[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Updating clean installs of Windows 7 in 2017

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: wsuscapture.png (30KB, 702x507px) Image search: [Google]
wsuscapture.png
30KB, 702x507px
So I have been meaning on going back to Windows 7 after being stuck with 10 on my computer due to the pure laziness of not wanting to deal with "fixes" for Windows Update.

I've already grabbed a clean W7 iso from MSDN and created an installation USB out of it using Rufus.

I'll be doing the first set of updates to the system via WSUS Offline Update but I have a question about it to anyone familiar with this update tool:
What does the [Use 'security only updates' instead of 'quality rollups'] mean? Should I put a check on its box or not?
Obviously I removed the check from [Include Service Packs] as the W7 iso already has SP1 included.

Also, how is everyone else dealing with their W7 update issues as of late?
>>
>>61164871
>>What does the [Use 'security only updates' instead of 'quality rollups'] mean?
Security only updates only have WSUS Offline download Windows Updates that relate to security. Quality Rollups are Windows Updates that fix bugs or improve things. Check that damn box.

>>Also, how is everyone else dealing with their W7 update issues as of late?
At first, I was manually downloading and installing a few updates. Started by going to the Microsoft Update Catalog at http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/ and downloading the following:
- Latest cumulative update (Security and Quality Rollup for Windows 7)
- Latest .NET update (Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.5)
- Latest Malicious Software Removal Tool (always KB890830)
- Latest IE11 cumulative update (Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7)

Disconnect from the internet, then install each one of them. After rebooting, checking for updates took about 45 minutes.

Eventually I wised up and started integrating nearly all the Windows Updates into the Windows 7 installer.
- Use Rufus to burn your Windows 7 ISO to a USB drive
- Get the Windows Automated Installation Kit from Microsoft and install it
- Google some tutorials on updating the install.wim file on the USB drive

More in next post!
>>
>>61164871
Why dont you use wupdate?
>>
>>61165792

Pro Tips!
- My install.wim file is over 5GB in size (and I haven't updated the file since January). Get a USB drive that'll be big enough to handle it. You can't burn a DVD with this, unless you go with dual-layer discs.
- Use WSUS Offline Update to download the updates. To my knowledge you can only integrate updates that are in .cab or .msu format.
- You don't need to integrate ALL the updates it downloads. It downloads updates that have been replaced by newer updates. Consider letting a fresh install of Windows 7 sit overnight checking for updates, then integrating only what Windows Update shows. You can always add more updates to your installation later.
- The usual MSDN ISOs contains 4 versions of Windows on the same disc: Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate. When mounting the install.wim file, you have to specify what index you're mounting. Make sure you mount the right one (I listed them in order).
- Speaking of those 4 versions of Windows, delete the ei.cfg file from your USB stick. You'll unlock the ability to install any edition you want from the installer.
- Any update that deals with Remote Desktop, skip it (unless you want to figure out the proper order to integrate them).
- You can integrate IE11 to your installation. Google IE11.cab.
- There are a few updates (like 4 or so maybe?) that should not be integrated. You'll see these updates will show up in Windows Update even if you do integrate them. The Microsoft KB articles for the updates in question mention this.
- Don't integrate KB3177467. After you do, you won't be able to integrate further updates (stupid bug with how this update was built).
- The integration process takes a bit of time. On my 2006 rig with Q6700 CPU and SATA II SSD, it takes 1 hour to integrate 1 version of Windows 7.

I've done this with Vista as well. On a fresh install, both Vista and Windows 7 can now find the remaining Windows Updates in about 15 minutes. Enjoy!
>>
>>61165803
Not OP, but I'll answer.
On a fresh installation of Windows 7, Windows Update will take several hours to figure out what updates you need. Even after that, you still have to download a lot of data and then install 200+ updates. It takes a crapload of time.
>>
>>61165908
Here are my notes on some of this shit.

- Integrate KB3020369 first (it's an older servicing stack update; the newer one has integration issues). You need this installed to integrate some of the newer updates.
- Integrate KB2532531 after KB2552343.
- Here is the order in which to integrate the Remote Desktop updates: KB2574819, KB2813347, KB2857650, KB2984972, KB2592687, KB2830477, KB2913751, KB2923545, KB2965788, KB2984976, KB2985461, KB3020388, KB3075226, KB3126446
- These two updates should not be integrated: KB2533552 (Windows Update will call it KB976932) and
KB2603229.
- Here's a list of select updates that dealt with Windows 10 or telemetry. Integrate them if you want to: KB2952664, KB2999226, KB3021917, KB3035583, KB3068708, KB3075249, KB3080149, KB3118401, KB3123862.

As of May, my collection of updates for Windows 7 x64 is 0.97GB worth of data for 210 updates.
>>
>>61165792
>Quality Rollups are Windows Updates that fix bugs or improve things
>Check that damn box
So you can only chose between Security or Quality? You can't have both?
>>
>>61166077
Eh, I misspoke. The Quality Rollup updates do contain security fixes.
>>
>>61164871
Does the Security Updates only option include telemetry updates?
>>
>>61164871
Application Experience
Customer Experience Improvement
Media Center
Don't you want to disable these in your iso?
>>
>>61166097.

So:
> security only updates + quality rollups
> security only updates

Is there a reason to not leave the box unchecked and have both Quality+Security updates?
>>
>>61166118
It contains at least one of the telemetry updates.

The DiagTrack (Diagnostic Tracking something something) service comes with the current Cumulative Security Update for Windows 7. Disable the service and you won't have to worry about it.
sc config DiagTrack start= disabled
net stop DiagTrack

The other telemetry updates can be placated by not participating in the Customer Experience Improvement Program. Check the Action Center Control Panel for this setting (it's hard to find).

The Get Windows 10 shit doesn't exist anymore, as far as I can tell.
>>
>>61166155
If you're hurting for hard drive space, go with Security Only.
>>
>>61166138
I know what Media Center is but I don't have any particular reason to disable it; I just don't use, just like with WMP and IE.

What are the other two?
>>
>>61166138
I highly recommend leaving Application Experience on. I've seen serious issues disabling it where the System process will fail to close file handles. :/
>>
Haven't used WSUS offline update (yet) but i have read that a lot of people choose to check the security only box as the quality rollups include telemetry and botched updates.
>>
>>61166244
It does download updates that have been replaced by newer updates. I wouldn't doubt that it includes the telemetry updates, but on Windows 7 they can be easily dealt with.

Disable the Customer Experience Improvement Program and disable the DiagTrack service.
>>
>>61166334
I think that by botched he means buggy updates, not superseded.
>>
Seems like a heck of a lot of work. I want to do this with 8.1, integrate updates on an iso so I don't have to wait for 4 hours to update that shit.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.