[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Matrix Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: matrix on the moon.png (906KB, 640x800px) Image search: [Google]
matrix on the moon.png
906KB, 640x800px
>What is Matrix?

Matrix is a free, open source, and decentralized chat platform.

>Why should I use it?

Matrix has all the modern features of Discord while also making encryption available for user privacy and allowing for users to host their own instances. It's fast, free, and easy to use!

>Where should I start?

We've got a public /g/ room at https://matrix.to/#/#general:banter.city for anyone looking to get started or ask questions.

Looking to deploy your own? Check out the Synapse Github repository at:

https://github.com/matrix-org/synapse

Want to share your room or make new friends?

Use https://matrix.to to generate a link and post it in this thread!
>>
what advantages does it have over discord?
>>
can i use it to get gf
>>
i tried setting up my own matrix server
setting up my own xmpp server was easier by several orders of magnitude
there is literally no reason to use matrix as xmpp is more mature and actually works.
>>
Tox part deux here we go
>>
>>61193718
Like I mentioned earlier, chats and rooms can be encrypted to provide strong privacy.

Matrix offers video calling and conferencing on top of its audio calling functionality, and 1-on-1 calls can be conducted peer-to-peer.

>>61193750
Yeah.

>>61193777
It's actually fairly easy to set up, there's even apt packages from their debian/ubuntu repository that ship out with sane defaults.

That being said, while I like XMPP there is disparity when it comes to client design, functionality, and usability that provides glaring problems. Pidgin and Gajim, while very powerful and extensible clients, have a long way to go when it comes to user friendliness.

Riot, by contrast, works right out of the box, and can be accessed as a web gateway or installed as a web client depending on.

>>61193789
Tox is alright but the direct way it handles chats and groupchats leaves much to be desired. Whereas Tox fills the niche Skype did fairly well, Matrix seems to do the same for IRC or Discord.
>>
When it comes to encryption, what is used ?
>>
>>61193870
>It's actually fairly easy to set up, there's even apt packages from their debian/ubuntu repository that ship out with sane defaults.
yes i saw that and I thought it would be easy, sadly it was just a web2.0 shitpile as I expected it would be.
>>
>>61193896
Matrix uses the Olm and Megaolm cryptographic ratchets; these are implemented by the Matrix team and are closely related to the Signal and OMEMO protocols.

https://matrix.org/git/olm/about/docs/olm.rst
https://matrix.org/git/olm/about/docs/megolm.rst

>>61193898
I don't really see the problem, or even understand what you're trying to convey here.

Were you trying to install a client or a server?

What exactly makes Matrix a "Web 2.0 shitpile"? Assuming you disliked Riot, there were other clients available like Tensor or Quaternion.
>>
>>61194028
I was trying to set up my own server, i mean that's the point right?
you're promoting this garbage and never read the protocol spec? pathetic. rtfm then get back to my on why it's not a web2.0 shitpile
>>
File: the fox and the grapes.jpg (184KB, 688x1434px) Image search: [Google]
the fox and the grapes.jpg
184KB, 688x1434px
>>61194061
Are you referencing the REST API?

"Web 2.0" tends to describe very heavy clientside with a reliance on heavy JavaScript libraries and projects with backend written in languages like Ruby or JavaScript + npm, at least to my knowledge.

But none of that is really present because "Matrix" only describes the protocol and API, not the client implementations. At best, you might be angry about JSON for endpoints instead of XML, but JSON is a well-established standard, and Python 2.7 doesn't exactly scream "hipster".

Granted, the Synapse server can behave oddly at times, but it's a decent reference implementation for now and Dendrite looks solid as a future implementation.

From what I've observed so far you seem to be angry that you couldn't understand how to configure it.
>>
>>61194247
their protocol spec isn't even done yet and they throw it into production
it's all JSON over REST aka litterally fucking nothing to get excited about and their implementation is in python 2.7 using fucking twisted.
it's basically a total joke, if you can't get people to set up their own servers because no one could "understand" how to configure it you're going to be doomed to be eclipsed by the next big fad that reinvents the wheel again, except next time they'll have feature X that makes it "better". The cycle of shit continues.
the whole thing reeks of amatuer web hipsters is all I'm sayin.
>>
>>61194327
plus they should do the matrix effect when the softwarr is decoding smt.
>>
File: C Y B E R L I F E.png (2MB, 1208x907px) Image search: [Google]
C Y B E R L I F E.png
2MB, 1208x907px
>>61194327
>>61194327
I mean, it accomplishes the goal of being an extensible and federated instant messenger. The underlying protocol is meant to be simple and easy to understand; being "JSON over REST" makes it easy to develop clients.

Maybe you can't understand how to set up Matrix, but I'm fairly certain other people have successfully managed to do so. I know I have, and if you want to ask for help I'm willing to help you work through any issues you might have encountered.

Take it easy, anon. There's nothing to get worked up about in this thread.
>>
>>61194492
again, there's literally no reason to use matrix as xmpp does a much better job.
those who get asspained about UI and presentation tend to be webhipsters that make shit protocols that don't work, software that is shit and employs brainless followers like yourself to spread their sickness.
just letting you know that the good you think you are doing is a false hope that is planting the seeds to destroy the web.
>>
>>61194555
A lot of what XMPP can do through XEPs and extensions is possible through Matrix by default. XMPP is really developed, but a lot of what has become essential to a "modern" XMPP experience is dependent on whether your server software and client supports it, or whether your provider has enabled it.

I have the choice between explaining how to use Gajim or Pidgin and install all the relevant plugins before explaining how to connect to a server, or I can give a person one link to a web gateway that's accessible with one click, without sacrificing any functionality.

XMPP was a protocol of a different time and place, and has struggled to adapt to changing usability expectations or support modern features. Hopefully MIX will at least make groupchat better than it is using MUC, but having dealt with both I prefer Matrix.
>>
>>61194555
XMPP is outdated. Can't continue a conversation started on desktop on mobile, for example. I know there an extension for it, but literally not servers support it and only one client does. Unless there's an XMPP2 that includes many of the basic extensions in the core protocol, matrix is the way to go.
>>
>>61194634
>I can give a person one link to a web gateway that's accessible with one click, without sacrificing any functionality.

the seed of destruction right there, you put too much faith in the w3c browser
>>61194687
outdated is always better than a half baked web 2.0 shitpile, just imagine doing SMTP/IMAP over some JSON REST bullshit, oh then some idiot will think of doing TLS over REST, just letting you know of the future you chose.
>>
>>61194727
>you put too much faith in the w3c browser
No I don't, Matrix is just as easily accessed through a client.

Hell, there's support for it as a Pidgin plugin if you don't want to install anything new.

https://github.com/matrix-org/purple-matrix

I'm responsible for my own decisions, but I don't really see the issue with trying Matrix. If XMPP improves, I can always return to it at a later date.

So long as the software is free software as defined by the FSF, I do not see a problem with it.
>>
>>61193542
>static site with animations and floaty shit and text that you have to wait to fucking read

Nah, you're just as big of art-major casual shitters as Discord is.
>>
>>61194940
You mean https://matrix.to?

That just happens because the redirects are all calculated client-side.
>>
>>61193870
ok but how

is there a matrix gf bridge or
>>
>>61196537
Join #matrix:matrix.org and initiate your mating call.
>>
>>61193777
Don't know what you did but I've tried several xmpp servers and synapse is much simpler to set up.
>>
>>61194028
Quaternion still hasn't implemented E2E and is still very bare compared to other native IM clients.
>>
File: Riot_2017-07-03_11-49-36.png (8KB, 863x214px) Image search: [Google]
Riot_2017-07-03_11-49-36.png
8KB, 863x214px
how do I join if I'm using riot desktop?
>>
the moon landings didn't happen
>>
So is there are command line client other than the WeeChat script? I'll probably use that, but I'm kinda sad that you have to go through so much to get E2E encryption setup.
>>
>>61198539
Yeah Riot just seems to have a populated team for development the other clients haven't managed. Web projects, for better or worse, tend to get developed faster.

You can always contribute to your favorite client though.

>>61199589
The Join button is right there anon. Just click it or hit enter.

You can also do /join #general:banter.city like in the old days.

>>61199614
>>>/pol/
>>>/x/
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.