-binaries-but-not-vice-versa
https://superuser.com/questions/593188/freebsd-compatibility-layer-on-linux
They were even debating whether or not to add systemd compatibility.
BSD third party catalogue is a almost non-existant. They depend on GNU binaries, otherwise they'd be stuck using only Links2 and Vi.
Oh, and it's retarded to fap to "the UNIX philosophy" if you're using a modern web browser or video player because they do so much shit at once.
>>61255952
>aka are enslaved under communism aka must work for the collective and give up personal property rights.
Not an argument. You're using nonsensical comparisons to make one sound evil.
>GPL is not a noncommercial license and never was. People are free to sell GPL code all they want
Which is why it's retarded to use BSD if you want to sell a product.
>Your not entitled to other people's work. Only trust-fund SJW communists think otherwise. If you want their work, you have to pay for it like everything in life
Not an argument. Ad-hominem attack.
>>
>>61257678
>Not an argument
This is what you're saying when you don't know how to argue back
>>
>>61259066
>This is what you're saying when you don't know how to argue back
There were no arguments in that post. "SJW communist" is not an argument, it's a personal attack against the developers.
>>
>>61252751
The BSDs had legal problems when Linus decided to write Linux, he said it himself that he would've never done it if FreeBSD was there when he needed it. The only reason he wrote his Kernel from scratch was because he couldn't get it anywhere else.

The legal problems during that time, and a few decades that followed it, were enough to encourage people and companies to invest in Linux instead despite being a newer project and considerably less professional at the time. It had absolutely nothing to do with what was better at the time, or with the FSF's political movement.

Skipping a few years in the timeline and you have multiple companies and developers, who invested in Linux early on, seeing an opportunity to jump ship and invest in the BSDs, now more or less without the chances of getting sued.

But why would they? The main reason to use something like FreeBSD instead of Linux was the better networking stack, so only a few very networking oriented companies bothered to support it. Nowadays you could argue that it's also objectively better for storage systems due to native ZFS, but that wasn't exactly the case back then.

Linux skyrocketed to where it's at nowadays because we didn't have any other safe options back then, it wasn't because it was magically better at everything. Although nowadays, after billions and billions invested at it, it probably is great in almost everything.
Thread posts: 300
Thread images: 51

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.