[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thread about technology used for music production

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: vst-plugins.jpg (15KB, 496x289px) Image search: [Google]
vst-plugins.jpg
15KB, 496x289px
>>
>tfw for the first time achieved a buttery smooth pad from init scratch

suddenly it sounded like the smoothest strings I've ever heard.

oatmeal VST is fucking goat.
>>
>hate Windows
>hate macOS
>vsts are only available for those two operating systems, for the most part
fuck life, fuck music and fuck technology.
we'll be stuck using ancient OSs in a thousand years because of vsts
>>
>>61233731
MIDI was introduced as v1.0 in the 80s and has not been changed, modified or updated at all since then, even slightly. That's really cool.
Is MIDI the only truly perfect protocol?
>>
>>61234381
Reaper supports Linux.
>>
>>61233731
Izotop ozone 7 is the best vst in the world
>>
>>61234412
Reaper supports Linux but like 80% of most VSTs don't, unless it's through Wine. So Reaper in Linux is going to be fine if you're making lo-fi rock music, I guess. Other than that, you're fucked.

Also, Linux is not too great either.
>>
>>61234381
i built my own DAW, synths, sampler and fxs on linux
it's not hard, you don't even need that much math for the basics of dsp required to do this shit
if you are a musician and aren't a fluent programmer in 2017 you're a cuck

>>61233753
>oatmeal
i puked a bit
if you want seven thousands knobs to tweak, get zebra2

>>61234396
MIDI fucking sucks, it made sense when we had to worry about saving a couple bytes here and there, but right now it's just a legacy nuisance

>>61234412
REAPER does't support linux, it just has an half baked alpha that basically doesn't work. Running it in wine + wineasio works decent for the most part and the latency is actually usually lower as low or lower than on windows, but it's just too unstable to be worth it. maybe you can do electronic music with it, but you'd have to be crazy to record with it

>>61234426
never has someone been so wrong on the internet
everything ozone 7 does, it's done ten times better by a free plugin
the dynamic processing in ozone 7 gets SHAT ON by kotelnikov + that one multiband saturation plug i forgot the name of + Limiter No6

>>61234435
>80% of most VSTs don't
Unless you need sampling or synthesis, ReaPlugs are basically sufficient for any kind of production from pop to metal
>>
>>61234512
>i built my own DAW, synths, sampler and fxs on linux
literally WHY
>>
>>61234512
>MIDI fucking sucks, it made sense when we had to worry about saving a couple bytes here and there, but right now it's just a legacy nuisance
wait a sec are u trying to h y u c c me
>>
>>61234512
>MIDI fucking sucks
What do you suggest in its place?
>>
File: file.png (51KB, 500x283px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
51KB, 500x283px
>>61234577
because it's fun and my job gives me freedom to do whatever the fuck in the lots of free time i have

>>61234607
nothing, see xkcd on standards
it's probably one of the most standardized protocols in all of computer engineering, and even though it's annoying to deal with, its a small enough (relatively speaking) that you can build an abstraction layer once and never worry about it that much

when i do quick n dirty projects where i don't need all the information that midi carries (eg ML or deep learning), i use whatever textual representation suits the task best, maybe it's

ms_start ms_end freq_hz vel_0to1

or maybe it's just a json list, or whatever
but even in my daw i use midi, it's just convenient when everyone else speaks the same language

for example, when i need to launch kontakt instances in my linux daw, i can just send midi data to a windows VM
>>
>>61234512
while I find windows a bit depressing to use, I had to come to terms with the fact no one is ever going to pay me for ricing my Gentoo install to work as a fully featured production environment, and no matter how hard I try it wont be as good as what i can put together with a couple of hours on windows and a few torrents.

I respect that you built your own DAW but it was probably shit and you probably spent far less time actually making music as a result of it.

Post screens of the DAW anyway though i am intrigued
>>
>>61234859
i'm going to dig up a project file when I get home in half an hour or so
>Post screens of the DAW
it's probably not what you're expecting... projects are just python scripts that contain all the data and call the daw libraries
>it was probably shit
i like it more than reaper to be honest, and that's my favourite traditional daw
i mostly make electronic music tho
>>
File: 1498617826899.jpg (52KB, 334x349px) Image search: [Google]
1498617826899.jpg
52KB, 334x349px
>>61234381

I'm using FL with latest Wine in Linux Mint and every VST is working perfectly fine.
>>
File: folder.jpg (150KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
150KB, 600x600px
I've got a wishlist of instruments my new promotion is going to pay for.

>roland TB3
>and a tr8
>Korg minilogue
>kaoss pad 3

I want to build a set up around these. Opinions? Advice?
>>
>>61234930
i personally think hardware synths are a meme, i'd much prefer a big ass control surface with 32 knobs 32 faders 32 crossfaders 16 pads 8 wheels and so on, with profiles for most popular softsynths, so you get the tactile feedback of hardware and the convenience of software
>b-but the warmth
>b-but the color
just buy a fucking saturation and tape emulation
>>
>>61234993
Eh, some people say that these instruments lack the warmth of their predecessors, they're not true analogue. Sure enough I can imitate that sound with effects and stuff, though.

I'm just more tactile. When I've created stuff completely digitally, it all becomes a bit abstract and I can't focus and get my sound out. Projects end up perpetually unfinished.
>>
>>61235107
yeah, that's the big advantage of analog and i think that even a lot of the analog guys miss... it's not about the sound, it's about the process

which is why i'd love that big ass control surface
>>
File: file.png (73KB, 1097x630px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
73KB, 1097x630px
>>61234859
keep in mind that this is not open source. i also changed the project name in the code and removed a few file and var names. this is just a really simple example from the beginning of a project i use as a test case.

the comments are actually metadata for a text editor i'm also making for scratch. right now i use macros to insert common constructs but the display and editing interface could be way better

without posting the actual code, basically the most interesting part of this kind of daw is that you can define things with a precision and clarity that just isn't there with traditional GUIs. just think of how many different behaviors you get when copy pasting automation in different daws, and how many different results you get from the interaction of the boundary points of the automation you copied and the automation present where you paste it. code is very explicit and basically there are no surprises

after a couple of projects it's just as natural as using a DAW but it's more fun as a programmer
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.