[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When will ARM enter the desktop processor market?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 11

File: ARM_Logo_Corporate_Blue.png (16KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
ARM_Logo_Corporate_Blue.png
16KB, 200x150px
When will ARM enter the desktop processor market?
>>
>>61190751
Windows 10 on ARM Soon(tm).
>>
>>61190751
When it becomes as poweful as a core 2 duo or core 2 quad.
>>
>>61190751
Never. Do you expect people to start buying ARM cpus for their desktops and realize 99.9% of their software doesn't work?
>>
Related question.

When someone runs linux on android, is it able to run all applications like gimp, pidgin etc or it is only for showing how big your e-penis is?
>>
>>61190751
It already did? Everyone I know uses GNU/Rasperry Pi 3 as their main machine
>>
>>61190806
x86 isn't going to last forever anon.
They aint making it anytime this decade but they are getting pretty good market penetration in the datacenter and the software eco-system gets stronger by the day with Mobile technologies leading the way.
>>
>>61190836
>is it able to run all applications like gimp, pidgin etc
Obviously. But android linux chroots usually don't have any hardware graphics acceleration, so it's still slow
>>
>>61190751
server market is where ARM may well dominate
>>
>>61190931
Hows life in Shenzhen?
>>
>>61191115
>implying

Yeah no, EPYC delayed that a bit.
>>
Desktop? meh never. Maybe they will move up to mobile seeing as they are already in tablets and phones, its not a big stretch to laptop
>>
File: Acorn_A4000_Running_s1.jpg (26KB, 350x327px) Image search: [Google]
Acorn_A4000_Running_s1.jpg
26KB, 350x327px
>>61190751
around 87'
>>
>>61190751
ARM can't scale up anymore than x86 can scale down to meet it.

There's no reason for them to ever enter the desktop market.
>>
Idk but my ARM will enter your MOM's pussy tomorrow. XD
>>
Once Microsoft releases ARM builds of office. Then cheaper business workstations can be made with ARM versions of Windows with the applications that businesses rely on.

Sure LibreOffice and a lot of business software on Linux is open source and can easily be compiled for ARM. But we all know LibreOffice is shit and no non-tech businesses give normal employees Linux machines. At least in burgerland
>>
Not until someone other than Apple builds a respectable ARM core.

Or maybe Apple will put it in their laptops and later their desktops.
>>
>>61191512
>implying the desktop market will consist of more than a web browser + some basic office programs that could be emulated in a few years
>>
>>61191559
Desktop is dying from that scene and is replaced by phones and tablets.

Desktop is enthusiast and office tool as of right now.
>>
File: Yotsugi_Ononoki.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Yotsugi_Ononoki.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>61191534
>ARM "core"
>Apple
>>
>>61190806
That's why Microsoft wants to emulate X86. And because Intel trembles in the thought that x86 will be replaced with ARM, they threatened MS with suing if they do that.
>>
File: ccd519814bc44cda9d9bd51d097b9b92.jpg (450KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
ccd519814bc44cda9d9bd51d097b9b92.jpg
450KB, 1536x2048px
Wait for RISC-V arm is doa on desktops and laptops
>>
File: tmp_8214-1493170714674712552069.gif (247KB, 480x430px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_8214-1493170714674712552069.gif
247KB, 480x430px
NEVAR
RISC V is next
>>
File: smug elf.png (301KB, 468x494px) Image search: [Google]
smug elf.png
301KB, 468x494px
>>61191924
>>61191990
RISC-MEME is a meme.
>>
File: 56550016.png (79KB, 370x320px) Image search: [Google]
56550016.png
79KB, 370x320px
>>61191612
>>61191990
>>61191995
fucking animu posters
>>
File: 1470347724052.jpg (181KB, 419x610px) Image search: [Google]
1470347724052.jpg
181KB, 419x610px
>>61191924
>>
>>61190836
Yes but the google jew wants to shill shitty apps converted to desktop formfactor instead of using an entire existing linux ecosystem because they can't get their shitty revenue that way.
>>
>>61191115
Xeon D killed the first ARM attempts. AMD will kill the second and with it the last attempt.
>>
>>61190751
Hopefully never.
ARM ecosystem is proprietary cancer with no standards whatsoever.
Also x86/AMD64 is a very good architecture.
>>
>>61192095
>AMD will kill the second and with it the last attempt.
AMD is making their own ARM CPU for the server market, dumbass
>>
>>61190806
Apparently traditional software is less of a problem than older hardware drivers.

>While Windows 10 on ARM can emulate traditional desktop applications, it won’t be able to install hardware drivers written for traditional x86 or x64 Windows operating systems. It will need ARM versions of those hardware drivers to support different hardware devices.

https://www.howtogeek.com/309119/what-is-windows-10-on-arm-and-how-is-it-different-from-windows-rt/

Kind of a short term problem though.
>>
>>61190836
Usually. The advantage Linux has is because everything is open source and uses a common set of libraries, running most software on a different architecture is just a recompile.
>>
>>61192853
>Kind of a short term problem though.
Unless you want to install older hardware such as printers
>>
>>61191085
>>x86 isn't going to last forever anon.
It's lasted since the late 70s, and survived several attempts (including more than one by Intel themselves) to kill it off. Why can't it last forever?
>>
>>61193233
>(including more than one by Intel themselves)
Fucking this. People seem to forget.

x86 will last forever
>>
>>61193233
They are going to have to significantly change the way their licensing works if they are to compete with ARM.

They've strong-held the market for this long because the sunk cost and barrier to entry is so high and they've created restrictive patents and technologies to deter startups.
Now that some of the biggest foundries in the world can can make you an custom ARM chip that performs well x86 is becoming more irrelevant by the day

It's not going to happen over night, i say 10-20 years and the tides may well turn against the current x86 model.
>>
>>61190806
>Never. Do you expect people to start buying Intel Macs for their desktops and realize 99.9% of their software doesn't work?

go be a dumb cunt elsewhere
>>
>>61193499
>Now that some of the biggest foundries in the world can can make you an custom ARM chip that performs well x86 is becoming more irrelevant by the day
But ARM still doesn't perform well relative to x86 and most presumably never will. As soon as you get into double digit TDP territory, the performance increase drops off a cliff with current ARM designs. This is also ignoring the chip specific quirks of each and every ARM chip basically necessitating a whole lot more software trickery than with x86.

Even if that falls into place, we're still looking at BIOS/UEFI issues as there really doesn't seem to be much in the way of cooperation there. We also haven't touched on peripherals, which are still an issue if ARM is to move into the laptop market never mind the desktop and workstation markets.

Yeah, all this is possible, it's just not feasible. It would require an incredible effort across the entire industry, which just won't happen.
>>
>>61193499
What even is wrong with x86 that it needs to die?
>>
>>61193599
Ignoring the diminutive third party software library available for Apple computers at the time, I'd also like to point out
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_(software)
I'm not even that guy but you're not in a position to insult the intelligence of anyone else.
>>
>>61193680
Mainly that it offends nerds' sense of elegance. It's a sprawling, messy instruction set that's been extended many times and features a lot of legacy cruft. And Intel is well-known for sharp-elbowed business practices, so a lot of people are rooting against them.
>>
File: ipad-geekbench.png (19KB, 598x556px) Image search: [Google]
ipad-geekbench.png
19KB, 598x556px
>>61193683
Are you for real?

Are you telling me, that small, pre-iPhone Apple of 2006 was able to make the transition by offering a half assed emulation layer that run in *userland* and outright didn't support most pro appications like Photoshop, Final Cut, etc., while stronghanding 3rd parties to develop native software, but for some reason huge Apple of today can't?

When the transition happens, nobody will bat an eye, just like when Rosetta was dropped in Snow Leopard.

The new greatest and latest will be developed natively for ARM, big software vendors will rush to capture the marketsare by writing (more like optimising a bit + recompiling) for ARM, and an emulation layer will be offered for compatibility and peripherals.

ARM's potential is not even in the same league as x86. After barely 10 years of serious developent, it caughtup with i3s and i5s of yesteryear. All this in a passively cooled, thermally restrticted design, that of an iPad.

x86 overstayed its welcome and this happened bacause of Intel monopoly. That's all there is to it.
>>
>>61190931
You don't know many people then
>>
>>61194275
Apple could just up and switch architectures like that because they're a consumer company. Microsoft and the PC world can't, because consumers are a sideline these days, it's business where they make their money. Businesses do not like upgrading software. And they aren't at all swayed by any arguments of a cleaner instruction set. They'll ask "Why should I change? What would all the risk and disruption get me?" The answer is not much - ARM is power-efficient because it's slower. It's advantages go away when you try to push it up to speeds comparable to desktop x86. The folks in the datacenter also have a bunch of x86 software that they don't want to change and can't just recompile. And a whole new architecture means one thing to them: Complexity. These servers aren't like those servers, they're totally different and run different software. For business to swallow a switch to ARM it's not good enough for ARM to be as good as x86. It has to be better. It has to be A LOT better, because changing has big costs. Right now ARM is better in one niche (low power - that is, mobile devices and IoT crap) It's not better in any of the places desktops and servers play in.

The Year of the ARM Desktop will have arrived when I can go to any online parts dealer and buy an ARM motherboard in a standard form factor from any of several manufacturers. Into which I can plug ordinary off-the-shelf peripherals and expect them to Just Werk with no emulation layer, and onto which I can install any OS stock, no special versions, no workarounds, no hackery specific to this board or that board.

That day not only is not here, it's not even on the horizon.
>>
>>61191990
>>61191924
>RISC V
>not OpenPOWER
yall niggas are delusional
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.