[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't you use Linux at work?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 6

File: walmart.png (577KB, 510x909px) Image search: [Google]
walmart.png
577KB, 510x909px
I make minimum wage and use Linux everyday on my handheld at Walmart. What's your excuse?
>>
I use 3+ computers running all kinds of gahnoo+loonix at the same time. Git gut wallmarx kid.
>>
>>61167170
this
>>
Fuck even Burger King point of sale machines run Linux and so do their menu boards and screens displaying orders.
>>
I do?
>>
>company bases entire workflow on Linux
>basically all work is done on Linux
>the rest in Solaris
>literally no defined work processes happen on windows
>they offer windows laptops with access to Linux virtualized environment
I have no idea what is wrong with them
>>
>>61166790
Holy shit your handhelds were linux? ours were fucking windows.... windows 2000.
>>
>>61166790
used to work for a firm that did point of sale software
shit was all windows
shit was all insecure
shit all used default passwords
i have no idea how that company lasted so long
>>
Fake, Why would a company like Walmart use loonix
>>
I don't think Wally world pays minimum wage anymore.
>>
>>61167666
A holy operating system.
>>
SUSE Linu
>>
>>61166790
That bullshit zebraOS barely counts as Linux and most stores are still using MC9000s. Also the FUCKING WIRE RUNS ON WINDOWS SERVER. the back end of the telzon also runs on Windows server but don't quote me I could be wrong on that one.
>>
>>61168069
Yes it does. Literally every employee starts at minimum wage in almost every state.

>>61168039
The use a variant of Android on their mobile inventory devices. They're light-years ahead of the old MC9000 series which ran on Windows CE but half of the core utilities most of the employees use are basically run on an emulation layer. That being said at least they don't lock up every hour the way the older devices did, and at least you can force close the program instead of standing there like an idiot in front of a customer while your handheld reboots. They can also be used by customer service managers to remotely override some things on registers.
>>
>>61168314
>every employee starts at minimum wage in almost every state.

At least 20 states have a 7.25 minimum wage, probably more states, walmart starts at 9.50
>>
>engineering software only for wangblows
>MS office has no real alternative if you do more than high school reports, plus EndNote integration
>Adobe PS, illustrator
>it jest werks
I love Linux and have it on my private laptop and desktop but I need windows
>>
Because SCALE is a superior and more manageable wide-scale warehouse distribution tool.
They have you use linux so you cant browse the internet.
>>
>tfw mcdonalds uses what I'm betting is some form of windows + dotPAJEET poosharp code on those touchscreens where you can place the order yourself.

It's horrific, but still more accurate than the retarded underage cashiers.
>>
>>61169781
No McDonald's uses html and javascript in chrome
The screens still run windows which is completely pointless but w/e
>>
there's one RHEL server in my project (out of maybe ten, all others Windows)
>>
File: file.png (321KB, 697x682px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
321KB, 697x682px
>>61166790
That thing uses windows CD though, you only remote into a suse system
>>
>>61169863
Windows CE
>>
>>61169819
RHEL is garbage anyway
SUSE is the only respectable Linux you should pay far
>>
File: 2926177857_d97c3dcef5_o.jpg (63KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
2926177857_d97c3dcef5_o.jpg
63KB, 375x500px
>>61166790
It's truly a sad moment when you see a public computer, such as a subway or bus terminal, get a bluescreen of death and reveal that it's windows and not linux

Truly a disheartening sight that makes you question taxation

fucking why london
>>
File: nietszche.jpg (83KB, 400x265px) Image search: [Google]
nietszche.jpg
83KB, 400x265px
>>61169869
>install SUSE
>kernel panic on boot
:^)
>>
>>61166790
I don't have a job.
>>
I manage 2000 Linux servers at work, I use a mbp though.
>>
>>61169979
if you don't use strictly free software anyway, mac os is honestly not a ton worse than gnu/linux. main faults are lack of default package manager and how old some of the packages on it are (like bash and vim)
>>
>>61169915
this actually happened to me
>>
I run 500 redhat servers at work.fuck redhat.
>>
>>61170123
What's so bad about RHEL?
>>
C++ on windows literally feeds my family

I'm tired of microsoft's shit though so next build is going to be linux as a vm host so I can keep windows properly contained
>>
>>61166790
cause I have no work :--)
>>
>>61170162
subscription-manager
>>
>>61170162
also, satellite6 is a steaming pile of shit
>>
>>61170287
>>61170278
Haven't had to deal with paid RH software. Our boxen are all CentOS and are managed with Pulp, Puppet, and Foreman.

Doesn't Satellite run on some old OracleDB version?
>>
>>61170123
>>61170162
>>61170278
>>61170287
I work for a large saas company. We replaced RHEL with CentOS to save money. We ditched Satellite 5 for Katello (satellite 6 upstream) and it's a total pile of shit. It so fucking slow. I'm sure it's fine if you only have a small amount of servers but we have thousands. We switched to spacewalk which performs a lot better.
>>
>>61170350
I don't work for a very large company, but we hated Katello too. Didn't leave the testing environment.

I see the reasons why some companies like enterprise software with contracts, but it's almos always a pain in the ass to administer to.
>>
I use arch for LAMP and C development
>>
>>61169907
look at Mr Fancypants here with his buses with TV's
>>
>>61166790
But everybody does somehow...
Android, Webservers, Facebook, Amazon services and their cloud, Ebay, Icloud, Google, Gmail, Wikipedia etc
>>
>>61169803
mh so it's even worse than I thought
>>
>>61170036
This.

These two points are exactly why I use Arch (plus the wiki)
Want to try GuixSD for the FLOSS though

Any idea how the init system and service management on OS X works ?
This can't be systemd :p
>>
>>61166790
But I already use Linux at work. Most of the servers I manage are Red Hat or CentOS.
>>
>>61167170
Let me guess. Autismbux?
>>
>>61167254
>>they offer windows laptops with access to Linux virtualized environment
>I have no idea what is wrong with them

probably shit driver support on consumer devices
>>
File: I5QtAWq.jpg (839KB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
I5QtAWq.jpg
839KB, 2688x1520px
I do
>>
>>61171754
Just a bit autistic looking
>>
>>61166790
>last job used a linux thin client to a linux terminal
>current job use a linux thin client to a windows box
>>
We use Ubuntu on our security cameras at work, nigger.
Some of our servers and also the pinpads for checkout use Linux

So suck a dick Walmart fag
>>
File: puzzle.jpg (834KB, 2552x1326px) Image search: [Google]
puzzle.jpg
834KB, 2552x1326px
We do every day
>>
>>61171727
That or tricked by vendors into thinking they were getting a good deal
>>
>>61172400
are you the ginger on the floor ?
>>
>>61166790
I do, my company develops EDA software for Linux
(like there are any decent EDA tools for something other than Linux)
>>
>>61172023
>>current job use a linux thin client to a windows box
Is this like the computing equivalent of a paper bag over the head?
>>
>>61173125
Our vendors are also customers do that might have something to do with it
>>
>>61172055
Why would you use Ubuntu on security cameras? Hell, I don't even know if I agree with using Linux on them, except a couple bare-bones variants. Load NetBSD up on them.
>>
>>61166790
I don't use Linux at work because I have actual fucking work to do...

If that work involved servers than sure I may use Linux.
>>
>>61166790
I'm in the 1% of highest income category in my country. I use linux erry day at home, at work and anywhere I go. Even my fucking wristwatch runs linux.

Talk about a gift from god. Thanks, Linus.
>>
My works IT is all pajeets so natually everything runs Windows 7 or Windows CE or Windows Server.

Our CMS pages can only be accessed on Internet Explorer 8.
>>
>>61173683

>If that work involved servers than sure I may use Linux.

>If that work involved computer related tasks not specifically revolving around Windows IT than sure I may use Linux.

ftfy
>>
>>61166790
many of these use windows ce. probably because microsoft shills told lies to retarded managers in companies.
>>
>>61166790
>Why don't you use Linux at work?
I do.
>>
>>61168100
Because of all the memory that seems to vanish into the abyss?
>>
>>61170421
They are for displaying CCTV feeds.
>>
>>61166790
I mean lets get real for a moment. You install windows 10 in about 45 minutes and for most linuxes its about the same but remember. Biggest base linuxes are about 1 gigabytes or 2 while windows 10 can be more than 5 gigabytes of data. And what happens when you open them. On the linux there are about 2 functional buttons, 3 are nonfunctional and in those two buttons there are some pictures to play with. Maybe slide down or up. On windows though, you feel like a god. Its professional its fast, its all functional. You have a godlike user interface. The thing that the linux does not have. You have those two buttons in the linux, but you still search google for codes to write in terminal. Linux is free because its not worth a penny. Nobody would sell a paper without taking the money. Just not sure why people still buy android while windows phone does 10 times more. Trust me. When you work with windows you know some genius ground breaker dedicated himself to give you an operational os
>>
>>61166790
Because I don't have a job
>>
>>61171727
Linux has quite good printer support though
Printers and scanners are not a weakness of Linux
>>
>Kernel 3.0.101
Holy shit, Wal-mart actually spent money upgrading their back-end? Before I quit, it was some ancient 2.6 kernel, and there was an operation that would segfault 90% of time.
>>
>>61166790
I work as an engineer.
I use Linux to make programs, I use Linux on the platforms I build.
It shouldnt impact you what kind of OS your scanner uses.
>>
>>61176424
>Trust me. When you work with windows you know some genius ground breaker dedicated himself to give you an operational os

I'm a developer in Windows and contribute to the NT kernel. (Proof: the SHA1 hash of revision #102 of [Edit: filename redacted] is [Edit: hash redacted].) I'm posting through Tor for obvious reasons.

Windows is indeed slower than other operating systems in many scenarios, and the gap is worsening. The cause of the problem is social. There's almost none of the improvement for its own sake, for the sake of glory, that you see in the Linux world.

Granted, occasionally one sees naive people try to make things better. These people almost always fail. We can and do improve performance for specific scenarios that people with the ability to allocate resources believe impact business goals, but this work is Sisyphean. There's no formal or informal program of systemic performance improvement. We started caring about security because pre-SP3 Windows XP was an existential threat to the business. Our low performance is not an existential threat to the business.

See, component owners are generally openly hostile to outside patches: if you're a dev, accepting an outside patch makes your lead angry (due to the need to maintain this patch and to justify in in shiproom the unplanned design change), makes test angry (because test is on the hook for making sure the change doesn't break anything, and you just made work for them), and PM is angry (due to the schedule implications of code churn). There's just no incentive to accept changes from outside your own team. You can always find a reason to say "no", and you have very little incentive to say "yes".
>>
>>61176485
There's also little incentive to create changes in the first place. On linux-kernel, if you improve the performance of directory traversal by a consistent 5%, you're praised and thanked. Here, if you do that and you're not on the object manager team, then even if you do get your code past the Ob owners and into the tree, your own management doesn't care. Yes, making a massive improvement will get you noticed by senior people and could be a boon for your career, but the improvement has to be very large to attract that kind of attention. Incremental improvements just annoy people and are, at best, neutral for your career. If you're unlucky and you tell your lead about how you improved performance of some other component on the system, he'll just ask you whether you can accelerate your bug glide.

Is it any wonder that people stop trying to do unplanned work after a little while?

Another reason for the quality gap is that that we've been having trouble keeping talented people. Google and other large Seattle-area companies keep poaching our best, most experienced developers, and we hire youths straight from college to replace them. You find SDEs and SDE IIs maintaining hugely import systems. These developers mean well and are usually adequately intelligent, but they don't understand why certain decisions were made, don't have a thorough understanding of the intricate details of how their systems work, and most importantly, don't want to change anything that already works.

These junior developers also have a tendency to make improvements to the system by implementing brand-new features instead of improving old ones. Look at recent Microsoft releases: we don't fix old features, but accrete new ones. New features help much more at review time than improvements to old ones.
>>
>>61176472
arent updates for linux free tho?
>>
>>61176509
Testing updates isn't free
>>
>>61166790
Because the project I'm working is written with C# in Visual Studio, and uses the Microsoft Office Interop libraries. Why would I use Linux?
>>
>>61166790
At Office Depot we use SUSE.
>>
>>61169907
It was a truly sad moment for me when I was 21 and woke up one day and realized I have never kissed a girl.

If a bluescreen on a bus is a truly disheartening moment for your life you either have a pretty good life or you need to get your priorities straight.
>>
>>61166790

i have literally no idea what OS my fighter jet runs. and all our contracted planning software is on windows.
>>
>>61172400
>literally one (1) half-decent looking chick
dont you have a marketing department or HR or some shit
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.