[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any software at all that's guaranteed by the author

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1472069536452.png (189KB, 600x489px) Image search: [Google]
1472069536452.png
189KB, 600x489px
Are there any software at all that's guaranteed by the author to work under designed condition? Nobody has the balls declare something like

THE SOFTWARE IS GUARANTEED TO BE FREE OF ANY DEFECTS AND WORK 100 PERCENT OF THE TIME HOLYSHIT
>>
>>61228127
>Nobody has the balls declare something like

Exactly. Some smartass (((customer))) thinks of a bullshit he cannot do in your program and sues the shit out of you.
>>
>>61228127
you would be an idiot to make such a garantee
>>
>>61228127
the closest are mission-critical software, and even they will pobably have to include legal mumbo-jumbo to limit liability in case of exceptional failure conditions. there's pretty much nothing that guarantees perfect operation at all times. humans error, and forces of nature are things you can't control. and hardware fails too eventually.
>>
>>61228127
You're never going to see that because they can't account for all use cases. Insurance/warranties would come later in the process, not be tied to the software.
>>
>>61228528
I mean they didn't have to account for every single conceivable use case, just for usage strictly within design spec and situation.
>>
>>61228548
Which you don't know. So why put it in?
>>
That's pretty much impossible.

Now I'd like to know what's the most stable piece of software in existance. It'd be nice to know what that is. Something that you would have to try your darndest to make it fail just a little.
>>
>>61228127
>Nobody has the balls declare something like
>THE SOFTWARE IS GUARANTEED TO BE FREE OF ANY DEFECTS AND WORK 100 PERCENT OF THE TIME HOLYSHIT
That is literally impossible, they would be lying if they were saying that and everyone would know that.

Especially if you are distributing free software you do NOT want to open yourself to a lawsuit when your software fails, that would be completely idiotic.

For consumer software this is also irrelevant, but for non-civilian applications there is thoroughly tested software with a guarantee that it will do what it should.
Companies like redhat are doing exactly that. The Linux-kernel does not guarantee anything for the user, which would make it useless for any kind of military applications.
But redhat gives exactly that guarantee which allows Linux to be used for mission critical equipment.
>>
>>61228592
Debian Stable withouth contrib and nonfree enabled
>>
>>61229431
Well, it can be any kind of software, not just OSes. But yes that might be right. I'm one of those people who appreciate having one thing working the same exact way for years without trouble.
>>
>>61228592
>Now I'd like to know what's the most stable piece of software in existance.
a hello world program you idiot
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.