[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dumbing down of GNOME Shell UX

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: 1481789815439.png (53KB, 682x741px) Image search: [Google]
1481789815439.png
53KB, 682x741px
What's wrong with GNOME devs? Why do they keep on removing features from DE? It's maddening how much was removed from GNOME and how shitty Nautilus is now.
Also, hamburger menus all over... wtf? Who came up with that brilliant idea? Hamburger menus are popular on mobile because of limited space but on a desktop??? WTF!
I have a work-issued Mac laptop and macOS has 1000x more features and power settings than GNOME. Finder's god-tier while Nautilus is shit tier because they removed all the fucking features.
I loved just typing first few letters in a file manager to select the file but that's now gone in GNOME.
I just don't get it... I don't understand GNOME UX values at all. Can someone explain it to me wtf is going on with GNOME??
>>
>>61188269
They get free money from Red Hat so they can just cut down features and implement retarded designs, and if you get mad at their incompetence they just say the >muh extensions meme
>>
>>61188269
>I loved just typing first few letters in a file manager to select the file but that's now gone in GNOME.
Seriously, is there an extension that brings this back?
>>
>>61188411
I'm not sure what you're talking about. What file manager are you using?
>>
>>61188411
No. You have to switch file managers.
>>
>>61188616
i think he is talking about the search that pops up when you type something in nautilus, when before it worked like windows explorer, where it would just select a file
>>
Well, Ubuntu are moving to GNOME 3 soon.
One more reason not to install Ubuntu with default DE.
I do agree with you very much, OP. GNOME 3 sucks.
I also really hate the "modern" GUI design that a lot of DEs and a lot of other OS and software (such as Windows 10), where they use very plane colors and it mostly looks like a phone.
>>
Anyone else noticed how hard it is to move windows around now without a proper title bar? they have that thick bar at the top (where hamburger menus reside) and it's usually full of shit which makes it impossible to find empty space you can click and drag around.
>>
File: 1493341649464.jpg (24KB, 308x302px) Image search: [Google]
1493341649464.jpg
24KB, 308x302px
I miss GNOME 2...
Is it cinnamon or mate GNOME 2 fork..?
>>
>>61189114
Cinnamon kept all of the good stuff from GNOME2 and improved on it. Nemo is so much more usable than Nautilus now.
>>
>>61188905
>plane
>>
>>61188269
This "users are idiots, and are confused by functionality" mentality of Gnome is a disease. If you think your users are idiots, only idiots will use it. I don't use Gnome, because in striving to be simple, it has long since reached the point where it simply doesn't do what I need it to do.

Torvalds, Linus (2005-12-12). Message to [email protected] mailing list. Retrieved on 2006-08-28.
>>
>>61188411
Yes on arch there's nautilus-typeahead in the AUR
>>
>>61189114
MATE is the fork of GNOME 2, Cinnamon is different but also fairly good.
>>
>>61188832
That's odd. It works amazingly fine on my machine. I didn't even realize Nautilus had this feature, I typically use pcmanfm.
>>
>>61189134
>ginormous fucking wasted space on the right margin of the sidebar before the text cuts off
jej
>>
>>61189507
that's where eject buttons for devices are you baka.
>>
Nautilus can't open terminal in location (there is plugin for that though) or create empty file (no plugin afaik)
Muh plugins, good think Gnome Tweak Tools to manage them isn't in stock installation.
The Activities and "Show Applications" really seem to be for tablet. No one uses GNU/Linux on tablets. Also cut names and has no categories.
Window snapping still only on halves and locks the window so you can't adjust it.
Battery icon shows no real difference between 80% and 20%.
>>
>>61189582
>and locks the window so you can't adjust it
This pisses me off so much. I often use windows side by side making up roughly 1/3 and 2/3 of the screen and Gnome just doesn't support that.
>>
>>61189582
>or create empty file
It can, you have to place an empty file under ~/Templates
>>
Just add a dock and get over with it
Gnome 3 criticism what year is this, 2011?
>>
>>61189640
Wow, thanks
>>
>>61188269
I'll hand it to GNOME that the extensions for Shell have really taken off and I like their idea of 'pick what you like from the base up' method instead of DE's like KDE that throw everything in to a somewhat poorly-designed cohesion.

All GNOME need to do is enable the extensions idea with Nautilus and a few other core applications, for example, and it'll be sweet.
>>
>>61189708
Extensions have two massive flaws.
They still need to be installed throuhg a fucking web browser.
Half of the will break with the next major Gnome update.
>>
>>61189953

Some dude told me they can be searched for in the software center. Haven't had a chance to try tho. Using Unity atm.
>>
>>61190050
Indeed, plugins are now in software center. There are no screenshots or popularity sorting. Also search there only works globally, not on specific category.
>>
>>61188269
>I loved just typing first few letters in a file manager to select the file but that's now gone in GNOME.
This is my #1 gripe about Gtk+3. It's fucking infuriating.
>>
>>61189953
I agree. I believe the API is stable for extensions now so all they'd need to do is integrate the extensions search in to the Tweak Tool, perhaps.
>>
>>61189546
>my home folders need to be ejected
>>
>>61189114
Neither. Just use KDE or XFCE and spend 20 minutes tweaking them to look like GNOME 2.
>>
This is what installing extensions looks like right now.

Not too bad compared to installing via a website. It needs to be split in at least two categories though. One that is supported by canonical or gnome so shit doesn't break and one where you are on your own.

Obviously also needs to looks nicer, but the functionality is there.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.