[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

light powerful software

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

File: texmakertop_big.png (261KB, 1412x789px) Image search: [Google]
texmakertop_big.png
261KB, 1412x789px
In which we share some incredibly powerful programs that can run on basically any system and take very little space such as:
Vim
Emacs
TeXmaker(or anything LaTeX based)
>>
I take back what I said about Texmaker, but there are editors that are a lot of smaller
>>
>>61189330
I like TeXmaker. It sure is smaller than sharelatex.
>>
>>61189330
I came across a neat small terminal based task management program, from fedoramagazine.
https://fedoramagazine.org/getting-started-taskwarrior/
It has some cool features, but I'll admit I lost interest after a while. Might have another look now that I think about it though!
>>
>>61189330
The ultimate redpoll is that nothing is more lightweight than terminal emulator + text editor. With these two you can basically eliminate the need for GUIs altogether, which of course improves performance a lot.
I'm happily using:
nmap for network scanning
vim for anything text related
urxvt as a terminal emulator
newsbeuter for RSS feeds
irssi for IRC chat
links for occasional CLI web browsing (though it's not the same as using a "real" browser)
rsync for backups
bash for file operations
openssh for server management
scrot for screenshots
youtube-dl to download videos, and
mpv to play them

and I'm hardly a special snowflake with these programs. Most of them I would consider essential on Linux
>>
>>61190047
I like you.
>>
>>61190047
So does urxvt finally have working unicode fonts?
>>
>>61190047
And ultimately if you're trying to lay off the intense GUIs, majority of those have GUI layers (typically made by fans) until you get comfortable enough to drop them entirely.
>>
>>61190047
Severe autism. GUIs aren't always the best interface, but sometimes they are. To ignore them entirely is autistic.
>>61189660
>>61189379
>>61189330
TeXStudio is better.
>>
>urxvt doesn't support copy/paste
dropped
>>
>>61191145
shift + print screen
shift + insert
>>
>>61191450
ape tier keybinds
>>
>>61189330
>Anything remotely related to latex
>take very little space
Holy fucking shit have you even looked at the size of the standard texlive distribution?
>>
visuel studio
>>
>>61191537
redpill me on texlive vs miktex
>>
>>61191548
Miktex seems focused on windows and osx. I don't use these OS so I can't comment.
>>
>>61191569
i see, thanks
>>
>>61190831
are you retarded?
>>
File: boab.png (22KB, 719x284px) Image search: [Google]
boab.png
22KB, 719x284px
>>61189330
>emacs
>light
>>
>>61191607
well it is light if you take into consideration that it's basically an operating system.
just like chrome isn't that light of a browser, but it's very light as an OS(see chromeOS)
>>
>>61190047
This + mutt and MOC
>>
Microsoft Access
>>
>>61191602
Show me urxvt with fontawesome or the patched powerline fonts, non-retarded fellow. Or any font that uses multi-wide characters.
>>
>>61192216
>patched powerline fonts
Not him, but I honestly think this is a stupid argument. Those pseudo-emojis are nothing great.
>>
>>61192254
Unless you use powerline and want to have all its feauters working. Oh, what a stupid argument to require a software to work, excuse my ignorance. It doesnt work with any font that has multi-wide characters. It can't deal with unicode fonts, yet it claims it full support of it.
>>
>>61192020
>MOC
shit doesn't support pulseaudio, you can't control source and output volume levels separately.
>>
>>61190047
pretty much spot on.

there's also mutt for mail
>>
>>61191476
ctrl + alt + c
ctrl + alt + v
>>
>>61192724
great now i have to hit alt with an unnatural finger to copy or paste
this is why no one takes "minimal" software seriously
>>
>>61192808
>not mapping caps lock to ctrl
>>
>>61192878
thats retarded.
capslock should be mapped to escape
>>
>>61191476
Literally the standard supported by every operating system since OS/2
>>
ffmpeg
>>
>>61189330
Emacs is pretty fucking big, especially when you consider the fact that it comes with a shitload of dumb stuff that really just belongs in ELPA.

Is there a way to build it without all that?
>>
>>61193326
There are forks of Emacs.
Torvalds uses MicroEmacs.
>>
>>61193342
Yeah, but I still want to have the potential to extend it. MicroEmacs is pure C (and I prefer for mg for light emacs anyway).
>>
>>61193361
No clue buddy, ditches emacs precisely because of that reason.

But If you haven't already I recommend running in daemon mode and just opening emacsclient, it's definitely a nice feature and makes everything pretty fast.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.