[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk VPNs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 3

File: 530174-nordvpn-logo.png (8KB, 333x245px) Image search: [Google]
530174-nordvpn-logo.png
8KB, 333x245px
I'm looking to get a VPN for an extra layer of security when I torrent. I heard NordVPN is pretty good and they have a deal going where it's $80/2 years. I was also looking at PIA and they seemed good too. Best VPNs thread.
>>
I use TorGuard, pretty good VPN. 5 simultaneous connections + proxies.
>>
i use garnier fructis.
>>
ovpn and mullvad are neat
used ovpn before the price hike, mullvad is fast and i think owned or created by someone from tpb creators
>>
>>61188277
I hear nord is slow though
>>
>>61188472
Really? I thought it was suppsed to be one of the fastest according to a few different sites. Idk though since I've never used it myself
>>
>>61188472
I had no problems maxing my 100Mb connection on most servers when I was using it (until a couple of months ago).

Avoid Windscribe. It's utter shit.
>>
>>61188472
never had a problem with speed. if a server gets slow I usually just switch to another one and have max speed again
>>
cancelled my HMA for the $80 deal on Nord VPN, the only thing I dont like is that there arent as many server locations on nord so i cant post from africa or vatican on /int/ anymore and get free yous
>>
>>61188277
Why should I share my VPN provider with you and let it go to shit like the other bigname VPN companies?

Bigger userbase VPN = more traffic = more scrutiny. You're better off finding small name VPNs on Google. The good VPNs don't even need advertising, because they have loyal customers to back em up and recruit new customers through word of mouth. Posting the provider on a cancerous place like 4chan is just gonna get the feds on it.
>>
>>61188589
>HMA
People still using it after all that privacy bs?

>>61188277
It's ok but last year the keys were leaked, I guess they took care of it. Also, reminder not to trust most review sites as they're sold to the best offers
>>
>>61188581
And you can torrent with nord?

Been using my own VPS at my house for using internet when on campus wifi because it does the job of just being able to go on 4chan; but for torrenting you dont want your house IP involved...

No private trackers allow vpns right?
>>
>>61188821
>No private trackers allow vpns right?
most do if you talk to admins, although you probably need a unique ip still, which you dont get from regular vpn services, hence vps
>>
>>61188878
Right so they'd allow vps, yeah I guess if you use a vps theres a chance of a conflict with another person using the same vps
>>
File: Screenshot_20170702-200212_01.png (113KB, 1080x1087px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170702-200212_01.png
113KB, 1080x1087px
>>61188878
NordVPN offers a static IP.
Not sure but I think you have to pay extra for it.
>>
>>61188927
yes but a vps host can assign a unique ip to your vm
if you share your vps with someone else its your own fault
>>61188960
its static not unique though
>>
>>61188821
>And you can torrent with nord?
yes
>>
I use Cyberghost. It's alright. Application is wonky and prone to not start at times.
>>
>>61188974
It says they become the only person, so its unique unless everytime you log off it changes but that defies the meaning of dedicated
>>
What, exactly, is the POINT of a vpn?

Why isn't it good enough to rent a cheap VPS and "ssh -D"?
>>
Still using PIA. It slows down sometimes.
>>
>>61188277
Same here. PIA is being shilled very often but idk about it because it's US based and i read it's slow.
Personally i consider NordVPN and ExpressVPN but no idea if they are good. I'm from Germany btw, anyone here who has experience with this?
>>
going to china, what vpn should I take?
I heard that all well known vpn are shit and there's only underground stuff that work. But when it work, nobody talk about it, so chinese cyberpolice don't get it.
>>
>>61189916
But PIA has been proven via FBI case to be legit
>>
>>61189988
Legit in what way? Good or bad?
>>
>>61190061
Good, couldn't give info about one of their customer because
>We have no logs
>>
>>61190114
ah cool
>>
>>61188354
>mullvad is fast and i think owned or created by someone from tpb creators
Indeed, Mullvad is one of the few VPN's I would really trust. Have used Nord in the past, and no complaints, they have a shit ton of servers to pick from which is nice. No Linux client though, unlike Mullvad.
>>
so mullvad or pia
>>
>>61190372
you dont have to use the client with mullvad either since its basically a retard-proof openvpn client, you can connect via openvpn using the config file that can be downloaded for e.g. android
>>
>>61190636
I know, but when you have 300 different servers to add, like you do with NordVPN, it's nice to get them all wrapped up neatly in a client.
>>
>>61190624
Then Mullvad, thats not even a choice really, PIA is US based lol.
>>
>>61190688
>PIA is US based lol.

oh shit i didn't know that, was just going off this thread and anon mentioned they told the fbi to fuq off, figured they weren't american
>>
>>61190701
They hide behind 'strong consumer protection laws', but we all know, in the US the govt has godmode on, I could never trust any US based company to keep my data private.
>>
>>61189916
>>61189988
>>61190688
I've been using PIA for the last few years and it works great. The android app is nice if you're on public wifi somewhere. I've never been bothered by my ISP for downloads or anything and it's always fast so I would recommend it.
>>
>>61190798
Thanks NSA
>>
>>61190701
Same anon here.
Yeah, fact that they're in US made me doubt them. But you can find articles about that FBI case.
Torrentfreak had one about it.
So... I don't, not many VPNs has proven like this.

I might be wrong, though, what if this "FBI case" was a CIA or NSA set up..?
Also, NSA or CIA might have more power than FBI
>>
I have been torrenting with PIA for over 6 months and have had no issues with anything. Always great performance, I will shill for them all day long.
>>
>>61188277
You are retarded. If you want to torrent get a seedbox. Preconfigured seedbox can be had for as low as 5$ a month.
>>
>>61190998
Speaking of which, Speedbox.io and Whatbox.ca offer nice seedboxes for less than 15€/month, are they any good for people from EU?
If i get a seedbox, should i get a VPN, too, or will that just be placebo to soothe my paranoia?
>>
>>61191185
If you are from eu get a seedbox from eu. I am from eu and used feralhosting before (uk based) and was getting top speeds.
You dont need a vpn if you dont want private browsing. You can just download files from seedbox over encrypted ftp/http, vpn is not needed for that.
>>
>>61191435
I read feralhosting customer support is utter shit, do you know if that is true? I plan to share the box with a friend for essentially 24/7 music dl and neither of us want to deal with it after it's set. We're both busy college students.
>encrypted ftp/http
Will standard SFTP and HTTPS be enough or do i need some special encryption?
>>
>>61191652
Feral was pretty awesome when I used it, but the front end of their website was shutdown. You had to prove your account was yours and I was to retarded to save my info. Not their fault.
>>
Nord is good. Been on it for 2-3 years and no complaints.
>>
>>61192231
Yeah that's not ferals fault. Probably some retarded normalfags who got upset. What's their setup bittorent web client or can i do whatever i want? They don't state anything specific but say i get "full control", whatever that means by their standards.
>>
>>61188277
A 1 year windscribe license is provided in the current humblebundle for $12. I don't know if it is good but it is very cheap
>>
VyprVPN claims they can bypass vpn blocks with their weird shitty openvpn config
How do I achieve the same effect on my VPS?
>>
Anyone try proton vpn yet? Thoughts?
>>
>>61189809
VPN providers generally give you a choice of several servers in lots of different geographical areas, as opposed to one VPS in one place.

And you get OpenVPN set up and ready to go. download a config file, punch in your password, boom, all your traffic is tunneled. Whether or not it obeys the proxy settings you need for an SSH tunnel. Makes it harder for you to accidentally leak traffic. (FF and I believe Chrome both don't send DNS requests through a proxy by default)
>>
>>61189916
I usually get around 6-7MB/s with PIA, but sometimes slower. My maximum without VPN is 11MB/s.
>>
>>61191652
Look up ultraseedbox, they have good customisation options(as opposed just buying a vps yourself and configuring everything yourself), its just the sharing part I am not sure about, I dont think they allow that
>>
>>61190754
It's always amusing to me when people think they're safer from the government using services outside of the U.S. There are no legal restrictions on NSA spying on foreign communications. And the U.S. has MLATs with almost every country where the big VPN services are located, and means to get information from the others in almost every case.
>>
>>61188277
rent a vps for 5$/month and host your own vpn

setup can be a bit tricky
>>
>>61192921
>legal restrictions
legal restrictions don't protect you anyway, the NSA just ignores them. Or gets their secret rubber-stamp court to issue a secret order telling to provider to let them have things.

Of course if your adversary isn't a three-letter agency, adding jurisdictional hurdles is still pretty valuable. A copyright troll may very well give up when faced with having to go get a court order in some other country. The administrative cost would outweigh the expected return, since they couldn't just send their form-letter nastygram to a compliant local ISP.
>>
>>61192530
>windscribe

They're very cagey when asked what kind of stuff they're logging.

I don't trust them.
>>
>>61192964
>Of course if your adversary isn't a three-letter agency
But that's clearly what the post I responded to was talking about.
>>
>>61188472
They fixed the congestion by adding a bunch of new servers recently, but the speed was shit for a couple months.

It's good that they fixed it (I get 100/100 now), but it shouldn't have taken them 2+ months.
>>
>>61192998
There are more government adversaries than just the NSA. FBI, state and local law enforcement, or other arms of the government. (for instance, many state universities filter all internet access on campus)

And "I would never trust US companies to keep my data private" encompasses both all of that, and the fact that there are very few restrictions on what private-sector companies in the US can collect, use, share, and sell. (Why do you think the most privacy-invasive companies, like Google and Facebook, are American?)
>>
>>61190688
>>61190701
PIA didn't tell the FBI to fuck off.
They complied with the FBI orders, but they had nothing to turn over.
>>
>Paying money to download things for free
>>
>>61193064
Your sophistry is tiresome.

>US the govt has godmode on

is clearly not referring to state universities and local yokels. Plz anon. This is getting embarrassing.
>>
>>61192986
Using it right now. They log bandwidth consumption, and enforce P2P bans on servers where it is prohibited. They also have a policy saying they'd give up records (if they had any). Their records to my knowledge are the past 30 days of data transferred.

Use SOCKS5 + VPN.
>>
>>61193109
You have to defend against local yokels, ad companies, and so on to defend against the NSA anyway. They'll collect data from other people who already have it, saves them the trouble of collecting it themselves.
>>
>>61193080
>They complied with the FBI orders

Since they are US based, either that or be shut down for obstructing justice and subject to additional scrutiny. They're in a position equivalent of operating a hotel and keeping no ledger.
>>
>>61193080
so why aren't they shut down like lavabit?
>>
>>61193265
Lavabit shutdown because the servers obviously contained e-mails and the servers were seized.

PIA is saying that they were nothing to seize since they don't log to begin with, so FBI can't glean anything from running forensics on the hardware.

It sounds kinda far fetched though (if FBI were desperate, they could have forced PIA to let them inspect the servers on site and did live memory dumps to see if there's anything useful).
>>
>>61188277
I just want a good vpn that won't sell out to anyone or give up my info like pussies, any answers for Houston Tx user?
>>
>>61193497
Mullvad is the best bet among the mainstream choices.
>>
>>61192458
They have presets for everything. It's pretty much you click what package you want installed for torrent, and you can run sql or an openvpn server.
>>
>>61193497
I'm in Texas and I use PIA. I'm the same fag from above. Had no issues.
>>
What I wanna know is. Which VPN's have not been banned from posting on 4chins.
>>
>>61193678
BolaVPN had a good run where they had no banned IP's.

Hola had a SHIT TON of VPN's that you could use with 4chan. I even used Iraq VPN to shitpost when ISIS was hot (probably a really dumb idea)
Of course then it was revealed how bad Hola was and soon Hola banned people from accessing 4chan
>>
VPN shilling is getting really bad. Disgusting VPN operators can't wait to mine and sell your traffic.
>>
>>61193814
t. fbi
>>
>>61193885
>implying VPN merchants don't work with intelligence
>>
>people actually believe their VPN doesn't keep logs

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHHA
>>
>>61188277
pia is absolute shit garbage, not nearly enough protection and slow speeds aswell as broken killswitch.
fuck that.
>>
>>61192960
except the problem with that is all you're doing is moving your egress point from one location to another. if you use a vpn service your traffic is mixed in amongst a lot of other peoples traffic, and you can choose different countries to route through.
>>
Thoughts on AirVPN?
>>
>>61193934
>>61193885
>>61193814
VPN shilling, if it does happen on /g/, is with services so minor they are insignificant. Many VPNs employ social media/referral link incentives that make the shillery obvious on its face.

For all other memeing, look at "That One Privacy Guy's" comparison graph, it's reasonably objective.

>>61198681
>>61192960
Setup is pretty tricky goyim! Also, your VPS host has the records!
>>
any Hamachi alternative?

I want to connect to a computer behind NAT but don't want to deal with all the hassle like setup a VPN server or relay etc etc
>>
PIA
>>
Nord is pretty slow.
Never buy a years worth, always trial or buy a month before locking yourself into a contract, I spent a couple of weeks bouncing between trials and I ended up settling on PIA.

Their software could do with some improvement but I'm easily hitting 200Mb on a 220Mb line through PIA which would never happen with NordVPN (much slower).
>>
>>61188518
Sheet, is Windsribe really that bad? I was thinking about getting that 1 year license for 12 dollars on HumbleBundle.
>>
>>61199312
Windscribe is appalling. So slow that I can't even watch Youtube with it running without tons of buffering. Maybe the Humble Bundle influx overloaded them or something, but right now it's near-unusable.
>>
>>61199509
Ok, so I went through with it and it runs pretty well, I can easily watch 1080p without any problem. What server are you connected to?
>>
Doublehop.me
>>
>>61200063
Literally any server. But you're right, I just tried it and it's working fine right now. But it's also Monday morning. Yuropoors are at work and Burgercucks are just getting up, meaning load on their network right now is as low as it's ever going to get. See how you feel about it at peak times, because this is the first time I've seen acceptable speeds.
>>
>>61188354
mullvad owned by TPB? I think you're thinking of ipredator.se
>>
>>61188678
name one example of a good VPN that doesn't advertise. I triple dog dare you
>>
>>61188354
>mullvad
agree, mullvad with openvpn client is the way to go, you usually get around 10mbit/s download which is alright
>>
It's scary how many people are unironically recommending PIA.
>>
>>61200423
But you know it's good, because it's cheap and based in the USA, the land of freedom!
>>
>>61200423
damn dude youre so edgy AND intellect refusing to compromise your personal integrity by using a fascist made-in-the-USA product because of your private !
>>
>>61188277
ProtonVPN has a feature called secure core that you might be interested in.
>>
>>61201049
Your supervisor should be flogged for letting you into the wild with such an appalling grasp of English. You're exposing the whole operation, Pajeet! Stop!
>>
Buy a VPS.
>>
>>61201120
Bad english is fine. It's when they start demanding things like fair pay or vacation time when they get their H1B cancelled and they get sent back to india.
H1B is an awful system of enslavement.
>>
>>61188277
Do not get NordVPN! I just got it for a month and this shit is so inconsistent. Sometimes the speed is fine, other times it's the slowest shit I've ever seen and I have to turn it off to browse.
>>
>>61201583
Then use a different server, idiot. Don't even try to tell me that you've tested them all, as there are a couple of thousand. There are even some that you can post on 4chan with without a pass.
>>
>>61201636
+0.5$ deposited to your VPN shill account
>>
>>61188277
PIA is legit and it's pretty fast but my connection can only hit 3MB/s anyways
Thread posts: 102
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.