[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DEATH AND SORROW

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

File: maxresdefault.jpg (330KB, 3000x1688px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
330KB, 3000x1688px
Shit what the fuck?

I was just using my T420 when it just shut off and won't turn back on when powered either by battery or the power supply with the battery removed.
What the fuck happened?

I tried googling it and tried some things but no response.
I tried starting it with and without the battery and power adapter.
I tried to remove battery, hold power button for 30 sec, plug in power adapter, try to power on. Nothing. And I noticed when I have the power plugged in, the indicator led on the back of the lid doesn't light up.

My old faithful is like a dead brick. HELP ME /G/. I bought this thing from eBay in I think 2014, but haven't used it very much for the past year because I bought an x220 I've been dailying.
>>
Have you tried turning it off and on again?
>>
>>61195617
Hey fuck off it is off I CANT TURN IT ON
>>
>>61195608
Install gentoo
>>
>>61195608
It happened to my W500 once, turns out the charger port broke and the battery died.

Cheap fix if that's the case.
>>
>>61195608
Remove the battery and charger. Then hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Then constantly keep pressing it for another 30.

No idea if this will fix your problem but according to what I heard, this can be caused be static buildup.
>>
>>61195608
wear your programming socks and rub the trackpoint with your feet
>>
>>61195707
The battery was charging with more then 40 percent before it happened. If that was the problem it should still start with just the battery right? Mine doesn't though.
>>61195734
I did what you said but nothing happened. I also tried switching out the old battery for another much newer one but still nothing.

It's dieing guys what do I do...
FUCK.
>>
replace the cmos
>>
>>61195812
Buy T60
>>
>>61195608
Could be a bad adapter
>>
>>61195917
Power adapter? No it's good. I'm using it with my x220 right now.

I did hear a kind of pop sound coming I think from the vent area right when everything went black. Maybe it had an aneurism.

Fuck man.
>>
>>61195973
Maybe a shot capacitor?
>>
>>61196014
How would I go about finding things like that out? Take it apart and look for burnt parts or broken solder?
I've never dealt with this before.
>>
>>61196067
Pretty much, if the top is bulged or there is some yellow shit on top then it's bad. Just a guess because you said you heard a pop noise.
>>
>>61195608
Have you tried another power outlet?
>>
>>61195608

that's what you get for buying worthless, ancient hardware.
>>
>>61196179
A different wall outlet? Same outlet and same adapter is working right now with other laptop.

Currently taking t420 apart to see if I can find something obvious and bad.
>>
>>61196235
>2011
>ancient
Pick one
>>
>>61196243
Any updates?
>>
>>61196464
Mostly taken apart, but I'm stuck trying to get the metal frame thing off. The bottom cover is still stuck and I can't get it off. Also getting really tired. Might continue this tomorrow morning.

Can't post a pic since max size is 4MB. I'm going to bed. If I can't figure this shit out I'm probably just going to begin my searches for a new computer. Damn I thought this thing would last me through all university.
>>
>>61196644
get another t420 or a t430 and swap the keyboards

then sell the processor for a couple of bucks
>>
That's what you get for using antique laptops you fucking autist.
>>
>>61195608
just change the motherboard, search t420 pdf manual or whatever
>>
>>61195608
>He fell for the Thinkpad meme
>>
>ThinkPad user
>can't do basic diagnostics

The average /g/ poser.
>>
>>61195608
I have a similar problem.
> Series 5 Samsung core i7 laptop, circa 2013.
> Replaced hard drive in 2015.
> Came home to find puddle of water beneath it
> Cat not talking
I know it's the hard drive, maybe the motherboard.
Is it worth an almost complete rebuild to save the processor?
Or should I just go back to an i3?
What's cheaper?
>>
>>61195895

not OP but the same shit happened to my T60 a month ago. it died during a windows 7 update
>>
any update op
>>
Oh shit a computer failed oh god oh god

Oh wait it's fucking nothing and happens every day. Just replace and restore from backup if you made one otherwise you're fucked.
>>
>>61195608
>he fell for the thinkbrick meme

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
>>
>not having spare chinkpads
come on lad. i got 3, with the desire to buy some later models now. could go for a new model from another manufacturer but not the same thing.
>>
Just buy another one and swap the hard drives m9, everyone does that
>>
>>61195608
Maybe you blew a capacitor?

Even solid state electronic components fail.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Failure_of_electronic_components

I read some IEE paper about how solid state electronics can slowly electroplate the cathode until the tiny filaments close the gap and the transistor stops being a transistor. I can't remember the specific terms, but it was a really rad paper.

This kind of issue is why I am shopping for a few spares even though my laptop is working alright.
>>
>>61195608
this is why I bought a MacBook
>>
>>61195608
There's an internal power supply. Try disconnecting it for a few minutes and then plug it back in and see it it will start up.
>>
>>61200514
So your laptop can die even more prematurely from overheating due to a severe lack of cooling systems? NICE!!
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.