[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

REFS File System

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: ReFS-Logo.jpg (39KB, 600x233px) Image search: [Google]
ReFS-Logo.jpg
39KB, 600x233px
Anyone been using this in there home server deployments? Seems like it'd be a nice way to help fight bitrot without having to go over to "alternative" oses. In my testing on a VM, my existing backup software (Macrium V6),sees the REFS volume and therefore can backup/clone it without problem. I'm testing Server 2012R2 for awhile before I actually install it and migrate all data/users over from old server os.
>>
>>61178191
Microsoft deprecated it a few years ago. Windows 10 doesn't even support it out of the box.
>>
>>61178199
>Microsoft deprecated it a few years ago. Windows 10 doesn't even support it out of the box.

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/refs-support-in-windows-10-creators-update-v1703.73874/
>>
>ReeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeFS
>>
>>61178191
>REFS
I tried using it to make an array with a couple different sized disks. It's a piece of shit that craps itself if everything isn't the exact same size.
>use 100 GB in a 4 TB array
>get errors about it being full
The smallest drive in it was fucking 250 GB so I have no idea how the fucked up enough to make it shit itself after a hundred.
>>
>>61178725
you need to change your provisioning from thin to fixed. you need to delete the entire thing and start from scratch

>>61178191
been running if for awhile, it's pretty much trash tier.
no shadow copy, dedup, quotas, compression or encryption.
jbod raid performance is shit, the tiered storage doesn't seem to do what it's supposed to do and if you want to remove/add or make changes the feature you need to delete the while raid.

Stick to zfs btrfs
>>
>>61179041
>you need to delete the entire thing and start from scratch
I did and I went with ZFS instead.
>>
>>61178191
Does it have double/triple parity?
>>
>>61179072
good choice, anon
>>
Available options with REFS are:
Simple Volume = Zero protection
Two Way mirror = Raid 1
Three Way Mirror = Data is copied to three drives, can lose any two drives before data is gone, needs 5 drives at minimum
Also can enable (via powershell) data checksum for whole volumes so if a file is corrupt it can be replaced with a good copy. Must use it in conjunction with Two/Three way mirror option though before this is useful. There is third option and that is create a Parity volume (Raid-5) but you can't use REFS with it only NTFS for some reason. Now this is what is available with Server 2012R2, in Win Ten/Server 2016 they might have changed things a bit.
>>
I think the whole bitrot thing has gotten way way outta hand. Your most common causes of bitrot (data corruption) are hardware failure (Drives/add in cards) or due to sudden power failures/improper shutdowns the data doesn't get written/parity checks done completely. Backups and a UPS will solve these two problems to a point. Nothing is perfect. But using both will mitigate the problem. Alternative oses, no mater what kind of file system they use are still bound by these two things (hardware & power) and are still subject to these issues.
>>
Screw Server 2012/REFS/FreeNas/etc. My current WHS 2011 server has been running fine. I have backups,I have raid, and I use a UPS to shutdown the server properly if the main power fails. It ain't like I'm supporting 5000 users who'll kill me if the server is down for maintenance issues (drive failure/expansion)
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.