[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

eBook Readers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: ereader.png (179KB, 700x595px) Image search: [Google]
ereader.png
179KB, 700x595px
Anyone recommend a decent eReader that isn't entirely shit but doesn't try to do everything for a ridiculous premium?

All I require is an SD slot, decent battery life, and for it to be rugged enough to survive travelling in a bag every other day.

eReader thread I guess.
>>
I use an aluratek libre
>>
>>61175546
The old Kindles were great (no SD, though).

New Kindles are a lot worse. Worse design. Worse battery. Slower page turn times.
>>
File: aluratek-libre-21.jpg (22KB, 500x315px) Image search: [Google]
aluratek-libre-21.jpg
22KB, 500x315px
>>61175556
Should add that mine is an older model. No touchscreen but the battery lasts forever.
>>
used kobo
>>
>>61175546

I picked up a nook simple touch at a pawn shop recently. $20 and basically unused.

It meets all those requirements, but I would still recommend a cast so that it doesn't get scratched.
>>
>>61175546
Kobo Aura, the first edition, is pretty great. Screen is flush with front so no gunk buildup. Sadly, I destroyed mine by carrying it in my weekend bag with my laptop and found out they discontinued the model.
>>
What do people here think of the high-end kobos? They appeal to me because they read damn near everything out of the box without fucking around with jailbreaks or any shit like that

Currently using my 9.7" iPad for reading, which works great if you're reading with adequate light but is hard on the eyes for reading in bed
>>
>>61175546
Pocketbook aqua 2 for the comfy reading in pool.

It supports epubs and other various formats. Can reflow pdf.
>>
Kobo Glo, HD if you want, H2O if you ever wanna go to the pool/beach/bathtub with it. They all do SD with huge battery and will read most everything out of the box. You can even install custom things and fiddle with them if you want
>>
>>61176465
Had a Kobo H2O for a couple of years now, pure comfy
>>
>>61176465
Aura H2O and Aura HD owner here. You should fuck with jailbreaking anyways because Nickel (the stock firmware) is garbage.
>>
>>61176294
I made that mistake once - the e-ink screens are pretty vulnerable. Using a cover is pretty much mandatory.
>>
>>61175546
I have an aura one, all it needs is an SD slot. Screen is great coming from DX.
>>
>>61177037
What kind of improvements do jailbreaks offer? I don't really notice a lot of problems with the stock firmware. I recently updated and noticed that they gave the home screen a fresh appearance.
>>
>>61177677
It's mostly performance. The default library indexing is extremely slow and can be very buggy and the reading performance leads much to be desired, some times lagging out and suddenly rebooting or not registering your touches for like 2-5 seconds and then registering about 20 of them at the same time.

And of course, to use a dictionary you need to convert everything to kepub.

It might have been just the state of the firmware when I bought the e-readers, though.
>>
>>61177718
Now you mention it, I've noticed that before. My first Aura didn't really have that problem but the one I have now (Glo, I believe) does suffer from issues occasionally.
Is a jailbreak really more stable?
>>
>>61176594
new stock firmware of the glo hd is pretty good. sprung for the sleepcover and all, if only i had the motivation to read more. thing is packed with books from my to read list.
>>
>>61175546
I wan to get a blackberry passport as a phone/book reader. screen seems wild and big enough.
>>
>>61177770
My personal experience is that backlit LCD screens suck for reading. Paper or e-ink works much, much better, even with front-lit screens for in the dark. I recommend you go for an e-reader.
>>
>>61177761
It was, but looking at it right now, apparently there is some issue with the firmware version 4.2.8432 or higher, so you might want to wait for the next release of Kobo Start Menu unless you fancy a downgrade.

I didn't upgrade my firmware at all, so I'm still in the launch version because there were other incidents like that in the past.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.