[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Digging around in an old "junk" box from my attic and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

File: 5637.jpg (13KB, 600x378px) Image search: [Google]
5637.jpg
13KB, 600x378px
Digging around in an old "junk" box from my attic and i found an unopened 56K USB modem i forgot i had.
Bought back in 2008 i think for god knows why.

any use for this? or is it literal junk now with zero possibility for usefulness?
>>
>>61168456

Keep it just in case.

I stil lhave a 3850 new in the box that I bought somehow and never touched.
>>
hmmm this is making me want to buy an emergency dialup modem. what should I get?
>>
>>61168493

Make sure it's hardware based and not one of hte fucking emulated on cpu ones
>>
>>61168475
>Keep it just in case.

There is a problem here

currently the FCC is allowing the PSTN to sunset in 2020. meaning Telephone companies are free to "turn off" all copper phone lines then and force people onto their digital phone lines.

someone last week posted about Frontier flat out refusing to repair a downed phoneline in his yard that he still was paying for landline service. Frontier claimed he was the only person using that line and repairing it would be too expensive.

dial up modems, from what i understand are unable to work on digital lines. something about no dial tones
>>
>>61168456
Make it do telephony shit if you have the drivers? This shit is extremely obsolete.
>>
If it's compatible with Linux, you can use it to connect a Dreamcast to the internet for online play via a RaspPi
>>
>>61168571
They have to by law for 911 services. At least in the land of the free.
>>
>>61168659
i dont think so anymore...
>>
>>61170246
yeah now you just use facebook for that
>>
Get a war dialer and try to find some carriers.
>>
>>61168493
If there's anyone who will answer.

My parents got to choose between a ridiculous price hike for analog telephony or live with the modem. Didn't matter that much as they had a cellphone each. The landline's just there for the rapidly shrinking number of living distant relatives they can't get on the Internet.
>>
>>61172872
The biggest pro that most people argue is that the analog landline works in a power outage for weeks at a time.
the digital line lasts, at most, 24 hours.
>>
>>61168456
If kids nowadays picked up a phone and heard a modem screech on the other end, they'd think they were being hacked.
>>
>>61168456
It it's an actual USRobotics modem, you can get $60 for it on eBay.
>>
>>61170357
lol hi 911 I think my dad is having a heartattack or smth idk
he just sort of fell down and now he wont wake up lol i tried screaming to wake him up but the neighbors got mad culd u send an amulance or smth but pls make it quick im going out with the girls in 5 minutes

luv becky
>>
>>61168456
bbs. might find some interesting stuff on them.
>>
>>61173929
Thats giving them a bit too much credit.
>>
>>61168456
You can probably have it listen in and block telemarketing calls, there are a couple of programs out there, not sure if it picks up caller id though.
>>
File: frswt.jpg (4KB, 160x151px) Image search: [Google]
frswt.jpg
4KB, 160x151px
What if you dont have a land line?
>>
>>61168456
You can connect Dreamcast to the Internet with it. It definitely has some value for someone.
>>
>>61168456
use it for dialup over voip for extra obfuscation layer
>>
i tried to use one of these usb modems and hylafax to convert incoming faxes to pdf. it was bizaarly slow, compared to an actual fax machine. I think it took more than a minute per page
>>
>>61168571

what will happen to people who live in rural areas and don't have access to high speed internet services (besides satellite services) and still depend on their land lines for communications? Will they be expected to sign up for intermittent cellular data plans?
>>
>>61180535
satellite internet services
>>
>>61180535
WiMax soon, brother.
>>
>>61180535
I am on satellite and it fucking sucks. I have 20gb of data and the latency is 2000ms, if it's overcast or raining, then no internet.
>>
>>61168456
There are still a lot of systems still controlled by DTMF phone line signaling.

My apartment building has a buzzer system where someone hits a button by the door, your phone rings, then you can push "6" to let them in. I lost one of my keys and just setup an old PC with modem to answer, wait for a password, then dial "6".
>>
>>61180702
It is dead isn't
>>
>>61168571
>dial up modems, from what i understand are unable to work on digital lines. something about no dial tones

I work with Fax servers, and this is mostly true. The gist of the problem is that the Dial up modem is expecting analog modulated electric pulses, not Digital on/off pulses.
>>
>>61181128
so if you dont have an only POTS landline, then a modem is useless?

and even more so if you cant get regular landline service anymore?
>>
>>61168456
Dial up WOPR and play thermonuclear war, or tic-tac-toe.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.