[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ubuntu vs Linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

File: 17_1_0.jpg (14KB, 300x393px) Image search: [Google]
17_1_0.jpg
14KB, 300x393px
What is the difference between Ubuntu and Linux?

It seems in Ubuntu I have to type a shitload of code just to install things, is Linux like this as well? I never had to do that in Windows.

I mean, Ubuntu is Linux as well, isn't it? What's the difference? Is it basically just a version of Linux?
>>
>>>/trash/
>>>/v/
>>>/f/ag
>>>/r/eddit
>>
>>61211658
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
Do you guys prefer Ubuntu or Linux Mint?
>>
>>61211716
xubuntu
>>
File: 1499143632085.jpg (103KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1499143632085.jpg
103KB, 480x360px
>>61211704

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as GNU/Linux, is in fact, GNU/GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus GNU plus Linux. GNU/Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU/GNU system made useful by the GNU/GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by GNU/POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU/GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU/GNU which is widely used today is often called "GNU/Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically theGNU/GNU system, developed by the GNU/GNU Project.

There really is a GNU/Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. GNU/Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. GNU/Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU/GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU/GNU with GNU/Linux added, or GNU/GNU/Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/GNU/Linux.
>>
>>61211658
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
But Ubuntu is Linux and Linux isn't an operating system
>>
>>61211658
Are you unaware that Ubuntu is Linux?
>>
>>61211716
Mint.
>>
File: IMG_20170605_212742.jpg (3MB, 4208x2368px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170605_212742.jpg
3MB, 4208x2368px
>>61211658
Are you retarded or something?
>>
>>61211940
If Ubuntu is Linux and Mint is Linux, does that mean that Ubuntu is Mint?
>>
>>61212044
If humans are mammals and cats are mammals does that mean humans are cats?
>>
>>61211658 (OP)
>>
>>61212044
Yes! Finally you get it!
>>
>>61212073
Cats lay eggs you fucking doughnut
>>
Dude is like comparing a car with a car engine.
>>
I know this is a troll thread, but I had a lot of sleeping pills so here's a serious reply.

Linux is a very broad word, similar to saying "Car" but without specifying what kind.

Ubuntu Linux is like a type of car- family friendly, ready to drive, and easy to learn because the transmission is *automatic*.

Debian is another type of car that looks just like Ubuntu, but you kind of have to finish attaching the missing components like mirrors, car stereo, wheels, etc. Tansmission is Manual/Stick shift in Debian.

Arch and Gentoo are like having a 3d printer that prints your car parts one at a time. You have to put these parts together yourself, during which you learn a lot about the internals of the system. Once your'e done with all the trial and error, your car runs faster than all the other cars. Only catch is that it's not very user friendly for beginers.
>>
>>61212073
I wish I was a cat desu
>>
File: arch.jpg (129KB, 799x737px) Image search: [Google]
arch.jpg
129KB, 799x737px
>>61212185
>>
>>61212073
>tfw you will never fuck cat girls
also fuck those cia nigger
>>
>>61211658
>It seems in Ubuntu I have to type a shitload of code just to install things,
You're doing it wrong, open a package manager like Synaptic.
>>
File: 1498723595763.png (127KB, 339x273px) Image search: [Google]
1498723595763.png
127KB, 339x273px
>>61212185
Is this what loonix fags actually believe? Gee, no wonder no one likes you.
>>
>>61211658
same as the difference between windows and nt, or macos and darwin
>>
>>61211658
>I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
>Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
>Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>61211716
Mint all day everyday
>>
File: 1356097338842.png (240KB, 1000x1026px) Image search: [Google]
1356097338842.png
240KB, 1000x1026px
>all the hutt burt in this thread by triggered faggots who can't resist low-hanging fruit
my opinion of /g/ diminishes further every day
>>
>>61215535
fuck off furfag
>>
>>61215535
back to the containment board
>>
>>61211658
ubuntu is a os who use gnu/linux kernel basically
>>
>>61211658
Linux is a part of Ubuntu, Ubuntu provides a lot of software besides Linux to make a complete operating system (such as a graphical user interface).
Linux is a kernel, very simply put a piece of software which provides an interface between hardware and software. Windows has a kernel too, but that kernel is not windows.
You can not compare Ubuntu and Linux.

Also Ubuntu does not require you to type a single line of code.

>>61211716
Mint is considered harmful, you really should never use it. Debian/Ubuntu are nearly the same they just come without a variety of issues that Mint introduces.
>>
>>61211935
>Ubuntu is Linux and Linux isn't an operating system
By that logic Ubuntu is not an operating system either, which is clearly false.

Linux is a (very much vital) part of Ubuntu. But Linux and Ubuntu are different things.
>>
File: rms.jpg (126KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
rms.jpg
126KB, 1024x682px
>>61211658
>>
install gentoo?
>>
>>61211658
Are you a dumbass? Ubuntu is a Linux distro you fucking newfag.
>>
>>61212966
It's more like stage 1 gentoo installation. Also arch have 3rd party installers and you can write scripts for your setup.
>>
Debian based distros in general are a cancer on loonix world
>>
>>61216129
They are LITERALLY the only reason anyone uses Linux at all.
>>
>>61211658
Basically there are a lot of linuxes but ubuntu is the best linux, that's why it's popular. Other linuxs don't really work but their users pretend they do because they spent alot of money
>>
>>61216129

Whatever you say, Lennart.
>>
>>61216147

>what is RedHat
>>
>>61211716
Mint is a better ubuntu, just as ubuntu is a better debian, upon which it is based.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.