[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this the largest scam in the history of human kind? I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: 1489395588115.jpg (128KB, 1388x881px) Image search: [Google]
1489395588115.jpg
128KB, 1388x881px
Is this the largest scam in the history of human kind? I've been in contact with probably a million of computers without a single one being damaged due to electrostatic discharge. Heck, I haven't even had a single occurrence of electrostatic discharge.
>>
ESD don't have to be visible or audible to do damage, you'd have no idea until the thing stops working.

That said, ESD is less of a problem in recent years due to better shielding and ESD protection. This was a major concern years ago, but still poses a relatively minor risk today. Better safe than sorry, especially if you're working on someone else's shit for money.
>>
It really depends on the environment. In some places static electricity builds up really easily and there is a real risk.

This is rare though.
>>
>>61152964
this
>>
File: 53009.jpg (44KB, 571x320px) Image search: [Google]
53009.jpg
44KB, 571x320px
>>61152939
No, ESD is real. Modern computer components are designed to take some ESD abuse from idiots. Other components are more sensitive.

Also, ESD damage can be quite hard to diagnose, for example, bad RAM causing BSOD a few years later.

The price of an ESD bracelet is negligible in comparison to the price of a computer so why risk it?
>>
>>61153002
>No, ESD is real. Modern computer components are designed to take some ESD abuse from idiots. Other components are more sensitive.
How does this even works? How can you secure your parts from short circuits coming from outside?
>>
>>61153332
https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/137643/how-does-a-diode-clamping-circuit-protect-against-overvoltage-and-esd
>>
Just touch a radiator or something grounded before you touch any computer parts, then you shouldn't have a problem.
>>
I made diy bracelet. Just use tin foil under adhesive tape on your arm, use aligator clip on it, and clip the other end to a screw, radiator, or shielded connector
>>
>>61152939
The first piece of PCB i ever put my hands on caused me ESD, so from then onward it put these straps on.
>>
>>61153499
This. Plus a wooden table.
>>
>>61153499
Does touching my dick work just as well? I'm standing on the ground so I'm grounded.
>>
>ESD damage can be quite hard to diagnose
>bad RAM causing BSOD a few years later.
Gee.. it's almost as if it's completely made up?
>>
>>61154891
>large static discharge on RAM stick
>more than what the protection diode can handle
>fucks up a few memory cells
>OS uses bad memory
>causes instability
>>
>>61154836
It has to be something other than your own body. So you can touch my dick instead.
>>
>>61154891
he's not making it up. i've done a couple years in failure analysis at national semiconductor and can attest to "far removed" ESD effects. ESD can cause weak spots in capacitor and chip dielectrics. over time, these weak spots grow and eventually cause failures in whatever they are in.

ESD protection is indeed a lot better today than it was years ago, but grounding straps are generally a good idea.
>>
It's simple: if you live somewhere humid it's likely not a problem. If you live somewhere dry then you'll deal with more static electricity
>>
File: 1496691343341.png (593KB, 493x619px) Image search: [Google]
1496691343341.png
593KB, 493x619px
>>61156287
ok, but how do you determine these "long term" effects had been caused by that in the first place?
>>
>>61154891
>Gee.. it's almost as if it's completely made up?
Gee.. it's almost like you should kys because only underage b& posts this quality bait
>>
>>61156287
Sounds like a pretty interesting job anon. What do you do these days?
>>
Could an ESD from handling my graphics card improperly be the reason it sometimes (once a week to once a month) it loses power for a split second, and depending the application either the screen will flash or the computer will lock up?
>>
>>61152939
most places you won't need it but when I was living up north during the winter months I used one because static would build up really fast, so much so I'd shock myself on a door knob at least once a day
>>
>>61156425
>only underage b& posts this quality bait
femanon here, just signed up today:

is this whole thread bait?
>>
>>61156414
You can't, which is why you take preventative steps to make sure your arse is covered.
>>
File: tinfoilhatguy.jpg (62KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
tinfoilhatguy.jpg
62KB, 320x240px
>>61156582
Right.
What if most gpu deaths are due to, like, ionization in your case man??? You know?
>>
>>61152939
But, but, what if you happen to have a Van der Graaf generator on your room?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhlyMdiLc0E
>>
>>61152978
Yeah, I ruined a really old Mac by touching the back of it. My house had carpet and my parents insisted on wool socks.
>>
>>61156582
so you can't prove it actually ever damaged any component? lol ok
>>
>>61152939
>Is this the largest scam in the history of human kind?
No. Gold-plated HDMI cables are
>>
No idea why chucklefucks think these things are memes. Any proper electronics lab mandates them because it turns out transistors are fragile.

Whether or not you "need" to use on to build a PC is debatable. Obviously you can without one without issue, especially if you take steps to remove any static electricity, but one of these will guarantee you never do, and they're cheap as fuck.
>>
>>61156414
you can duplicate a failure by inducing ESD and then running an accelerated lifetime test (running the part at near max load at near max temperature - acceleration factors vary) and comparing the results against a control part that didn't get hit with ESD. the failures will look the same on the accelerated ESD'd part and the "real" failed part, while the control will only have "normal" wear. this is fairly common industry practice in the FA and reliability worlds.
>>
>>61156435
i do long-term reliability testing of components in the solar industry
>>
>>61156531
>signed up
>femanon (male)
>>
>>61158785
Gold plating is useful on any electrical connector because it doesn't corrode.
>>
>>61159337
>>61156531
>implying not the whole board is bait
>>
>build parents a pc from parts they bought, touch case for grounding
>build myself a pc from parts I bought, used esd strap, touched case, prayed to the heavens
>>
>>61152939
Yes/no. You could ground yourself without it, but it's not like it doesn't do what it's designed to do.
>>
just grab the case every few minutes, not hard to discharge yourself
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.