[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many people on /g/ only use linux? Do more people dual

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 10

File: Tux_Mono.svg.png (76KB, 848x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Tux_Mono.svg.png
76KB, 848x1024px
How many people on /g/ only use linux? Do more people dual boot than not?
>>
install gentoo
>>
I try to stay on linux as much as I can, especially for making side projects and light gaming (indie titles) but sometimes I have to use Windows for work related things
>>
There's no reason not to dual boot. Still I prefer to run Linux on VM.
>>
I use GNU/Linux only because fuck Windows
>>
i never touched a windows in a year. i only do research, write and watch films though.
>>
All Linux users left /g/ for other *chans because /g/ is fucking cancer full of windows users. This board makes me sick.
>>
>>61207387
According to the stats I have access to 9.24% of /g/ users use Linux.

Windows usage is at 37.62%, Android 34.32% and iOS 11.55% and Mac 4,62%.

The 2-3% left are in stuff like chromebooks, console browsers and other shit.
>>
>>61207387
I only use gnu/Linux these days.
(And a degoogled android phone).
I use it at work and I use it at home for entertainment.
The last time I had windows on my own machine was several years ago where I installed it on a spare drive to play games for a weekend.
I used to dualboot, but once something works with gnu/Linux, it works better with gnu/Linux.
And if I had to use windows, I would rather keep it in a VM.
>>
>>61207579
Android and ChromeOS are linux though
>>
>>61207387
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!
>>
>>61207668
When I said Linux I meant desktop glibc based GNU/Linux systems.

There is also a non zero amount of GNU/Hurd users
>>
>>61207387
With the time I tend to use linux more and more.
I boot on windows once in a while to play a game that doesn't run on linux, but it's rare now
>>
File: 1405107274975.gif (1018KB, 499x374px) Image search: [Google]
1405107274975.gif
1018KB, 499x374px
>>61207387
Linux is my daily driver and default boot where I spend 90% of my time, but I keep a small partition with Windows for gaming on the side whenever I feel like playing windows only video games once in awhile.
>>
I don't have Windows on any of my PCs, I have no use for it. Last time I tried to use it it fucked up the time on my Linux partition, so I got rid of it after realizing it was useless.
>>
>>61207387
I use it in a daul boot with open BSD on my thinkpad x60.
>>
>>61207739
I use GNU+hurd. Did you count me?
>>
>>61207579
9.24% soon to be ITT.
>>
I have 6 computers I use regularly. One is a media center pc running debian stable. One file server/torrent machine running a Debian distro(don't want to look right now). One with Debian for game servers I turn on sometimes. My main rig only runs arch, my main laptop runs void. My last laptop runs windows to play league of legends because I am addicted to it. I also have a few other computers I boot sometimes for messing around with *bsd and/plan 9. I don't dual boot so I win!
>>
>>61207387
I use it exclusively.

>>61207579
What "stats"? I hope you're not talking about the botnet threads.
>>
I only run Windows in a VM, for downloading manga (the only good manga downloader program doesn't work with Wine) and writing music (FL Studio + VSTs).

Does that count?
>>
>>61207387
no dual boot
win7 on gaymen pc and loonix on shitposting/media pc's
>>
>>61207387
Debian stable + some backports repos is my main desktop
Servers are all CentOS because we use Red Hat at work and I'm super familiar with it
I have CentOS on a laptop, believe it or not it makes a great web browsing/shitposting distro
I have a Chromebook that I'm too lazy to put a proper distro on
That's it. I don't have Windows at all anymore.
>>
>>61207579
>Android 34.32% and iOS 11.55%
This is more disgusting than the Windows users.
>>
>>61207387
I only use linux at home, about 6 years now. I dual booted for a while but it became too much of an annoyance to update, so I said fuck it. I use windows at work though, because they make me.
>>
>>61207538
But mah gaymes....
>>
>>61207538
What are some comfy chans?
>>
>>61207387
Linux/FreeBSD dualboot master race
>>
>>61208393
I heard good things about reddit and 9gag
>>
linux only

i have 3 laptops and they all run bodhi

i have a win 10 gaming desktop with bunch of ripped games but i keep it offline aside from when i rip more games

i miss the 90's-early 2000 warez days
>>
GNU/Linux has so much support now there's either none or 1 reason not to use it. It's everywhere around you!
>>
Well, my motherboard's firmware only boots Linux but I do run Windows 10 too...
>>
dual booting is a pain in the ass. i'll just use windows if that's the only option.

eventually i'll upgrade my system (3.5 years old now, i5 4670k) to something that supports PCI passthrough and i'll game on windows in QEMU on linux.

The fact is that however much linux fags will deny it, Linux really doesn't do gaming, and it never will.
>>
>>61208550
>Linux really doesn't do gaming, and it never will.
If a sufficient amount of desktop users use GNU/Linux then game developers would develop for it because it'll earn them that $$$
>>
>>61207387
I run Gentoo as a Hyper V VM like anyone else with a brain.
>>
>>61208676
Hyper V is not a VM you fucking retard
>>
>>61208788
Hyper V VM you stupid fucking faggot. Learn to read you dumb cunt.
>>
>>61207387
my laptops and desktops only run ganoo loonix, but i do have one desktop running windows but rarely gets used as i dont need windows often and if i do i usually can do the job in a vm. few server virtual machines run windows server too but mostly its loonix for me
>>
>>61208788

Not him, but how is Hyper-V not just a headless VM setup?
>>
>>61207387
I rarely use Windows anymore. I fire up the Windows box for a game once in a while(less than monthly), or to grab updates. I prefer Linux, desu.
>>
>>61208798
Learn English first you uneducated mongrel.
>>
>>61207387
If you think this is a question ,go back to 9gag
>>
>>61207387
GNU/Linux only here, on 4 machines
>>
>desktop linux
why
>>
>>61207828
you install windows before linux for a dual boot
>>
>>61208916
>Hyper V VM
>that's not a VM!
Kill yourself.
>>
>>61208944
It's pretty great, honestly. Sure, when you first start using it, it can be a little overwhelming, but it's not nearly as bad as it was a couple of years ago. I only use Windows as a gaming console now. (dedicated machine)
>>
>>61208944
For me, software development is a fucking pain in the ass in Windows
>>
>>61208944
gotta be counter culture, hip and different
>>
>>61208944
Because I want to.
>>
>>61208944

Windows 7 is going to die soon (2020) and i don't plan to move on windows 8 or 10
>>
>>61207457
>>61207465
do you guys use wine? just asking

>>61207579
holy shit @ mobile usage. I just couldn't surf a message board on a tablet or mobile. I NEED a freaking actual keyboard.

>>61208949
it's possible to do it the other way around, but UEFI and BCD purposedly make it harder than it needs to be. just use easyBCD community edition.

>>61208944
oddly enough no one mentioned security
>>
>>61207387
me since 2007
>>
>>61209316
>wine
i don't. i tried it for ms office, it didn't really work. i use google documents for office programs. otherwise there is no ms program i want to run on linux.
>>
File: 1458094031040.jpg (56KB, 599x769px) Image search: [Google]
1458094031040.jpg
56KB, 599x769px
>>61209254
why would it "die"?
>>
>>61209365
End of Life support from Microsoft. Unless you want to relive the same shit XP users who refused to upgrade had to live through with security vulnerabilities and no hardware support for newer machines.
>>
I have only used Linux for about three years. Gone back and forth between various distros, including Puppy, Arch, and even OpenBSD for a brief stretch (was not convenient as a laptop OS though).

I don't use Wine/Windows VMs, but I also have no real job (math student).

It's really not too hard. In fact, in many cases, Linux is more convenient than Windows, i.e., typing
yaourt <program name>
is much, much easier than scouring the web for a torrent for some shitty outsourced piece of software that barely works. An exaggeration, but you get my point.

Also, I don't play games, so that eliminates the need for Windows even further.

If you are going to switch, pick some distro you enjoy using, not some obscurantist trash that you only use because /g/ will call you a faggot if you don't.
>>
>>61209316
Clover made it way too easy to phonepost, at least on Android. My every waking moment is spent permanently connected to 4chan. I guess this is how normies feel about facebook.
>>
GNU/Linux only here

Debian jessie on server
Debian stretch on workstation
>>
File: 1498948115373.png (127KB, 1690x529px) Image search: [Google]
1498948115373.png
127KB, 1690x529px
>>61208664
It'll never happen, but keep dreaming, and go ahead and argue/disagree with me if you feel you need to.
>>
>>61208944
customization, freedom, privacy, optimization, convenience, security, stability, community, enjoyment
>>
>>61207387
Linux : work
Windows : games

I have a huge gaming pc with win10 (for the timeni bought it anyway) and a x220 for real work with Kubuntu.

Best of both worlds, however, i would use linux all the time if possible.
>>
>>61208550
GPU Passthrough with QEMU is pretty good, better than I had expected but most people wouldn't be willing to put the time into researching how to set it up and paying more for the hardware.
Would be great if in the future you can pull it off with a single GPU bound to host OS without passing it through to the VM and achieve the same near native performance.

Passing USB devices by device ID isn't stellar as well, had to pass through an entire PCIE USB3.0 controller to get my Vive working because QEMU has a limit of 4 USB devices and the Vive alone exceeded that limit.
Device input emulation is a bit of a pain since you cannot switch back and forth seamlessly and can risk being locked out of host OS, its as simple as ctrl+alt +g on the VM but on the host OS the stupid QEMU window is always in focus which is an eye sore if you want to use the host Display. So your choices to mitigate that are either pony up the cash for another keyboard+mouse or buy a KVM switch.
>>
>>61207451
There is no reason to use loonix
>>
>>61207387
debian at home since 2014, OSX at work (for the unix tools + company support)
>>
>>61207387
I use Debian on everything but my MacBook, so almost. Though I don't do anything with OS X that I can't do with GNU/Linux. OS X and Windows could cease to exist and I wouldn't be impacted at all aside from some lost Safari bookmarks and a few of my work files.
>>
Like what a lot of other people here are saying I just use Windows for gaming, work, school, other normie shit.
My serious coding and other projects will be done with Ubuntu tho.
>>
>>61211342
What software do they make you run in school which doesn't work?
>>
I used to dual boot Debian and Windows 10. Then I started getting Windows updates which fucked the system every time and had to be reverted just to boot. Backed up, formatted everything and been using only Debian since then.
>>
File: govgetoutreee.jpg (30KB, 565x346px) Image search: [Google]
govgetoutreee.jpg
30KB, 565x346px
>>61207794
I'm taking this gif here is snek meme for payment.
>>
I do. Also dual boot, for muh gamin now and then with friends.
>>
>>61207387
I have 4 computers in my house. 3 laptops, one slimline. Slimline runs XP Media Center because I occasionally want to make new ringtones for my iPhone.

That's all I use it for (and no, it isn't connected to the internet).
>>
>>61207387
I used to dual boot, then windows died into an unrecoverable state due to a fast shutdown while I was reinstalling grub.
I never used it so I didn't bother reinstalling
>>
>>61207387
Linux and windows in a vm offline.
The anti linux fud is very thick lately.
>>
>>61207538
THIS
H
I
S
>>
>>61207387
i have one desktop running w7, one headless with arch, one laptop with arch and a shitty laptop with gentoo
>>
As a student, there is literally no reason to use Windows.
Google Docs & LibreOffice are prefect for taking notes, and there's not much else to do.
I do all my programming on Linux, including C#. Vim has surprisingly good C# support.
>>
>>61207387
I use arch linux, 100% of the time
>>
>>61209388
> yaourt
fucking kill yourself, or use pacaur
>>
I drifted away from windows when ubuntu 8.04 came out, never used any windows version after XP. Never used unity, just gnome flashback on my main machines, lubuntu on old stuff.
Does everything I need it to and does it well. I like how I can use old jumble sale peripherals and they generally work ootb
>>
>>61208438
good maymay my friend xDDD
>>
>>61207387
Used to dualboot because needed windows-only software at my job.

Removed windows completely just a month ago.
>>
>>61207579
>console browsers
But they cannot post, right? I've tried to post through LynX in Minix and couldn't pass captcha.
>>
File: stapler.jpg (23KB, 444x375px) Image search: [Google]
stapler.jpg
23KB, 444x375px
>>61207387
I dualboot for games

I wish I could use Linux only but WINE has wanncry vunerabilities.
>>
>>61208944
I don't see why not. I stopped playing video games when they began requiring expensive 3D accelerators. This means my workflow has remained much the same the past 20 years. What the hell do you need, really? 80% of the time I only have a web browser and a couple of terminal windows up, and it's been like that since the 1990s.
>>
File: Xubuntu.png (71KB, 649x473px) Image search: [Google]
Xubuntu.png
71KB, 649x473px
>>61207387

+1
I don't dual boot. I'm not a PC gamer so I don't need Windows. Everything else is better in the linux world
>>
People who don't play games - what non-normie hobbies do you do?
>>
>>61214353
books are p cool
>>
>>61214353

Are you implying that playing games is a non-normie activity? And you can play games outside of windows world. Just not Crysis type of games.

Anyway here are a few of my hobbies, as a non-windows user:

* bushcraft
* programming/hacking stuff
* playing pool IRL
>>
File: Sony-Betamovie-BMC-100P.jpg (213KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Sony-Betamovie-BMC-100P.jpg
213KB, 1366x768px
>>61214353
>videogames
>non-normie

UNHOLY KEK
>>
>>61214353
football every sunday
>>
>>61214353
beating my meat to stacys I went to high school with. playing one spin russian roulette with myself. reading proust. reading blackpill threads on /pol/. clipping my smelly toenails and hiding them at offices whenever i provide on-site support. papercraft.

Just some of the things a normal GNU/Linux user does day to day.
>>
>>61207387
I dual boot though to be perfectly honest none of the available options are actually good or work all that well.
Linux isn't "there" yet for me to ditch Windows completely, and Windows has only regressed since 7...
>>
>>61207451
ridiculous, virtualization
>>
On a dual boot right now, I use LM for work and internet and Win7 for vidya and watching movies
>>
>>61207387
Dualboot Arch/Win7 here
>for professional reasons
>>
>>61214266
Anon might mean games consoles.
>>
File: 1494514707608.gif (2MB, 245x187px) Image search: [Google]
1494514707608.gif
2MB, 245x187px
>>61208393
Lainchan is pretty good. Just don't go on the wrong one.
>>
>>61207387
I'm almost there. Once this shitty MMO I play dies to death I'm getting rid of my Windows machine.
>>
>>61207387
I use Fedora in my desktop and arch in my laptop. But I still need that windows 10 crap for college stuff. I'm dual booting but I'll probably move it to a vm running on Linux. And I still do my gaymes (most of the games I like works on linux though).
>>
>>61207387
I use Ubuntu exclusively with no other computer, no dual boot, and no Wine
I do use Steam though
>>
>>61217471
>Ubuntu
Stoped reading there.
>>
>>61215894
Lainchan is hacker news the image board.
>>
>>61215894
>wrong one
which one is the wrong one, the original domain or the newer one?
>>
>>61207387
Dualbooted my laptop 4 months ago with debian. Haven't booted into windows since then.
>>
>>61207387
Only GNU/Linux user here. I refuse to go back to the pile of shit Windows is.
>>
>>61208550
>Linux really doesn't do gaming, and it never will.
Good, let's keep it that way. Fuck all those gaming faggot normalfags.
>>
>>61214353
>video games
>non normie
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Holy shit dude everybody and their fucking mom plays video games now. Have you noticed in recent years the "I'm such a gaymer" type rise. It's what the normalfags like right now.
>>
>>61207387
my laptop has exclusively linux.
my desktop has exclusively windows.
>>
i've ran only linux for around 6 months now, no dual boot, wine or vm
>>
I'm not that retard to install linux on a computer with more than an Intel HD, but very happy with fedora on my R30-A
Thread posts: 111
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.