[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are bandwidth caps a thing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 156
Thread images: 14

Why are bandwidth caps a thing?
>>
>>61206848
It's simple really, cable tv companies also happen to internet service providers. They are losing the cable tv market share to netflix and what not so to discourage people from using said services they added bandwidth caps
>>
>>61206848
Just be a good goy and let the free market sort things out for you.
>>
>>61206848

Because there's not enough last mile bandwidth to go around to provide the normies with 100Mbps+ speeds.
>>
>>61206848
Because bandwidth is expensive to create and move to your house.
>>
Internets tubes get clogged up yo
>>
because companies are greedy and cord cutters are eating into their profits.
>>
>>61207263
/thred
member when they promised us gigaBYTE connection by 2010?
ofc you don't, you were only 10 at the time.
>>
>live in euroop
>work IT responsible/wannabe sysadmin
>website, the main source of income, has 125gb datacap per month
>switching to a real host from not-1995 is infinitely more cheap
>would pay for itself on the first month
>management says no because it'd cause like an hour of downtime to move things
fucking data caps
>>
>>61206848
I hate Jews
>>
>>61206848
because jews are a thing
>>
>>61207128
good thing all that was subsidized
>>
the internet is not a big truck, its a series of tubes

those tubes can get clogged up when too much internet goes through them
>>
>>61206848
It isn't in my county.
I get what I pay for.

Although 4G can be a little slower in busy areas sometimes.
>>
heaviest users outweigh the cost and risk of the return on investment to stabilize, load balancing acting as a limited liability on uptime
>>
So your ISP can have more shekels and infrastructure aint cheap
>>
>Hey baker, I want to buy one whole bread
Sure, that's $2.
>OK (pay $2)
Here is half a bread.
>??? I asked for a whole bread
It's busy in the shop, we can only supply you with half.
>But I payed for a whole bread, so can I get half my money back?
Oy Vey! you wants your money back? It's anotha Shoa! No be glad I even gave you half, if you pay double next time you might get some more....unless everybody pays double of course then we have to ration the bread again because there just isn't enough bread what can I do?
>>
File: 45363464.png (49KB, 868x589px) Image search: [Google]
45363464.png
49KB, 868x589px
Because Hitler failed at stopping (((them)))
>>
>>61206848
To discourage people from being bandwidth hogs.
>>
>>61208726

Taxpayer subsidized infrastructure.
>>
>>61208742
Read your contract over instead of crying about juice being all your problems.
>>
>>61206848
>His country still has datacaps
I haven't even seen one since 2005
>>
>>61208811
If they wanted to do that then they'd QoS you during peak hours when a gorillion normies are streaming, but not give a fuck if you used terabytes of bandwidth in the middle of the night when theres no network congestion. The "monthly cap" structure is what betrays that it's not about discouraging congestion at all.
>>
>>61209091
I've never hit one or heard of someone hitting theirs in real life. Its set oretty high and you have to be seeding a lot of torrents all day to hit it. I never come close, since i dont watch netflix for 12 hours a day
>>
>>61209104
Every person who has cried on /g/ for hitting the cap was torrenting massive amounts of shit and seeding. This arguement that people are hitting the cap by just watching netflix is a strawman.
>>
>>61209104
>>61209144
My point being stopping all the excessive torrenting does reduce congestions
>>
>>61209144
>torrenting massive amounts of shit and seeding.
you say that as if its a bad thing
>>
>>61209154
It does when i, a normal user, have to subsidize the abusers who rape their servers and drive up costs. Same reasons why unlimited data on phones didnt last, abuse and tethering. If you want to rape their servers you are welcome to pay more, i do not require that much bandwidth so i should pay less
>>
>>61209177
>corporation abuses him
>charges him more money and places arbitrary limits on enormously abundant bandwidth when the capacity has already been built and paid for
>blames everyone except the corporation
>"No, it's those evil other people that make the monopoly ISP have no choice but to exploit me! They need to stop!"
>>
File: sdw.gif (13KB, 180x210px) Image search: [Google]
sdw.gif
13KB, 180x210px
>>61206848
>>
>>61207099
thats not how it works though, the only real issue would be during peak hours, capping you monthly makes no sense.

During the hours of 2am-8am, I highly doubt there is ANY issue with congestion, yet that monthly data cap still counts against you despite the fact you're not getting in anyways way at these hours, no matter how much data you download.

If you want to defend data caps, push for timed caps, for example 1TB of bandwidth during primetime hours of 4-11pm every day. After midnight until mid afternoon however should be unrestricted.

It doesn't cost them any more money to send more data, the only thing that particularly costs them money is infrastructure, so limiting peek use is the only effective way to remedy the problem, when you see ISPs just putting up blanket data caps, you know they're doing it just to be able to charge overage fees, they don't give a fuck about reducing peek hour use.
>>
>>61209154
you should pay for a seedbox you fucking poor person
>>
>>61209207
A while back someone leaked one of Comcast's own internal documents admitting that the data cap was purely for revenue and had nothing to do with network congestion. That's just how they try to justify it to submissive consumers.
>>
File: 1455381026035.jpg (46KB, 1024x744px) Image search: [Google]
1455381026035.jpg
46KB, 1024x744px
>>61209199
>evil corporations
>resources are infinite
>you are not responsible for your actions
I'm not going to try and reason with a eutopian marxis, but i will mention before i go. If apples were 20 dollars a month and you take 30 apples every day and put them in the freezer, while i eat 3 a day, you are an abuser. You should pay more, same reason why you pay more when you rape their servers with torrents. Its costs money, you are making them lose money, you are taking more than you pay.

>inb4 internet is free bandwidth isnt expensive servers doesnt costs money electricity is free
Hue
>>
>>61206848
Was it
>da joos
again?
>>
>>61206848
because capitalism
>>
>>61206848
african greys are awesome birbs
>>
>>61209243
The resources are just being artificially limited to squeeze more money out of people like you. There would actually be plenty to go around in the absence of market manipulation by monopolists. You should direct tor anger to where it belongs - the ISPs. If they're hurting for cash because of bandwidth hogs, how are they making tens of billions in profits?
>>
>>61209236
Yup, it's obvious from the fact they're limiting data use no matter the time of day, there is simply no defense to limit downloads and uploads after midnight. 70% of the network traffic you had during the day has died down and your network is essentially in a low load period until the next day when people start getting to work around 9-10am.

Limiting data use during ALL hour shows it's NOT a congestion issue and they just want money.
>>
>>61209289
Yeah, way worse than the communist chinese internet thats blocks everything, and basiclly nonexistant in cuba, north korea. Russia is now addopting chinas internet policies. Also communist venezuella cut the internet in 2014. But fuck crapitalism, the paradigm that created the internet, amirite?
>>
>>61209346
Capitalism works better than anything else. But only in the presence of competition. That's the thing that's missing from the internet-access market in America. Something like 3/4 of the nation has either one monopoly provider, or two providers. We wouldn't be having this discussion at all if most places had six or eight ISPs competing for business. And, ideally, if switching ISPs was quick and easy. They wouldn't be able to impose price hikes or data caps or other anti-consumer practices without losing customers.
>>
>>61209323
>direct your anger to ISPs
I don't buy into this class warfare shit because im not a poor loser, nor am i mad. I am a man, i dont accept a contract and then cry about in on chinese underwater basket weaving forums. Your mom likely pays the bill anyway. I am not going to entertain eutopian marxism because you can crack a history book yourself and learn why it has never worked.
>>
>>61209243
what a qt
>>
>>61209399
Yeah, it's an issues. There is no good way to solve it because the usa is so huge, if we were the size of france this wouldnt be an issue.
>>
The decent ISPs in the US are fiber optic and don't have data caps, but comcast and others should be taken out and shot for their monopoly bullshit.
>>
>>61206848
That's a long neck.
>>
>>61209405
>Monopoly provider gives you a contract
>"Here it is. It says we can do what we want and you have to deal with it. Take it or leave it, no negotiation"
>guy who can't spell "Utopian" thinks this is right and proper
>>
>>61209435
>LE U SPELLED WORK WRONG TOU HAVE NO ARGUEMENT
>>
File: Trico's parents.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Trico's parents.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>61209305
>>61209426
>>
>>61209405
>he doesn't think amerikkka is completely lobbied and controlled by big business to mill monopolies
heh
>>
File: 1468021521052.jpg (96KB, 960x768px) Image search: [Google]
1468021521052.jpg
96KB, 960x768px
>>61209474
>Amerikkka
I am detecting high levels of melanin
>>
>>61209346
I see quite some Venezuelan flags on /int/ and /pol/
>>
>>61209522
Russia is there too, but its government run internet in both countries non the less. Politican dissent is only tolerated to put up a facade when it is politcally convenient. Russia oldly enough appears to have the most rights of all the communist nations. I guess you can always expect some level of dignity from those with white skin
>>
>>61206848
How do you expect your ISPs to store all of your traffic for decryption in the future? Storage doesn't grow on trees, son.
>>
>>61209547
Russia isn't communist, neither is Venezuela
>>
>>61209513
>shitty spongebob meme
I'm detecting high levels of reddit
>>
>>61209609
>>61209625
Okay jamal
>>
>>61209289
I didn't know government regulation strangling out competition and handing out monopolies in the process was capitalism.
>>
use more water, pay for more water
use more internet, pay for more internet
it's that simple OP
>>
>>61206848
jews
>>
>>61210131
Not if it's unlimited you idiot.
>>
>>61210131
apparently we can run out of internet
>>
>>61210198
>>61210218
water's not unlimited
internet's not unlimited
>>
>>61206848
they know good goyim will go over the data cap and every time they do its a free 15 dollars they normally wouldnt get.
>>
>>61210131
I didn't realize the internet needed expensive processing before it could be delivered to me in drinkable form
>>
>>61209177
>subsidize
That's a pretty stupid argument to make. You and another person are paying for the same service. It's up to you if you want to use the service to its fullest the same way that he does. That doesn't mean you're "subsidizing" his use. You don't blame people with huge appetites for buffets being very expensive.
>>
The whole thing feels just so absurd to me. Here i pay ~22€/mo for unlimited 150/50. Just last week i blasted through a few terabytes no problem.
>>
>>61210286
And over there ISPs make it seem like theyre being charitable for basically crippling everyones connection.

Imagine you paid for a water pipe from the ocean to your shed, well now the contractor is putting a valve on it to further squeeze you out of your money.
>>
>>61209220
This is not the problem. The infrastructure to handle this is already paid for by the taxpayers money. Advertising otherwise is just plain lying. If youre being sold a 15" water pipe to transfer water to you, would you mind if someone suddenly installed a valve in it? Would you be upset to know that yoour pipe is being leased to others too behind your back? This is the situation, its not the users fault but the greedy corps.
>>
>>61206848
Because it was useful in the 90s then "no ISP concurrency" happened
>>
File: cable one.jpg (141KB, 807x1134px) Image search: [Google]
cable one.jpg
141KB, 807x1134px
I pay $80 for this crap.
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>61209144
Using the torrent protocol in and of itself is perfectly normal and has many more good uses than it does bad.

The problem is not on the users at all, depsite that of course being what the cable companies are trying to imply. The problem is simply on their revenue stream, they are making every excuse imaginable to extract the most profits now that their own other business is cannibalising the other.
>>
>>61209108
This is not about wether or not you are able to hit the everchanging arbitrary limit or not, its about why it exists in the first place. There is no technical reason to do it, just monetary.
>>
>>61210405
see
>>61210131
>>
>>61208811
This is not at all how things work. Data is not finite. Bandwidth consumption is purely within the allocated limit that you are paying for. Even if the ISP has massively oversubscribed you with your neighbours this isnt the way to control the quality at all and there are number of better set official ways of dealing with it.

This thing exists purely because of greed and making investors happy.
>>
>>61206848
because the jews didnn't give a shit about only nerds using large amounts of bandwith but then youtube and netflix happened and suddenly normalfgas are using large amounst as well.

long story short: NORMALFAGS RUIN SOMETHING ONCE AGAIN.
>>
>>61210425
The ocean was ment to imply a practically limitless supply. Data is not finite and you should not pay for it like that. The only thing that costs is establishing bandwidth.
>>
>>61209144
>seeding torrents every day at good speed

Bless those people
>>
File: Premiumbait.png (102KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
Premiumbait.png
102KB, 625x626px
>>61210425
>this
>>
>>61210451
You can never tell wether or not people are purposefully playing stupid or are legitimately this disinformed. The best action is to reply as if they were thr latter, so that even if they werent, someone else interested may see why it is or is not so.
>>
>>61207044
Isn't capitalism great?
>>
>>61209289
This isnt capitalism though, just handing over monopolies without regulation. Cash states also require a healthy amount of strong regulation that cares for the citizens for it to work. Companies should not have a say at all in government matters.
>>
>>61206848
I love greys!! I am inspired to buy one now because of your picture.
>>
>>61210501
No but it beats the Fuck out of the alternative.
>>
>>61210501
crony*
>>
>>61210505
Trump is on our side, he wants companies to stay out of lobbying
>>
>>61210226
>internet's not unlimited
Yeah, I've been slaving in the internet mines for the past 7 years now, and our yields are down 7% this year. By 2025, I don't think there is going to be enough internet left for everybody.
>>
>>61210584
>MUH NOT REAL CAPITALISM!!!!!!
>>
>>61210673
It is capitalism. I'm just specifying which form.
>>
>>61210673
You're sounding more like a whiny communist more and more you post because companies aren't giving away internet for free.
>>
File: ajit pai.png (212KB, 510x455px) Image search: [Google]
ajit pai.png
212KB, 510x455px
>>61206848
because ITS MAKING AMERICA GREAT AGAIN
>>
>>61210673
you realize hes saying its still capitalism right?

all we have to do is REMOVE THE JEWish element.
>>
>>61210800
So mixed economy, capitalism with various levels of regulation?
>>
>>61210826
dont really care, just remove the jew and 99% of problems go away.

you ever wonder why we have to raise the minimum wage every 8 years now? its because the jewish federal reserve just prints enough money to completely negate it.
>>
They're pretty goddamn awful. I live in Leafland and have a 50GB cap per month. There's only one provider in my area so they can take advantage of that. They frequently overestimate data usage. Last month a 1.5GB download translated into 7GB bandwidth use for no discernable reason.
>>
>>61206848
Because jews.
>>
>>61210826
shut the fuck you plebbit fag
>>
>>61206848
For the reasons listed here>>61207044
but also because these ISPs buy lobbyists.
They buy lobbyists, and bribe senators/congressmen to protect their profits.
Because they do so they tie up smaller service providers in court, and shut down municipal services by claiming it violates fair competition. Crazy right?
So they get to do whatever they want, and there is no real competition on the market aside from what the big companies provide, and it just so happens that all the big ISPs in America offer incredibly similar service plans in their major markets. Its almost like they've agreed to a price fixing scheme.

If we had a freer market such things wouldn't happen.

>>61210800
Also this.
>>
>>61210969
Hitler had the same idea kiddo
>>
>>61206848
because the holocaust didn't actually happen
>>
>>61210989
Hitler's Reich was so good that he constantly needed more land to support a massively prosperous society. Thus all the landgrabs that preceded WWII. We should take all the jews and move them to Madagascar.
>>
>>61206848
That's a very cool bird
>>
Why are you using so much data? Go outside - go to the gym - do something else. Jesus Christ.
>>
File: 1498523910714.png (1MB, 4832x5787px) Image search: [Google]
1498523910714.png
1MB, 4832x5787px
>>61208552
Are you a worthless network tech or what?

An hour of down time? For a net connection? Something EASILY PARALLELED?

Fucking euro spastic.
>>
>>61206848
Because they are allowed to by the republicans in the mantle of "freedom".
>>
to make more money pretty much.

there is some logic behind the bandwidth would be fucked if everyone decided to cap their line out all the time. this shouldn't be an issue regardless, as the ISP -should- have enough bandwidth to handle it. the more bandwidth intensive services (like Netflix) generally will go a different route via direct peering links to keep that traffic off the main ring, which would impact others. most major cloud companies (Google, Amazon, Netflix, etc.) have these types of agreements with ISPs.

but yeah... mostly just for money.
>>
>>61207165
so the internet really is a series of tubes
>>
ISPs should be forced to move to utility style pricing, so paying something like 0.10USD a month per 100kbps or something. It would also force quality control and prevent their IMMENSE oversell. Though I guess it wouldn't be efficient use.
>>
>>61206848
You have several computers sharing a medium that doesn't work when multiple computers communicate at the same time.
If everybody used it nonstop all the time, the service would be very slow.
Putting a limit solves two things.
The user will be conscious about how much they use and you get to charge the people who use the service more money than the ones who doesn't use it. (Or give a discount).
I think it is fine.
I have the cheapest plan which includes 5g/month and it is fine.
I connect to WiFi when I am home or at work and I don't use the phone much anywhere else.
Some times I am in a situation where I need to create a hotspot with my phone and then I can spend it in an hour, but I don't want to pay for more just in case.
I use 300M in a normal month
>>
also would it be possible to create an internet part 2? but like world wide wifi for free? do you need to be oprah rich to do that or like rockefeller rich?
>>
>>61211973
The issue there is that the internet is not water. Aside from the electricity required to run the hardware, the bandwidth is free. It is an infinite quantity. If an ISP sells you a connection at a certain speed they could deliver that speed 100% of the time, you could download 100s of TB per month, its no sweat off their back. They are in charge of hooking up and maintaining the pipe, its none of their concern what flows through it.

The only thing they complain about is that one site/service specifically is accounting for a majority of their traffic, and thats Netflix. They get butthurt about needing more ports open for Netflix traffic, so they want to bill the customer more. That isn't the customer's problem, thats the ISP's problem, and the ISP has no problem paying to upgrade any of their infrastructure. If government stopped protecting these giants then smaller fiber providers would be eating them alive.
>>
>>61210907
holy shit that sucks. Happen to be Bell? It sounds like Bell.

Doesn't your isp offer an unlimited package at similar speed for an extra 10 or 20 bucks?
>>
>>61209473
>no u fuckin wot m8 caption
>>
File: bestkorea.jpg (131KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
bestkorea.jpg
131KB, 500x282px
>work in the networking department for fairly large ISP
>be bored at one day
>log into program that tracks usage and customer modem status
>sort by top users
>first place is some guy for the month of May who download over 14TB worth of shit
>second place is someone at 11TB
>third place is around 5TB

This is why some ISPs cap usage.
>>
>>61206848
Because otherwise filthy neckbeard neets would torrent 24/7.
>>
>>61212342
Them using that much data doesn't cost the company anything. That isn't a justification for a cap.
If your backbone lacks the hardware to provide the full rated speed to all your customers concurrently then your company is engaging in unethical practices. If you can't provide 50Mbps to 1,000,000 people then don't sell them all 50Mbps connections.
Its that simple.
>>
>>61212390
It does when you have to upgrade an expensive as fuck core router or backhaul for a market to keep it's utilization at a reasonable level just because a few dozen people are downloading/seeding torrents 24/7.
>>
>>61212390
this
>>
>>61212422
Thats still not a justification. If your business model is to offer a product, then you are obliged to provide it, no matter what it takes. No ISP in America is struggling for money, all of them are raking in cash hand over fist. They can afford to pay for the hardware, and whatever additional manpower would be required to maintain it.

Imagine if any other type of business did that. Imagine a cafeteria boasting they could feet 1000 people per hour, but only if each of them got half their meal. Think McDonalds would stay in business very long if they gave you half a burger when you bought one of the dollar menu? What if you could only get a full burger past 10pm when usage was lower? Thats what ISPs are doing to customers.
The selling point of the service is not a set amount of data, you are selling the speed, because the data is not yours, and it costs you nothing to handle it.
>>
>>61206848
USA - company gets more customers, instead of investing some profits in bulidng high bandwith network they introduce data caps and milk customers

EU - would you like capples 100mbit fibre for 20-30$ ?

Its more result of US mono/duopoly in most areas while companies DONT want to compete vs competetive market in EU.
>>
Jews
>>
>>61212589
Also because of EU regulations, and the US being ultra-capitalist by nature.
>>
>>61212621
>ultra-capitalist by nature
It's not capitalism that's the problem though, it's actually the opposite, government interfering with capitalism by creating artificial monopolies through legislation, by way of lobbying and payoffs. It's corruption spurring improper/poor regulation, not over/under regulation, but incorrect regulation, because in some ways we often over regulate our industries, but with unnecessary things (political bike shedding, I guess), while leaving important issues free to ruin or abetting them.
>>
>>61212669
Remember that Comcast and Time Warner both tried to shut down Google Fiber by claiming it hurt their business. They got a court injunction to stop the deployment of service in an area. Not that I'm a proponent of Google, but it directly shows Government protecting these monopolies. That isn't capitalism, its just corruption.
>>
>>61210501
geographic monopolies granted by municipalities is not capitalism
>>
>>61210131
>install well
>free water
>???
>free internet
Internet is more expensive and difficult to obtain than water. Anyone who wants it for free is a NEET and i hope you die in poverty
>>
>>61212693
Google fiber shut itself down by being a dumb idea that cannot produce a profit.
>>
>>61212621
Regulations are nice but the things is often you get high share of small companies doing just one town.

While I`ve seen stories when some small company in USA wanted to do FTTH. They got blocked by state to secure dominance of big ISP.

My big ISP currently is rolling fiber in bigest towns (70+ so far) and they are pumping loads of resources in it. Prices are great
100 mbit ~17$
300 mbit ~27$
600 mbit ~40$

and for caps, yeah on LTE 150GB home zone + 60GB out of it (can be ussed by cell) for like 17$ with router you can keep after contract.
>>
>>61212621
Its completely geographic you moron. If we all lived in texas we could have fiber everywhere and it would be cheaper than laying wire through the entire continental US
>>
>>61206848
double-dipping jews
charge you for bandwidth and then using the bandwidth they're already charging you for

they do it because it's a convenient metric to charge you more money, Comcast admitted this publicly
>>
>>61212711
I when i lived with my parents they used a small isp (cox) it was fucking trash and comcast in a city is amazing compared to cocks. Most isps are shit and overcharge for what you get. If you actually get the bandwidth you pay for and it is stable you should be happy. Complaining about datacaps is oy vayy as fuck
>>
>>61212744
>Complaining about datacaps is oy vayy as fuck
wow it's been a while since I've read such an ironic statement
>>
>>61206848

Because Jews
>>
>>61212752
>Oy vayyy i am unhappy with the contract i volentarily signed
>Better petition the government to seize the means of production
>>
File: 1483960150817.gif (3MB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
1483960150817.gif
3MB, 160x160px
>>61212779
>calling people greedy for complaining about getting charged extra money for LITERALLY no reason
>>
>>61212807
>no reason
exceeding contractual limit that you argreed to
>charged
Throttle
>upset because an issue that you have never experienced nor understand
Check
>>
>>61212829
>exceeding contractual limit that you argreed to
A limit that exists for no reason other than to charge you more money.
>Throttle
In addition to being charged for "overages."
>upset because an issue that you have never experienced nor understand
I once had a small data plan on my phone, I have experienced this issue.

If you want to shill for huge telecoms, feel free to do so, but you must realize who the happy merchants are in this situation (hint: it's the merchants).
>>
>>61212865
>the for profit companies contract guidliness do not matter because they are for profit
>conflaiting mobile data with isp caps
Im going to bed, you are stupid
>>
>>61212900
>If you are jewing someone as part of a contract, for the purposes of inflating profit, it's not jewing someone
Go to bed.
>>
>>61212744
>>61212779
>>61212829
>>61212900
You're an imbecile. Keep saying the word "contract", it makes you seem smart.
>>
>>61212929
Maybe one day you will be old enough to sign your own isp contract. It takes a credit check and a down payment, like a lease. Oh, you probably dont know what a lease is either, just another big word LOL
>>
>>61212953
I know what "imbecile" means.
>>
>>61212970
Im sure you've heard that one before
>>
>>61206848
Because Hitler didn't finish the job.
>>
File: 345673496.jpg (51KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
345673496.jpg
51KB, 640x640px
>have to use Mobile Wifi internet since I live too far from the nearest fibre
>Use ISP #1
>UNLIMITED DATA [spoiler]within reason[/spoiler]
>UNLIMITED 4G SPEED [spoiler]up to 300mbit per sec (of which you will maybe get 1mbit)[/spoiler]
>100 GB data limit
>20 eur/month

>try out ISP #2
>UNLIMITED DATA [spoiler]it actually is unlimited[/spoiler]
>limited speed - I am at all times quaranteed 5mbit speed
>20 eur/month

>turns out that ISP #2 rents Mobile Wifi mast usage from ISP #1
>the service originates from from the exact same tower and the exact same provider
>difference is just in who is billing me
>one of them is objectively better

whew. sometimes capitalism is good.
>>
>>61213196
How did you figure out it was unlimited? 20 euro for 625KBps seems kinda bad though, where are you anon?
>>
>>61210447
I barely scrape under my limit every month but I want to give back so I seed 24/7. Sometimes I have to shut them off the last few days if I'm cutting it close.
>>
>>61213238
>How did you figure out it was unlimited?
By the EU law, they are legally required to disclose(on the cover of all their ad leaflets and stuff) whether it is genuinely unlimited or if it is "unlimited".

>20 euro for 625KBps seems kinda bad though, where are you anon?
I live in Estonia and within Estonia I live in a middle-of-nowhere village of population of 20 people. Closest mast is like 8km away - barely over the treeline from where I am looking.

This 5MBit sure beats the ~1Mbit I got previously. Now I can watch Streams in 360p without buffering.

My experience tells that 5MBit is more than enough for regular internet usage, unless you want to stream stuff.
>>
>>61212669
the government doesn't lobby itself, the government doesn't pay itself off, the monopolies formed from capitalism do all that shit

nice try (((cuck)))
>>
>>61212744
>comcast in a city is amazing
lol you poor cuck.

Comcast is garbage tier ISP.

Shitty DOCSIS so your upload speed is ass, and a 1TB monthly data cap.

Around here they offer 400mbps download and with fucking 20mbps upload for $69.99 .

Or the other ISP FiOS, has 940mbps download and 880mbps upload for $69.99 a month. And no monthly data cap.

And I actually get these speeds pretty much 24/7 no slow downs.
>>
No data cap
1Gbps

Feels good
>>
>>61216395
>Around here they offer 400mbps download and with fucking 20mbps upload for $69.99
If you divide bw by 10, you have basically have cmcast in my area
>>
>>61210131
>>61210226
>durr water analogy hahahaha
>i'll make it seem like water and internet are the same thing for my stupid analogy to work lmao!!!! DURRR
(You)
>>
>>61216498
Around here they have 25/5mbps, 50/10, 100/20, 400/20, and 2/2gbps.

The 2gbps requires $1000 cost for the fiber install and $150 a month for service.

The lower speeds have free installs.
>>
>>61216434
Same, anything else is AIDS
>>
>>61212744
>Complaining about datacaps is oy vayy as fuckfuck

>complaining about getting jewed makes you a jew
Thread posts: 156
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.