[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>reading this >is mostly shit I already know from java

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

>reading this
>is mostly shit I already know from java tutorials and /g/ memes
>tfw I was memed by /g/
>>
>>61187136
>mostly shit I already know from java tutorials
But it isn't. K&R is supposed to be an introduction to the C programming language for already experienced programmers, not an introduction to programming itself. Stop thinking that it's supposed to teach programming.
>>
>>61187263

What would be the best book for an introduction to programming ?
>>
File: 1499009531810.png (116KB, 694x801px) Image search: [Google]
1499009531810.png
116KB, 694x801px
>>61187136
C is written by idiots like this
>>
>>61187263
So is a waste of time It seems that book, is 99% of shit I already know when I was learning java and pointers.

>>61187410
start with java, seriously.
then move to C++ or C.
>>
>>61187446
Java will give you brain damage, and make it more difficult to learn C or C++ afterwards.
>>
>>61187424
Oh yes, tell that to the fellas that write operating systems.
>>
>>61187457
is easier and will teach the basics.
also, is good enough to get an entry level job.

>>61187477
>all programming is just OS coding
>>
>>61187136
Well, C is one of the only languages that let's you grasp some important aspects on hardware and low level programming and still use some elegant high level structures. Besides the C language is highly orthogonal and redigible.
>>
>>61187523
>redigible
wat
>>
>>61187424
>what are loops ?
>>
>>61187523
It's not that, is that C is so simple, 99% of the book will be covered by the same shit learning to java tutorials will cover (data types, execution flow, order of operations) and some shit like pointers and bitwise operators.

Ah, I forgot the UNIX OS, which is pretty useless today.
>>
>>61187545
Not him but I'm guessing it was readable
>>
>>61187489
Not all programming is OS coding, but I can't think of something that cannot be programmed in C. You can program games with openGL, you can program we applications with CGI, you can program GUI applications with GTK and so on, and so on...

Besides, almost every programming language borrows some elements of the C syntax, so, if you know C you can understand almost any other code in any other language. Exceptions to this rule like Prolog, Haskell are quite rare.
>>
>>61187671
C is fine, but I won't recommend it to a begginer.

you don't put your kid into a BMX bike when he's just learning to use a toddler bike.
>>
>>61187671
Same thing can be said about assembler, but that doesn't mean that people should learn it.

We use higher level programming languages because they abstract some of the ugly parts (e.g. pointers).

If anon learns Java, he might use a hash table without knowing how it works, but maybe he'll know that it finds stuff in O(1).

If he learns C knowing that, when he actually goes ahead and makes a hash table implementation he'll understand why it works in O(1).
>>
>>61187545
I meant writability, It was a typo. For more information on writability regarding programming languages read "Concepts of Programming Languages" from Robert Sebesta. I don't think C code have too much readability.
>>
File: IMG_20170702_184103125.jpg (2MB, 2340x2986px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170702_184103125.jpg
2MB, 2340x2986px
>>61187136
Started reading pic related.
Feels pretty good, mang.
>>
>>61187785
Posting the link of the book here in order to make /g less illiterated.

http://www.kau.edu.sa/GetFile.aspx?id=203014&fn=Book.pdf
>>
>>61187831
You can thank King Abdulaziz and his glorious university for the free book.

Praise Allah.
Allahu Akbar.
>>
>>61187709
I learned programming using C language as my first language, and it was fine. The thing is, the learning curve is steep, and in the beginning you will type stuff that you don't quite know the purpose or the meaning.
>>
>>61188078
sure, but like I said, java is easier.
>>
>>61188132
Java will also impair you. The bits that look like C or C++ are deceptive and just confuse you.
>>
>>61188147
It depends, I would say learning C is not needed for a lot of fields of programming.

you don't need C performance for bussiness applications.
>>
>>61188147
I hear this meme all the time. Care to share an example?
>>
>>61188132
easy how? Explain this shit to us anon.
>>
>>61188308
no having to deal with memory makes it easier for begginers.
>>
>>61188308
anon is too lazy to RAII and needs GC
>>
>>61188333
GC is fine for non real time applications faggot.

>everything is muh games
>>>/v/
>>
>>61188369
>throttling performance because you're literally too dumb to clean up after yourself
>>
>>61188572
>performance for some bussiness aplication your boss will demand you to code in java because his legacy 30 year old framework is made in java
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.